Do you guys even walk now?

ubertoad

On 7/28/2017 at 9:51 AM, ubertoad said:

Cause as for me it is pretty much ceased and it is a bit creepy.

Maybe you have done something about that?

Ah yes walking.  Try what I did last week and you'll do plenty of walking.  Take a long paved trail(on your EUC) that ends far in the woods away from civilization on a dirt trail.  Be sure when you start the trip that your battery is not charged and you will not be able to complete the trip.  After you get 4 miles from your starting point where you parked make sure that's where the battery is at the point that you can no longer ride.  Also important is that the whole way down is downhill and the whole way back is uphill so there is no way to possibly get a recharge.  Once you realize your stuck you get to carry your 35 lb wheel all the way back, only riding the few downhills and walking the uphills.  Also very important that your wheel doesn't have a trolley or some easy way to transport it as this takes away from the workout.  Follow this plan and you'll get plenty of walk and exercise and even a little hiking throw in.  

You can all thank me later........................................

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Acturbo said:

Ah yes walking.  Try what I did last week and you'll do plenty of walking.  Take a long paved trail(on your EUC) that ends far in the woods away from civilization on a dirt trail.  Be sure when you start the trip that your battery is not charged and you will not be able to complete the trip.  After you get 4 miles from your starting point where you parked make sure that's where the battery is at the point that you can no longer ride.  Also important is that the whole way down is downhill and the whole way back is uphill so there is no way to possibly get a recharge.  Once you realize your stuck you get to carry your 35 lb wheel all the way back, only riding the few downhills and walking the uphills.  Also very important that your wheel doesn't have a trolley or some easy way to transport it as this takes away from the workout.  Follow this plan and you'll get plenty of walk and exercise and even a little hiking throw in.  

You can all thank me later........................................

lol but then there's the backpack option no? ;)

once i figure out what to do with my wheel when i go swimming after work i'll be doing a lot less walking than i have been. i've been mixing the days where i walk from metro to pool and riding wheel from metro to home

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Image result for idea iconWhat if you strapped on some wrist weights, just a pound or two?  That would workout the upper body also.  I only ride about 30 minutes a day, but you gave me the idea to get some of those strap on sandbag weights for the arms.  Thanks!

Let us know who that works out. Sounds like an interesting idea. :thumbup:

36 minutes ago, kour said:

lol but then there's the backpack option no? ;)

I do have that now. At the time I did not. This specific instance made me buy the backpack. Lol

On 7/30/2017 at 11:59 PM, Marty Backe said:

I disagree with that blanket statement. After a 3 hour ride on mountain trails my legs feel like I got a workout. I'm in a near constant squat fighting the conditions of dirt trails.

Perhaps if you're riding around straight legged on smooth streets you aren't getting a lot of exercise. But join me in some California riding and I'll give you a workout :D

If you did three hours of mountain biking on those same trails, covering the same distance, would you say you would get more or less of a workout than riding a wheel?

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

If you did three hours of mountain biking on those same trails, covering the same distance, would you say you would get more or less of a workout than riding a wheel?

You're joking right :D  I'm just saying that trail riding on an EUC will give your legs (and core muscles to a lesser degree) a workout relative to sitting on your butt watching TV ;)

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You're joking right :D  I'm just saying that trail riding on an EUC will give your legs (and core muscles to a lesser degree) a workout relative to sitting on your butt watching TV ;)

Tool-using primates invented tools so that they could do less, not more, work. All successful forms of transportation expend less energy and time for a given distance.

An EUC makes getting to a place easier, not harder. Going out of your way to trail ride has merit but exercising your muscles is not one of them as there are more efficient and safer forms of exercising than that. I would argue that using an EUC as a form of exercise is a terrible idea as the chances of injury are high and the work is quite low. However, the alternative of sitting on a chair or couch is even worse as study after study shows that sitting...is as bad as smoking.

27 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Tool-using primates invented tools so that they could do less, not more, work. All successful forms of transportation expend less energy and time for a given distance.

An EUC makes getting to a place easier, not harder. Going out of your way to trail ride has merit but exercising your muscles is not one of them as there are more efficient and safer forms of exercising than that. I would argue that using an EUC as a form of exercise is a terrible idea as the chances of injury are high and the work is quite low. However, the alternative of sitting on a chair or couch is even worse as study after study shows that sitting...is as bad as smoking.

I certainly agree that riding EUCs is not a primary means of exercise. But I still totally disagree with your original statement:

Don't fool yourself in thinking wheels are exercise. The opposite is true; like an astronaut you have to set aside time to work out your muscles.

When I complete a long trail ride my leg muscles feel used and fatigued. That does not happen when I normally go about my day. So clearly in my case I am getting exercise and your astronaut analogy does not hold up.

Again, come to California and I'll show you :)

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I certainly agree that riding EUCs is not a primary means of exercise. But I still totally disagree with your original statement:

Don't fool yourself in thinking wheels are exercise. The opposite is true; like an astronaut you have to set aside time to work out your muscles.

When I complete a long trail ride my leg muscles feel used and fatigued. That does not happen when I normally go about my day. So clearly in my case I am getting exercise and your astronaut analogy does not hold up.

Again, come to California and I'll show you :)

Do you use your wheel primarily for trail riding?

Not too good, I put a  2 1/2 pound wrist weight on each wrist, after about 10 minutes my shoulders started aching, rode another 5 minutes to get back to the car and take them off.  That was 5 hours ago and shoulders still ache slightly.  They made riding less enjoyable also, but I think they might be good for walking.:P

What if you strapped on some wrist weights, just a pound or two?  That would workout the upper body also.  I only ride about 30 minutes a day, but you gave me the idea to get some of those strap on sandbag weights for the arms.  

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Let us know who that works out. Sounds like an interesting idea. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Do you use your wheel primarily for trail riding?

Yes. All of my wheels are used more than 50% of the time on trails.

Yes, I walk staircases, in the house, and when abroad. The latter leads occasionally to sore muscles in the lower legs. No regrets or worries. 

55 minutes ago, Mono said:

Yes, I walk staircases, in the house, and when abroad. The latter leads occasionally to sore muscles in the lower legs. No regrets or worries. 

I'm pretty sure you could redesign your house to be more EUC friendly. Ramps instead of stairs, hardwood and concrete floors, etc. Walking is so last millennium.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. All of my wheels are used more than 50% of the time on trails.

So the other 49% of the time, you basically ride like, well, like me. So you can't totally disagree with me on my first statement.

I removed the trolley handle of my Inmotion V5F and try not to use the trolleys on my other wheels because my legs had turned to jelly from an over reliance of wheels. You cannot tell me you get any exercise from riding a wheel. Hell, being on the wheel doesn't even use leg muscles for balance because the wheel balances for you.

I confess I nodded off the other day while on a stretch of smooth straight asphalt.

52 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

So the other 49% of the time, you basically ride like, well, like me. So you can't totally disagree with me on my first statement.

I removed the trolley handle of my Inmotion V5F and try not to use the trolleys on my other wheels because my legs had turned to jelly from an over reliance of wheels. You cannot tell me you get any exercise from riding a wheel. Hell, being on the wheel doesn't even use leg muscles for balance because the wheel balances for you.

I confess I nodded off the other day while on a stretch of smooth straight asphalt.

I give up :huh:

:popcorn: Does exercising your brain count?  I'm usually rolling around thinking about where that black bunny is that I saw in the field wishing it would appear again.  I've got a small freeze-dried strawberry treat in my pocket for it if it ever appears again.  Although two bunnies would be a poop storm of daily enclosure cleaning which I don't think I'm quite up to just yet.  I'd rather argue with strangers on the internet about weird facts and stuff like that than deal with all those little droppings any day.  Use the darn litterbox already!!!  :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Hell, being on the wheel doesn't even use leg muscles for balance because the wheel balances for you.

LOL, I can set up a mannequin and it will remain standing on flat ground without any active balancing effort. While I never tried, I guess that setting up a mannequin on a wheel won't work, even though the wheel "balances for you" and the ground does not. I am puzzled, as usual.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

LOL, I can set up a mannequin and it will remain standing on flat ground without any active balancing effort. While I never tried, I guess that setting up a mannequin on a wheel won't work, even though the wheel "balances for you" and the ground does not. I am puzzled, as usual.

Really?! You've never had a wheel continue to roll onward without you, essentially forever until it hits something?

Comparing EUCing to mountain biking directly on the distance has no meaning whatsoever. As does not driving a car vs doing somersaults. I ride my KS-16S about 70km a day. Did I not have the KS, I would not walk 70km a day (even if my legs could). With my previous wheel Lhotz I rode about 45km a day, yet I think the physical exercise I do now is about the same. So 70km on an EUC does not necessarily mean more exercise than 45km. And owning an EUC does not mean less exercise than before.

To have a point, the comparing must have a real life correlation. For example, "before EUC I used to walk and run, not anymore". Or "before the EUC I used to sit on the couch eating snacks all the time, not anymore".

With the KS-16S the distances have lost their meaning, once again. 45km trips twice a day used to sound like a huge distance, but with a good wheel it's quite easy to do. And what it opens up is bicycle trips with two dear friends of mine, watching the sunrise in the harbours of the next town, finally riding again the paths and cliffs I spent my youth on on a mountain bike, surprising my brother coming from work in the city, and so much more.

None of those would have happened without the KS-16S. THAT is a meaningful comparison.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:18 AM, Antshark said:

Pffft... bipedal locomotion is so yesterday

When I have to walk, I feel like I'm slogging through quicksand. I ask myself, will I ever get there?? I'm spoiled from gliding everywhere quickly and easily!

3 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

When I have to walk, I feel like I'm slogging through quicksand. I ask myself, will I ever get there?? I'm spoiled from gliding everywhere quickly and easily!

my god.. ive only had my unicycle less than a month and i already have the exact same feeling.. i really hope its because im so used to gliding around 3x as fast and not because my legs are slowly morphing into a wheel xD

On 7/29/2017 at 0:18 AM, Antshark said:

I've actually had a lot of problems riding while carrying trash bags... tell me your secret.

Place the trash bag on the ground. About 1 foot to the side of the bag, get yourself set with one foot on the wheel, one foot on the ground. Pick up the bag and find a comfortable position to hold it. Step onto the wheel and ride over to the dumpster!

Archived