I just got my Msuper V3s+ today! Surprised by the look!

On 9/9/2017 at 9:21 PM, eddiemoy said:

You should try the KS18S. It is a much better wheel and no need to spend a year to get comfortable.  It took me less than a week to learn to sit and rid at high speeds. You cannot compare the KS16S to the Msuper.  

I did get my MSuper 3s for $750, undoubtedly it's worth much less than that especially compared to the KS18s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2017 at 9:34 PM, LanghamP said:

I took my MSuper 3s out for the first time in over a month, for an hour in a mix of urban and park riding. It's pretty friggin' impressive wheel, much more so than I remember.

One big problem is setting the air pressure on the MSuper but I've semi-solved that by using a pump that doesn't lose air while unscrewing, and checks the tire pressure while pumping. This is invaluable for getting consistent and correct handling from the MSuper. For me, that tire pressure is 40-42 psi.

Set at that pressure, the MSuper is as agile and responsive as my KS16S, with considerably more power. Interestingly, while I occasionally scrape the footpads on my KS16S on higher speed turns (never yet on low speed turns), I've never done so with the MSuper.

The wide pads I think are an advantage as I clamp them and essentially feel locked in place. The higher speeds of the MSuper don't encourage letting the wheel float between your legs; I think that's a very bad idea as you probably wouldn't recover easily from bumps.

A video reviewer suggested not buying this wheel for at least a year into riding EUCs due to the advanced skills required, and I'd agree with that assessment. It's a wheel you cannot just grow into; you have to learn your skills elsewhere then transfer those skills into riding this wheel.

When I first rode this wheel I could ride it fast but with little control. I still feel this wheel is well beyond my skill but I catch glimpses of its potential. It really is a fantastic wheel with the caveat that you have to be pretty skilled and even somewhat mad to ride it.

Whereas my KS14c and my KS16S are just happy to be ridden, with little skill required, the MSuper requires a long long time before I got even a bit comfortable, and still requires great concentration. It's a serious wheel, not very good for riding around getting groceries or strolling through campus.

I have to disagree.  While I only have the MSuper V3s+ and a KS-14b, and I cannot compare the V3s+ to a KS-18 of any flavor (yet), I can assure you that that video reviewer is wrong.  This is a wheel that demands you have skill to ride it, yes; but you can grow into it from nothing, and I am living proof of that.  That is exactly what I have done.

I am not a master of riding yet, but every time I ride I have more skill than before, and more fun than before.  At this point, I am putting miles on it like they are nothing.  6 miles used to be an astonishing feat to me, just a month ago.  Now I do it practically in my sleep, literally futzing around wishing I could go for a REAL ride when I don't have the time.

Any wheel can be learned, grown into and mastered from scratch.  The question is, are you willing to put in the required effort?  The first wheel you learn to ride is going to be the one you most likely prefer.  The one(s) before this latest one will most likely be preferred, because they are familiar and easy.  The more wheels you master, the more you develop a universal mastery, and can then do anything with anything.

So again, it's just a matter of what you're willing to do to learn that wheel.  My KS-14b feels very alien to me right now; I have not found a graceful, consistent or easy way to mount it, and it's very squirrely compared to the MSuper.  I don't particularly like it just yet, but I still practice on it.  Doesn't mean I won't like it when I have enough experience with it.  Doesn't mean I can't learn and even master it with enough determination and perseverance!

On 9/11/2017 at 12:30 PM, LanghamP said:

I did get my MSuper 3s for $750, undoubtedly it's worth much less than that especially compared to the KS18s.

I got my MSuper V3s+ for US $1,950, and I'd say it's worth every penny of what I paid.  I can't compare it to the KS-18S yet, but the MSuper V3s+ is a fantastic wheel.  I fall more in love with it every time I ride it, and every time I fall more in love with it, I make it a point to ride it more often.

If you don't think it's worth $750, then you have strong preferences elsewhere.  That's not necessarily to say that it's not worth that; it's just not worth that to you, right now.

I'm looking forward to getting the KS-18S and trying it out.  But is it worth $2k?  Not to me, not right now, because I don't have that kind of money to toss around and because I have something that fills that niche just fine right now.  Will it be when I have one and have put a few hundred miles on it?  Maybe... depends on whether or not it compares favorably to my MSuper for what I want it to do.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

7 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I have to disagree.  While I only have the MSuper V3s+ and a KS-14b, and I cannot compare the V3s+ to a KS-18 of any flavor (yet), I can assure you that that video reviewer is wrong.  This is a wheel that demands you have skill to ride it, yes; but you can grow into it from nothing, and I am living proof of that.  That is exactly what I have done.

I am not a master of riding yet, but every time I ride I have more skill than before, and more fun than before.  At this point, I am putting miles on it like they are nothing.  6 miles used to be an astonishing feat to me, just a month ago.  Now I do it practically in my sleep, literally futzing around wishing I could go for a REAL ride when I don't have the time.

Any wheel can be learned, grown into and mastered from scratch.  The question is, are you willing to put in the required effort?  The first wheel you learn to ride is going to be the one you most likely prefer.  The one(s) before this latest one will most likely be preferred, because they are familiar and easy.  The more wheels you master, the more you develop a universal mastery, and can then do anything with anything.

So again, it's just a matter of what you're willing to do to learn that wheel.  My KS-14b feels very alien to me right now; I have not found a graceful, consistent or easy way to mount it, and it's very squirrely compared to the MSuper.  I don't particularly like it just yet, but I still practice on it.  Doesn't mean I won't like it when I have enough experience with it.  Doesn't mean I can't learn and even master it with enough determination and perseverance!

I spent the most time on the Ninebot, but that is far from being my favorite wheel.  I love the KS16 for the portability.  I love the KS18S for longer rides.  You need to try the KS18S, it is much better than the Msuper.  I got them at around the same time.  Spent about the same amount of time on them in the beginning. I continue to try to like the Msuper, but it is still behind the KS18S.  I think when the KS18L comes out it will be my favorite wheel.  The trolley handle on the Msuper is awkward.  The KS16 trolley handle is awesome!  It is what the KS18S lacks.  

If the wheel is hard to learn or feels weird, it is a design flaw that makes it so.  IMHO

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I spent the most time on the Ninebot, but that is far from being my favorite wheel.  I love the KS16 for the portability.  I love the KS18S for longer rides.  You need to try the KS18S, it is much better than the Msuper.  I got them at around the same time.  Spent about the same amount of time on them in the beginning. I continue to try to like the Msuper, but it is still behind the KS18S.  I think when the KS18L comes out it will be my favorite wheel.  The trolley handle on the Msuper is awkward.  The KS16 trolley handle is awesome!  It is what the KS18S lacks.  

If the wheel is hard to learn or feels weird, it is a design flaw that makes it so.  IMHO

It took me a very long time to independently arrive at the following foot position for the MSuper. I describe it as going over the road then dragging the wheel behind me over the bumps although video of myself shows no such thing.

I cannot comment on the KS18, but for me the KS16 and the MSuper feel telepathic, with perhaps the edge going to my MSuper.

The MSuper sits on a guitar stand most of the time as getting it up three flights of steps is misery.

• 2 months later...

Archived