Should I get a V5, or is it underpowered?

Tom Fagerland

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The relative weakness of the V5F was easily remediable through the installation of a more powerful board. Exactly a year ago, I was trying to push this case, which at the time was promised, but never delivered. There is a distinct lack of imagination over what characteristics Customers want & are willing to pay for, an almost obsessional urge to produce at the lowest possible cost irrespective to the total perceived value of the finished article. 

To give you a sense of how directionless this new Solowheel-Inmotion company is, they're pushing the Glide 2-Lite, which is the equivalent of the V5 (no '+' or 'F') with only 20 cells for the US market, where the average male is 195lb. http://www.newsmax.com/US/average-weight-man-woman-obese/2015/06/15/id/650546/. This particular Wheel should really not be used by anyone above 120lb, yet their spec sheet had a weight limit of 260lb??! 

This exchange took place a year  ago—incidentally, they eventually did change the bank angle on the V5F.

V5F+:
- Can the more-powerful V8 control-board be used in the V5F+?
Re: 1,In theory the V8 control board be used in V5F+,we tested it today,it can be work and most of performance of V5F+ are improved.
      2,Now the problem is the control-board instruction have to be adjusted,we need about 2 to 3 month to make this adjustment if the purchase volume is big enough.
        (I have said your potential purchase volume is about 3000 units/year to push this issue forward).
      3,After this improvement,the new version can be named as new model name.

- Inward pedal tilt-angle: on the V8 it's only 7.5° but is 15° on the V5.
Re: 1,Exactly,you are so professional for this detail difference.
      2,The reason of this angle difference is,the thickness of V8 and V5 is different (see attached pic),we test too much, then find this best comfortable tilt-angel of pedal during riding.

Our Customers really love the V5F+, but there have been a number of requests for improved ride comfort & more power/speed. If these requirements can be met, it will make the V5F+ a stronger product than either King Song's upcoming 14", as well as distancing the threat of the Ninebot S2.
Re: Definitely.

@Jason McNeil Thanks for your insider stories (born partially out of frustration, I guess). Funny how you give so much specific input and they do nothing with it!

From this and what you wrote in the other thread, I'm getting the impression Inmotion were disappointed by the lack of sales (naturally, this didn't make them think about higher powered models with bigger batteries - instead they just didn't understand why not everyone bought one of their existing wheels) and really believed the Solowheel joint venture would fix that (wow they will be wrong about that!). Until now I only blamed Solowheel, but looks like IM are dumb too. "Clueless" is the wright word here...

1 hour ago, Tom Fagerland said:

But isn't there a general stagnation in the "biz"? KingSong and Gotway are making larger engines and batteries, but that's not innovation so much as just expanding the use of existing technology. Are anyone making anything actually new?

No offense meant, but what do you want? The General use of an EUC is to drive with it, or?

As i have gone through some iterations of EUC's i see a lot of Progress on the "main usage"...

While on older wheels you really, really have to be carefully what you are doing because the pedals were so weak, and you can overlean that easy, on newer models the bigger Motors and batteries give you a really great secure Feeling, with a driving where you dont have to think about any imperfektions of the mechanism/wheel anymore.

It has become way better! When i step onto some old models, i always get afraid and ask myself how that worked out a year before :-)

Other the implementation of BT-Loudspeakers (which are also an incredible plus in fun) and some accesoires, i dont know what the Producers should do beside building safer wheels...

I had an old KS18A from 1,5 years ago and now a new KS18S...the only Thing that stayed the same in that wheel, is the Shell. The board is new with !350Amp! Mosfets and a new heatsink, the Firmware is new, the axle is wider, the wires are thicker, the pedalarms are new....so i definitly see a good progress.

The big step, redundancy of board and batteries should be the next Goal, that would be real Progress and would do a favor for legislation of EUC's

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

No offense meant, but what do you want? The General use of an EUC is to drive with it, or?

As i have gone through some iterations of EUC's i see a lot of Progress on the "main usage"...

While on older wheels you really, really have to be carefully what you are doing because the pedals were so weak, and you can overlean that easy, on newer models the bigger Motors and batteries give you a really great secure Feeling, with a driving where you dont have to think about any imperfektions of the mechanism/wheel anymore.

It has become way better! When i step onto some old models, i always get afraid and ask myself how that worked out a year before :-)

Other the implementation of BT-Loudspeakers (which are also an incredible plus in fun) and some accesoires, i dont know what the Producers should do beside building safer wheels...

I had an old KS18A from 1,5 years ago and now a new KS18S...the only Thing that stayed the same in that wheel, is the Shell. The board is new with !350Amp! Mosfets and a new heatsink, the Firmware is new, the axle is wider, the wires are thicker, the pedalarms are new....so i definitly see a good progress.

The big step, redundancy of board and batteries should be the next Goal, that would be real Progress and would do a favor for legislation of EUC's

Where's that review :popcorn:  At least finish it before the KS18T comes out ;) 

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Where's that review :popcorn:  At least finish it before the KS18T comes out ;) 

Yeah, you got me, it is overdue.......so latest this saturday! Promised..........really.........hope so......

5 hours ago, Tom Fagerland said:

But isn't there a general stagnation in the "biz"? KingSong and Gotway are making larger engines and batteries, but that's not innovation so much as just expanding the use of existing technology. Are anyone making anything actually new?

IPS was recently trying with the I5, which weighs around 8kg. For a larger consumer market the size/weight aspect may be more important than we think. The problem is of course that the I5 has 350W and 250Wh, which is borderline unacceptable for a rider with 80kg.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

getting the impression Inmotion were disappointed by the lack of sales (naturally, this didn't make them think about higher powered models with bigger batteries - instead they just didn't understand why not everyone bought one of their existing wheels

That's what baffles me, my internal source told me that the V8 has sold more than 12,000 units, much higher than cumulative SW Sales, that's not doing too badly by any standard. My personal opinion about the motivation for the Solowheel/Inmotion joint venture, is that Inmotion believed Shane's standing was higher than it is, that it would bring them immediate respectability & brand recognition, following in the steps of Ninebot with their Segway acquisition. 

@Jason McNeil Ha:laughbounce2: Solowheel brand is more of a liability nowadays! Did the Segway thing even help Ninebot? Everyone bought Ninebots when they were the best wheels, and when that ended... I don't have the impression the Segway branding did much (except maybe to help people understand what that strange machine is in the first place, and induce some spontaneous Amazon sales, but the lower price (S1) probably did more).

Still wondering (in general, many manufacturer decisions) if they really are that clueless (every noob here instinctively knows better after a few days) or just constrained so much by behind-the-scenes stuff (legal, financial, outsourcing, cultural...).

Someone at InMotion could have asked a simple question on the forum here or read a few threads before going down that Inventist road.  It would have saved them a ton of trouble.  :rolleyes:  Usually it's best to research the other company before getting into bed with them, isn't it?  Maybe the US market isn't that huge of a market share?  Were those 12,000 units distributed mostly in Asia and Europe?  

InMotion is still a good product no matter what name they slap on it.  Whether it will sell any better at a higher mark up under Solowheel only time will tell.  It does sound like it's more geared towards those consumers who have two kids, coach soccer, have a full time job, and don't have time to be an EUC fix-it-yourself expert.  I have never heard of an InMotion pedal becoming loose or people needing to replace control boards due to wires melting.  Maybe the higher price is worth it to avoid those problems?

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

My personal opinion about the motivation for the Solowheel/Inmotion joint venture, is that Inmotion believed Shane's standing was higher than it is, that it would bring them immediate respectability & brand recognition, following in the steps of Ninebot with their Segway acquisition. 

I still would consider it a good deal, of course depending on the price (I assume it was rather like pocket money for InMotion), because

1. In my limited experience the name recognition of Solowheel is still much better than of InMotion.
  2. I have met very experienced riders who find Solowheel superior in riding experience to everything else. I only rode a Solowheel for a few seconds and cannot speak to this. Yet, while the wheels lack behind in battery Wh, I still have quite some respect for the rest of it (not so much for the patent war Shane seems to be in favour of). Just being able to have a close look at the controller code could possibly be worth the deal.
  3. There might be interesting other finds in the patent basket of Shane. Acquiring patents seems also to be a standard move to prevent patent fights with other big players in future. 

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Someone at InMotion could have asked a simple question on the forum here or read a few threads before going down that Inventist road.  It would have saved them a ton of trouble.  :rolleyes:  Usually it's best to research the other company before getting into bed with them, isn't it?  Maybe the US market isn't that huge of a market share?  Were those 12,000 units distributed mostly in Asia and Europe?  

InMotion is still a good product no matter what name they slap on it.  Whether it will sell any better at a higher mark up under Solowheel only time will tell.  It does sound like it's more geared towards those consumers who have two kids, coach soccer, have a full time job, and don't have time to be an EUC fix-it-yourself expert.  I have never heard of an InMotion pedal becoming loose or people needing to replace control boards due to wires melting.  Maybe the higher price is worth it to avoid those problems?

Quality is, IMO, certainly worth paying more for, but, the rub here is that we had all that at a much cheaper price point and no one can see any tangable reason for the 60% price hike. That is the huge upset I think. I wouldn't care if a SoloWheel or an Inmotion sticker was on the wheel if the price hadn't changed. The reported plans for a new firmware with extra beeps (the V8 only has tilback and then overspeed beep, no configurable beeps at lower speed) and app is not worth $600. It is a price grab pure and simple. To have made the V8 any cheaper would have invalidated their existing line up even more than it already does. Someone already asked SoloWheel Seattle why the crap Extreme costs more than the V8.

23 minutes ago, Mono said:

riders who find Solowheel superior in riding experience to everything else. I only rode a Solowheel for a few seconds and cannot speak to this. Yet, while the wheels lack behind in battery Wh, I still have quite some respect for the rest of it (not so much for the patent war Shane seems to be in favour of). Just being able to have a close look at the controller code could possibly be worth the deal.

You should go and try more than a few seconds :-)

its comparable perhaps to the learning mode of 14c...i mean the pedals fell like moving nearly to 30degree when you aply force, very weak in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Quality is, IMO, certainly worth paying more for, but, the rub here is that we had all that at a much cheaper price point and no one can see any tangable reason for the 60% price hike.

This is obviously not for technical reasons, but trying to exploit name recognition. Sellers try to chose the price at which they can maximise the profit. In a small (or even tiny) market it is always a good idea to address those customers who don't care much how much they pay as long as they get happy.^1 In the large consumer market these are only a tiny fraction of the customers, but in a tiny market they could make a large fraction.

^1 I believe there is a technical term for this mechanism, but I forgot the word.

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

i mean the pedals fell like moving nearly to 30degree when you aply force

I know and I didn't like it, but I also know that some hugely experienced riders love it.

Just now, Mono said:

I know and I didn't like it, but I also know that some hugely experienced riders love it.

Perhaps because their experience is from very old wheels? i also didnt like it...feeling like on a a ship in waves.

Just now, KingSong69 said:

Perhaps because their experience is from very old wheels?

If their experience were only from old wheels, I wouldn't qualified them as "hugely experienced" (maybe I should better say widely experienced). Certainly also from older wheels, I mean, Solowheel...

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

That's what baffles me, my internal source told me that the V8 has sold more than 12,000 units, much higher than cumulative SW Sales, that's not doing too badly by any standard. My personal opinion about the motivation for the Solowheel/Inmotion joint venture, is that Inmotion believed Shane's standing was higher than it is, that it would bring them immediate respectability & brand recognition, following in the steps of Ninebot with their Segway acquisition. 

20,000?! Where are they all? I'd like to see our streets full of EUC riders instead of this oasis desert I see now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2017 at 2:31 PM, Mono said:

Remember that buying from Aliexpress is risky. There are dedicated V8 versions for different markets and each unit has to be activated in the system. You need to be sure to purchase a legit European version, otherwise the connectivity via the mobile app will be blocked. And that may not be enough, as Inmotion has very strict approach regarding Aliexpress and similar sites, treating them as non-official channels and banning specific serial numbers. 

On 08/08/2017 at 3:27 PM, Pard said:

Thank you :)  

On 08/08/2017 at 3:33 PM, Mono said:

@Tom Fagerland@Justina is probably willing to tell whether they ship to Norway. 

We do ship to Norway, but like @vladmarks said, it may be subject to customs. The toll should be 0%, but there is 25% local VAT rate (Merverdiavgift), that may be required to be paid by the customer. Besides, the delivery is very expensive.

Overall, importing from EU to Norway is not the best option. I recommend you - @Tom Fagerland - to buy a V8 locally or pick it up anywhere in the EU, where the delivery cost is almost 9 times cheaper (to Sweden it is just €14.33 and no VAT/duty). We also ship to Sweden and to everywhere else in the EU (UK included :D ).

1 hour ago, Justina said:

Remember that buying from Aliexpress is risky. There are dedicated V8 versions for different markets and each unit has to be activated in the system. You need to be sure to purchase a legit European version, otherwise the connectivity via the mobile app will be blocked.

AFAIK there are comparatively simple ways to avoid getting blocked. The simplest is to use the phone in airplane mode and only turn on bluetooth.

24 minutes ago, Mono said:

AFAIK there are comparatively simple ways to avoid getting blocked. The simplest is to use the phone in airplane mode and only turn on bluetooth.

Yip!

Also there are several aliexpress sellers which sell the international version....

Archived