What do you think of the Boosted Board and One-Wheel?

LanghamP

They do look cool. Especially the Inboard one. I remember one zooming past my in Hyde Park. Made my v5f+ look pretty stupid, speed wise!

However the big deal breaker for me is the need for a remote control. That ruins the minimalist nature of it. The whole fun of the euc is the concentration of the manoeuvres in just your weight distribution all over that single wheel.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk/reviews/commentary on the Gotway Moonwalk as that doesn't need a controller. Has anyone used one/heard of any problems etc?

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Have we ever seen a photo of @Hunka Hunka Burning Love

:ph34r: You don't need to see me.  Just know that...

tumblr_omabmeHbD71qb0u5go1_500.gif

Some of those larger boards look cool and quite capable, but I was thinking specifically about someone wanting a light, small option to carry them around campus for example.  They wouldn't want to lug around a large battery or have a huge board to deal with in a crowded space like in a lecture hall.  The Meepo board or Meepo penny looked "good enough."  @Mrd777 what did you think of the Meepo?

9 hours ago, Keith said:

I think the main attraction of the powered skateboards is just that - they are skateboards so something the skateboard generation are used to. I think that is, very much, a big mistake if they are used for travelling as they are the worst possible design for street use and near useless off road, but for added fun in the skatepark they are perfect.

What would you do with a powered skateboard in a skatepark? It has no nose, no tail, and the underside is too fragile because of the batteries, so you can't even go on a ledge with it.

I was actually riding my EUC along size a Boosted Board last week.  The board accelerated quickly and was climbing a slight hill.  He was riding in the street illegally (downtown Seattle), I was riding on the sidewalk dodging pedestrians - but he was outpacing me.  The Boosted seems pretty impressive.

Regarding cheaper skateboards, I tried the Yuneec E-Go and was not impressed.  (I actually bought it before buying an EUC - and returned it.)  It advertised hill climbing to 10%, but in my tests, it quickly slowed to a crawl by 5% and died at 8%.  At 5%, it was making a ton of noise and moving slower than walking speed.  What I found completely hilarious was that the instruction manual warned that going downhill should be limited to 2% to avoid possibly overloading the control circuitry.  (2% = 6 feet over the length of a football field)

The Meepo is using 2 direct drive motors, so I'd expect better results than the E-Go (1 belt-drive motor).  Never seen or tried one though.

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Who's gonna post the video of that one dude crashing and goin' dumb? 

Hmm, this one?

I've had more than a few sketchy crashes where I've almost but not quite hit my <helmeted> head. Crashing if you ride long enough seems inevitable.

My comments on oneWheel...  I bought a onewheel before my first EUC.

Due to wide tire - learning enough to move around is much easier (<2 minutes learning curve to go in a straight line).

Tighter turns (anything less than 30' diameter) on onewheel are harder than on EUC.

Falling is nasty with any speed, because you are riding side-ways:
- on EUC dismounting at even 15mph, it is pretty easier to run-out without falling down because you are facing straight forward
- on onewheel, running out is difficult even at low speeds like 4-6mph.  I dismounted once at ~9mph and did run it out -BUT- tore my hamstring pretty badly (the bruise was about 6" by 12").

Onewheel's wide tire rolls better over gravel, but is terrible on bumpy ground: Terrible because the bumps rock the nose up/down, and the nose, which is far in front of the tire, fairly easily strikes the ground leading to immediate stop (and previously mentioned sideways dismount).  Bumpy ground on up-hill slope is difficult to impossible.

EUC's narrow tire does worse in gravel; but for bumps and slopes 14" and larger EUCs are much (much!) easier than the onewheel.

Onewheel actual range is <12 miles.  Any EUC with >=300wh battery will go further than that -- most modern EUCs in the same price range go much further.

I've never snowboarded or skate boarded, but I have many hours of snow-skiing, water-skiing, and rollerskating.  I never felt comfortable doing "leaning/carving turns" on the onewheel; whereas I find the EUC leaning/carving turns.quite natural feeling (until the pedal scrapes the ground).

2 hours ago, duaner said:

Onewheel's wide tire rolls better over gravel, but is terrible on bumpy ground: Terrible because the bumps rock the nose up/down, and the nose, which is far in front of the tire, fairly easily strikes the ground leading to immediate stop (and previously mentioned sideways dismount).  Bumpy ground on up-hill slope is difficult to impossible.

I had this suspicion. Clipping my toes on the ground can be a problem even on an EUC when it is dipping the nose for some reason on uneven or steep terrain, so I figured it must be much worse with the Onewheel. I find riding in gravel with an EUC quite fun, but one needs a little getting used to.

Archived