Scariest fall riding at night

Demargon

Yesterday I was looking for a helmet but not decided yet about witch one buy. On that night I go for a easy ride what comes into a huge scare. And hugest was my surprise for saving the logs trap with one single scratch in the arm from one log, no faceplant and anymore scratches. Happy for my luck (or reflexes) for saving my head, I go to buy a nice helmet right now.

Here is the video I was recording then

https://quik.gopro.com/v/h20mg6yRVZ/

I was from group 1 rider since I have my first motorbike (and helmet) in 1990. Always wearing helmet, boots, gloves, jacket... But the speed of the euc is below of bikes and those aren't helmet mandatory here.  I suspect I go to buy another new helmet to keep it unused like the 7 helmets I already have in home (2 from my childhood, 2 more when I grow, 2 of my father and 1 for the bike)

If I stop putting me in danger for video recording, probably I get more safety than wear helmet.

Otherwise I share sidewalks and other pedestrian places like molls and station with lot of people who don't wear helmets, if I wear it, is a way to say I'm a danger for me and probably anyone who doesn't wear it and cross in my path. That's isn't good promotion for any kind of transportation, less for one made for commute on the paths shared by pedestrians. I'm happy looking confident with what I doing and let the people come and try my euc because it looks easy and confortable

With one wheel I think it's a much different story than a two wheeled vehicle.  Everyone's free to do whatever they want of course, but for me, I kinda like my skin intact and wear whatever I can to help avoid injury.  Same reason why I wear a seatbelt while driving.  With four wheels and being inside a steel shell there's even less need for protective gear.  As I move to fewer wheels I think the protection level should increase.  I don't think I scare people when I wear gear.  They likely think I'm well prepared for anything considering I'm balancing on a single wheel!

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

With one wheel I think it's a much different story that a two wheeled vehicle.  Everyone's free to do whatever they want of course, but for me, I kinda like my skin intact and wear whatever I can to help avoid injury.  Same reason why I wear a seatbelt while driving.  With four wheels and being inside a steel shell there's even less need for protective gear.  As I move to fewer wheels I think the protection level should increase.  I don't think I scare people when I wear gear.  They likely think I'm well prepared for anything considering I'm balancing on a single wheel!

We dress for the slide, not the ride!

??????

The one wheel ride of euc is significantly more stable and safe than a bike or rollerblades, lees wheels come in more secure ride. Maybe if the drivers of cars haven't that safety measures they have less accidents. Mostly of those caused for a over confidence becoming in distractions. And remember those motor vehicles, bikes and skaters are not allowed to ride sideways or inside molls

My intention is wearing helmet only if I go to record in the forest by night, leaving it in home when I go for a easy ride.

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

The one wheel ride of euc is significantly more stable and safe than a bike or rollerblades, lees wheels come in more secure ride. Maybe if the drivers of cars haven't that safety measures they have less accidents. Mostly of those caused for a over confidence becoming in distractions. And remember those motor vehicles, bikes and skaters are not allowed to ride sideways or inside molls

My intention is wearing helmet only if I go to record in the forest by night, leaving it in home when I go for a easy ride.

I hope life doesn't change your mind for you, like it did to me. I decided at 60 miles, having never crashed (dropped wheel but not me) that I didn't need knee pads anymore.. 

The result of that decision:

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

The one wheel ride of euc is significantly more stable and safe than a bike or rollerblades, lees wheels come in more secure ride.

Please ....What???

Yes @KingSong69, I have many falls in bike and rollerblade skating with a large collection of injuries in knees, hands and wrists, none of them wearing protection. I also do some Motocross, what is more dangerous and I get some really painful crashes, always wearing full protective gear, some of these will become in serious injuries without helmet. 

In the opposite I never been ride in night, recording with a phone and trying to get the best footage, being blind for my safety. That's because I get to match confidence due the euc is really easy for save almost any fall: they haven't handles to trap you, brakes who make slide the front wheel or are fixed on your foots making impossible to evade it in emergency cases. Plus of the stability of euc making extremely rare the common but landing of skaters. 

In few words I think is safer because the speed limit, the great stability and the inexistence of limiting structures like handles and attaches needed for ride other wheeled vehicles but really upsetting in crashes.

I have to say I was well trained in braking falls due lot of judo, acrobatic and many circus discipline, thanks those I can talk of my fall from my home, otherwise maybe I do the same from a hospital bed (I got my face passing really fast few centimetres near of a log in last fall)

1 hour ago, Demargon said:

Yes @KingSong69, I have many falls in bike and rollerblade skating with a large collection of injuries in knees, hands and wrists, none of them wearing protection. I also do some Motocross, what is more dangerous and I get some really painful crashes, always wearing full protective gear, some of these will become in serious injuries without helmet. 

In the opposite I never been ride in night, recording with a phone and trying to get the best footage, being blind for my safety. That's because I get to match confidence due the euc is really easy for save almost any fall: they haven't handles to trap you, brakes who make slide the front wheel or are fixed on your foots making impossible to evade it in emergency cases. Plus of the stability of euc making extremely rare the common but landing of skaters. 

In few words I think is safer because the speed limit, the great stability and the inexistence of limiting structures like handles and attaches needed for ride other wheeled vehicles but really upsetting in crashes.

I have to say I was well trained in braking falls due lot of judo, acrobatic and many circus discipline, thanks those I can talk of my fall from my home, otherwise maybe I do the same from a hospital bed (I got my face passing really fast few centimetres near of a log in last fall)

I dont know which wheel you have...is it only running 8-12kmh?

Otherwise, if not, and you have a faster wheel: I really wish that you never experience any sudden cutout! Not this "video at night struggle", where -ironic- my grandma would have run off without problem...

I mean a sudden cutout, hmmh, because of batterie defect, burned mosfet, burned board, motor defect, melted cables, overlean...where in a nano second your wheel just collaps and even Superman would not be trained enough to run this out, as this just smashes you into the ground! I can assure you that in such a case you did not even have the time to take your hands or your feet up....

i am to lazy to search for prooving video's ...but they are spread all over this board, facebook groups etc, with people now having some nice stabilzed metal in their wrists, hands, or even face

And sorry, i really can not go over a statement, saying that something with one wheel is "more stable" than bikes....

So dont take it personal...its just to make it clear that this isn't the case.

My v5f is the third euc what I have. I do many cut offs several in middle of a slope, downhill, due over speed without more problem than see my euc crashing long way down on a rocks or trees. Also I rode three more manual unicycles of 20", 24" and 30" doing lot of crazy shit. Just search for "monobruti" in youtu to catch the idea. 

Since I see some euc riders falling at 40km/h I realized I need to learn how to break falls, and I do it riding over grass to simulating front, back and lateral, falling at different speeds. And I pretty sure it is easier fall (not run off) from a bike than a euc due the numbers of things can going wrong: braking or turning too match, losing a pedal, break or lost the chain, and of course the injuries due hitting the hard or sharp parts of a bike in a crash

Btw I have a nice New Fox helmet for my loco riding and I promise a video wearing it

This whole problem of the motor abruptly cutting off and the falls it causes seems really ridiculous - there needs to be improved control law software. Why the heck should the motor cut off so suddenly, when it could more gradually taper off? Talk about unsafe design - sheesh.

23 minutes ago, sanman said:

when it could more gradually taper off

"Gradually tapering off" Motors would lead to the same faceplant/fall as a cuting off Motor...It belongs to the principles of self balancing vehicles that you Need enough "self balancing" power...so thats just not possible!

Archived