9bot1 E+ Wheel making horrible sound

9Bot1

Any ideas what that could be?

everything was fine while riding then it got a little wobbly and I heard something grinding so I stopped got off and moved it front and back it was fine. Got on then a few seconds later heard the grinding (like the wheel was rubbing on something). I got off and then this is what happens now.

IMG_4566.mp4

I got a piece of gravel stuck in my NB1 once but it didn't sound anything like that.  If you shake the machine, do you hear something rattling around inside?   Someone here will probably help you figure it out.  A smart bunch, these guys.  Good luck!

everything was fine while riding then it got a little wobbly and I heard something grinding so I stopped got off and moved it front and back it was fine. Got on then a few seconds later heard the grinding (like the wheel was rubbing on something). I got off and then this is what happens now.

IMG_4566.mp4

Wow!  That sounds terrible.  Let us know when you find out what's causing it.

Is it still under warranty?

Does it do it with power on only or off as well? When its on only its probably something with the engine, when off, i guess something is stuck between moving parts.

Are you in contact with your vendor?

I got a piece of gravel stuck in my NB1 once but it didn't sound anything like that.  If you shake the machine, do you hear something rattling around inside?   Someone here will probably help you figure it out.  A smart bunch, these guys.  Good luck!

Wow!  That sounds terrible.  Let us know when you find out what's causing it.

Is it still under warranty?

Does it do it with power on only or off as well? When its on only its probably something with the engine, when off, i guess something is stuck between moving parts.

Are you in contact with your vendor?

I think it was from an overinflated tire?! I had it at 50 psi then took air out and the problem was gone. But now when I ride the ninebot it feels like the tire is flat. What tire pressure do you guys usually ride at?

I am not sure that is overinflated tire. I always cruise at 50 psi (i am 100kg) and  i never hear this horrible sound.

Is possible that the problem is the hub motor. I had  one year ago ,the same sound with an electric bike. 

I just encountered the same thing this weekend. I event took apart the whole 9Bot to examine and when I couldn't find anything after putting the 9bot back together i just lowered my psi from 50 to 45 and it went away.  Weird because I normally rode at 50 prior to the noise starting.

Hi, you should consider the valve. As we move it (I would better say torture it) to control pressure and inflate the tire, it can move a little while using the wheel. It is a matter of millimeters. We should push firmly the valve against the hub after having manipulated it.

IMG_4566.mp4

I over inflated my tire once and caused it to rub. Didn't make noise anywhere near like yours but maybe experiment w a lower tire pressure

I over inflated my tire once and caused it to rub. Didn't make noise anywhere near like yours but maybe experiment w a lower tire pressure

I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problem.  My 9B1 recently started making a sound like "ssskk, ssskk, ssskk".  It really had me worried because I thought it was metal on metal. I was only at about 42 psi.  I lowered the tire pressure and the sound went away.  There must not be much extra room for the tire.   Maybe some day (like if I have to replace a tube) I will open it up and see what it is rubbing on.  Because someday I will want to increase my tire pressure.

I'm posting this in case anyone else has the same problem.  My 9B1 recently started making a sound like "ssskk, ssskk, ssskk".  It really had me worried because I thought it was metal on metal. I was only at about 42 psi.  I lowered the tire pressure and the sound went away.  There must not be much extra room for the tire.   Maybe some day (like if I have to replace a tube) I will open it up and see what it is rubbing on.  Because someday I will want to increase my tire pressure.

I did a tear down to see what it is rubbing on and found it was the the top of the 9bot, the top black metal part that the power button  and handle mount to.  The bottom side of it that is facing the tire had its a paint rubbed off right down the center.

+

+

+

+

+

I did a tear down to see what it is rubbing on and found it was the the top of the 9bot, the top black metal part that the power button  and handle mount to.  The bottom side of it that is facing the tire had its a paint rubbed off right down the center.

What size is the Ninebot tire, is is some standard size? At least Firewheel has 16" x 2.125" (ISO 57-305), and while not that common, can be found from bikeshops. If the Ninebot has some standard size, I'd expect you can find those in bike shops or online, and could look for a smaller profile.

I just encountered the same thing this weekend. I event took apart the whole 9Bot to examine and when I couldn't find anything after putting the 9bot back together i just lowered my psi from 50 to 45 and it went away.  Weird because I normally rode at 50 prior to the noise starting.

Ya, I rode mine at 50 psi with no issues, then out  of nowhere I started to hear and feel the rubbing.

¿ May be the tire touch any internal thing while rotating  at that pressure ?

¿Which tire do you have?

¿Any long screw on the central chassis?

No long screw on the chassis

Hi, you should consider the valve. As we move it (I would better say torture it) to control pressure and inflate the tire, it can move a little while using the wheel. It is a matter of millimeters. We should push firmly the valve against the hub after having manipulated it.

The valve stem does need to be pushed back after filling up the tire. My actual tire was rubbing though because it was almost impossible to move the tire by hand with the 9bot1 off.

What size is the Ninebot tire, is is some standard size? At least Firewheel has 16" x 2.125" (ISO 57-305), and while not that common, can be found from bikeshops. If the Ninebot has some standard size, I'd expect you can find those in bike shops or online, and could look for a smaller profile.

Cheng Shin CST e-bike pro 16 x 2.125 tire (40-50 psi) (ISO 57-305) That's what came with it new. What tires do you guys have?

Have the same tyre. Ninebot One E+ with the extender in the box.

I inflated it twice, always up to 50 psi and had no scraping noises at all. However, have the feeling that the tyre slides a bit riding over very smooth surfaces, like marbles.

My E+ came with KENDA brand 16 X 2.125 tire (40 - 65 psi).  

I inflated to about 48psi and have not checked it in a month.  Currently I have 187 miles on the odometer and no scraping at all. 

From reading this forum I'm hearing only CST tires being complained about so far.  

PS. The CST did come with my Airwheel X8.  Same tire you all are describing. 

My E+ came with KENDA brand 16 X 2.125 tire (40 - 65 psi).  

I inflated to about 48psi and have not checked it in a month.  Currently I have 187 miles on the odometer and no scraping at all. 

From reading this forum I'm hearing only CST tires being complained about so far.  

PS. The CST did come with my Airwheel X8.  Same tire you all are describing. 

I tend to agree.  I have a CST tire and mine was rubbing at about 42 psi.  Mine also didn't do it initially making me think something caused the tire to get a little out of round.  Maybe from deflating & re-inflating it.

did some riding on mixed terrain yesterday and made a short movie called "Noises of Ninebot" - some gravel & sticks fighting inside the chassis for attention.

your 9b1 sound seems a bit more metallic, sounds different to the big bastard stone i got at appx 1:25

beside the noise and really deep gravel there where no troubles at all, did appx 100 hightmeters and 8 km in total on pavement/gravel/dirt/grass ... working on the whole timelapse atm

location is in the western hilly part of Vienna, Austria. (Steinhofgründe)

sry for the shacky front camera, had to hold it in my hand while driving, rear cam is mounted like described in the 3D thread here.

I think it happens when the tire expands from heat? It happened again today. I had the tires filled to 45 psi and it was working fine for a few days. Then today, I went on a long 8 mile trip and about 5 miles in the tire started rubbing. I deflated it a little (maybe 4-6 psi) and it was fine, came home and checked the tire pressure and it was at 33 psi. I filled it to 41 PSI now and left it.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the rubbing noise could be a slight misalignment due to crash or one foot riding.  Anyway have a look at this tear down and fix video by Speedyfeet.  I bought my Ninebot from

these guys, service is great and they know these devices upside down and inside out:

HTH's

BTW - I run at 55psi (Kenda tyre) since new with no issues.  

I get rubbing noise when i try to ride with one foot, is this normal?

If it is your right foot then, sadly, yes.

@Gimlet mentioned this rubbing if using the right foot but not the left in another post.  I confirmed rubbing on my E+ trying to use the right foot.  I am not capable of attempting this left-footed. 

@Bwuce Wee I wonder if you would try right-footed with the E+ facing backwards?   I would enjoy hearing of your results.   Also, I would be interested to know if the rubbing prevents you from actually riding, or if it is merely something you noticed?  Can you still ride even with the rubbing?

Archived