Finally: KS18S Review, Mods and diary (Attention: image heavy)

US69

Heyho...

Finally some words and Pictures about my new KS18S...

Let's start with some Pictures:

The wheel:

pjxrEJY.jpg

Some ingredients:

ZtlIBUx.jpg

and:

7IRJs0f.jpg

Give this Outcome in the end (Really dont like the KS Advertising :-) )

LBjJ2A3.jpg

Open Trolley:

uzI5ln3.jpg

Mud Guard:

F6W44JN.jpg

Some words to the wheel: (Some Points i "lend" from another KS18S owner, as i am lazy and can't invent the wheel new)

Plus:

-  Extreme "hard" driving mode, even the softest mode is stronger than my GW V3 67V
-  Seat is included and can be used on Long rides
-  Powerful, visible and reversible front and rear LEDs
-  This is the most powerful wheel produced by KingSong to date, both in torque and Speed.
-  fat Tire of 2.5 , extremly Grippy, Kenda Manufactered
-  Built-in fan to avoid overheating (starts at 54° Celsius and stops when brought down to 40-42, don't nail me on exact numbers) works flawless
-  Old Shell delivers really great stability while driving as it is leaning to the knees(once u are used to it)
-  4 speakers, they seam a bit dump first, but on driving Sound excellent!
-  Excellent Build Quality with Focus on safety -fat wires, mosfets, axle etc (see later photos)

Minus:  
-  No trolley: But i have done somethin against that
-  No mudguard: But i am experienced in building one :-) 
-  Old shell, its very "high", thats very different driving style from the other wheels of the market thus requiring a time of adaptation ?  Can also be seen as positive

But at all i am not good in listing, i better find my own words:

This wheel is a powerHorse!!! The pedal Feeling is rock hard, on accelerating and braking there are nearly no movements of the pedal. This goes so far that when i step back on my Gotway V3 67V that on this wheel i am afraid of the pedal "sacking" for some moments, as you get used to this rock hard pedal Setting on the 18S so fast.

Also The 18S main difference from my old 18A is that it is really, really agile and reactive.  Where my 18A was sluggish and hard to idle, because slow in direction changing, the 18S really rocks...This has an disadvantage also: When you Need to carry the wheel a bit longer, over some stages or a barrier, you definitly have to Switch the power Off, because if you lift it up and dont have it perfectly grabed in the middle, the wheel/tyre starts rotating so fast and flippy, that you can not calm it down  by moving into the other direction anymore. It reacts that fast...and accelerates like a rocket.

As this question will certainly follow: Yes, it eats up my Gotway V3(67 Volt 1160wh) to breakfast....Easy! It is way harder and faster, way more powerfull.

So this seams the only left competitor against the GW 84V rockets, but i cant compare it fairly to that...as i only have some minutes on a v3s+ until now. Hope on a Meeting we can do some comparison between the V3s+ and the 18S in drive behaviour. But i have to say that i doubt that the 18S can cope with the 84V, as it's just 25% more Voltage....

Where it stays out is the build Quality...and the attemps of KingSong to make their wheels safer, here some photos of the inside with some Explanation:

I have open it up and all the wiring is top notch and on really thick wires. KS brings their Motor wires through one axle and the sensor wires through the other axle. The Motor wires...i found no AWG on the cable, but a print saying 2,5mm .....so each of the Motor cables is 2.5mm and it is only one hard strand (not multiple strand wire)....i guess on this there is no Need to fear heat anymore!

Under the green protection are the 3 Motor wires...as you see all wires nicely hold together:

revQVGI.jpg

Try to shoot the print on the Motor wires(3 black cables)...These wires are each just "one strand":

S2Za5oB.jpg

The batteries are paralled and all go into one Connection Board with PCB, where each Batterie pack is secured by a fuse, so if one goes crazy or dead, your other batteries work on!

Here you can see the PCB-thingie(it is under black folie)...the PCB inside has 3 x 40Amp Fuse, one for each Batterie:

ZVN4Mez.jpg

The axle has getting thicker than on older KS:

xo6z6ue.jpg

End of Part 1 :-)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 2:

Here we go with some board photos....

Here you can see the whole board is covered in some protection paint/lacquer, Also recognize the Bluetooth antenna in the right upper Corner. NO Connection Problems or Interrupts on Music/app.

2NZhCnG.jpg

Plugs and cables are  extra secured by cable binders, 2x 30Amp fuse protecting the board.

WgGGdqr.jpg

Complete Board, on the left 2x30Amp Fuses:

G6OkRQ6.jpg

Unfortunatly i have no photo of the new heatsink...it has also become a lot bigger, with heatfins under the complete board/sink

Here you can see the fan and the beeper, both installed under the openings in the cover, foam under the Slots to protect the Motherboard section from dust and water, the beeper is new on this place, it was near the capcitors on older boards. Good new place, as you can hear it better!

Q87x0FO.jpg

At the End one last photo...just for Fun :-)

Preview: There will be an "electro-Sport.de" sticker in Grey on this KS18 soon, also ....as i find it is looking pretty nice and it save's me from a thousand answers on the street where to buy that UFO :-)

Edit: Allready done, all in all nice Grey/black combo:

LBjJ2A3.jpg

before:

aatrv6D.jpg

That's all for now, if there are any questions...just ask ;-)

Excellent Review!!! :clap3: Unfortunately you will be hearing from my unhappy wife because I currently don't own an 18" wheel.  She now knows, by my excited expressions and comments, that the KS18S would be tops on the list for my next wheel.

The entire design is awesome from the shell's aesthetically pleasing lines, contours and solid construction, to the mainboard and the perfect professional wire management. I love it! Even the little grills for the speakers are a nice touch!

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

The Motor wires...i found no AWG on the cable, but a print saying 2,5mm .....so each of the Motor cables is 2.5mm and it is only one hard strand (not multiple strand wire)....i guess on this there is no Need to fear heat anymore!

That is interesting they used single strand motor wires as they are difficult to bend and contour. I do like the idea that the motor and hall sensor wires are separated.

Edit: Regarding your motor wires I found similar lettering on heat shrink tubing.  Could the wires just be additionally protected with this tubing?

96bw3FS.jpg

@Rehab1 Maybe thats an additional tubing? i dont know...

But they are def. single strand wire, as they are very, very hard to contour and bend....no chance that this i normal wire.

@all:

Final picture with the sticker, looks cool i find, also i have put the dust away and cleaned a bit :-)

Everyone who finds my dog in this picture...its a bonus ;-)

7rlqmEB.jpg

Very interesting to read @KingSong69. I must say that I'm impressed with the build quality inside. The PCB looks much nicer than Gotway's, and I love their connectors, and no silicon applied over the connectors. Way to go KingSong :cheers:

Have you done a range test? And do you have the full speed all the way to 25% battery?

I need to try and find a source here in the States for that trolley handle. It looks very robust, and it may work for my Monster.

What kind of glue did you use to attach the mudflat? Is that 3mm sheet rubber that you used? - I need to figure out where to buy that. I think I'll try this on my MSuper and Monster.

Only 1 month into ownership of my V8 and my next wheel is already clear (albiet a loooooong way off)! :lol: Thanks for the great review. I'm very impressed with the build quality you've shown. Shame they won't move to an 84v system though.

Great review & analysis! Your telescopic handle is one of the of the best solutions I've seen for this Wheel.

Another Pro for the KS18, is the durability of the shell, this is virtually indestructible. If a one of the larger GWs takes a hard hit, the impact not infrequently sheers off the the screw holds—the polycarbonate composition on the KS is much stronger than the GWs. 

On the Con side: why couldn't they design a slightly altered panel that adequately covers the protruding central battery pack?

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Today's Inmotions are yesterday's Ninebots - people very soon want a stronger one;)

Don't get me wrong I'm loving my V8 a lot but I can see a time when an 18" wheel with stronger motor and a longer range is desirable for eating the miles. I would probably use both as the V8 is lighter and has the kill switch that makes it more usable in some situations. I've no desire for more speed though. I'm a Vulcan. I put my head before my heart. Going faster would be an awesome rush...until I fell. No thanks.

King Song looks like it is building some quality wheels with good componentry that looks like it will be very safe and reliable in use (time will tell though). I value these traits and it makes a KS a good upgrade from an Inmotion. Plus the thin and taller shell is along similar lines to the V8.

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Today's Inmotions are yesterday's Ninebots - people very soon want a stronger one;)

<derail>

Hah. Funny thing is that most of the photos/ videos from you and a few others, who snub the Ninebot, etc. whilst bragging about Gotway, show average speeds of 20-25km/hr.  Maybe you should take off the training wheels? :roflmao:

</derail>

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very interesting to read @KingSong69. I must say that I'm impressed with the build quality inside. The PCB looks much nicer than Gotway's, and I love their connectors, and no silicon applied over the connectors. Way to go KingSong :cheers:

Have you done a range test? And do you have the full speed all the way to 25% battery?

I need to try and find a source here in the States for that trolley handle. It looks very robust, and it may work for my Monster.

What kind of glue did you use to attach the mudflat? Is that 3mm sheet rubber that you used? - I need to figure out where to buy that. I think I'll try this on my MSuper and Monster.

Yeah, the PCB and build quality over all is really superb! No fanboism here!!

Range test: easy peasy 100-110km for 75% of the batterie capacity...not crazy speeding, but 20-35kmh average!

Actually very impressed with the range, as i suspected less with that more power, but its otherwise...better than my old 1200W 18A!

Batterie speed reducement: i got beeps on 35kmh when i reached about 30-35% capacity and 30kmh on about 20-25% capacity! That goes with what Ks announced for that wheel....

As i seldom go over 35kmh that is totally ok...and doesnt bother me at all! Who drives faster on such a low batterie (and has a good voltage drop when going that fast) is irresponsible on his own ;-) i am not....

The trolley: search for "allit trolley" on ebay...21 euro and it is even 5 cm longer, will fit a monster easy!

Glue and mudflap: normal super glue/1 second glue on a 4mm rubber piece, also ebay.....

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Great review & analysis! Your telescopic handle is one of the of the best solutions I've seen for this Wheel.

Another Pro for the KS18, is the durability of the shell, this is virtually indestructible. If a one of the larger GWs takes a hard hit, the impact not infrequently sheers off the the screw holds—the polycarbonate composition on the KS is much stronger than the GWs. 

On the Con side: why couldn't they design a slightly altered panel that adequately covers the protruding central battery pack?

Yip, the shell is one of the sturdiesy i have seen...

And yeah, the central pack protudes a bit...my guess is: They got the shell design (stolen it?) from something that has nothing to do with EUC! it works out good, but in reality on this shell you give away so much room...if perfectly done it could house 2000wh plus...

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Range test: easy peasy 100-110km for 75% of the batterie capacity...not crazy speeding, but 25-35kmh average!

110km with 1680 Wh!!!!!:shock2::w00t2: Really? The number is 75km for the 1300Wh ACM (100%-20%/beeping starts) and 120km for the 2400Wh Monster. How is this so much more efficient? You weigh 60kg now?

17 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Don't get me wrong I'm loving my V8 a lot but I can see a time when an 18" wheel with stronger motor and a longer range is desirable for eating the miles. I would probably use both as the V8 is lighter and has the kill switch that makes it more usable in some situations. I've no desire for more speed though. I'm a Vulcan. I put my head before my heart. Going faster would be an awesome rush...until I fell. No thanks.

King Song looks like it is building some quality wheels with good componentry that looks like it will be very safe and reliable in use (time will tell though). I value these traits and it makes a KS a good upgrade from an Inmotion. Plus the thin and taller shell is along similar lines to the V8.

I didnt buy this wheel for its 50kmh ability also! i want the safety, that comes with it when driving 28-33kmh and have a lot of room! as i have made a respectable crash on 33kmh...i have a ton of respect for going faster and always imagine what would happen on 40kmh if a mosfet blows! So for me, the 18s is ideal....with its 350amp Fets and safety approach.

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

110km with 1680 Wh!!!!!:shock2::w00t2: Really? The number is 75km for the 1300Wh ACM (100%-20%/beeping starts) and 120km for the 2400Wh Monster. How is this so much more efficient? You weigh 60kg now?

To be clear:

That is when driving real long range ...and not having to much breaks and stops and accelerations in it!!!

But even with these stops...i never got under something like 50%=50kmh!!

Another rider who has done more mesurement reported also 12-16wh per km....

And no...i am 82-83kg meanwhile...

Its a fact that the 84Volt wheels consume a good amount more than the 67volt wheels.

44 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, the PCB and build quality over all is really superb! No fanboism here!!

Range test: easy peasy 100-110km for 75% of the batterie capacity...not crazy speeding, but 25-35kmh average!

Actually very impressed with the range, as i suspected less with that more power, but its otherwise...better than my old 1200W 18A!

Batterie speed reducement: i got beeps on 35kmh when i reached about 30-35% capacity and 30kmh on about 20-25% capacity! That goes with what Ks announced for that wheel....

As i seldom go over 35kmh that is totally ok...and doesnt bother me at all! Who drives faster on such a low batterie (and has a good voltage drop when going that fast) is irresponsible on his own ;-) i am not....

The trolley: search for "allit trolley" on ebay...21 euro and it is even 5 cm longer, will fit a monster easy!

Glue and mudflap: normal super glue/1 second glue on a 4mm rubber piece, also ebay.....

Yeah, I could live with those speeds. I've been monitoring myself and in reality I ride under 35km/h 95+% of the time.

That particular trolley only seems to be available in Europe. I'm looking for something similar over here. Looking for the rubber...

11 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

Nice review!! What speed settings do you have? I disabled class 1 and 2. I have set class 3 on 37kph and tiltback on 40kph. I think I don't want to hit the tiltback at 40kph and we can't disable the tiltback.

That makes sense...to have an warning before tiltback sets in.

Nonetheless i have mine at 37 40 40 40 ...as i like to have a 2 beep warning...not more!

After 1000km tiltback can be set to 50 ;-)

8 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

That makes sense...to have an warning before tiltback sets in.

Nonetheless i have mine at 37 40 40 40 ...as i like to have a 2 beep warning...not more!

After 1000km tiltback can be set to 50 ;-)

I have mine still with voice feedback. I know it's kind of geeky, but I still like it when my wheel talks to me... :D 

18 minutes ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I have mine still with voice feedback. I know it's kind of geeky, but I still like it when my wheel talks to me... :D 

When you have only voice... -as far as iknow- then the voice will only speak to you on 4.th alarm!

Voice alarms does not activate on alarms 1-3.....

15 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

When you have only voice... -as far as iknow- then the voice will only speak to you on 4.th alarm!

Voice alarms does not activate on alarms 1-3.....

I was not aware of this. Hmm, I didn't know I already went 40kph... So the voice gives a warning just before tiltback probably, because I have never experienced the tiltback since I unlocked the wheel to go higher then 20kph...

Edit: I just checked. If you set the third alarm on 20kph and you activate voice, it tells you to decelerate at 20kph. 

Archived