How difficult is it to learn a manual unicycle after learning EUC?

eddiemoy

I was intrigued by learning analog uni too. I bought a cheap 20" on Amazon also. I learned it in under 90minutes. I was able to go about 60ft. Made a quick video of it and haven't really touched it since. Wanted to learn, but it didn't stick like EUC...My wife wants me to throw it away now since I don't use it. I put it in storage...

On 12/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, Rama Douglas said:

I was intrigued by learning analog uni too. I bought a cheap 20" on Amazon also. I learned it in under 90minutes. I was able to go about 60ft. Made a quick video of it and haven't really touched it since. Wanted to learn, but it didn't stick like EUC...My wife wants me to throw it away now since I don't use it. I put it in storage...

I'm hoping that doesn't happen... i read the 24" is similar effort and speed to jogging.  Hoping it turns into a much funner version of jogging that's easier on the knees, and maybe developing into mountain unicycling.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, Blueblade said:

I'm hoping that doesn't happen... i read the 24" is similar effort and speed to jogging.  Hoping it turns into a much funner version of jogging that's easier on the knees, and maybe developing into mountain unicycling.

Yeah I could see myself getting into a proper sized one and attempting MT bike trails some day, but that would really take some skill and training.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am *Still* not riding mine yet (spent ~3 weeks in hospital for my son, most of Jan missed) , but i feel I am close now at least.  I have been spending about 5-10 mins per day for a total of ~2 weeks total or so, maybe 90 mins practice time or so, I haven't kept good track.

I was surprised how fast It changed from feeling completely impossible to possible pretty quickly. I have ridden up to 2 whole revolutions (4 pedal strokes) away from a handhold before falling, i can almost feel it! Hopefully soon...

I think EUCing has actually helped with learning after all, just not with the pedaling part (which is a huge part of it), more the riding and steering on one wheel part though was helpful at least.

• 3 weeks later...

(Preface - I DON'T ride a UEC. I DO have a extraordinary number of kms on unicycles under my belt. I HAVE got many dedicated people onto unicycles.)

So...How difficult?

Think of a unicycle as a seat on top of a broom stick on top of a ball bearing. I'd suggest that it is more or less as difficult as it would be if you have NEVER ridden a UEC.

Bikes, skateboards, even walking, is fairly easy to learn. There is only one thing about a unicycle that makes it difficult to learn. How to keep the wheel from running away from under you, back or forward.

On a unicycle you have to constantly adjust the pedal pressure to accelerate and decelerate the wheel that is (approximately) under you to remain (approximately) under you. Because you are constantly in a state of falling either backwards or forwards, the wheel has to hasten back or forward to prevent that. All the time having to also manage the relatively easy task of not falling left or right.

This constant adjustment is done over every portion of a rotation of the wheel and has to be both instant and precise.

THAT is the reason why a unicycle is difficult to master.

On SBU's (self balancing unicycles), Segways, and EUCs the firmware does that for you. After mounting, all that remains for the rider to manage is to direct it and to not fall left of right, a relatively easy task on a body traveling forward. Riders will not have developed engrams ("muscle memory") to manage the forward-aft imbalance.

==============================================

For those trying to learn don't give up in hopeless however. Riding a unicycle is a skill, not a talent. Talent you have to be blessed with. But skills can be learned and, with the right instructor, the right unicycle and the right physical environment a person of normal abilities can learn to ride a unicycle. Pretty much every baby ever born learned to walk. It's just that baby never saw walking as optional and kept at it.

Edited by ColinOldAndCranky

I can ride both, i was able to ride a unicycle before i even heard of EUCs.

The skills and muscle memory do not translate over, you have to learn nearly from scratch if you go from one or the other. 

I would say a very small percentage of left and right balance can translate over but this is also true of walking and riding a bike.