KS16 which way front ?

Adel

Ok this is probably very simple question. Some fellow riders have informed me that I've been riding my KS16 backwards all this time. :confused1:

When I look at the wheel everything is symmetric, from the pedals to the lights, to the side leg pads. The only thing that's not is the power button and charge ports. I ride the KS16 with the charge port towards the back.

Is there an official front to the KS16 ? Should the power button and charge ports be to the front or back, does it make even a difference ? I've seen either way on the web even on promotional pictures.

Please someone resolve this issue, waiting for answers :popcorn:

13 minutes ago, Adel said:

Is there an official front to the KS16 ? Should the power button and charge ports be to the front or back, does it make even a difference ? I've seen either way on the web even on promotional pictures.

On the latest KS16 I have seen video reviews that show the headlight and taillight automatically switching depending on which way you are riding it, so the headlight is always in front and the taillight is always in the rear, so it doesn't matter which way you face it to ride, unlike the Gotway MSuper, which has the Cylon taillight with the red led's only on the rear.  One more plus for the Kingsong!

The ninebot has a front and rear because of the way the handle works, but it has not headlight or taillight.  I have been riding it with the power button to the rear for about a month now, because of pedal tilting down in front over time, and it seems to work just as well either way.

I believe it is generally accepted that the power button goes in the front.  But I don't think it really matters.

The tire has an arrow on it indicating the direction of rotation (just like bike tires.)  This means that the tire was 'designed' to rotate in the direction of the arrow.  Most tires, for most purposes, it probably doesn't really matter.  But it was designed to go a particular way. 

On my KS16S, if I look at the arrow when it is at the bottom of the wheel, it points to the rear.  This indicates that the tire rotates towards the front when the arrow is on top, and away from the front when the arrow is at the bottom.  So on my wheel, the tire is installed to ride with the power button in front.  If this makes any sense at all. 

11 minutes ago, dpong said:

On my KS16S, if I look at the arrow when it is at the bottom of the wheel, it points to the rear.  This indicates that the tire rotates towards the front -- when the arrow is on top, and away from the front when the arrow is at the bottom.  So on my wheel, the tire is installed to ride with the power button in front.  If this makes any sense at all. 

Ok I'll take a look at the KS16 wheel tonite and verify. However looking at my ninebot E+ next to me right it looks like the wheel is installed the wrong way :facepalm:

When in ride the KS16 with the power button forward, I feel that the pedal is tilting more upwards than the other way around, which is less comfortable to me, so maybe the pedal tilt has some directionality to it.

31 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The ninebot has a front and rear because of the way the handle works, but it has not headlight or taillight.  I have been riding it with the power button to the rear for about a month now, because of pedal tilting down in front over time, and it seems to work just as well either way.

When I ride with the power button to the back, I get more tilt down on the the pedal which I find more comfortable, so the firmware probably has some directional preference.

18 minutes ago, dpong said:

I believe it is generally accepted that the power button goes in the front.  But I don't think it really matters.

The tire has an arrow on it indicating the direction of rotation (just like bike tires.)  This means that the tire was 'designed' to rotate in the direction of the arrow.  Most tires, for most purposes, it probably doesn't really matter.  But it was designed to go a particular way. 

On my KS16S, if I look at the arrow when it is at the bottom of the wheel, it points to the rear.  This indicates that the tire rotates towards the front -- when the arrow is on top, and away from the front when the arrow is at the bottom.  So on my wheel, the tire is installed to ride with the power button in front.  If this makes any sense at all. 

Image result for tractor tires   I think tire direction only matters on tires with certain types of tread.  One time I was driving a tractor on muddy ground and the tires started spinning and I got stuck.  Then the guy who used to be an equipment operator motioned to me to back up.  So  I put the tractor in reverse and was surprised to find out, that the tractor would go backward in the mud, and I was able to get to drier ground.  The directional arrow on ECU tires is like a value added feature that doesn't mean much to the average rider, I think, but I might be way off base here.  I think it is just to make the tires look more better than they really are.  And I know my grammar is wrong.

The KS14C, whose lights are directional, puts the power button to the front and right. Assuming the design is the same across wheels from KS, the KS16S's front is the power button to the front and right.

However, I hope KS never tells us and it forever remains a mystery. Sometimes we need mysteries.

7 hours ago, dpong said:

I'm pretty sure that directionality on a tire is purely for water shedding.  So if you're riding through a puddle at 60 mph, you're more likely to hydroplane if the tire is going in the wrong direction.

8 hours ago, Adel said:

@Diana@szkingsong.com, can you please provide us official factory response. For KS16, is the power button/charge port represent the front of the wheel or the back. Thanks.

Hey, Adel, there is no difference between the back and front when riding, and the lights change automatically.

On 09/08/2017 at 3:39 AM, Adel said:

When I ride with the power button to the back, I get more tilt down on the the pedal which I find more comfortable, so the firmware probably has some directional preference.

I think you should calibrate your wheel. It should take care of pedal tilt issues. When you do, make sure it is exactly centered left to right.

A smartphone level app is great for this. After tapping "calibrate" from the KingSong app, I lay my iPhone on the pedal and launch "Light & Ruler". It has a level meter that shows X and Y axles separately. The sideways pedal slope is 11°, and the forward tilt can be set to your preferences. I prefer a 4° tilt-back on my KS-16S, riding on the medium mode.

Archived