Jump to content

Photo story: ACM does a mountain ride [56K warning, hide your mobile browsers]


meepmeepmayer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great tour! It's always a challenge to find a route which is rideable enough to bring the wheel and wild enough to be interesting (views and riding skills). 

The Austrian flag you saw painted on that rock wasn't a flag. It's just the marking for a certain hiking path. Red/White/Red is a commonly used marking, as is White/Blue/White. In areas with a lot of different paths leading to different destinations, you will see a lot of these markings in all kinds of colors. On hiking maps, they are shown as well,  so you always know which color to follow. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was fantastic. Wow, would I enjoy myself there :).  I know those kinds of gravely trails. I must say, the Monster would be fun to ride there. And now that I've seen how capable the Monster is at hill climbing (once you've learned to ride it sitting down), it would tackle those hills better than the ACM.

You've got some beautiful riding there :cheers:

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If you can import your ride into Google Earth and attach the file here we can take a virtual tour of your ride.

In the original link of the tour description (from some mountain bike site) https://www.mtbsepp.de/touren/priener-huette-walchsee, you can download GPX/KML track and much more (it's under downloads, maybe to see this you need to look at the original site, not the Google Translate). Probably much better than the bad and interrupted (crazy phone) track I have.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That was fantastic. Wow, would I enjoy myself there :).  I know those kinds of gravely trails. I must say, the Monster would be fun to ride there. And now that I've seen how capable the Monster is at hill climbing (once you've learned to ride it sitting down), it would tackle those hills better than the ACM.

You've got some beautiful riding there :cheers:

The Monster might be good for that gravel, but it is also good for starting from zero on steep inclines (was hard enough with the ACM), and for these quick balancing hip turns (not just going straight)? And combinations of those? I was actually thinking I would not have liked to do this with a Monster instead of the small and light ACM. Especially the starting part. It really is steeper than it looks in the pictures.

9 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

Great tour! It's always a challenge to find a route which is rideable enough to bring the wheel and wild enough to be interesting (views and riding skills). 

It isn't really a good riding tour at all, I would not recommend it to others (as a EUC route) and probably won't do it again. But the views were certainly nice. Maybe I'll go up again to explore more where it was becoming late and my phone went crazy. Or for these peaks:wub: But I think I'll try other tours first.

9 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

The Austrian flag you saw painted on that rock wasn't a flag. It's just the marking for a certain hiking path. Red/White/Red is a commonly used marking, as is White/Blue/White. In areas with a lot of different paths leading to different destinations, you will see a lot of these markings in all kinds of colors. On hiking maps, they are shown as well,  so you always know which color to follow. 

Thanks! That explains it. I was looking for the border crossing and this was in the right place. The actual one is at or a few meters before the first electric cow stopper and that flat part.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome ride!  What kind of temperatures were you hitting on the mother board before stopping and how long did take to reach them?  What temperature did you start back on your ride?  Did you ride mostly straight with the road or did you have to weave back and for the majority of the time?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Hoser said:

Awesome ride!  What kind of temperatures were you hitting on the mother board before stopping and how long did take to reach them?  What temperature did you start back on your ride?  Did you ride mostly straight with the road or did you have to weave back and for the majority of the time?

No idea about temperatures. The danger is cables melting their insulation (and then shorting) from high currents, which you cannot see from the wheel's temperature reading (the sensor is at the mosfets or wherever, the cables melt before the sensor gets too hot, at least on the ACM).

The cable melting thing did happen to me on an earlier, very steep ride after 8 or 10 or so minutes. So now I know whenever something "feels" steep like that (it's very much a perceptory thing), I don't go longer than 5 minutes continuously and then do a few minutes for break. This is very conservative, but better than a broken wheel. So it's an uninterrupted riding time limitation, not a temperature thing, I'm following (of course, incline matters - the steeper it is, the shorter your riding intervals can be).

Just looked at some logs, max temperature was 60°C (so far away from any limit) and the average lower - around 50°C (somehow I always see 47°C a lot, seems to be a standard temp for my ACM when doing regular breaks and allowing the mosfets to cool down via the pedal arms as heat sink). But again, I don't look at temperatures, and if they ever got too high the wheel would warn anyways.

Sorry I can't give any tips what to look out for:) Would be nice to just look at temps and stop when the are too high.

--

Imho, weaving is pointless on anything but wide, paved roads. And even then, the slower speed from constantly turning would probably put a similar or even higher stress on the wheel as just going up straight. On this gravel road, I just went up where I could, avoiding the big rocks and everything else. Ride time before making a cooling break matters, in my experience.

Weaving (going sideways) is a good way to get going, though. Straight uphill sometimes needs crazy lean (and trust in the wheel) so sideways is easier.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What was the total ride distance for that trip?  How long would it have taken you to hike it or do it on a conventional bike?  It always amazes me how far and high these wheels are able to take people considering their compact size.  The ability to lift a rider up some of these inclines is simply amazing.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

The ability to lift a rider up some of these inclines is simply amazing.

I couldn't agree more!

 

meepmeepmayer, thanks for pushing the limits.  I think you're brave, because it would really suck having to lug an acm off the mountain.  I assume you carry a tire repair kit?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

What was the total ride distance for that trip?  How long would it have taken you to hike it or do it on a conventional bike?  It always amazes me how far and high these wheels are able to take people considering their compact size.  The ability to lift a rider up some of these inclines is simply amazing.

21.5km.

They say the hike up to the highest hut would be 2.5h on foot. Didn't take much less for me, but lots of breaks for cooling, photos, sunscreen, just so, etc. Not sure how long the rest would be, however long you need for walking ~15km.

Bikes, not sure. They say 2:40 for ride-only time, which is still more than I rode my ACM altogether (2:15 or so and I never rode fast).

The coolest thing, it takes less battery than one might think. Downhills = free (or you even get some back). In the end, maybe 1km of range lost per 100m height gained? (very rough estimate)

@Hoser I don't carry a repair kit. See here (warning, loads 30MB of photos at the top of the page:whistling:):

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hope you enjoyed and it gave you a nice impression of a mountain tour in the area.

I did, lots of great photos.  You are a good photographer, you said the phone was running out of battery, have you tried one of those compact cameras that run on two AA batteries?  

That looked like a great place to visit, I can see why a lot of tourists would stay at the top of the mountain, just to have breakfast at one of the tables outside, looking at the view.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. Yea I could take a real camera, but tbh I'm too lazy and the photos are just for showing off/proof-of-EUC-there mostly;) For proper documentation, I should just do videos, but that's even more work;) I learned on holidays how much time (good) pictures and video take, and would like to keep that minimal (even though it's nice to have afterwards) because it just distracts too much from the actual experience. Maybe a power bank for the phone, or an action cam to the helmet that just records for 5 hours on its own...

You're right, if you aren't too serious (some families with kids were there), there's more than enough to do starting up there for a few days. Found the site of the hut:

http://prienerhuette.de/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...