Full Face Helmet Showdown - Bell Super 3R vs Giro Switchblade - Impressions and Opinion

9 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Yes, correct, the image comments look good.

Fixed and tested. Also resolved some formatting problems with the images and text. Thanks for letting me know of this problem. I'll remember it for the future.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I forgot to say, if there are questions not answered in the thread or a desire to see a picture of something specific then please ask. I'll likely have the Bell here until Friday. The Switchblade will be here permanently of course.

@noisycarlos rides with me periodically and he has the Bell helmet. I'll probably talk to him to get his take on your Cons. I can say he's pretty good at taking off / putting on the chin guard, so that must be something you get used to.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel like I'm going to get one of these helmets. Too bad there isn't a good place to put my Gotway logo :(

We'll find you a spot for the GW logo.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@noisycarlos rides with me periodically and he has the Bell helmet. I'll probably talk to him to get his take on your Cons. I can say he's pretty good at taking off / putting on the chin guard, so that must be something you get used to.

I've no doubt it can become second nature. The guy on the Bell site says he can do it in 2.5 seconds! Because the act of refitting the 3R chin bar requires protrusions on the bar to slide into vent slots on the helmet there is quite a bit of plastic on plastic scraping about going on as you fumble to align everything. As there was a good chance I'd be returning it I didn't want to risk scratching the shell just to see if I could perfect the reattachment process. I think being a little more forceful could help, especially with the rear vents. It still seems a little unwieldly though, not that I could think of a better solution given how much of the helmet detaches.

2 hours ago, OneWheeler said:

German TÜV tested

• Alpina King Carapax
  • Bell Super 2R Joyride
  • Cratoni C-Maniac
  • MET Parachute
  • Urge Archi Enduro Veggie
  • Uvex Jakkyl hde

Article from February: Helmet test

Sorry that it's in German.

Doesn't matter that it's in German, google translate works well.  Nice reviews, the Jakkyl hde looks like the winner.

40 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Doesn't matter that it's in German, google translate works well.  Nice reviews, the Jakkyl hde looks like the winner.

Nice to see my MET Parachute did fairly well too :)

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I own the Jakkyl HDE and it's very comfortable. I found that the Bell was too tight on my cheeks but I have a large face...

thanks for taking the time to do this @WARPed1701D!  By the way I have recently acquired a Blinder Road 400 and mounted it on my helmet for riding at night. It's perfect for our horrible roads here in Montreal. I can average 20kmh with it which is not bad at all for night riding without bulky lights. 

https://www.knog.com.au/blinder-road-400.html

15 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Good feedback and you are right I drafted the text in Word and pasted into the forum as I didn't want to loose it though browser refreshes etc. I'll go back and edit the font color to auto. I'm guessing you are only seeing this in the main text, not the image comments that I added directly in the browser later on?

P.S. After the eventual face plant that has you considering a full face helmet I very much hope you are still capable of "singing" that different tune! ;)

I usually use Notepad for such things, as it saves without formatting easily.  It's tougher for complex posts, but sometimes worth it even there.

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Don't bother.  We all know it's going to come down to a Mike Tyson-like facial tattoo eventually anyway.

You're probably right. Given that  @Marty Backe has had some bad luck with Gotway just imagine GW being bought out by Solowheel and he's stuck with the tattoo . Suppose  he could explain that the 'GW' stands for 'Good Wheel'. 

5 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I usually use Notepad for such things, as it saves without formatting easily.  It's tougher for complex posts, but sometimes worth it even there.

I was provided the option to clear formatting when I pasted in the forum window, but just thought it meant the bold text in the headers. Text color was not an obvious trait it transferred. In future I'll clear formatting and redo bold and italics etc

On 7/26/2017 at 4:50 PM, WARPed1701D said:

Good feedback and you are right I drafted the text in Word and pasted into the forum as I didn't want to loose it though browser refreshes etc. I'll go back and edit the font color to auto. I'm guessing you are only seeing this in the main text, not the image comments that I added directly in the browser later on?

When I write really long posts (like that kind that take hours to write & edit, or are worked on over several days), I use Notepad2 or if I'm on Linux, whatever the default basic text-editor (without control for fonts/formatting) comes with whatever distro I'm using at the time, and then copy-paste it over to the forum edit-box. That way it's copied as plain text, without any font- or other information. You can also use short-hand markup for formatting in the plain text:  http://windowssecrets.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode  Most of those work, like your basic bold/italics/underline/quote/code-block but not all.  

The markup is written inside square brackets, like  [ b ] your bolded text [ /b ] , of course without spaces between the brackets and the code-letter/phrase. Below are a few examples, first showing how it looks and then after that the code (with space between the brackets, so the forum doesn't go formatting them) used to make it:

bold  [ b ]bold[ /b ]

italics and underlined  [ i ]italics and [ u ]underlined[ /u ][ /i ]

quote box

[ quote ]quote box[ /quote ]

code box

[ code ]code box[ /code ]

For images, I use imgur, it's enough to put/paste the direct http -link to the picture onto its own row, and the image will embed automatically.

2 hours ago, Gus said:

That removable chin guard can fail though.
Here's a real-life example:

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/giro-switchblade-failure-1041207.html

I think I might go for the MET Parachute.

Indeed. Any connection point is a weak point vs a solid single piece design and this a compromise that should be accepted in the purchasing decision.

I just read through the forum post you linked to and it was generally agreed that while the chin bar detached and the guy got some road rash to the chin he would likely be eating through a straw if he hadn't had it (a case evidenced by some poor rider towards the end). It is hard to pass judgement as very few details are given about the dynamics of the crash. Perhaps a one piece design would also have failed in those circumstances. Or perhaps the one piece would have remained intact but the guy would now be nursing a neck injury from the resultant forces of a helmet that didn't fail thus tugging his head around at high speed upon impact. These helmets do protect through self-destruction and perhaps it was actually to his advantage here.

The downhill certification does not mean a helmet must have a chin bar. In fact I understand that none of the chin bar area is actually tested, but if a removable chin bar is present then the helmet tests must pass the test with and without the bar (in short the bar cannot compromise the protection provided by the helmet itself (which is what is tested).

I don't know the Bell options for an permanent chin bar helmet but Giro has the Disciple. As you already concluded the MET Parachute is also an option that I can't comment on.

I'm happy with my Switchblade decision so far. I have the option to run without the bar if I want to for slower conditions or non-EUC uses, but I can attach it if I want. It may detach in a major accident but I've no doubt that in doing so it will have absorbed and dissipated a huge amount of energy in doing so. I still believe, having carefully studied both, that the Switchblade (or more importantly, your head in the Switchblade) will fair considerably better than the Super 3R in a serious incident.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Price drop to $160 on the Bell 3R

That is a great deal for anyone interested in the 3R. Not all are priced this way but as long as you are flexible about the color it seems you can get a good price on any size. :thumbup:

For what it is worth, even at this price for the 3R I would still have brought the Switchblade (at full price). Full follow up in a few weeks once I've had a bit more time with it but VERY happy so far with the choice.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:46 AM, WARPed1701D said:

The downhill certification does not mean a helmet must have a chin bar. In fact I understand that none of the chin bar area is actually tested, but if a removable chin bar is present then the helmet tests must pass the test with and without the bar (in short the bar cannot compromise the protection provided by the helmet itself (which is what is tested).

I think they are both inappropriate for EUC riding because they don't care much about impacts to the front. For that, you have to step up to Snell certification which does measure impacts to the front. That means a big EPS lined chinbar. Basically a full face motorcycle helmet, which can be had for around $100.

For those who have had cut outs, I would wonder if there's enough time to turn one's head.

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I think they are both inappropriate for EUC riding because they don't care much about impacts to the front. For that, you have to step up to Snell certification which does measure impacts to the front. That means a big EPS lined chinbar. Basically a full face motorcycle helmet, which can be had for around $100.

For those who have had cut outs, I would wonder if there's enough time to turn one's head.

You are right that a motorcycle helmet is the best way to go. I even mention that in my conclusion for hardcore speed demons. However, from spending quite a bit of time with both these helmets I do believe, and this is just my opinion, that both the 3R and the Switchblade will absorb a significant amount of impact energy in a frontal collision and this is a good thing. It might not be 100% no-injury protection (what is?), but I think you would prevent most if not all significant injury at moderate speeds with one of these. It is certainly better and an open faced helmet.

Good protective gear is a balance of comfort and safety, I know from experience that I could not ride an EUC in Florida with a full face motorcycle helmet on. I had a hard time doing that in a British summer with a 70mph breeze blowing through the vents! Good quality bicycle helmets with extended coverage offer, I feel, acceptable levels of protection for moderate speed impacts with good weight and ventialtion to boot.

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

MET Parachute is the only bicycle helmet I know of that does test their chin-guard full frontal,

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Basically a full face motorcycle helmet, which can be had for around $100.

But who will wear this. Law in Belgium is completely ridiculous about this. You ride a moped that has a 25km/h max speed, motorcycle helmet is mandatory. You ride a bicycle and go 50 km/h downhill, nothing is mandatory.

I don't see myself riding my euc with a motorcycle helmet. Bike helmet, yes. If you plan on off-roading at high speeds, now that's a different story, but for normal traffic on paved roads??

Look at what your average mountain biker is wearing. You don't see any of those wearing a motorcycle helmet. I think the helmets proposed here is as far as I would go, for downhill unpaved terrain. Not for city riding at normal speeds.

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

But who will wear this. Law in Belgium is completely ridiculous about this. You ride a moped that has a 25km/h max speed, motorcycle helmet is mandatory. You ride a bicycle and go 50 km/h downhill, nothing is mandatory.

I don't see myself riding my euc with a motorcycle helmet. Bike helmet, yes. If you plan on off-roading at high speeds, now that's a different story, but for normal traffic on paved roads??

Look at what your average mountain biker is wearing. You don't see any of those wearing a motorcycle helmet. I think the helmets proposed here is as far as I would go, for downhill unpaved terrain. Not for city riding at normal speeds.

I guess bicycle and Electric unicycle crashes can not be compared in the "Kind of Crash" that  happens on them...

Mostly when faults appear on a bicycle, with two wheels the Kind of fall is totally different to what happens when a EUC has a cut-out/fault. An EUC just snaps over and if this happens without any warning it is nearly impossible to run this out, or just get your arms up to protect your face...so i totaly understand everyone who is wearing a full face helmet like downhill or motorcycle helmet....

This faceplant on a -normal- unicycle Shows the "snap"-effect the best: (Attention....hard to watch)

Here in a race...even as he was full concentrated and Kind of prepared for a fall, no Chance to run out on a lame Ninebot, guess how it looks when a cutout hits you unprepared at high speed:

I am myself not wearing a full face helmet...as i hate to dress up like a Motor bike rider...

i myself am just wearing a skate helmet, knee and wrist protections.....and try to stay away from crazy accelerations, Ultra steep hills etc.

But like said...i understand everbody who wants to be protected as good as possible

22 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I guess bicycle and Electric unicycle crashes can not be compared in the "Kind of Crash" that  happens on them...

Mostly when faults appear on a bicycle, with two wheels the Kind of fall is totally different to what happens when a EUC has a cut-out/fault. An EUC just snaps over and if this happens without any warning it is nearly impossible to run this out, or just get your arms up to protect your face...so i totaly understand everyone who is wearing a full face helmet like downhill or motorcycle helmet....

High speed EUC falls require gear to prevent serious injury.  20 MPH is more than enough to alter your life forever.

Watch this crash:

Archived