How difficult is it to learn a manual unicycle after learning EUC?

eddiemoy

lunicycle was invented by shane chin, the solowheel guy.  the one who claim to have invented the EUC's.  yeh, seen the second video too, the kids are amazing!  that is why i think i should be able to learn this.

• Upvote 2

I too have started learning how to unicycle.

I don't think that knowing how to EUC helps in terms of technical skills. But it pretty much removes most of the mental barrier, because we know it's perfectly okay to just fall and fail again and again as part of the learning process.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:04 PM, kasenutty said:

I knew how to ride a unicycle already from riding one as a kid, but still had a real rough 3-4 days when I started the EUC. 

Is this a Seattle thing? My colleagues who have kids apparently send them to circus camp and they all know how to unicycle...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You need one of these:

Watching this next video I realize that other people are just so much more amazing than me.  :blink:  :crying: Dammit what the heck??   And if riding a basic  unicycle isn't enough you gotta invent a side whacked offset unimonstrosity of impossibility to ride on.  Sigh.... I'm done.... I'm just done.  :rolleyes:

That second to last part does give me an idea of how people can ride their EUCs where only bicycles can go... hmmm.... :w00t2:

The lunicycle in the first vid looks pretty uncomfortable to ride.  The riders' hips are torquing left and right with every pedal stroke and so is the wheel itself.  Can't get behind that one.

The family in the second video is great though ... and those unicycles!  Love it when the tiniest one is zipping between the other two.  Super cute.  And dang those little squirts are so good already!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7/29 - Back at it again, this time wearing jeans to reduce the likely hood of the pedal bites being really bad.  My right leg is still hurting today.  I did another 25 minutes today, but I did more of the along the fence for feeling out the balance.  Let go of the fence, ride one or two revolutions then catch myself on the fence again.  I was able to do a max of 5 revolutions this way and it made me feel like there was a little progress.  I did try to ride away from the fence a bit.  I feel fear is the thing that is holding me back a little.  I also noticed that if I held the seat between my legs by tilting my knees in, it seem to help me stay up and more balanced.  My legs were burning this time because I had less falls, more cycling.  I do feel like I'm going to get it soon as my balance is starting to take shape.  Maybe a few more 25 minute sessions is all I need.  This is exactly how I learn on the EUC, along the fence.  

Previous updates:

7/28 - Another 20 minutes today, no progress, did max 5-6 revolutions.  My right leg got chewed up today by the pedal.  Got hit twice from behind by the pedal.  Sweat through my t-shirt.  Have the feeling that I will never get it.  But I know this is not true.  Just need time and effort!  Will continue to try until my brain "clicks".

7/26 - spent another 20 minutes on the unicycle.  again along a fence, but this time the balance wasn't as difficult.  I was also able to ride it a maximum of 3-4 revolutions before falling off. Two peddle bites!  Got punched in the nuts with the seat!  But progress!

7/25 - spent about 20 minutes on the unicycle.  using a fence to try to get on.  got a peddle bite on my left shin.  had wrist guards on, figured out half way though it was in the way.  don't need them because falling off a unicycle is just stepping off.  felt like impossible to learn.  spent the whole 20 minutes just trying balance, staying upright.  After I was dripping in sweat.  About the same as I remember when learning to ride the EUC.

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Antshark said:

I too have started learning how to unicycle.

I don't think that knowing how to EUC helps in terms of technical skills. But it pretty much removes most of the mental barrier, because we know it's perfectly okay to just fall and fail again and again as part of the learning process.

Is this a Seattle thing? My colleagues who have kids apparently send them to circus camp and they all know how to unicycle...

Maybe! They taught us in PE class in elementary school. They had pogo sticks and unicycles, I'd always go for the unicycle :D

• Upvote 1

@eddiemoy your trying is admirable, I remember my learning of manual unicycling like a long time of frustration and few progresses. But I was keen in slow and controlled ride what is hardest than the usual straight and "fast" riding.

You need to notice the 20" unicycle normally cruise below 7-8km/h, in the beginning don't try to go faster. Practice how to brake and stop also can give you a extra of confidence

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7/29 (evening) - This is bugging me and I had to throw in another 20 minutes.  No pedal bites.  I was able to balance for a second or two.  I round that leaning a little backwards in the seat while I have it between my thighs allows me tremendous control. I continued my along the fence training and was able to let go of the fence and feel like I'm riding then push off the fence.  I'm not grabbing for dear life as much anymore.  I was also able to ride about 15 feet before falling to the left or right, so much more than a few revolutions.  Almost feel like it is "clicking".  I think at most maybe a few more sessions.  I should be able to go forward and then I need to learn to turn.  I want to learn getting on, or free mounting as well as idling too.  I did a little bit of idling by the fence.  It is a crazy workout.  My thighs are burning and I was drenched when I came back into the house.  Progress and lots of it!  It feels so close I can taste it.  Now it isn't feeling like it is impossible anymore!  WOOHOO!

Previous updates:

7/29 (morning) - Back at it again, this time wearing jeans to reduce the likely hood of the pedal bites being really bad.  My right leg is still hurting today.  I did another 25 minutes today, but I did more of the along the fence for feeling out the balance.  Let go of the fence, ride one or two revolutions then catch myself on the fence again.  I was able to do a max of 5 revolutions this way and it made me feel like there was a little progress.  I did try to ride away from the fence a bit.  I feel fear is the thing that is holding me back a little.  I also noticed that if I held the seat between my legs by tilting my knees in, it seem to help me stay up and more balanced.  My legs were burning this time because I had less falls, more cycling.  I do feel like I'm going to get it soon as my balance is starting to take shape.  Maybe a few more 25 minute sessions is all I need.  This is exactly how I learn on the EUC, along the fence.  

7/28 - Another 20 minutes today, no progress, did max 5-6 revolutions.  My right leg got chewed up today by the pedal.  Got hit twice from behind by the pedal.  Sweat through my t-shirt.  Have the feeling that I will never get it.  But I know this is not true.  Just need time and effort!  Will continue to try until my brain "clicks".

7/26 - spent another 20 minutes on the unicycle.  again along a fence, but this time the balance wasn't as difficult.  I was also able to ride it a maximum of 3-4 revolutions before falling off. Two peddle bites!  Got punched in the nuts with the seat!  But progress!

7/25 - spent about 20 minutes on the unicycle.  using a fence to try to get on.  got a peddle bite on my left shin.  had wrist guards on, figured out half way though it was in the way.  don't need them because falling off a unicycle is just stepping off.  felt like impossible to learn.  spent the whole 20 minutes just trying balance, staying upright.  After I was dripping in sweat.  About the same as I remember when learning to ride the EUC.

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think balancing in place is a prerequisite to riding, as little balance nor control is possible when in the dead space. Unicycles riders look like they have control, lurch through the dead space, then regain control once on the other side.

Therefore just sitting there, perhaps holding a pole, for long stretches of time, is the best thing to do. Because without control there is no regaining control once you're past the dead zone.

• Upvote 3

7/30 - Spent 50 minutes today learning the unicycle.  No pedal bites.  I took it slow today, so was just seating mildly.  I spent a lot of time just trying to feel the balance.  Letting go of the fence and just trying to balance upright.  I notice I've been trying to stand on my two legs.  I tried to force myself to sit on the seat.  I had many long forward rides of more than 15 feet.  Very controlled until I lost my balance either left or right.  I need to learn to balance left and right to keep going.  This is pretty much the time it took Mike Boyd to learn unicycling.  He learned to unicycle 30 seconds in 2 hours and 38 minutes.  Today my total is 2 hours and 35 minutes and I'm only at 3-4 seconds.  It isn't a race to learn, I know... 

Previous updates:

7/29 (evening) - This is bugging me and I had to throw in another 20 minutes.  No pedal bites.  I was able to balance for a second or two.  I round that leaning a little backwards in the seat while I have it between my thighs allows me tremendous control. I continued my along the fence training and was able to let go of the fence and feel like I'm riding then push off the fence.  I'm not grabbing for dear life as much anymore.  I was also able to ride about 15 feet before falling to the left or right, so much more than a few revolutions.  Almost feel like it is "clicking".  I think at most maybe a few more sessions.  I should be able to go forward and then I need to learn to turn.  I want to learn getting on, or free mounting as well as idling too.  I did a little bit of idling by the fence.  It is a crazy workout.  My thighs are burning and I was drenched when I came back into the house.  Progress and lots of it!  It feels so close I can taste it.  Now it isn't feeling like it is impossible anymore!  WOOHOO!

7/29 (morning) - Back at it again, this time wearing jeans to reduce the likely hood of the pedal bites being really bad.  My right leg is still hurting today.  I did another 25 minutes today, but I did more of the along the fence for feeling out the balance.  Let go of the fence, ride one or two revolutions then catch myself on the fence again.  I was able to do a max of 5 revolutions this way and it made me feel like there was a little progress.  I did try to ride away from the fence a bit.  I feel fear is the thing that is holding me back a little.  I also noticed that if I held the seat between my legs by tilting my knees in, it seem to help me stay up and more balanced.  My legs were burning this time because I had less falls, more cycling.  I do feel like I'm going to get it soon as my balance is starting to take shape.  Maybe a few more 25 minute sessions is all I need.  This is exactly how I learn on the EUC, along the fence.  

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do you have any violent torquing of your hips and back while trying to stay up?  That's one of the things I'd be most worried about, I think, and I think about it in relation to EUC's too.  I don't want to hurt my back.  I know ruptured spleens are associated with skateboarding, too, which can violently torque your hips and torso.

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Do you have any violent torquing of your hips and back while trying to stay up?  That's one of the things I'd be most worried about, I think, and I think about it in relation to EUC's too.  I don't want to hurt my back.  I know ruptured spleens are associated with skateboarding, too, which can violently torque your hips and torso.

No, you are going so slow and it is really controlled after a hour on it.  But falling off I've had one where I had to activate my core to stop myself from falling on my butt. 

• Upvote 2

You can point outside with one knee to make a turn in that direction, pushing inside with the other at the same time. Maybe this help to correct the lateral falling.

Point with two knees inside make you move straight forward in theory

Edited by Demargon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8/1 - Spent 25 minutes today and feeling it has almost "clicked".  I'm having the lower body movement now that I see in people who ride unicycles.  The twisting of the wheel  left and right, that seems to stabilize me more so I can ride longer.  No pedal bites.  Getting more confident in mounting.  I still cannot free mount yet.  But I was able to ride very for 35 feet.  I think maybe another session is all I need to click.  My brain is working it out and nearly there!  So close I'm excited and I can almost taste it!  Total of 3 hours learning now!

Previous updates:

7/30 - Spent 50 minutes today learning the unicycle.  No pedal bites.  I took it slow today, so was just seating mildly.  I spent a lot of time just trying to feel the balance.  Letting go of the fence and just trying to balance upright.  I notice I've been trying to stand on my two legs.  I tried to force myself to sit on the seat.  I had many long forward rides of more than 15 feet.  Very controlled until I lost my balance either left or right.  I need to learn to balance left and right to keep going.  This is pretty much the time it took Mike Boyd to learn unicycling.  He learned to unicycle 30 seconds in 2 hours and 38 minutes.  Today my total is 2 hours and 35 minutes and I'm only at 3-4 seconds.  It isn't a race to learn, I know... 

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8/1 (afternoon) - Spent another 30 minutes.  Can ride pretty consistently for 30 feet.  I still cannot stay on indefinitely.  Think I need to give my brain a rest and hope my muscles develop enough in the areas that are weak.  Next couple of days are raining, so I thought this would be my best chance to get some more practice in.  I'm almost there, so excited.  I find that it is much easier to ride down my driveway which has a very very gentle slop than to ride up.  I practice both ways and notice I'm better on the down slope or level ground.  Total of 3 hours and 30 minutes so far still no cigar! :(  I know I will get it, but taking longer than I expected.  There is noticeable progress, but I can't say I've learned it yet.  

Previous updates:

8/1 (morning) - Spent 25 minutes today and feeling it has almost "clicked".  I'm having the lower body movement now that I see in people who ride unicycles.  The twisting of the wheel  left and right, that seems to stabilize me more so I can ride longer.  No pedal bites.  Getting more confident in mounting.  I still cannot free mount yet.  But I was able to ride very for 35 feet.  I think maybe another session is all I need to click.  My brain is working it out and nearly there!  So close I'm excited and I can almost taste it!  Total of 3 hours learning now!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

any updates?

8/9 - Update

I've not had any time to try again for any extended period.  I threw out my back and it has been raining here.  My back is almost normal, maybe in another few days.  I did give it a try for 5 minutes today and feel like I'm about to get the turning and was able to stop and go.  It is so close I can taste it.  LOL

• Upvote 1

Learning the unicycle in under 5 hours is extraordinarily quick but of course we all knew that because all EUC riders are above average in athletic ability.

This is data for people who learned successfully, the average seems to be 10-15 hours. Interestingly, spending more time per session makes you learn slower (I think). So learning in small increments seems to work best. Indeed, I'm going to learn just 3-5 minutes every hour or so during my workday, and see what happens.

https://klaasbil.home.xs4all.nl/agelearn_short.htm

However, I saw an estimate that only about 1 in 800 people who try riding a unicycle actually succeed. I suspect that best thing to have is determination, as I feel anyone can learn the uni but they give up after a fall or two.

I was about to write that I spend more time than that bing-watching Netflix but on reflection that isn't comparable at all because learning both the EUC and the uni requires extraordinary levels of effort that we hardly ever do.

I've ordered a uni and I'll post back here on how it went for me, using just 3-5 minutes every few hours instead of a big hour session.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1