What do you think of the Boosted Board and One-Wheel?

LanghamP

Surprisingly, I see Boosted Boards at least once per day (or the distinctive orange color), occasionally several per day, and I have also seen a scattering of One-wheels. But the Boosted Board has become quite popular.

Isn't the One-wheel essentially our unicycles with a smaller wheel and a different foot position? The skillset I would assume to be almost exactly the same as learning an EUC.

I never saw a boosted board or a one-wheel over here. (Belgium) 

But I also saw only one other euc rider in the wild over here. It was a 10 year old girl with her mom walking the dog.

I think turning is a lot harder at high speeds on a booster board. I can't imagine you can accelerate as fast as on an EUC.

Other skateboards like the Evolve or Enertion may be fine!

But the Boosted board sucks especially for its price and range.....7miles...haha

i also thought about getting a Koowheel or Meepo or Onan x2 or (put in samespecs)....but i guess the small wheels turn me off.

One wheel is a different story, in my view it throws the best/worse of EUC/skateboard in one product, but price? range? speed? all hold me off!

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Other skateboards like the Evolve or Enertion may be fine!

But the Boosted board sucks especially for its price and range.....7miles...haha

i also thought about getting a Koowheel or Meepo or Onan x2 or (put in samespecs)....but i guess the small wheels turn me off.

One wheel is a different story, in my view it throws the best/worse of EUC/skateboard in one product, but price? range? speed? all hold me off!

I echo Kingsong69 sentiments.  I get upset because my EUC won't make it 30 miles.  At 7 I'd go insane.  Also for a reputable quality longboard with the biggest battery you'd be at $1500 ish.  I can think of a few EUC's I'd rather have for that money.  

Just to try one off these should be fun i think.:D

Use to skateboard as a kid, still have that board.

As an adult i use to rollerblade quit a lot, no tricks - just distance.

But what i don't like of both is that you need a good underground, like concrete or asphalt.

So you get pretty limited with both, no forrest path, no gravel, no carriage track or so.

And what i like a lot about the euc is that you can ride it wherever you like.:clap3:

If it is in the forrest, the city, rough underground or smooth underground i can ride my euc there.

With a big battery like 1600 wh i can do about 80 km with speed above 30 km.

So for me no boosted board or one wheel!

I follow this guy for his laptop reviews but he diversified on this occasion to discuss his boosted board and a new better price competitor that sent him a unit. He is very honest in his reviews and doesn't scream at you like some youtubers do.

I see boosted boards around here quite a bit and at least one One Wheel. Investigating a boosted board purchase is what led me here.

• 5 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

https://meepoboard.com/collections/all?page=2

Meepo has some deals starting at about $160 USD for the Meepo penny and $260 for the Meepo board.  I don't know how much they charge for shipping.

Do you have to look like that to buy one :blink1:

I think the main attraction of the powered skateboards is just that - they are skateboards so something the skateboard generation are used to. I think that is, very much, a big mistake if they are used for travelling as they are the worst possible design for street use and near useless off road, but for added fun in the skatepark they are perfect. Only street advantage is that, where powered devices are banned, you could get away with them looking like a vanilla skateboard.

The One-wheel is more of a dilemma to me, all this fuss and "must have" around the hoverboard which in every respect is a very poor design - the only one likely to hurt you badly without even moving. However, the One-wheel seems to have failed to capture the public imagination, despite being so much closer to the ideal of a hoverboard, very usable in rough terrain and, I would have thought absolutely perfect for anyone experienced with a skateboard, snowboard or kite surfer to add an entirely new dimension to their fun. Poor marketing or ludicrously high price I wonder? It hasn't even got many clones on the market and those that have appeared seem to have failed to understand that the wide soft go anywhere  tyre is an important part of the design. A one wheel clone with a narrow tyre must be a very uncomfortable thing to balance on and ride and pretty much useless off road.

23 minutes ago, Keith said:

I think the main attraction of the powered skateboards is just that - they are skateboards so something the skateboard generation are used to. I think that is, very much, a big mistake if they are used for travelling as they are the worst possible design for street use and near useless off road, but for added fun in the skatepark they are perfect.

Some people may just like the skateboarding snaking movement, so I would not just say some people are simply used to skateboards. Though I have to say, the average age for the electric skateboarders seems much higher than one would expect, so maybe you have a point.

The Onewheel is pretty cool, basically a skateboard without the tiny wheel disadvantage. I think they just can't produce more of them, this is why there aren't more of those (and certainly that price).

EUCs are vastly more capable and plain better than both, of course, but we all knew that already;) Let's not look down on the kids with their cutesy toys:D

I could extensively test run a OneWheel last weekend. Here some impressions:

Stunning looks, with the wide tire. The board stance has also more "cool" factor. It does impress bystanders even more so than the electric unicycle. OneWheel is well made, rather powerful, absolutely quiet. I could easily stand on it and let go. As the wide and flat tire has so much contact surface, it does not need to balance. So you can stand on it without speed. This makes it much easier to learn. Also it runs quite smooth over rough terrain. However it comes at a drawback. It needs you to press a bit harder to steer, and the wheel then reacts abruptly, if you bring it to a slight sideways angle. Still, the OneWheel is very maneuverable and controllable. But technique is a bit different. I see the main advantage, that you can let anybody just try it without a steep learning curve. Within 5 minutes of trying you can control it, even to go full speed, which is quite impressive (30km/h). Al least those with some boarding background will manage to do to.

It can be quite dangerous though, if you try to get on/off the board and don't understand that it will accelerate - unless you move one foot from the sensors. Also you can (and will) ram the front in the ground if leaning to much on some bumps/ascends - leading to a catapult dismount. The sideways stance does make it much harder to run it off. 

Overall very entertaining product which also might have potential as a transportation device. But the small battery capacity restricts its use too much. And it is highly overpriced.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

... they are the worst possible design for street use and near useless off road,

It all depends on the use case. I haven't ridden a Boosted Board, but several other electric longboards and they are very stable at smooth/open roads and high speed. They provide a fascinating carving and high speed sensation. Some go over 50km/h, and even at ridiculous high speed you feel quite safe and relaxed - if the street is smooth. But only then. They don't work well weaving through pedestrians, don't go up/down curbs, and don't work on rough roads. Using 90mm wheels does accommodate for some gravel etc. And more and more go for even bigger, pneumatic wheels which can handle some off road. I see the main disadvantage that these boards are by far not as reactive and controllable as electric unicycles. You have to balance out forward/backward acceleration by yourself which can be quite demanding using the remote control. And also the sideways balance is much harder to control too. Those with belt drive are rather loud, the ones with hub motors have heat challenges and their urethane ring is too thin/harsh.

The small wheels are prone to bad roads, but also provide an advantage: small wheels do spin much faster and the motors reach better power to weight ratio. So potentially the motors are much lighter at same power output. If you can make it light and compact and get it tolerated as carry on luggage for airline travel - that would be a great advantage.

I have several electric skateboards from the inexpensive Meepo to the Evolve GTX. When I have smooth roads ahead our EUC's don't compare to the acceleration and stopping power of an electric skateboard, also the carving sensation is unmatched. My GTX goes for 30 miles up to 26 mph, and feels incredibly stable at those speeds. I have another board that weighs 11lbs and fits in a backpack that's perfect for train commutes and quick errands where my EUC would be overkill. I highly recommend electric skateboards as long as the roads are smooth, they are fantastic!

I still prefer to commute daily on my EUC in nyc because our roads here are horrendous, and love the agility of my wheels.

IMG_1181.JPG

8 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

When I have smooth roads ahead our EUC's don't compare to the acceleration and stopping power of an electric skateboard, also the carving sensation is unmatched. My GTX goes for 30 miles up to 26 mph, and feels incredibly stable at those speeds.

What Euc's do you have?

When i see the Tishawn Fawnie clips where he is riding in a group of electric skateboards with his v3s+ he is eating them all to breakfast when they try to race him, no matter speed or acceleration wise?

A V3s+ or Ks18 goes 30mph ...and that over 60-80 miles....

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

What Euc's do you have?

When i see the Tishawn Fawnie clips where he is riding in a group of electric skateboards with his v3s+ he is eating them all to breakfast when they try to race him, no matter speed or acceleration wise?

A V3s+ or Ks18 goes 30mph ...and that over 60-80 miles....

You can see the euc' s I own under my name.

At the start and stop e boards have it, yes Tishawn is amazing and beats us at top speed..he is a great promoter of both sports!   I'm not comparing specs here, I'm just telling you the sensation of cariving an electric skateboard is beautiful, that's why I own them. Get out and try one, learn something new.

20 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

You can see the euc' s I own under my name.

At the start and stop e boards have it, yes Tishawn is amazing and beats us at top speed..he is a great promoter of both sports!   I'm not comparing specs here, I'm just telling you the sensation of cariving an electric skateboard is beautiful, that's why I own them. Get out and try one, learn something new.

Uuups, Sorry, didnt recognize the signature :-)

I am an old skateboarder.....so no need to learn something new!

personally i would not describe the carving sensation on a skateboard or e-board better......it is just totally different from the standing point, thats why i was asking!

I just found (for me) that acceleration and braking are not better on e-skateboard, ok, not  on the very first few meters......but after that, in my view performance Euc's outperform performance e-skateboard's, especially over 20mph when wobbles are common to most of the e-boards.

Unfortunatly most skateboarders even reject driving other electric vehicles or just dont know about what good EUC's are able to do...

And yes, thats no competition...i would like to see all electric vehicles together :-)

Okay, this thread made me join. I've been pursuing as a guest for a long while. I actually own a V1 Onewheel. It was my first electric transport. I loved the thing. It had good speed at the time, big tire, handled bumps better than other skateboards (I had a Yunnec Ego-2 and I hated that thing, I bought it because my son started loving the OneWheel too and wanted to ride it). However, once my son wanted to take it over I started to look for alternative things I could ride. I tried those remote controlled based skateboards like the boosted board. I hated that feeling. Eventually, I got my Ninebot and now I don't ride the OneWheel at all. I keep trying but the level of control and ability to turn are not the same.

1. The riding is different. Having my head turned to the side to look where I'm going is sort of annoying after awhile. I like looking straight ahead, just preference for me.

2. Starting and stopping on hills is horrid on OneWheel. I have a lot of hills where I am and there are stop lights, stop signs, crosswalks, and such on hills. I'd skid down the hill at times or the OneWheel would refuse to activate because it did not read a level start position. I guess it was a safety feature or I have a faulty one.  It was and is the main reason I don't ride this thing every day. If there were fewer hills and more flat ground then I would ride this all the time. 

3. Stopping is incredibly hard on a hill. The way you stop is to remove your foot off the sensor either by raising your heel or by moving your toe off the blue sensor. The problem with this is that if you are on a hill and you're angled the wrong way then your body weight pulls to one side or the other left or right like a teeter totter. Your inclination to regain balance is to step back on the board or jump off. If you stop at a light or a crosswalk then you probably will go straight into traffic following this method. If you jump off then you send the board flying. I've skidded into traffic almost too many times to count.

If you can master stopping then the OneWheel is great. However, if you start and stop on hills or have to do so then you might be SOL. I wish I lived in a flatter city so I could ride it Unfortunately, I don't. 

For reference, I have around 85 miles around my OneWheel. I keep riding occasionally in hopes that I've figure out a better way to stop on hills but its massively frightening. Every time I ride it something goes wrong during the ride on my Ninebot I very rarely have any problems. If i had to guess then I would say the OneWheel gives me problems, if I'm lucky, every 1 of 2 times I ride it. It is more like every 1.75 times I ride it. My Ninebot, in the same area, same everything, gives me problems once every 50 times I ride it.

Archived