Grabbed a new ninebot s2

electricpen

I'm starting to keep a log of mileage vs battery since actual mileage is different for everyone due to terrain (hills in my case) riding style, rider weight, etc. Currently it looks like I will get about 11.5 miles out of the ninebot with 20% battery reserve. For comparison the Kingsong is currently calculating to give me about 36 miles before I hit 20% battery. Interestingly the ninebot actually is less efficient than the kingsong in terms of battery efficiency. I am averaging about 22.5 wh/mile on the ninebot and 17.5 wh/mile on the kingsong. I have gone a total of 55 miles on the kingsong and 12 miles on the ninebot.

@electricpen that's good data you're collecting. i think you're doing amazing. you've gone way further than i have in any of my vehicles in the past week and much tougher terrain. Are you on vehicular roads or multiuse paths and sidewalks? personally, i don't think i'd ever ride on a vehicular road or bike lane, i think bike lanes on the side of roads is one of the government's solutions to population control. nearly had a stroke first time i took my first harley out there. i pray that euc riders when and if it becomes more mainstream act responsibly and don't get them banned from multiuse paths and sidewalks. skateboarders, even though their numbers are few, managed to get themselves banned from many places. drones now mainstream are gonna have new restrictions coming, samsung and hoverboards, bad rep on batteries. i've built a zillion of them with my houses, but nobody ever talks about banning swimming pools, and those are definitely baby killers, so it's not fair but it's reality.http://www.floridahealth.gov/statistics-and-data/florida-injury-surveillance-system/_documents/data-fact-sheets/drowning-2012.pdf

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@electricpen that's good data you're collecting. i think you're doing amazing. you've gone way further than i have in any of my vehicles in the past week and much tougher terrain. Are you on vehicular roads or multiuse paths and sidewalks? personally, i don't think i'd ever ride on a vehicular road or bike lane, i think bike lanes on the side of roads is one of the government's solutions to population control. nearly had a stroke first time i took my first harley out there. i pray that euc riders when and if it becomes more mainstream act responsibly and don't get them banned from multiuse paths and sidewalks. skateboarders, even though their numbers are few, managed to get themselves banned from many places. drones now mainstream are gonna have new restrictions coming, samsung and hoverboards, bad rep on batteries. i've built a zillion of them with my houses, but nobody ever talks about banning swimming pools, and those are definitely baby killers, so it's not fair but it's reality.http://www.floridahealth.gov/statistics-and-data/florida-injury-surveillance-system/_documents/data-fact-sheets/drowning-2012.pdf

@novazeus I have been riding primarily on sidewalks and park trails (I live right next to golden gate park which is nearly 3 miles wide). I rode bike lanes for the first time today (just got back from a 6 mile ride). I had been strictly staying on the sidewalk until I could mount without a support (nothing to hold onto in the road) and stop while keeping control of the wheel 100% of the time. You can't really fall over or have the wheel go running away from you when sharing the road with bikes and cars. I've just gotten to that point today so I jumped into the deep end this morning. Bike lanes, of course, are scary although San Francisco has some protected bike lanes and plans to build more (solid dividers between car traffic and bike lane). The car drivers here are more acclimated to bicycles because there are so many. I was riding in a pack of 5 bicycles in the bike lane, not planned, just because they were there. I could smoke all of them speed and acceleration wise on the Kingsong but I stayed with the pack for greater visibility/safety. Serious bike riders are faster than the Kingsong can safely go but you would need some Tour de France riders to match a stronger EUC going up a hill.

In addition to collecting mileage data, I've been timing my rides because there is no EUC option in google maps. This makes it hard to estimate how long it takes to get somewhere. Yesterday it took me 25 minutes to do a 3 mile commute through the city on the sidewalk with the ninebot. Today I did the same commute in bike lanes in 15 minutes on the kingsong. For reference google estimated the following times when I left in the morning: Car - 15 min, Bike - 18 min, Bus, 24-26 min, Walk - 1 hr. So I actually made it in the same time it would take a car this morning :blink: . The ninebot's time was closer to the bus commute time which is still not bad considering if you miss a bus you need to wait another 5-7 minutes.

yes, that's what i find so exciting about these. in big cities with all the traffic on commutes, i gotta think a euc on good multiuse paths would be way quicker than a car stuck in traffic. Tampa doesn't have hardly any mass transit, not much if any light rail anywhere. the problem as i see it, what do you do when you get to your stop, you might still have miles to go and even though walking is great exercise, sometimes you just want to get there a little quicker. uber on a daily basis is too expensive, being able to take your wheel with you is awesome.

Those pads came today, unexpectedly early. They fit well although I think the sticky tape is not that sticky but I suppose they expect you to replace these when they get beat up and if the tape was too sticky they would be difficult to remove. Going to take the ninebot out for the first time without the carpet condom. Which did its job btw, not a scratch on the machine. Time to put these new pads to the test!

@novazeus Here she is being thirsty after a 5.3 mile ride.

IMG_20170815_130109.thumb.jpg.bd1f1d3e30d4ed31f9914388135c6c0c.jpg

Notice the right side bumper is not sticking properly on the corner. That's why I said the tape is a little weak. It was dropped during this trip but the bumper is well designed. It doesn't obstruct the design too much but it bulges out enough to hit the ground first (along with the pedals) instead of scratching the plastic.

Good news: I pushed it at its max speed as much as possible and got to my destination in 18 minutes (16 minutes estimated for a bike). I got back in 22 minutes (it's uphill) and a bike estimated time is 24 minutes. So overall I tied the bike estimated time in round trip on the supposedly weak ninebot. Not bad!

Bad news: I pushed it at its max speed as much as possible and drained the battery faster. According to the battery stats from this trip, I would only get 10 miles before the reaching the 20% buffer.

@electricpen yes, i like that. after i received my blue ones which i'll save, i'll order black for batman. so what if i cover the bat a little. the trip and mileage is great. for mainstream including marketing, size, weight for women, and price point, these probably will sell more, get more people into this hobby/sport/transportation.

Archived