Segway Ninebot Mini Plus Video RealWorld

Found this Video on YouTube! 21mins long from opening to the features of alarm, remote ect!

Cannot understand Manderin but here is a in depth first look in china.

MiniPlus ... the followmode is great. Checkout them riding a EUC with followmode! Awesum it's Full. ?

5 hours ago, SegwayMiniPro said:

Found this Video on YouTube! 21mins long from opening to the features of alarm, remote ect!

Cannot understand Manderin but here is a in depth first look in china.

MiniPlus ... the followmode is great. Checkout them riding a EUC with followmode! Awesum it's Full. ?

Yes, the MiniPro is now outdated and replaced with the MiniPlus.

Progress, you know.

I noticed that the remote Follow Me mode of the MiniPlus, occasionally, crashes into walls.

In crowds or markets, I would tether the MiniPlus with an attachment to keep it close.

Hopefully, the batteries are interchangeable?

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

These guys again. They're cool.

The follow mode is cute (if it works without suicidal behavior;)). Might be nice to go shopping with EUC and Mini, EUC for riding, and Mini follows you with the bags;)

Exactly!

6 hours ago, Rocky Romero said:

Progress, you know.

I noticed that the remote Follow Me mode of the MiniPlus, occasionally, crashes into walls.

In crowds or markets, I would tether the MiniPlus with an attachment to keep it close.

They're not, batteries are now mounted in the center Post. For stability.

IMG_2896.PNG

5 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

The batteries in the new model are in the "fin" - totally not interchangeable with the present model, if that's what you meant.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I want to keep the MiniPros and get the MiniPlus, when available.

Interchangeable parts, especially the battery, would make this more attractive.

Well, I can't stop the future & getting in it's way is futile.

Damn, how many cells are they packing? Is it more accessible? Not that we need to hack the bigger pack... You had lower center of weight on the pro, now the battery pack is above the wheel, more top heavy will make the remote control work better, plus it looks like there is more clearance underneath now...

I want to know how you supposed to pick it up, to go up and down stairs? I have to pick it by the neck now it's more stable that way if you pick it up by the foam padding, the foam going is to break down! It already has on mine...the plus has no neck!

22 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

Damn, how many cells are they packing? Is it more accessible? Not that we need to hack the bigger pack... You had lower center of weight on the pro, now the battery pack is above the wheel, more top heavy will make the remote control work better, plus it looks like there is more clearance underneath now...

I want to know how you supposed to pick it up, to go up and down stairs? I have to pick it by the neck now it's more stable that way if you pick it up by the foam padding, the foam going is to break down! It already has on mine...the plus has no neck!

The MiniPro is a transporter that does some remote control.

I have placed an iPhone with camera to view from it's perspective.  Little value so far.

The MiniPlus is a remote controlled unit/robot that does some transporter features.

This has more remote robot potential when the attachments are unveiled.

Having both makes sense to me.

Price considering.

The point at which the device crashes into the pillar illustrates just how dangerous this "follow me" mode is.  It clearly has no anti-collision feature.   If that that pillar had been a small child, and I was the parent, I'd probably personally disassemble the MiniPlus in short order. 

Note in the video that the device tries to follow where the remote currently is, and does not attempt to follow the path where the remote was.  So on corners it would attempt to cut across rather than go around.  About the only situation in which it would be sensible to use it would be in an open space with nobody near, with a good surface - and why walk in such a place when you could ride? 

Taking into account the loss of adjustabily and the removal of the pulling handle, I'll say again that this new model is a significant step backwards in terms of real-world utiltiy and safety.

1 hour ago, Ozpeter said:

The point at which the device crashes into the pillar illustrates just how dangerous this "follow me" mode is.  It clearly has no anti-collision feature.   If that that pillar had been a small child, and I was the parent, I'd probably personally disassemble the MiniPlus in short order. 

Note in the video that the device tries to follow where the remote currently is, and does not attempt to follow the path where the remote was.  So on corners it would attempt to cut across rather than go around.  About the only situation in which it would be sensible to use it would be in an open space with nobody near, with a good surface - and why walk in such a place when you could ride? 

Taking into account the loss of adjustabily and the removal of the pulling handle, I'll say again that this new model is a significant step backwards in terms of real-world utiltiy and safety.

It's simple.

Just tether it with a rope.

Solved.

That might avoid a complete runaway but still wouldn't stop it deviating to the side enough to collide with an oncoming pedestrian.  I guess a pulling bar could be attached to make it safe -but then you've reinvented the original model...I am firmly of the view that 'follow me' is a potentially dangerous gimmick, unless properly implemented with anti collision sensors. YMMV!

3 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

That might avoid a complete runaway but still wouldn't stop it deviating to the side enough to collide with an oncoming pedestrian.  I guess a pulling bar could be attached to make it safe -but then you've reinvented the original model...I am firmly of the view that 'follow me' is a potentially dangerous gimmick, unless properly implemented with anti collision sensors. YMMV!

I wish I understood Chinese ... I thought the miniplus was equipped with IR sensors to avoid collisions in follow me mode.

Hello..there is a camera attachement in between the handle. i am sure Xiaomi is working on the follow me mode as is already possible with DJI Mavic or Spark with avoidance sensors all around and follow Map mode. it is coming. You can also mount a 3 axis gimbal on the body to take selfie movie mode for trailer shot..all in the works!  

On 8/4/2017 at 0:30 AM, FlyingRat said:

Hello..there is a camera attachement in between the handle. i am sure Xiaomi is working on the follow me mode as is already possible with DJI Mavic or Spark with avoidance sensors all around and follow Map mode. it is coming. You can also mount a 3 axis gimbal on the body to take selfie movie mode for trailer shot..all in the works!  

The camera is a gimmick, the Proximity IR sensors found on the mavic and Spark is on the miniplus I believe on the kneebar ... maybe they should have added mor sensors ... mavic has decent sensors but still prone to collisions. I own and fly drones and find the mavic an upgrade from my Inspire pro only because it has sensors that I find very useful but the pilot ultimately avoids collisions. The Camera Is horrible color wise on my mavic so I have been playing with the spark. Wow what hype. Zero range on this little baby, But amazing color correction vs the mavic and yes the sensor is great, reconizes hand gestures which is 50/50 btw. The spark is the future when it comes to avoiding collisions, but it's a major update in hardware sensor tech. Hardware vs Software.

my concern is how is the follow me mode in real world situations. Bumps as well as motion ... like a cyclist, car, pedestrian ect.

6 hours ago, SegwayMiniPro said:

my concern is how is the follow me mode in real world situations. Bumps as well as motion ... like a cyclist, car, pedestrian ect.

Based on what you mentioned, the real world situation may be for indoor personal use, so far.

The MiniPlus could be a great assistant, carrying loads, and following in a controlled environment.  Even riding from room to room or in the immediate vicinity might be its greatest use with aging population.  A true robot.

As a transporter, the MiniPro is more appealing to me than the MiniPlus.  That may change once I get used to the MiniPlus or when there is no other choice.

Progress is happening and that's positive.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Ozpeter said:

Good points there.  It does appear to attempt to get to the current remote location rather than follow the path taken by the remote.  However, in the video the guy was running away from the Mini at quite a speed.  In normal use few of us would be jogging through built up, busy streets while the Mini followed.  That would just be silly and dangerous.  Wouldn't most of us just be riding the thing instead?  The follow me mode would be super useful for me personally as there is part of my regular route through an off-road country area that isn't nice to ride over but the MiniPro goes over fine in remote control mode. 

Having said that, I will not be buying this model.  It's big, bulky, heavier and in my opinion uglier than its predecessor.  And the lack of a quick-release removable knee bar is a huge deal breaker for me.  That massive white lump half way up the kneebar is for storing a camera that most people will never buy?  Is that all it's for?  And thus it's just a big ugly empty piece of useless plastic? What a weird design decision.

7 hours ago, Ozpeter said:

So often the first version of something tech is actually the best - after that they strip features or generally dumb the thing down.

The Mini future depends on user acceptance.

Newer riders of the MiniPlus would adapt quickly and be unaware of the MiniPro differences.

With the financial backing of Xiaomi and the Chinese momentum, it seems that the Mini has a strong future.

For me, the Mini is a perfect transporter in the city.  More so than the EUC, bicycle or scooter.

Segway has branded itself, via Segway tours, for the community and the Mini steps very nicely into that user image.

• 9 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 8:59 AM, Rocky Romero said:

Progress, you know.

No the miniplus will not replace minipro. MiniPro is better than miniplus. Here's why, adjustable knee bar, price, and an aftermarket for Minipro. And  there are original factory parts available to repair Minipro.Not the miniplus. I won't get one until they make adjustable knee bar and different tires.

Archived