Joining the club

electricpen

7 hours ago, electricpen said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love  Yeah I am leaning towards the E+ atm since I see some pretty good deals on them. I will probably hang onto it after I am done learning so I can have a loaner wheel for people who want to try my wheel so I don't have them beating up my nicer wheels.

AS i understand it correct you have ordered a KS16S allready??? Don't have to much thoughts about banging it up....just protect it with lots of this Baby foam and you will be good to go. I am no fan of learning on a "cheap clone" or something....

At first These cheap wheel are -mostly-really bad and cant give you the stable feeling a KS or GW would give you!

Second...after about 30 to 300 Minutes you are done with "bumping and scratching" and will be able to drive......so you will never look back or use the cheap wheel again. Then it sits in the house, has cost another 300bucks, and nobody wants to buy it, as selling used EUC's is not so easy, cause the demand is low!

So i always vote for buying a superb wheel directly(like you have done, very good choice, the 'S' series from KS are super good and safe!)...

Just protect it nicely! And -as you said- in the worst case, there is the Option to buy a new Shell (or other pieces as replacement).

But you will see, this case will not happen :-)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm pretty certain that the Ninebot One C+ has the same 16" tire as my Ninebot One E+ if memory serves me right.  The IPS a130 looks okay, but it's a 12" wheel which might be even harder to learn on than a 14" wheel.  Overall I think the Ninebot One C+ or E+ are good starter wheels to learn on as they have some heft to them, the 16" wheel handles bumps easier, and they are mostly built like tanks.  The Segway Ninebot S1 might be another good choice, but it has a 14" wheel and can get scuffed up easily.  I would lean towards an E+ if you can as the extra speed and range is nice.

I learned on a cheapo 14" generic wheel, and it served its purpose well.  The speed and range was low so it fell out of use quickly.

You are right @Hunka Hunka Burning Love and that was my mistake.  The Ninebot at $399 is a great price, and you can wrap it up while you are learning.   I wouldn't wish a 12" wheel on someone new ... 14-16" mark the "sweet spot"

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Protective padding is a great idea. The strap is ok as long as you don't depend on it. Just wrap it around the handle and loosely tuck the other end it in your pocket so you can easily grab it  before the wheel tumbles to the ground.

My wife will be learning on her new KS16S this weekend and she has requested the strap. If you remove the fear obstacle of dropping your wheel your concentration and somatosensory feedback will increase and you will learn much faster.

Do you guys know of a good/cheap place to get padding to use on the KS?

10 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

I've used those and also these which a 1/2 inch thick so you might want both...

Seattle Sports 1/2" Bulk Foam with Adhesive, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC9DNGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VC5EzbG4JMWDG

34 minutes ago, electricpen said:

wow that 7-20 day shipping time... 

I bought 3 of those from Amazon, and another 5 from banggood. They will be destroyed so just buy a bunch and have them available. They are worth it.

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I bought 3 of those from Amazon, and another 5 from banggood. They will be destroyed so just buy a bunch and have them available. They are worth it.

That's what I do with Banggood ... things are cheap, and if you know you'll use them, stock up.   I like the looks of the Seattle Sports Foam ... I may order and try

I have decided on the KS-17S, too, and am also waiting. I am hoping I will not bang it up too badly, but if I do, I figure that, new shells and pedals are under $100.  Fear of a ding or scratch will most likely slow the learning process.

2 hours ago, yasbean said:

I have decided on the KS-17S, too, and am also waiting. I am hoping I will not bang it up too badly, but if I do, I figure that, new shells and pedals are under $100.  Fear of a ding or scratch will most likely slow the learning process.

Hi!

While you can do the shell+pedal thing, you can also buy some of that foam (or just use cardboard and duct tape) and pad up your wheel. First day on hard/outside surface will do the most damage. After a month or so, once you're a bit experienced, you will no longer need any padding.

--

Tip to all: don't buy too much of that foam, I have 13 rolls of the stuff here I'll never use:facepalm: (I got overexcited by all the colors;))

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hi!

While you can do the shell+pedal thing, you can also buy some of that foam (or just use cardboard and duct tape) and pad up your wheel. First day on hard/outside surface will do the most damage. After a month or so, once you're a bit experienced, you will no longer need any padding.

--

Tip to all: don't buy too much of that foam, I have 13 rolls of the stuff here I'll never use:facepalm: (I got overexcited by all the colors;))

Haha thanks for the warning, I got 5 rolls - I won't get more until I've burned through at least 3-4 of them.

Just as an update, my Kingsong still hasn't left China yet and I was getting impatient so I picked up a ninebot s2 to learn on while I wait. It should be arriving early next week. You guys are a terrible influence, I somehow have 2 new wheels now and I haven't even tried to ride once yet! :o

22 minutes ago, electricpen said:

You guys are a terrible influence, I somehow have 2 new wheels now and I haven't even tried to ride once yet! :o

Haha! Thats normal though, don't worry.

I believe you usually you will get no shipment notification for departures inside China. So while it looks like nothing happens, your wheel is on its way and one day you get notified it is in your country!

In theory - I bought through a local dealer who places the order with the factory once I pay. He is supposed to let me know when it leaves china and he has said it should be leaving the factory any time now but it still hasn't yet.

53 minutes ago, electricpen said:

In theory - I bought through a local dealer who places the order with the factory once I pay. He is supposed to let me know when it leaves china and he has said it should be leaving the factory any time now but it still hasn't yet.

My KS16S took a few weeks before they got a shell for it. If it weren't for the long shipping time, it's neat they make a wheel just for you.

Of course, I know that isn't true at all, but I like to think KS is making a custom wheel just for me.

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Haha! Thats normal though, don't worry.

I believe you usually you will get no shipment notification for departures inside China. So while it looks like nothing happens, your wheel is on its way and one day you get notified it is in your country!

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

My KS16S took a few weeks before they got a shell for it. If it weren't for the long shipping time, it's neat they make a wheel just for you.

Of course, I know that isn't true at all, but I like to think KS is making a custom wheel just for me.

The guy I ordered from just let me know it is leaving the factory now.... I think I'll still get the ninebot first but probably not by that much. Impatience strikes again! Oh well, I still was planning to keep both wheels and I think there will be reasons I choose to use the ninebot on some days. I guess I should just be happy I'll have the kingsong earlier though haha.

2 wheels are always good to have - 1 as your main and 1 as a back up in case of puncture or fault. I had 2 wheels but sold my old IPS, a month later I had 2 punctures in 2 weeks on my KS!! I was fixing punctures at midnight to make sure I had a mode of transport the next day. You never know what will happen but backup plans are always good when it comes to it.

Wow, my impatience is going to backfire... The Kingsong is arriving tomorrow and the ninebot won't get here until next Thursday. I don't think I have the patience to stare at it for a week ... so might be learning on the Kingsong anyway haha. They shockingly shipped it one-day shipping from china :blink1:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order your KS16S from?  Sounds like pretty good service if they are shipping it that quickly to you.  I've bought some hoverboards and my generic EUC from China, and I think DHL/Fedex shipped them within 5 days to me which is crazy fast.

12 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Wow, my impatience is going to backfire... The Kingsong is arriving tomorrow and the ninebot won't get here until next Thursday. I don't think I have the patience to stare at it for a week ... so might be learning on the Kingsong anyway haha. They shockingly shipped it one-day shipping from china :blink1:

I suggest padding up your KS16S really well; it should look like a catcher's mitt. Don't even try to make it look pretty and pad the handle too. The pedals will especially get knocked around so pad them up with foam AND duct tape the edges. Go overboard.

I dropped my first wheel a ton of times in the first month and even with the foam padding and cover I still ended up buying a new case + pedals.

2 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I suggest padding up your KS16S really well; it should look like a catcher's mitt. Don't even try to make it look pretty and pad the handle too. The pedals will especially get knocked around so pad them up with foam AND duct tape the edges. Go overboard.

I dropped my first wheel a ton of times in the first month and even with the foam padding and cover I still ended up buying a new case + pedals.

I saw someone do something I thought looked like it might work in a video... they wrapped the entire wheel in bubble wrap. I might try it since  you can get an entire roll and rewrap it as needed.

Archived