Should I get a V5, or is it underpowered?

Tom Fagerland

27 minutes ago, Mono said:

AFAIK there are comparatively simple ways to avoid getting blocked. The simplest is to use the phone in airplane mode and only turn on bluetooth.

I can confirm it was working before, but even then the features were limited, because many of them require an internet connection, but turning it back on disconnects you.

Now the app requires your GPS location turned on to even search for bluetooth devices, then it won't allow to do anything without a working internet connection - it's needed to verify the wheel SN. Inmotion is systematically updating the lock mechanism.

Even if you find a way around it, some features won't work anyway. It also means no future firmware or app updates.

Of course, you can still ride on a "locked" wheel, but it's just a pain. Also keep in mind that all V8s come with a speed limit set, so you need a working app to unlock the maximum 30 km/h speed. There are other disadvantages like no warranty - Inmotion won't be committed to make any after-sale repairs or anything under warranty (assuming you would send it for repairs to China). Fortunately, the wheel is really reliable so you don't need to worry about the warranty too much.

Besides, parcels from Aliexpress also are subject to customs charges, but if one is charged is really a lottery. 

Seems like a lot of trouble for getting a wheel from China just a bit cheaper. Prices in Europe are a bit higher, but you get additional quality control, warranty, working app, distributor support, and you can even return the product after purchase. This is why the manufacturer itself advises against Aliexpress and similar websites.

Of course each potential customer has the right to choose where to buy.

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Yip!

Also there are several aliexpress sellers which sell the international version....

Still, if they are not authorized by Inmotion to sell on Aliexpress, the customer can be surprised when the serial number is banned later.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Justina said:

Still, if they are not authorized by Inmotion to sell on Aliexpress, the customer can be surprised when the serial number is banned later.

Yes, sure, we have several reports of banned ali wheels here (ironic!)

All this "app" argument doesn't count at all anymore, as there are meanwhile two 3rd party apps-wheellog and darkness bot- where you can set the wheel AND speed settings without any problems....

For now, the 3rd party apps are working, but it's just a matter of time.

Like I said, even if you can get around the ban, not all features will be available.

What's most important, installing another app or work around is not a problem to you, me or any enthusiast. But enthusiasts are a small group of customers. Normal users don't want to hack the app, they want it to work out of the box.

As I said, if the limitations and the pain of workarounds is OK with you, nobody will stop you from buying on Aliexpress - it's not complicated. INMOTION just tries to build the best customer service that is close to the user. They obviously can't deal with everyone personally from China and they have good intentions. That is why they started interfering with Aliexpress sales and they are improving this mechanism systematically, to show everyone it's not really worth to buy via these websites.

The INMOTION message, for anyone still committed to make a purchase on Aliexpress, is clear: no guarantees when you buy from non-official sources, especially Aliexpress and Alibaba.

Is this a good approach? We'll see. This is still a young market. All Inmotion is trying to do is to improve the international purchasing system, so each customer can get proper support and the best experience possible (which also includes getting the wheel right away instead of waiting a month for the delivery from Ali).

12 hours ago, Justina said:

Remember that buying from Aliexpress is risky. There are dedicated V8 versions for different markets and each unit has to be activated in the system. You need to be sure to purchase a legit European version, otherwise the connectivity via the mobile app will be blocked. And that may not be enough, as Inmotion has very strict approach regarding Aliexpress and similar sites, treating them as non-official channels and banning specific serial numbers. 

Thank you :)  

We do ship to Norway, but like @vladmarks said, it may be subject to customs. The toll should be 0%, but there is 25% local VAT rate (Merverdiavgift), that may be required to be paid by the customer. Besides, the delivery is very expensive.

Overall, importing from EU to Norway is not the best option. I recommend you - @Tom Fagerland - to buy a V8 locally or pick it up anywhere in the EU, where the delivery cost is almost 9 times cheaper (to Sweden it is just €14.33 and no VAT/duty). We also ship to Sweden and to everywhere else in the EU (UK included :D ).

This is indeed my plan. Living in Norway leads to thinking about how to avoid these things... It's really too bad, it would be far better if we had a free trade agreement with the EU. 

23 minutes ago, Tom Fagerland said:

This is indeed my plan. Living in Norway leads to thinking about how to avoid these things... It's really too bad, it would be far better if we had a free trade agreement with the EU. 

Or simply become a member state :P 

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Or simply become a member state :P 

We can't. A huge part of our economy comes from fish, and that entire sector would go to hell in a handbasket within months. But it's not like our huge Electronics industry is going to suffer if we get a general agreement for that market.

1 hour ago, Tom Fagerland said:

We can't. A huge part of our economy comes from fish, and that entire sector would go to hell in a handbasket within months. But it's not like our huge Electronics industry is going to suffer if we get a general agreement for that market.

Interesting. I saw your country had a referendum twice about joining and twice it got rejected.

Archived