Saturday Morning Griffith Park Ride - 29Jul2017

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

I just got to the bottom of this shitty problem. One side of my pedal bracket was swinging back n forth by like 2-3 inches. Not good!

Trying to think of something that'll fix this for good. 

IMG_0044.JPG

Both sides of my monster's swinging back and forth. It almost seems i can pedal them... 

I'm thinking 1) ask jason to have the factory supply him this shim on his next shipment (but then it will go bad again sooner or later) 2) take the sample to the metalwork shop and duplicate it with stronger material. 3) buy a new wheel!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Sven said:

It's not the accessibility I was talking about. I can get to the motor with my eyes closed now LOL

The issue is to tighten the shaft nuts to the pedal and when you look at the mainboard side nut (when you get a chance to open yours) it's sitting inside of pedal bracket that you can hardly wrench it nor use any regular 1" sockets because of the motor cables. Last time i did this, took me 1 hour unscrew the nut and severely damaged the nut where you can't use wrench anymore. 

The Monster must be a lot different than the ACM. There was enough of the nut protruding above the bracket for my wrench to grab it.

If you use the proper wrench size there should be no rounding of the nut. For instance, a 1" wrench is not the same as a 25mm wrench (it's bigger). You want to use a wrench that fits the nut perfectly. Gotway uses metric nuts, so if you use a 1" wrench it will be slightly bigger than the nut and you will probably destroy the nut as you describe.

Only use metric tools with Chinese wheels.

53 minutes ago, Sven said:

Both sides of my monster's swinging back and forth. It almost seems i can pedal them... 

I'm thinking 1) ask jason to have the factory supply him this shim on his next shipment (but then it will go bad again sooner or later) 2) take the sample to the metalwork shop and duplicate it with stronger material. 3) buy a new wheel!

I'm not convinced it will go bad again. Maybe the nuts just weren't tight enough from the factory (that whole Gotway QC thing). I think Gotway uses the same mechanism on all of their wheels and most don't seem to fail prematurely like yours.

There might be a good reason that the shims are made from a weaker metal than the axle. I think the nut compresses the shims against the nut to an extent that they slightly deform around the axle and therefore hold tighter. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;)

Are your shims even bad (do they look like Ando's above)? Maybe you could fix them like I suggested to Ando and buy new nuts locally. These are suggestions to get you riding rather than wait months to get the parts. And you probably could get a machine shop to fabricate new ones - again, if you want to be riding sooner rather than later. Or order new shims and nuts and wait. Or buy a new wheel :D

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not convinced it will go bad again. Maybe the nuts just weren't tight enough from the factory (that whole Gotway QC thing). I think Gotway uses the same mechanism on all of their wheels and most don't seem to fail prematurely like yours.

There might be a good reason that the shims are made from a weaker metal than the axle. I think the nut compresses the shims against the nut to an extent that they slightly deform around the axle and therefore hold tighter. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it ;)

Are your shims even bad (do they look like Ando's above)? Maybe you could fix them like I suggested to Ando and buy new nuts locally. These are suggestions to get you riding rather than wait months to get the parts. And you probably could get a machine shop to fabricate new ones - again, if you want to be riding sooner rather than later. Or order new shims and nuts and wait. Or buy a new wheel :D

I'm going thru withdrawal, my feet are shaking. At the same time, i have maybe 1 or 2 more chances allowed by my monster before it decides to give up (body screws and stuff you know) 

Very good recommendations Marty. Thank you for taking your time on this ;) You da best. 

33 minutes ago, Sven said:

Here's mine.

I'm leaving my monster opened until i fix the issue this time. :)

IMG_5376.JPG

They don't look too bad, from the picture. They're kind of rough to begin with. I think what's important is that the part that sits tight against the axle must be flat. If yours aren't maybe use a file to flatten those two surfaces.

14 hours ago, Sven said:

Get a KS18S

Well boys i spent the last 3 hours fixing the pedal issue, got it all nice n tight. Soldered one of the 3 motor connections because the bullet connector was messed up. Fired the baby up and blew the board. 

WHY?? you might ask... because stupid stupid me. Didn't pay enough attention and connected the other 2 motor wires WRONG :facepalm:

The thermal sleeve things were up to the necks of the connections and i didn't see the damn colors. Anyways i think i need a new board now. 

IMG_0053.JPG

19 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

ell boys i spent the last 3 hours fixing the pedal issue, got it all nice n tight. Soldered one of the 3 motor connections because the bullet connector was messed up. Fired the baby up and blew the board. 

WHY?? you might ask... because stupid stupid me. Didn't pay enough attention and connected the other 2 motor wires WRONG :o:facepalm:

The thermal sleeve things were up to the necks of the connections and i didn't see the damn colors. Anyways i think i need a new board now. 

IMG_0053.JPG

Man that sucks!:o That means that half of the *M.E.R.T. unit will not be available for Saturday's outing,unless you have a backup wheel.                                                    M.E.R.T.= Martybrokebacke Emergency Rescue Team

30 minutes ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Well boys i spent the last 3 hours fixing the pedal issue, got it all nice n tight. Soldered one of the 3 motor connections because the bullet connector was messed up. Fired the baby up and blew the board. 

WHY?? you might ask... because stupid stupid me. Didn't pay enough attention and connected the other 2 motor wires WRONG :facepalm:

IMG_0053.JPG

Wow, that sucks. I know that Jason has a bunch of ACM boards available so you won't be down too much longer. But that was a ~$150 mistake - ouch :(

5 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Man that sucks!:o That means that half of the *M.E.R.T. unit will not be available for Saturday's outing,unless you have a backup wheel.                                                    M.E.R.T.= Martybrokebacke Emergency Rescue Team

Are you going? Because I cancelled it since nobody replied to the announcement. If you're going, great. We can still meet at 8.

1 hour ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Oh man that sucks.  I wonder if you replaced the MOSFET(s) whether it might work again.  Some people have been lucky in replacing them to get their board working, but sometimes other components blow.

Kinda too late, but if you have a label printer you can print out cable labels to wrap wires so you can match things up easily.  With these high voltage wheels it's so easy to fry something accidentally.

Hi Marty and all, I know you cancelled the event, but I will still be there at 8 am. My name is Yasin, and I live in Irvine so I'll be driving up in the morning. Ill be riding my Msuper V3s. I'll see anyone there who shows up.

~Yasin

11 hours ago, jrkline said:

LMAO

On July 25, 2017 at 5:16 PM, steve454 said:

I had that idea, too.  But to find a drone pilot that could do it without stopping down the ride would be difficult.

My drone has a GPS follow function that follows the controller at a certain height. We can set up 2 or three drones for the beginning middle and end. It wouldve helped me find you guys today. I saw lots of single tracks, but no EUC sightings. Wah, wah, wah...  Oh and the drones usually have replaceable batteries. Packing them away or transporting them is a bit bulky still.

I am going on a Dodger Stadium to Arroyo Seco Rose Bowl ride later today too. If it works out well, Id like to schedule a ride for next week if anyone is interested. More details to come later tonight or tomorrow. 

From left to right: @YoshiSkySun, @Alsayyad, myself, and @jrkline had a great time riding the upper trails of Griffith Park. Probably a ~20 mile ride today

IMG_20170729_102211662-Edit

We also visited the Hollywood Sign

IMG_20170729_113551058-Edit

1 hour ago, JrKline "Wheel Whisperer said:

Sorry u missed the ride.But riding the Monster while seated really does let one scream up them hills full bore! Now I know why u do it all the time!:cheers:

Welcome to the club ;) practice the "super old fashioned" standup riding from time to time or you will forget how lol

23 minutes ago, Mushuukyou said:

Ok, I never got notified for this. I thought I was going to get an email. This kind of pissed me off. Could someone email me?

It's not practical for me to e-mail everyone. Announcements are made in this section of the forum. All I can suggest is to periodically check the Local Groups for postings. Sorry that you missed the ride.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you write a PM on the forum, all recipients should get an email about it. So just after the post with the mentions, you could copy all them into a PM for a quick email message.

I used to do that. Unfortunately the Forum limits you to a handful of recipients. Since there are now over 20 local riders I would have to send out multiple messages. Each message then becomes different because I have to have a different list of recipients. You have to wait between each message too.

I just got tired of doing all that, and it eats into my mail limit too.

If people are interested in group rides then I figure they can put the effort into following the Forum a little bit closer.

Archived