Saturday Morning Griffith Park Ride - 29Jul2017

Marty Backe

23 hours ago, Mushuukyou said:

Ok, I never got notified for this. I thought I was going to get an email. This kind of pissed me off. Could someone email me?

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not practical for me to e-mail everyone. Announcements are made in this section of the forum. All I can suggest is to periodically check the Local Groups for postings. Sorry that you missed the ride.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I used to do that. Unfortunately the Forum limits you to a handful of recipients. Since there are now over 20 local riders I would have to send out multiple messages. Each message then becomes different because I have to have a different list of recipients. You have to wait between each message too.

I just got tired of doing all that, and it eats into my mail limit too.

If people are interested in group rides then I figure they can put the effort into following the Forum a little bit closer.

Following the Forum is definitely one solution!

But one can also follow a topic by clicking the grey "follow" line at the bottom. So if one Starts a general "LA group Rides by [your group Name]/Martin Backe" topic every follower gets a notification on any new post in this topic.

Then one can decide if one wants to just link new group ride topics into this followed general topic or also "discuss" each ride in there...

PS.: never tried this, but could be a nice solution for everyone?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Following the Forum is definitely one solution!

But one can also follow a topic by clicking the grey "follow" line at the bottom. So if one Starts a general "LA group Rides by [your group Name]/Martin Backe" topic every follower gets a notification on any new post in this topic.

Then one can decide if one wants to just link new group ride topics into this followed general topic or also "discuss" each ride in there...

PS.: never tried this, but could be a nice solution for everyone?

Good idea. It never occurred to me that you could follow the entire Forum. There isn't a lot of traffic in the Local Groups so it might not be too bad.

On 7/27/2017 at 9:35 PM, Sven said:

It's not the accessibility I was talking about. I can get to the motor with my eyes closed now LOL

The issue is to tighten the shaft nuts to the pedal and when you look at the mainboard side nut (when you get a chance to open yours) it's sitting inside of pedal bracket that you can hardly wrench it nor use any regular 1" sockets because of the motor cables. Last time i did this, took me 1 hour unscrew the nut and severely damaged the nut where you can't use wrench anymore. 

I wonder if the E-bike shop has some deep offset flare (crowfoot) nut sockets.  They have an open side and can reach down into tight spots.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/flare-nut-socket

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder if the E-bike shop has some deep offset flare (crowfoot) nut sockets.  They have an open side and can reach down into tight spots.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/flare-nut-socket

Yeah i was all over the places last week looking for the right sized oxygen sensor socket, the one in your link. But they don't make anything bigger than 7/8" and Monster needs 1"

I even bought a regular 1" socket and took it to a nearby machineshop and they said sockets are very hard to cut and cannot be altered. 

I believe Jason's talking to Gotway about this matter. 

22 minutes ago, Sven said:

Yeah i was all over the places last week looking for the right sized oxygen sensor socket, the one in your link. But they don't make anything bigger than 7/8" and Monster needs 1"

I even bought a regular 1" socket and took it to a nearby machineshop and they said sockets are very hard to cut and cannot be altered. 

I'm curious to know how much of the nut protrudes above the pedal bracket. 1/16", 1/4", 1/2"?   If it's a 1/4" and you have a 25mm (not 1") wrench then it should be doable with existing tools.

Of course from your previous statements it looks like you may have already rounded over the nut in which case you need a Deep Offset Wrench like this

21fYRK59feL.jpg

I'll continue to emphasize that you should only use metric tools on these wheels otherwise the hardware gets destroyed.

16 minutes ago, Sven said:

I have an 1/8" thick wrench that size somewhere at my shop, but I can cut that socket up with my new pneumatic hax saw. Been dying to try it out on something. I will mock one up tomorrow and let you know the results. Hell, I may even have one around from another project. Pm me the exact parameters and Ill see what I can do.

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm curious to know how much of the nut protrudes above the pedal bracket. 1/16", 1/4", 1/2"?   If it's a 1/4" and you have a 25mm (not 1") wrench then it should be doable with existing tools.

Of course from your previous statements it looks like you may have already rounded over the nut in which case you need a Deep Offset Wrench like this

21fYRK59feL.jpg

I'll continue to emphasize that you should only use metric tools on these wheels otherwise the hardware gets destroyed.

This might work but i've already told jason that i will no longer "try to" fix my wheel when it should be covered by his warranty. 

So I'm just going to wait for his shipping label ;) 

9 minutes ago, Sven said:

This might work but i've already told jason that i will no longer "try to" fix my wheel when it should be covered by his warranty. 

Oh, OK. Your postings sounded like you were still hunting for tools so that's why I made the suggestion. Hopefully it won't take too many weeks to resolve.

1 hour ago, Sven said:

I'm considering doing the same thing. So many delays getting parts and then the parts aren't right when I get them. My Monster's been out of commission for 2 months. That's 2 (so far ?) of maybe 6 that are hospitable for wheeling in Wisconsin. 

It's still kind of nice to have the right tools to do some basic repairs rather than send things back for warranty.   It's too bad that the design is so difficult to work around.  I wonder what Gotway uses at the factory to secure these bolts and whether they use a torque wrench for quality control purposes.  Ah okay I just re-read that last sentence and :lol: ya I know - likely not.

34 minutes ago, Demian B said:

I'm considering doing the same thing. So many delays getting parts and then the parts aren't right when I get them. My Monster's been out of commission for 2 months. That's 2 (so far ?) of maybe 6 that are hospitable for wheeling in Wisconsin. 

So what's been happening with your Monster? I don't recall any follow-up in awhile. Did you determine that your axle nuts were loose? Are you waiting for parts?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, OK. Your postings sounded like you were still hunting for tools so that's why I made the suggestion. Hopefully it won't take too many weeks to resolve.

He found a repair guy down in San Diego and sent me a FedEx label already.  So I'm going to ship it down there when i get a chance to pack it up. 

8 minutes ago, Sven said:

He found a repair guy down in San Diego and sent me a FedEx label already.  So I'm going to ship it down there when i get a chance to pack it up. 

I wonder if that's Joey Serrin

Archived