How to choose a first EUC?

Kaitlyn

I'm tempted to jump in and pick up my first electric unicycle, but there are so many models, generations of models, knockoffs, etc... it gets overwhelming real quick!

How do I actually go ahead and choose a model? They all seem so similar, and especially for the knockoffs  it seems things like battery life, max speed are not always accurate anyway...

I have little experience, but here are my 2c B)

• Choose a safe model for sure; see the discussion about BMS cut-off in the general forum
  • Think about the weight -- you will need to carry the wheel sometimes;
  • Bigger wheel (16"+) => more comfortable and less problems with bumps in the road
  • If you have enough money, I love the Solowheel Xtreme -- very comfortable & robust, very safe, great service.
  • Many people love the Ninebot One E+ (or C+), also safe & comfortable
  • And just do it -- one of the best buys I ever did! B)

Daan's list is solid although I wouldn't worry so much about the weight.  None of them are light and hopefully you'll be riding it more than carrying it!  

I'd suggest you stay away from the knockoffs, but after that pick the one you think looks the best.  The Ninebot was the one I first saw and fell in love with the styling.  I think I enjoy riding it more because I think it looks cool.  

If you find yourself still undecided, pick the more powerful.  It won't be any harder to learn on and once you get going you may really feel held back by a lower power EUC even if you are only just doing basic stuff.

I am using the wheel with pubic transportation, the Paris Metro, so I have to regularly carry it stairs up and down. I am quite happy that I "only" have to carry 11kg and not 15kg. I would for sure pay 100 bugs (or more) for each kg spared. Another point to consider is the size of the battery. If you want to use the wheel, say, for extended "walks" (+1h) you probably need more than 200Wh capacity. As a rough rule of thumb, 200Wh are good for somewhat above 1h and/or somewhat below 20km. 

Given that I live in Toronto and if I order from China I'm probably looking at ~1 month delivery - that doesn't give me a ton of time before winter rolls around.

Would anyone actually advise AGAINST waiting? I definitely seem to be leaning towards the Ninebot, but if I were to say aim for a Spring order the pricing might be coming down even more and (hopefully!) there'd be a newer generation or other improvements?

Hi @Kaitlyn, why not do both? Many new EUC riders outgrow their first wheel pretty fast, get a nice one and throw their learner wheel on the market. Have a look at ebay and the likes and get the cheapest beat up noname wheel that is technically still 100% usable from a seller with a track record to ship fast. Given you spend some $200 on such a beginners wheel, you can use the rest of the season to add your own scratches and nicks to it and probably sell it next spring for $50 less. 

I guess it is fairly safe to assume, that by than today's hottest selling EUCs will be at least $50 bucks cheaper - so, starting now will not really be that costly.

There is one caveat though: you will read from many comments on this board and others, that cheap EUCs are not safe - and that's true. Basically, they can loose power at any time without warning (search here for "BMS" for more background). The risk of you being hurt in the process is directly dependent on the speed you're driving when it happens. In other words, as long as you don't drive faster, than you can run, it's a calculable risk. Typical generic wheels start beeping at 12 kph. Running that fast is even within my limits and I'm a 59 year old couch potato ;)

With the experience gained with your learner EUC, you can make a much more personal choice of your perfect wheel next spring. The Ninebot One is a pretty good compromise between range, speed, safety, agility and looks (yep, I have one), but higher up on the learning curve, you may find something even better matching your particular preferences.

@Kaitlyn

Delivery from China is by DHL, UPS, etc... For North America, it's more 1 week than 1 month. Sure, Ninebot is what to buy without hesitation if the price range is ok.

Waiting has its pros and cons and incurs opportunity cost. It's a matter of "I want to be part of the revolution" or not, some like it, some hate it.

As to the cost going down, I'm afraid you're right. It's like buying PCs or smartphones. Waiting for the top notch product means never.

BTW, isn't Toronto touted for its underground walkways to fend off winter ?

@Kaitlyn

BTW, isn't Toronto touted for its underground walkways to fend off winter ?

Indeed we have underground walkways called the PATH system - but I cannot imagine any electric scooter ever being allowed there!

Would anyone actually advise AGAINST waiting? I definitely seem to be leaning towards the Ninebot, but if I were to say aim for a Spring order the pricing might be coming down even more and (hopefully!) there'd be a newer generation or other improvements?

The market for EUC's is a bit strange since it is in its infancy and new models and better features come out almost every day. It is a bit like the start of the PC market, or digital cameras around 2002. So, I would say just buy now and enjoy it :D Then, in one or two years you get the latest greatest at that point in time. One thing that may make you wait is to look for the new light-weight 'ring' models that are coming out 'soon' -- like the Solowheel Orbit and Fastwheel Ring; however, 'soon' may be anywhere between next month next next year ...

Moreover, I am probably in a minority here, but personally I wouldn't buy a cheap generic for 'learning'. For me, it was important psychologically that I trust the wheel. Especially in the beginning, a faceplant can really ruin the whole experience. My advice is to 'save for safe' (King Song, Ninebot, Solowheel, etc. see the forum lists). :D But hey, others do differently and have a great time too -- just my 2c. :D 

new models and better features come out almost every day.

What are all these new (and presumably better) wheels we can buy now that we could not buy, say, 60 days ago?

What are all these new (and presumably better) wheels we can buy now that we could not buy, say, 60 days ago?

lol ? yeah, perhaps I was a bit overstating matters. But for example, 6 months ago there was no king song, or Solo wheel xtreme. And in a few months we will see the IPS One and solo wheel Orbit. I think we will see a lot of improvements over the coming years -- first all models will become BMS safe and I think we will see a lot of nicer looking models and perhaps the ring models catch on. Perhaps less weight etc etc.

Of course, all depending if these wheel sell well enough..

On 8/4/2015 at 2:13 AM, Daan said:

lol ? yeah, perhaps I was a boy overstating matters. But for example, 6 months ago there was no king song, or Solo wheel xtreme. And in a few months we will see the IPS One and solo wheel Orbit. I think we will see a lot of improvements over the coming years

agreed, I am convinced too, and looking forward to it, even impatiently as it seems just to take so long...

On 8/4/2015 at 2:13 AM, Daan said:

-- first all models will become BMS ; and I think we will see a lot of nicer looking models and perhaps the ring models catch on. Perhaps less weight etc etc.

to see all this (and more) happen.

agreed, I am convinced too, and looking forward to it, even impatiently as it seems just to take so long... 

Yeah, it seems to take forever :wacko: Most wheels are still looking so 'prototype' :mellow:   I think when more money goes around in the market speed of improvements will increase -- in that sense it is good there are so many brands competing with each other. And I hope that the coming years we will see more battery improvements too so we get further with less weight B) 

I'm tempted to jump in and pick up my first electric unicycle, but there are so many models, generations of models, knockoffs, etc... it gets overwhelming real quick!

How do I actually go ahead and choose a model? They all seem so similar, and especially for the knockoffs  it seems things like battery life, max speed are not always accurate anyway...

I, like yourself, was hesitating just as recently as a week ago. For me an easy way to narrow the search down was the battery size and the speed. Once i figured that i want a battery over 340wh, this catapulted me into a realm of the very few brands only. For example i ruled out ninebot for that reason alone.

another one that helped me narrow the search down was maximum speed. Even though i wanted a reliable , safe wheel, i figured that i want to be able to ride faster than 18km/h. This ruled out a great many wheel brands.  I also decided that i am not spending more than $1000-1100on a wheel. I Then was left with a very few brands. Then i thought that all other things being equal, i should choose a wheel that will not turn the motor off at high speed but rather tilt the pedals back. I then ended up with the only remaining choice:).  

You may have a different set of parameters according to what you want. Start with the one that rules out the most number of brands and keep going unless you are left with the best choice:)

about waiting, yes you are right, if you wait the price will definitely go down a lot, and the better quality / reliability will become more standard...that is if you can wait ..:)

• 9 months later...

I got mine shipped to my brother's in the US for the holidays so that I can take it back to the GTA without paying duty.  Enjoying mine for now.  Did you finally get yours?

What are you replacing, and for what purpose is the vehicle should be on that list too, if replacing a car, then don't let money be a critical issue, the battery is expensive and you want the a large one for commuting....if for joy riding, battery not a issue...

These below are the big factors that are worth considering when choosing an electric unicycle:

• Comfort
  • Wheel size and tire width (wider wheels offer more comfort)
  • Battery capacity
  • Motor torque and speed (when looking to buy, ensure that the motor wattage is rated at sustained and not at peek performance)
  • Design and durability
  • Weight and convenience
  • Noise (larger wheels are typically very loud)
  • Reliability and safety
  • Manufacturer's warranty
  • Potential issues and problems
  • Cost
  • Extra features
  • Stability and control (EUCs with larger diameter wheels and EUCs that are heavier will be more stable than their smaller and lighter weight counterparts that will be more agile and therefore easier to control.)

With all of these factors considered, I believe that the MCM4 HS 680WH offers the best value for your money. You can find the MCM4 for just around $1,000 on AliExpress. Half of the expense goes toward the high capacity batteries. The lower capacity versions will be less expensive, but I strongly suggest going with the 680WH version if you can afford it. And not just for the range, but for the health of the batteries, the higher and longer lasting peek power output, and perhaps even the weight of the additional battery pack for the added stability and more uniform balance (with each pack balanced equally on either side).

It shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks for delivery to Toronto from China. It takes just around a week for delivery to the US.

Archived