Competitive Sports?

sanman

There are so many neat EUC videos out there featuring people doing amazing maneuvers and even acrobatics on their EUCs. With their recreational appeal and amazing agility, is there any potential for using them in sports?

Maybe soccer's out of the question, but perhaps basketball or even tag-football might work. I remember the famous videos of Apple founder Steve Wozniak playing polo on a Segway (inspiration for fatties everywhere). 

Perhaps a biathlon event like cross-country shooting might be another one.

And then there's the obvious racing stuff, including potentially motocross/off-road racing. Actually, I'd imagine that competitive racing offering prizes might create an incentive for people to come up with their own design improvements to win competitively. Those improvements could then ripple on to everyone else.

What kinds of sports could EUCs be used for, and best suited for? Perhaps some new made-up hybrid sport?

1 hour ago, sanman said:

What kinds of sports could EUCs be used for,

Polo was the obvious one that occurred to me - a damn sight cheaper than a horse! I can imagine that being quite fun but could do with some wider tyred wheels than we currently have to work best on grass.

@EUC Extreme has the market sown up on motocross and off-road racing, he is even skilled at riding it in snow and ice with home modified studded tyres. Mind you living in Finland gives him a head start

All together now (to the tune to "Swan Lake"):

Winter ends in May and then....

In early June it starts again! 

6 hours ago, Keith said:

Polo was the obvious one that occurred to me - a damn sight cheaper than a horse! I can imagine that being quite fun but could do with some wider tyred wheels than we currently have to work best on grass.

@EUC Extreme has the market sown up on motocross and off-road racing, he is even skilled at riding it in snow and ice with home modified studded tyres. Mind you living in Finland gives him a head start

All together now (to the tune to "Swan Lake"):

Winter ends in May and then....

In early June it starts again! 

If i could crash on snow, I would be happy.

1 hour ago, Slaughthammer said:

Hey, that's pretty clever - I wonder if the Boy Scouts will one day give a Merit Badge in EUCs?

Do6hXaJ.jpg

But seriously, I wonder if EUCs would be useful for something like Airsoft - at least they could allow you to cover distance rapidly, especially on a large playing field:

It would probably be more fair if everyone was on EUCs.

5 hours ago, Slaughthammer said:

Great idea! According to Google Translate,

On May 20 all-Russian monoconial competitions were held! They came to about a hundred guests, 46 of whom were children. The event was stylish and dynamic.

Does the III in the title mean this is the third time this event was held?

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I think trail racing would be good, fun to watch. Maybe different weight, wheel size, and power classes :D

I would love to see EUC racing. One style could be like a motocross course. Another style could be a flat, paved track.

I agree with all the racing ideas.? It would be great to get a relay course set up with a mix of off road, road, and tight cornering which could be done by the different wheels on a team. Along with a tight multi skill oriented obstacle course. 

But field hockey or lacrosse could be fun as well.?

Of course there is a potential for sports and... extreme sports (respect to @EUC Extreme! I really enjoy these videos) in the case of EUCs.

I've seen the Ecodrift video some time ago. It was amazing to see what they have pulled off! Outstanding job.

With EUCs it's just a matter of time. When we get old, we'll be surprised what tricks the young people can do on their EUCs. It's like with skateboarding - teenagers do better tricks now than pro skaters from 15 years ago. Everyone is a pro skater now ;) But for now we are left with @Sidestreet Reny's grinds and slides (great tricks, really!!!) :)

Every transportation vehicle finds its application in sport, eventually.

What I haven't seen yet is a good EUC trial.

27 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I agree with all the racing ideas.? It would be great to get a relay course set up with a mix of off road, road, and tight cornering which could be done by the different wheels on a team. Along with a tight multi skill oriented obstacle course. 

It would be another F1 racing - the better the wheel, the better chances. But it would be more interesting: "Ladies and gentleman, what an overtake! The contestant with the number 9 did it great on his Gotway ACM, he's now close to the finish line, just 100 m away, the tension is running very high here, the crowd goes wild, he's going to win this... wow... wha... what happened?! What a cut off!!! Somebody call 999... Anyway, the contestant with the number 13 is getting closer to the finish line but he's on the Ninebot One E+ and already has got tilt-back, so anything is still possible in this race! (...)" :lol::lol::lol:

2 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

There's a Unicycle (American) Football League here in Texas. My friend is a good QB on one of the top teams. And they do Joust for the "coin flip". My friend and I were thinking of converting this into an Electric Unicycle Football League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hReydsMsURs

Wow, is there no way to play this on grass? Sounds like players are asking for road rash :o

11 hours ago, Justina said:

Of course there is a potential for sports and... extreme sports (respect to @EUC Extreme! I really enjoy these videos) in the case of EUCs.

I've seen the Ecodrift video some time ago. It was amazing to see what they have pulled off! Outstanding job.

With EUCs it's just a matter of time. When we get old, we'll be surprised what tricks the young people can do on their EUCs. It's like with skateboarding - teenagers do better tricks now than pro skaters from 15 years ago. Everyone is a pro skater now ;) But for now we are left with @Sidestreet Reny's grinds and slides (great tricks, really!!!) :)

Every transportation vehicle finds its application in sport, eventually.

What I haven't seen yet is a good EUC trial.

Thanx for tha boost! I appreciate the recognition for something I am damn proud of!

A skater my whole life, I've watched it evolve from one groundbreaking move that changed the world for ever. "The Ollie" (thanx to Rodney Mullen)

On the EUC we grip it between our legs and like the "Ollie" it gets you up, off or over things.

We have the "Shove-it", which looks about the same on an EUC and the variations are endless!

The "Pedal Grind", has possible variations galore too.

IMHO. The "Pedal Grinds + Slides" the "Shove It" and the "Ollie Grip". These 3 tricks are the roots from which the street style will grow. More and more extreme as time goes by. :rolleyes:

Of course the "Off Road", "Trials", "Freestyle" and "Marathon" riding will grow too. I'm sure. :cheers:

- Mr. O.G. Pedalgrinder @Sidestreet Reny

Btw, trials will be so ill. :D On my mind ever since riding on the rocks by the river. 

Archived