Finally: KS18S Review, Mods and diary (Attention: image heavy)

US69

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I was not aware of this. Hmm, I didn't know I already went 40kph... So the voice gives a warning just before tiltback probably, because I have never experienced the tiltback since I unlocked the wheel to go higher then 20kph...

i am not a 100% sure if the voice alarm goes on 3rd or 4th alarm....i just know that setting all 4 alarms on voice makes no sense...

best is to test it out with something like 0 0 10 25.....then you will know :-)

31 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i am not a 100% sure if the voice alarm goes on 3rd or 4th alarm....i just know that setting all 4 alarms on voice makes no sense...

best is to test it out with something like 0 0 10 25.....then you will know :-)

I just checked. If you set the third alarm on 20kph and you activate voice, it tells you to decelerate at 20kph. 

24 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I just checked. If you set the third alarm on 20kph and you activate voice, it tells you to decelerate at 20kph. 

ok..sorry then for the hassle, wasn't sure :-)

What did you use to stick on the protection? I would like to put the same type of padding on my practice euc, but the double sided tape won't stick to the rubber sidepods, only to the plastic of the cover.

Thank you KingSong69 for this review.

Was waiting for a review on this wheel.

Because i am thingking of bying a 18 inch wheel.

The choice is V3s+ or KS18S, so the scale is coming to KS now :rolleyes:.

Like you're trolley option for it and  the mudguard.

Like to ask if there gets rain under the top by these openings above.

Or is it protected underneed?

And did you customize the trolley handle, and if yes what did you do with it.

How long does it take to a full charge, and is there a fast charger for it?

Thank you already.

7 hours ago, gotmotion2016 said:

Thank you KingSong69 for this review.

Was waiting for a review on this wheel.

Because i am thingking of bying a 18 inch wheel.

The choice is V3s+ or KS18S, so the scale is coming to KS now :rolleyes:.

Like you're trolley option for it and  the mudguard.

Like to ask if there gets rain under the top by these openings above.

Or is it protected underneed?

And did you customize the trolley handle, and if yes what did you do with it.

How long does it take to a full charge, and is there a fast charger for it?

Thank you already.

I didn't have any Problems with the "fan openings", but on very heavy rain i do not ride anyway.

Also it is Kind of protected, at first the Slots are not flat on the cover, they are a Little bit above, so that small Drops of water dont come in. Second there is also some foam under the Slots, in the case that some Drops really make it through. This foam also protects from dust coming into the Motherboard department.

On just a bit rain that all is no Problem at all, as the Slots are under the handle and your Body is also Standing above the handle.

So i don't see any Problem with the Slots ...while, yes, sure, the design could have been better done :-)

Fun Fact:

On the "Kingsong paded Export" Versions there are some yellow/red Stickers directly beside the Slots with an "umbrella rain warning" printed on them.

On all Asia/China "KSwheel paded" Version These Stickers are missing, so only american/european buyers seam to worry about this ;-)

Trolley handle: The handle i used for all my Ks18's, the "allit trolley" is nearly perfect...yes, i shorted it about 5 cm, but thats easy, other than that it seams to be produced for the KS18....

13 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

What did you use to stick on the protection? I would like to put the same type of padding on my practice euc, but the double sided tape won't stick to the rubber sidepods, only to the plastic of the cover.

The rubber mat is glued with super glue/1 second glue....

When i done this for the first time on my old KS18 and V3 i escpected it to not last very Long, but in reality i  never had to redo it again and it stayed on since that.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I could live with those speeds. I've been monitoring myself and in reality I ride under 35km/h 95+% of the time.

That particular trolley only seems to be available in Europe. I'm looking for something similar over here. Looking for the rubber...

I went to www.amazon.com/uk and found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=allit+trolley

with two vendors, one Allit itself.  

i've gone to /uk before to buy region-free DVD players and to /de to send things to relatives in Germany and France.  Works just fine.

@KingSong69 Did you cover up the usb slot? It is a bit strange they have a rubber cover on the charger port to protect it from rain, but not on the usb port. With my ninebot one I wasn't too worried when it started raining to go home on the wheel. With the open usb port on the ks-18s, I don't know if I would keep on going on my wheel when it starts raining.

10 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

@KingSong69 Did you cover up the usb slot? It is a bit strange they have a rubber cover on the charger port to protect it from rain, but not on the usb port. With my ninebot one I wasn't too worried when it started raining to go home on the wheel. With the open usb port on the ks-18s, I don't know if I would keep on going on my wheel when it starts raining.

I have bought an usb rubber plug....

29 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I have bought an usb rubber plug....

Thanks for the tip. I will check if I can buy this in a local computer shop or buy it on eBay. This will probably not withstand heavy rain, but I also don't intend to go riding in the rain. But with the weather in Belgium you can never now for sure. (probably the same for Germany ;))

1 hour ago, D i c K (ie) said:

Thanks for the tip. I will check if I can buy this in a local computer shop or buy it on eBay. This will probably not withstand heavy rain, but I also don't intend to go riding in the rain. But with the weather in Belgium you can never now for sure. (probably the same for Germany ;))

Especially the last couple of weeks ...

6 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I went to www.amazon.com/uk and found:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=allit+trolley

with two vendors, one Allit itself.  

i've gone to /uk before to buy region-free DVD players and to /de to send things to relatives in Germany and France.  Works just fine.

I have never tried this, but you are saying Amazon UK will ship to the United States?

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have never tried this, but you are saying Amazon UK will ship to the United States?

You could also write to the 21euro ebay seller! He is -extremly- frindly and serviceorientated!

my trolley got send back because of a stupid mailman and the seller contacted me about 3 times to make the shipment perfect and ask if now everything is allright! its worth a try!

11 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Yo @KingSong69 great review, your so damn thorough! I wanna see if I could do a shove-it on one? ^_^

Haha...

me and thorough :-)

Just on my lovely hobby...in the rest i am just struggling and baffling...

But thanx :-)

On 8/10/2017 at 2:23 PM, D i c K (ie) said:

Nice review!! What speed settings do you have? I disabled class 1 and 2. I have set class 3 on 37kph and tiltback on 40kph. I think I don't want to hit the tiltback at 40kph and we can't disable the tiltback.

The tiltback isn't extreme, it is really gradual.  I've hit the tiltback at 35km/h.  now I have it set to 40km/h.  I really have to be pushing it to hit 40km/h.  lots of wind resistance.

13 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

The tiltback isn't extreme, it is really gradual.  I've hit the tiltback at 35km/h.  now I have it set to 40km/h.  I really have to be pushing it to hit 40km/h.  lots of wind resistance.

I read horror stories here on the forum of the abrupt tiltback of the KS-18A. That is why I set alarm 3 at 37kph before the tiltback at 40. Maybe the tiltback of the KS-18S is softer then the tiltback of the KS-18A. 

With my Ninebot One E+ I was used to ride and slow down when the tiltback came in. It never really scared me and I never had the feeling it would throw me of the wheel. I will try tomorrow with tiltback setting at 30kph. If I would get used to it. I can set my alarms to 0;0;39;40.

4 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I read horror stories here on the forum of the abrupt tiltback of there KS-18A. That is why I set an audible alarm at 37kph before the tiltback at 40. Maybe the tiltback of the KS-18S is softer then the tiltback of the KS-18A. 

With my Ninebot One E+ I was used to ride and slow down when the tiltback came in. It never really scared me or had the feeling it would throw me of the wheel. I will try tomorrow with tiltback setting at 30kph. If I would get used to it. I can set my alarms to 0;0;39;40.

Tiltback on my ninebot is extreme compared to the KS18S.  If you are not afraid of the tiltback on the Ninebot, you should have nothing to worry about on the KS18S.  You can try setting it at 20km/h on the KS18S to experience how the tiltback is.

47 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I read horror stories here on the forum of the abrupt tiltback of the KS-18A. That is why I set alarm 3 at 37kph before the tiltback at 40. Maybe the tiltback of the KS-18S is softer then the tiltback of the KS-18A. 

With my Ninebot One E+ I was used to ride and slow down when the tiltback came in. It never really scared me and I never had the feeling it would throw me of the wheel. I will try tomorrow with tiltback setting at 30kph. If I would get used to it. I can set my alarms to 0;0;39;40.

What?

What horror stories of extreme tiltback? On the 18A? Never ever....i have seen some rambling about harsh tiltback of the 16/16s, but in the end it came out, that all those drivers accelerated like crazy fast into the tiltback...and then it is tilting fast, logic...

That may be possible (this fast driving into a tiltback) on a pace of 30kmh...but on 40kmh or higher, you have to fight a good amount of wind resistance at all, so you cant get THAT fast from 35 to 40kmh.

When you are afraid or have thoughts about the tiltback, set it to 15kmh and test it.

Sure, if you go like crazy acceleration from 10 to 20 kmh the tiltback will throw you up ;-)

But if you go smooth and slowly over 14,15,16 you will see its not harsh or extreme at all....

Archived