Washington, DC

RichieV

18 hours ago, Tabitha Eddy said:

I’m visiting DC this weekend of March 23, and I’m thinking of riding by the Cherry Blossom Festival Saturday morning. I’m wondering if there are any areas of Dc to avoid on the euc?

Thanks in advance. 

-Tabs 

No areas of DC need to be avoided.The Tidal Basin area is actually a great place to ride. If the weather is nice the Crowds will be immense and you will likely need to dismount from time to time in the interest of safety.

The bike lanes in DC are plentiful. Attitudes regarding pedestrians and alternative transport modalities are very progressive in DC compared to other cities in which I have driven, walked, or ridden. So, drivers are not trying to compete with you for bike lanes.

Please do not misunderstand. DC is a very dense, crowded city; not a great place for the claustrophobic. So, riding a wheel is wrought with hazards, but progressive attitudes, strong health enthusiast, and plentiful EUC lanes 😇 make it a great place to ride.

The incredible network of bike trails make it possible to almost never need to touch the street. You can literally travel any and everywhere around the DC Metropolitan Area (DMV) by paved trail; it's my preferred way to travel around the DMV. 

Also, DC is thick with wheel and other PEV riders so don't be surprised if you bump into another EUC. You might bump into me, but I won't be on my wheel this weekend. Wifey is forcing me walk the festival with her. She's cool company so it ain't that bad. 

You can find the DC Glydiators' on FB at the following link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423932484415915/?ref=share

Also, check out DC Glydiators on Meetup 

http://meetu.ps/c/4ckYm/DMZ1W/d 

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings PEV community

I have have a very important update for everyone interested in the DC Bike event.

Volunteer Rules

1. There is a volunteer cap number for each role. DC Bike currently has need for 40 total stationary course marshals. They also need help at the VA side rest Stop which is located on the HOV Lane of 395. Volunteers for the VA Rest Stop would check in at the start, ride the course out to VA, work the rest stop and then could ride back in on the course following the last rider. Please register today to ensure that we all get spots. It doesn't seem to really matter matter much which station the course is designed such that we can all deadhead pretty quickly back to the start of the course at the end of the bike race. There is a course map diagram and event schedule on the website. The link is provided below.

2. Each volunteer will need to register individually on the website; the volunteer registration link is provided below so that DC Bike can capture their information and so they can sign the volunteer waiver. When you register you will see a selection to join a team on the digital form. Please select "Glydiators" by typing the word into the field provided on the form for the selection. Please also RSVP on the Glydiators' Meetup sight so that we can capture participation numbers, and who will be volunteering and riding in the PEV course run.

3. In order to participate in the PEV run you must have served as volunteers during the DC Bike race event. You must also have worked your assigned shift in its entirety. No crashing is allowed. So, please sign up to volunteer. The more the merrier, the sooner the better. 

I will attempt to negotiate an exception to this restriction once DC Bike has reached its volunteer cap. but, of course I cannot promise that course crashing will be allowed under any circumstances. So, the best thing to do in order to ensure your participation is volunteer. 

PEV Run rules

1. When riding on the course, all volunteers must be wearing their volunteer t-shirt 

2. The course speed limit for liability reasons is 18 mph. There is absolutely no way for them to actually monitor our speeds, but I am asking that all PEV riders be respectful of the course rules. Furthermore, there will be a lead car lead guiding us through the course. We must remain behind the lead car throughout the length of the course. The lead car will not travel faster than 18mph.

Please register to volunteer at the following link: 
I look forward to a fantastic event. 

Glydiators! Come out to PLAAYAY. 

https://register.dcbikeride.com/event/volunteer

Check out this Meetup with DC Glydiators http://meetu.ps/e/Gy8qP/DMZ1W/d

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I'll be hosting an event for one of my other groups then, boo!  Same for the DC Bike Ride date, which looks awesome btw!

On 3/20/2019 at 10:39 AM, Lutalo said:

THE TROUBLE MAN CAMPAIGN

4/7/2019, 1PM, Anacostia Subway Station. 

"https://www.komoot.com/invite-tour/59087443?code=28ome3-wDUQWdoivXpK47gO6ZfT4sWclHvAhxAXH6VH8RCa_5U"

Get ready to explore the real DC. This is the DC you must visit if you want to see it, because it will not appear on the face of any post card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Unfortunately, I'll be hosting an event for one of my other groups then, boo!  Same for the DC Bike Ride date, which looks awesome btw!

No worries man. We will hook it up soon. I will keep them coming so just do what you can do. We got your back and your front. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Just a friendly reminder for our ride next Sun. Apr. 14th. I hope to see you there!

I can no longer make that ride due another commitment that weekend, out of the area.

• Like 1

Hey, guys.

Rain is in the forecast for Sunday, but it is not supposed occur before the evening; starting circa 8pm. So it seems we are in good shape on Sunday for the Trouble Man Campaign. Predicted forecast is cloudy and warm. Great day for a ride. 

Glydiators. Come out to PLAAYAY.

Check out this Meetup with DC Glydiators http://meetu.ps/e/GxB7k/DMZ1W/d

17 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Yup. That was a DCEsK8 event. I was there. I watched Tishawn's video and caught several glimpses of myself. Felt like a celeb 😂😂😂

epic!

i was looking out for your dreads :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Siggy said:

epic!

i was looking out for your dreads :)

:D:D I had them dreads capped up that day. I would have been wearing a helmet, but I didn't think that I would be riding since the event ride was scheduled for much later that day, and I had other plans. I got caught up in an impromptu early ride that was really cool. The ESK8 dudes love to get gnarly on the hills so we tackled some hills . 

So we "Glydiators" were the only tourists in all of Anacostia today. Those streets are perfect for riding. Cars passing by seemed to be few and far between. The many hills were a pleasure and a thrill to ride on. I recommend it for those that missed it. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

So we "Glydiators" were the only tourists in all of Anacostia today. Those streets are perfect for riding. Cars passing by seemed to be few and far between. The many hills were a pleasure and a thrill to ride on. I recommend it for those that missed it. 

Glad that you enjoyed it man. It was a great ride through the backstreets; and sometimes alleys, of 25 neighborhoods in SE DC. Mega hills, awesome vistas of the city. Crazy fun. Looking forward to the next time the Glydiators come out to PLAAYAY in SE. :thumbup: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw that.  I'm sad, it feels like forever since we've rode together.  Hopefully another time soon!

On 4/2/2019 at 7:09 PM, edwin_rm said:

I can no longer make that ride due another commitment that weekend, out of the area.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just another friendly reminder for our ride this Sunday.  Please RSVP as I will send a message out to the yes RSVPs with any updates and my cell phone no. (which has changed from when I first started the group).  I hope to see you there!

On 2/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, J.T. said:

Based on feedback, I've posted our next ride here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/259311824/ . Please RSVP and join us!

• Like 1

A silly moment on this excursion:  we were sailing along Massachusetts Avenue, in a file of ones and twos, having emerged from the Carnegie library square.  People were strolling about.  The first unicyclists in the party, up ahead of me, had neatly crossed a side street and swept up the curb ramp and were eddying among the garden islands in an especially broad stretch of sidewalk.  A young couple was admiring the spectacle before them.  One confided to the other, with a tone of awe:  "They look like professional athletes."  Just then, before he had ventured to speculate which sport, I went by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biped Phil said:

A silly moment on this excursion:  we were sailing along Massachusetts Avenue, in a file of ones and twos, having emerged from the Carnegie library square.  People were strolling about.  The first unicyclists in the party, up ahead of me, had neatly crossed a side street and swept up the curb ramp and were eddying among the garden islands in an especially broad stretch of sidewalk.  A young couple was admiring the spectacle before them.  One confided to the other, with a tone of awe:  "They look like professional athletes."  Just then, before he had ventured to speculate which sport, I went by.

I missed that exchange. It would have been amusing to hear that. I wonder what sort of athletes we resembled to them; roller bladers from the future perhaps?😁😁😁

• Like 1

Ha!  That's great, thank you for sharing that.  I remember hearing quite a few "What is that??" remarks and a "Woooaaaah!" from a little kid.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:27 AM, Biped Phil said:

For those that aren't part of my Meetup group, below are a couple of photos from the ride, the rest can be found here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/photos/29892669/

highres_480470689.jpeg

highres_480470799.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Ha!  That's great, thank you for sharing that.  I remember hearing quite a few "What is that??" remarks and a "Woooaaaah!" from a little kid.

For those that aren't part of my Meetup group, below are a couple of photos from the ride, the rest can be found here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/photos/29892669/

highres_480470689.jpeg

highres_480470799.jpeg

Who's that handsome feller in the red scarf? :D

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Who's that handsome feller in the red scarf? :D

Looks like you when you were younger :P

• Like 1

DC Glydiators and DC ESk8 present the Hickey Hill Thrill Campaign.

Don't want to miss this one. Sunday, April 28th 12pm Whole Foods 2201 I Street NW, Washington, DC. NPR will be covering our ride.. There will be a journalist and videographer following us along our route by car to capture the ride. This is part of a spread they are doing on alternative transpo in DC. 

Don't miss it. Click the link above for more info and to see the route map. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Please post link to the NPR News reportage once it’s up! Here and in a new Thread in General Discussion. I wanna see it.

• Like 2