Jump to content

Properly charging KS16B vs. KS16S


RenaissanceMan
 Share

Recommended Posts

The manual to my KS16B states: "Plug in the power source AFTER [bold capitals by @RenaissanceMan] inserting the charger plug, this can prevent potential risk to ensure a safer charger". I always followed this instruction to the letter by first connecting the charger to the KS16B and then to the power outlet and never had any problem.

However, in a German instruction for the KS16S I found (@RenaissanceMan's translation into English follows:) "Always connect the charger first with the power outlet, then with the wheel".

Now which is it? Those instructions seem to be contradicting between KS16B and KS16S.

Could anybody please shed some light onto this issue and perhaps report his/her experiences with charging the KS16 wheels?

How does it work it with other wheels?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the connector to the wheel is such that it is easy to accidentally wiggle it causing the connection to be intermittent for a second. I would much rather have an intermittent connection at the AC wall socket than the DC wheel connector. The currents are also lower at the AC.

An extension cord with a switch feels the safest for me.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RenaissanceMan said:

The manual to my KS16B states: "Plug in the power source AFTER [bold capitals by @RenaissanceMan] inserting the charger plug, this can prevent potential risk to ensure a safer charger". I always followed this instruction to the letter by first connecting the charger to the KS16B and then to the power outlet and never had any problem.

However, in a German instruction for the KS16S I found (@RenaissanceMan's translation into English follows:) "Always connect the charger first with the power outlet, then with the wheel".

Now which is it? Those instructions seem to be contradicting between KS16B and KS16S.

Could anybody please shed some light onto this issue and perhaps report his/her experiences with charging the KS16 wheels?

How does it work it with other wheels?

I would say do it the way the manual says, but if it sparks anywhere, then try it the opposite way.  Whichever way doesn't spark is probably the best way.  As to other wheels, on the ninebot one E+, I have seen someone post a page from the manual that says wheel first then wall, just like your Kingsong, however mine sparks at the charge port when I do it that way so now I plug in the charger to the wall  first, then the charger to the wheel and it never sparks that way.  So the way that doesn't spark is probably the best way.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

 As to other wheels, on the ninebot one E+, I have seen someone post a page from the manual that says wheel first then wall, just like your

My grandson's NB1 was repaired last week by Ninebot US. The return packaging included a flyer that clearly states to plug the charger into the wheel first and then into the electric wall source. I should call the tech tomorrow and get a definitive answer as to why this connection sequence is recommended. WZKgDPE.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fast charger that ewheels makes for Inmotion says Ac first then the wheel. I screwed up and the first time I used it I got it the wrong way around and the charging light turned green right away as if the battery was full yet the wheel showed it was charging. I turned everything of and reconnected the specified way and it worked fine with the red charging light. It left me assuming that maybe some chargers require a specific connection sequence to allow proper detection of a full battery and charging shutoff. Who knows? The official Inmotion manual doesn't specify a sequence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The fast charger that ewheels makes for Inmotion says Ac first then the wheel. I screwed up and the first time I used it I got it the wrong way around and the charging light turned green right away as if the battery was full yet the wheel showed it was charging. I turned everything of and reconnected the specified way and it worked fine with the red charging light. It left me assuming that maybe some chargers require a specific connection sequence to allow proper detection of a full battery and charging shutoff. Who knows? The official Inmotion manual doesn't specify a sequence.

 

What you describe is the behaviour that esaj explained in his answer, the wheel is "powering up" the charger:

 

14 hours ago, esaj said:

For reverse polarity protected BMSs, it shouldn't matter that much, but if there's no reverse polarity protection (like at least older Gotways didn't have), unpowered charger will draw current FROM the battery to charge up the output capacitors on the charger, and it can cause sparking, so there it should be done exactly the other way around.

@RenaissanceMan

That's why in General it is a good idea to plug in the charger first...and then the wheel...

But as KS wheels normally have this "reverse polarity" protection it shouldn't matter at all!

On Gotways you can destroy your wheel for example if you have your key or something metallic fallen on your Charge port...Kingsongs (and some newer GW's) dont have that, they are protected.

 

But what i also can say is that my NEW KS18S behaviour is different than my older KS models, and i would guess that it is not different on a 16S:

When i power ON my KS18S while i am charging...it does NOT stabilize the wheel anymore! It gets Power to connect to Bluetooth and app...but the main function -stabilize wheel- just does not work!

On the 14d/s, 16S, 18S there are no "Special" Charge wires anymore to the Batterie packs...the Batterie packs are driven by a 3 wire solution for both directions (and a small balancer wire).

And as until now nobody describes how the Batterie/BMS and all this works in Detail on the 14S/16S/18S.....i would suggest to follow Kingsongs instructions...and plug in the charger first before plugging the wheel.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28.7.2017 at 4:51 AM, Rehab1 said:

My grandson's NB1 was repaired last week by Ninebot US. The return packaging included a flyer that clearly states to plug the charger into the wheel first and then into the electric wall source. I should call the tech tomorrow and get a definitive answer as to why this connection sequence is recommended. WZKgDPE.jpg

That's funny. I charged my ninebot for two years the opposite way. The charger was always connected to the outlet and the charging plug was connected / unplugged as necessary to recharge the wheel. Never had any sparks or other problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, Christoph Zens said:

That's funny. I charged my ninebot for two years the opposite way. The charger was always connected to the outlet and the charging plug was connected / unplugged as necessary to recharge the wheel. Never had any sparks or other problems.

After mine sparked when connecting the plug to the wheel first, I always plug the charger to the wall first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...