Prospective e unicycle buyer.....newbie question for once you've mastered things

Paddylaz

Hi everyone,

First poster here. I'm a prospective buyer who's excited about joining the community. Looking at the Ninebot e+.

Ive watched every youtube video there is, read every review on amazon-US concerning the learning curve etc etc.

One thing I haven't found despite looking, is a description of how easy it is to use these things ONCE you've mastered them. What I mean is, even after you've got through the learning curve, does it eventually become genuinely as second nature as riding a bicycle? (or indeed....a segway). Can you really enjoy your commute/recreational trips hassle free or is there always a level of concentration/skill that needs to keep being focussed on to avoid face planting?

Asking because....I don't mind how long the learning curve is. If anything I quite like the idea of mastering a new skill that others can't do. No matter it takes me days/weeks/months(!). But I want to know that once I have 'mastered' it.....it's a joy to use and not something that you need to always be a little tense/in-concentration with at all times. Especially concerning things like moving very slowly on the pavement when you need to....and mounting/dismounting.

Thanks a lot, sorry for the verbiage but hope my question makes sense. Oh and hi! 

Once mastered, yes - you enjoy it immensely.
However, in my view, it is not something you can turn off from & take it for granted - it needs constant concentration.

The balance side of things is like riding a bike, once you've managed it, your body naturally sets itself to 'a balance mode'.  But whereas a bike having 2 wheels will generally glide over most bumps without you realising, a unicycle won't - this is where total, constant concentration of the area you riding in is needed.  Watch, be aware & anticipate the terrain & you won't go far wrong.

Welcome Paddylaz,

I'm still a beginner and I enjoy the thing even if I haven't been able to ride more than one meter !!! You quickly realize all the potential of that funny thing and fiercely want to "master" the beast !!!

Bleu9mm

Once you have the technique it does become second nature but the big caveat is the size of wheel you use.

Bigger wheels roll over obstacles easier and with little drama whereas small wheels (10"), whilst being great fun and very manoeuvrable do not like lumps and bumps, you are alright if you concentrate on the road ahead but hit a lump or bump you haven't noticed and it can upset you balance a huge amount and easily have you off.

I find you have to want to really want to learn how to ride it and with all the videos you have watched you are half way there, it will become second nature and get easier but you will always have to remember what you are on and what can happen if you don't pay attention.

im 50 and just started riding the Ninebot E+ and love it it's so much fun, it's a great way of getting around,although around here those bicycle people give you very weird looks.

anyway get one, go slow and take your time and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

PS. If you can hold someone's arm for balance it helps

Yes it does become second nature. It's good and bad. My buddy and I often find ourselves on our phones when we're on the sidewalk just cruising along at full speed. Just last night, I was on an electric skateboard and he on the 9bot1, he was snapchatting on his phone and wasn't looking up. If I didn't say anything, he probably would have went straight into a group of people. It's like when you zone out walking and texting on your phone following the sidewalk. After that incident, we try not to take out our phones, but it's hard not to use your phone when you feel like your just strolling along with your faster set of feet.

For me its kind of comparable to riding free-hand on a bicycle, but i am not past 300km yet. I dare to check the app for speed on good roads but I still pull out my hands out of my jackets pocket when entering uneven terrain like gravel roads.

For me its kind of comparable to riding free-hand on a bicycle, but i am not past 300km yet. I dare to check the app for speed on good roads but I still pull out my hands out of my jackets pocket when entering uneven terrain like gravel roads.

Same for me, I have to keep focused on the road, two days ago I had a pretty bad crash since, I was riding on a sharp 270degree turn going uphill and I had a dog pulling slightly, I forgot to keep an eye on the road since I was going at a good speed and it seemed really cool riding this uphill turn... Until i fell, ohh. In my other had, I had a plastic bag with a dogshit, so I couldn't really do much to stop the fall :), by miracle, I didn't get damaged.

Yesterday I crashed into a bush, I was in a left grand curve, the dog was pulling my right arm, meaning the balance wasn't to good, and then a small girl on a tricycle appeared in front of me, and she heading straight for me, so i endeed up in the bush. both the girl and the father greeted my friendly :D so thats at least good.

The actual riding (ie. controlling the wheel) has developed to an "instinct" or "reflexive" action on me, like riding a bike, but that doesn't mean I can just cruise around without paying attention. You have to anticipate how people and other road users are going to be moving, keep an eye on any crossing roads/bicycle lanes/pedestrian walkways where pedestrians or bicycles or whatever could suddenly cut in front of you or hit you, keep an eye on the road surface at all times in case of sudden bumps or holes, where to turn, how far and fast is that bike coming towards me, do I have to crawl behind the pedestrians in front of me, or do I have the time to go around them, and then return to my side of the road etc. You must be constantly aware of your surroundings, and that's where it's important to learn to ride the wheel without having to think how you ride, you just "do it"  ;)  Don't fiddle with your phone while you're cruising down the road at 25+km/h while there are other people on it.  :P

And the only way to develop your riding skills to that level is to practice the riding, a lot (preferably in quiet areas at first).

I've just bought our first euc and my 13 year old son was whizzing away within minutes, but it took me a couple of hours to be able to ride more than a few meters.

I was surprised at how tense I was and how much concentration is needed. 

We have ridden the last 4 days constantly around a convenient lake with a 3 mile path around it & the constant riding has really helped a lot.

I find that when I feel a little tired I relax and ride so much better and seem to ease into it.

The only problem is that we now need to another one because we both enjoy it so much.

That's the problem with kids! They pinch all your toys! :)

My yongest did exctly the same and stole my first euc so I had to get a second post haste.

It is much more fun with two eucs riding together though, and you push each other to attempt more difficult things and therefore improve much faster. :)

Just had my first lesson yesterday......loved every second but feel like i cheated a bit as I ended up staying most of the day on the two-wheeled one the instructor brought. Rather than the ninebot...which I couldn't seem to stay more than a few seconds on.

Is this normal? Do you eventually become as comfortable and in control on one-wheel as you do on the two-wheel variants?

I feel I should probably avoid the two-wheel during the next session and just concentrate on the real deal.

Is this normal? Do you eventually become as comfortable and in control on one-wheel as you do on the two-wheel variants?

Some are naturals and they get it right away... for the rest of us it takes time.  It depends on how good your balance is.  But keep at it and you will get there.   You might want to practice balancing on a balance board or similar (that helped me).

Just had my first lesson yesterday......loved every second but feel like i cheated a bit as I ended up staying most of the day on the two-wheeled one the instructor brought. Rather than the ninebot...which I couldn't seem to stay more than a few seconds on.

Is this normal?

yes

Do you eventually become as comfortable and in control on one-wheel as you do on the two-wheel variants?

yes, besides for speeds very close to and at zero. 

I feel I should probably avoid the two-wheel during the next session and just concentrate on the real deal.

I would believe that training with a two-wheeler is much longer effective than training with additional training/supporting wheels. Switching to the "real deal" early might just make your life harder and the learning curve less steep. I guess that if you are reasonably comfortable with the two-wheeler, it will take only ten minutes to be off and running with the one-wheeler (let us know).

Just a thought, but are two wheelers less stable on an adverse camber  or uneven surface ?

Never having ridden on a two wheeler, I can't say. But when I visualize it in my head, it seems that it would be less stable unless there's some sort of independent suspension system.

Just a thought, but are two wheelers less stable on an adverse camber  or uneven surface ?

yes! That was the only thing I noticed despite how much easier the two-wheeler airwheel was. Was going over uneven Tarmac around a London park, and the two wheels made turning and maneuvering difficult on any ground less than 100% flat and consistent. Had several wobbles once I had gotten good that I suspected were due to the two wheels.

Never having ridden on a two wheeler, I can't say. But when I visualize it in my head, it seems that it would be less stable unless there's some sort of independent suspension system.

I bought a Q3 with two wheels which as mentioned  in a previous post i can't get my hands on or feet  b/c my son is glued to it.

I was watching him on it today and it did seem to wobble and become unstable on a lumpy stretch of path.

We intend to buy another one possibly a Ninebot E+ and I was wondering whether it would be better for commuting on one wheel rather than two.

yes! That was the only thing I noticed despite how much easier the two-wheeler airwheel was. Was going over uneven Tarmac around a London park, and the two wheels made turning and maneuvering difficult on any ground less than 100% flat and consistent. Had several wobbles once I had gotten good that I suspected were due to the two wheels.

Thanks, I'm glad it wasn't just me imagining it.

Archived