RichieV

Washington, DC

1 hour ago, kour said:

aaah - well, sunday would work for me, as well :)

I can be in for Sunday too........................

I have family obligations on Sunday so I won't be able to make it.

I might be able to do Sunday, but I would be starting from the northern end of the trail.  Could meet people starting from the other end and ride with them on the way back.  Anybody want to speculate on whether my Inmotion V8 would make it down and back without running out of juice?  

15 hours ago, radial said:

I might be able to do Sunday, but I would be starting from the northern end of the trail.  Could meet people starting from the other end and ride with them on the way back.  Anybody want to speculate on whether my Inmotion V8 would make it down and back without running out of juice?  

i'd do that. aaand now i see the beginning of the trail (on my end) is at the end of water street so duuuh...

as for the v8 range, not sure - i guess the trail is paved and flat so that'll work in your favor. you'd be doing about 12miles (?) so if you're not pushing it to its max speed the whole time my guess is you should be goooood

16 hours ago, radial said:

Throw your charger in your backpack and grab a coffee at the other end. A quick 20-30 minute boost of charge should see you home with room to spare.

16 hours ago, radial said:

oh wait, I completely misunderstood your description - sorry! yeah, so you'd be doing more like ~23 miles? yeah, then go with @WARPed1701D's advice :)

15 minutes ago, kour said:

oh wait, I completely misunderstood your description - sorry! yeah, so you'd be doing more like ~23 miles? yeah, then go with @WARPed1701D's advice :)

This is why I picked up a fast charger with my V8. 99% of the time the battery range will be plenty for me but for that other 1% the fast charger will (I believe) throw 60% charge into the battery in 30 minutes while I take a break.

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Throw your charger in your backpack and grab a coffee at the other end. A quick 20-30 minute boost of charge should see you home with room to spare.

I would try to do that if I was riding by myself.  Not sure how well that would work if I was trying to keep up with a group ride.  And not so sure I could easily find an unclaimed electrical outlet in DC.  Everybody here has their precious electronics :P

On 7/26/2017 at 10:48 PM, Acturbo said:

I will join you guys but I'm gonna need really good directions.  A recommendation for a place to park would also be helpful as I'll be coming from 20-30 minutes away and am not familiar with that area.

Georgetown University Southwest Garage
3611 Canal Rd NW, Washington, DC 20057
[note: this garage is cash only]

Or alternatively, you can park in the vicinity of the National Mall and I can meet you by the Lincoln Memorial and then we'd ride from there to Georgetown.

22 minutes ago, radial said:

I would try to do that if I was riding by myself.  Not sure how well that would work if I was trying to keep up with a group ride.  And not so sure I could easily find an unclaimed electrical outlet in DC.  Everybody here has their precious electronics :P

I know a place in Georgetown with LOTS of electrical outlets. The place is always empty of people (slow business, in low traffic area), but always open. Lots of empty chairs by windows. You are guaranteed to be able to recharge, no problem. I visit the place to use their restrooms all the time!

It is actually a building with multiple stores (Starbucks, a bookstore, etc., etc).

3800 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20057

1 hour ago, edwin_rm said:

Or alternatively, you can park in the vicinity of the National Mall and I can meet you by the Lincoln Memorial and then we'd ride from there to Georgetown.

I know a place in Georgetown with LOTS of electrical outlets. The place is always empty of people (slow business, in low traffic area), but always open. Lots of empty chairs by windows. You are guaranteed to be able to recharge, no problem. I visit the place to use their restrooms all the time!

It is actually a building with multiple stores (Starbucks, a bookstore, etc., etc).

Thanks, but that looks a little off the beaten track, up in the guts of Georgetown University. Surely there's something closer to the terminus of the trail down on the waterfront with outlets?  I only need one.  :)

2 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

Edwin,

Either or works for me.  Which do you think is more convenient for my travels?  Also if it costs money to park I'd rather not pay a fortune.

Thanks

I'm game for a Sunday ride, if we need to reschedule!

12 hours ago, radial said:

Thanks, but that looks a little off the beaten track, up in the guts of Georgetown University. Surely there's something closer to the terminus of the trail down on the waterfront with outlets?  I only need one.  :)

It's actually pretty close by riding thru pedestrian shortcuts. 5-10 minutes tops.

10 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Edwin,

Either or works for me.  Which do you think is more convenient for my travels?  Also if it costs money to park I'd rather not pay a fortune.

Thanks

I have never parked at that specific garage, but it is the closest and most accessible for the trail. That garage costs about $20. I arrive from much further away, but I have a big battery. Whats you battery size? I can recommend a different parking spot depending on that.

8 hours ago, LorenW said:

I'm game for a Sunday ride, if we need to reschedule!

Yep, it is all rain forecasted for today in the afternoon. Tomorrow the 30th is the only real option this weekend.

On 07/26/2017 at 0:16 PM, kour said:

11-noon? also, whereabouts in gtown? near key bridge?

Would 12 noon work for everyone that is starting in DC?

Then we'd give an estimate arrival time to Silver Spring to @radial

2 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

It's actually pretty close by riding thru pedestrian shortcuts. 5-10 minutes tops.

I have never parked at that specific garage, but it is the closest and most accessible for the trail. That garage costs about $20. I arrive from much further away, but I have a big battery. Whats you battery size? I can recommend a different parking spot depending on that.

Yep, it is all rain forecasted for today in the afternoon. Tomorrow the 30th is the only real option this weekend.

Would 12 noon work for everyone that is starting in DC?

Then we'd give an estimate arrival time to Silver Spring to @radial

I have a Gotway MCM4 680Wh.  Battery lasts a decent amount but I'm over 200 pounds and also like riding fast so it tends to last not as long as it should.  Either way I could cut down the speed and try to get some more life out of it.  I can deal with $20 if necessary, just don't wanna be paying $20 per hour or something dumb like that.

Thank Edwin

Noon works. If someone would post up the exact meeting spot it would be helpful.

6 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Noon works. If someone would post up the exact meeting spot it would be helpful.

Okay, for those joining from DC side, lets meet by Fiola Mare, outside, next to the grass , at about noon.

[ 3050 K St NW, Washington, DC 20007 ]

I'll try to make it as well, now that it looks like the weather might clear.

I've been down most of this trail, it's a mix of terrains and the path is paved up to Bethesda. It's bright and open near the start at Georgetown near the C&O Canal and then transitions to a full canopy of shady trees near the reservoir and quite a bit of the way to Bethesda. There's a nice tunnel that takes you under part of Bethesda. Not long after that the actual trail gets kind of dicey, it's mostly gravel and dirt and dumps you onto a street behind an auto shop so you have to weave through suburban neighborhoods to get to downtown Silver Spring. If you're doing a round-trip it's probably best to stop at Bethesda, especially since it's been raining a lot and the dirt trail will most likely be rutted and/or washed out beyond that.

As an alternative route past Bethesda you can take a pretty decent sidewalk and paved bike path that parallels East-West Highway to continue into Silver Spring. Near the end there are several steep hills on East-West Highway (and it's actually pretty steep on the unpaved CC Trail too) so if you don't have a lot of battery I'd advise stopping in Bethesda.

Here's a possibility if you don't want to make the full round trip or don't have the battery: Montgomery County public parking garages are free on the weekend and several are near Red Line Metro stops. So, at no cost you could park at a lot in Bethesda or park at a lot in Silver Spring, take the Red Line to Farragut North, then ride your wheel the short distance to the waterfront in Georgetown. I usually park in Silver Spring in either the Cameron or Bonifant garages. In both cases there is a pretty steep downhill to get to the Metro station so if you have a completely full charge you may get tilt-back from overcharging. I've also parked at Lot 555 in Bethesda (see the map) which is really close to the Metro stop and not as much of an up/down.

That'd would be great if you can make it, @dmethvin

I'm taking metro to rosslyn then going across bridge - I should be at start of trail around noon

I'll be at Fiola Mare shortly... Running 10min behind

Edited by LorenW

Kour and I are on the trail... Didn't see anyone... Did the group leave already?

3 minutes ago, LorenW said:

Kour and I are on the trail... Didn't see anyone... Did the group leave already?

At Fiona Mare, on our way to trail head.

Cool! We'll wait for you guys... We are a little bit up the trail

We are 4.6 mi from the trailhead waiting at a little rest area