Washington, DC

RichieV

Hey guys, please mark your calendars. The DC Glydiators Capitol Wheel and Crab Cake Run will be held on January 26, 2019 

We will meet at Union Station at 11am. From there we ride down the the National Mall, and across the Arlington Memorial Bridge. Before we reach our National Harbor destination where we recharge our wheels and our bodies we will travel approximately 15 miles passing through Pentagon City, Crystal City, Old Town Alexandria, and across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge along the way. The return trip from the harbor will reverse the route and return to Union Station. 

The extended forecast calls for partly sunny skies with highs in the mid to upper forties. It's Winter. It's cold. So please dress in warm layers as you will be outside for about 1.5 to 2 hours at a time in each direction of the ride. Please wear safety gear for your protection. 

The route is 100% paved, and a good mix of bike trail and street. The safety of every Glydiator is our highest priority so the ride speeds will be moderate and adapted to the traveling conditions in a manner that promotes safety for all participating Glydiators.

Follow the link below to preview the route. 

https://www.komoot.com/invite-tour/54395207?code=sql492-Wy48vfSb8rXeh-v26Uear-BtMYjsBK4jj1oW4Mx071E

Don't miss out on this great ride. RSVP on Meet-up at the Glydiators group page. :efee8319ab:👍

download.jpeg

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone RSVPd on the Capitol Wheel and Crab Cake Run (Triple C). Messaged you all my contact information. If you did not receive the message please let me know.

We will coordinate with everyone for the group ride via What's App. I made a group. I will add RSVP as they text me with their contact information.  

I recommend downloading it if you don't have it on your phone. It's free, easy to set up and use.

The forecast calls for Sunny weather with a high of about 39 - 40F. That's practically a summer day. Perfect riding weather :D:D:D

• Upvote 1

Hey guys just to recap logistics for Triple C. We will rendezvous 11am at the Union Station subway bunker on the 1st Street and Mass Ave side of Union Station next to the US Postal Museum.

The Capitol Weather Gang Says that it will be sunny with a high of 39F; a nice spring-like day for our ride, and I trust the Capitol Weather Gang (CWG). I roll with CWG all day; their word is their bond 😉👍

Since 11am is early on a Saturday ☺ we will start the ride at 1115 to give anyone that might run a bit behind time to join us. However, please be in communication if this is your situation.

I do realize that many don't get a mobile signal while traveling through the subway tunnels. Hence, the reason we will hold tight on the spot 15 min for anyone who has RSVPd but has not arrived by 11am. Please do your best to arrive by 11.

In the event that we do take off without you, you can probably catch up with us if you link with me on Komoot and download the route to your mobile device. Plus, if you are on What's App and you hit us we will know that you are beating the route to catch up. 

Anyone owning a surge protector with multiple outlets please bring it so those needing to charge can do so at National Harbor where we will be stopping. I will be bringing one, if someone else has one.... 😉👍

Looking forward to a great ride. See you guys there. 
😉👍

Edited by Lutalo

Join DC Glydiators on a chill Sunday glide down Sligo Creek Trail (SCT). We will meet up at the Wheaton Metro Station, in the pedestrian tunnel underneath Georgia Avenue, on Sunday February 3, at noon.

From the Subway station we take a very short ride over to Sligo Creek to meet the trailhead. We then follow the beautiful Sligo Creek Trail to the Rachel Carson Trail (RaCT). From the RaCT we will meet and follow the Anacostia River Trail (ART) to the Navy Yard where we chill at Philz Coffee, enjoy the camaraderie of the EUC brotherhood, and sip some of the best pour over coffee and tea that money can buy. The event ends at Philz.

Those who wish to reverse route back to the Wheaton Metro Station with me are quite welcome. If you need to use the subway, the Navy Yard stop is two blocks west on M Street.

Glydiators with lower range wheels will need to plan accordingly. The route is 22.5 miles one direction. Our trip down Sligo takes us directly to the West Hyattsville Metro Station (WHMS). If you have doubts about your wheel's range enabling you to make the trip WHMS is a great place to enter the subway system and catch a green line train to Navy Yard and reconnect with the group at Philz. Alternately, you can connect with us at WHMS and ride the remainder of the trip with the group over to Philz.

IMG_20190128_143859.jpg

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

Hyattsville - Navy Yard looks like almost 12 miles on Google Maps. 

Hyattsville - Stadium/Armory, almost 9 miles. (Stadium/Armory is about half-a-mile off the route.)

Right. The route passes by, but on the ART. I totally forgot to mention that Stadium Armory Metro Station was on the Route. Thanks, so much for bringing that to my attention. I will add that info to the announcement on Meetup and Facebook as well. Hope that you will be able make it out.  :)👍

Edited by Lutalo

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder. Due to the weather this event was rescheduled to tomorrow. Forecast is a sunny winter day with a high of 39F so layer up a bit. During our ride the temps will range from 35F-39F. So Sayeth the Capitol Weather Gangstaz.

Join DC Glydiators on a chill Saturday glide down Sligo Creek Trail (SCT). We will meet up at the Wheaton Metro Station, in the pedestrian tunnel underneath Georgia Avenue, on Sunday February 3, at noon.

From the Subway station we take a very short ride over to Sligo Creek to meet the trailhead. We then follow the beautiful Sligo Creek Trail to the Rachel Carson Trail (RaCT). From the RaCT we will meet and follow the Anacostia River Trail (ART) to the Navy Yard where we chill at Philz Coffee, enjoy the camaraderie of the EUC brotherhood, and sip some of the best pour over coffee and tea that money can buy. The event ends at Philz.

Those who wish to reverse route back to the Wheaton Metro Station with me are quite welcome. If you need to use the subway, the Navy Yard stop is two blocks west on M Street.

Glydiators with lower range wheels will need to plan accordingly. The route is 22.5 miles one direction. Our trip down Sligo takes us directly to the West Hyattsville Metro Station (WHMS). If you have doubts about your wheel's range enabling you to make the trip WHMS is a great place to enter the subway system and catch a green line train to Navy Yard and reconnect with the group at Philz. Alternately, you can connect with us at WHMS and ride the remainder of the trip with the group over to Philz.

IMG_20190128_143859.jpg

Edited by Lutalo

Looks like a fun route. Can’t join the one today, but for sure the next one!

Btw, cold weather affects battery duration significantly. Don’t get caught with your guard down!

Edited by edwin_rm
info
  • Like 1

Awesome, great to see others are helping to keep the community together!

On 1/4/2019 at 5:25 PM, Lutalo said:

Hey, DMV riders. The DC Glydiators group is live so, please go to meet-up and join. My goal with Glydiators is to connect DMV EUC Enthusiasts by getting together to share events, group rides, wheels, war stories, and then ride some more. 

It's their Capitol, but it's our city so let's take over the streets of the Acropolis for some fun and adventurous city rides. 

If For some reason the provided link doesn't work you should be able to find it by going to Meet-up and typing in Glydiators. If you have a great DMV ride route in mind share it here and we can plan it.

I am thinking of having the Inaugural ride in April with some earlier, more spontaneous get togetherswhenever winter weather permits. I am hoping for wide participation to bring our EUC community together. Esk8bd riders and e-scooter riders are welcome to ride with us anytime. Looking forward to good times Glydiators.

Peace, 

Lutalo 

• Like 1

I'm looking to plan our next ride.  Due to my schedule, I need to plan far in advance, and I'm looking at the dates below.  What does / doesn't work for others?

• Sat. Apr. 6th
  • Sun. Apr. 14th
  • Sat. Apr. 20th

Thank you in advance!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm looking to plan our next ride.  Due to my schedule, I need to plan far in advance, and I'm looking at the dates below.  What does / doesn't work for others?

• Sat. Apr. 6th
  • Sun. Apr. 14th
  • Sat. Apr. 20th

Thank you in advance!

@J.T.. These dates are sort of far off for me, tentatively, i'm gonna say Sunday, April 14th.

Let's bring it together in better weather😀👍.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, J.T. said:

So I'm getting a lot of interest by non-EUC, non-esk8, and non-OneWheel riders to join our group rides.  What are people's thoughts on letting people rent one of those e-scooters and join us?

On 11/15/2018 at 3:28 PM, Lutalo said:

Not actually sure why we would consider preventing them joining us, or care how they acquire a tool (legality assumed). Makes the groups bigger; the more the merrier. 

On 11/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, RichieV said:

The more the merrier.  Those scooters are the gateway drug to EUCs.  Just make sure to enforce safe riding habits when they join in the fun.

I agree. They seem capable enough! 

• Like 2

Based on feedback, I've posted our next ride here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/259311824/ . Please RSVP and join us!

On 2/14/2019 at 6:00 PM, J.T. said:

• Sat. Apr. 6th
  • Sun. Apr. 14th
  • Sat. Apr. 20th

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the short notice,  but Peeping Spring snuck up on me. Sunday is forecasted to have May-like temperatures; 69F. In accordance with the law of great weather We will be meeting up at the Glenmont Metro Station at noon RSVP on Meetup. Join DC Glydiators on the Peeping Spring ride. 

http://meetu.ps/e/Gv4Rr/DMZ1W/d

Get more info on the DCG FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423932484415915/?ref=share

Edited by Lutalo
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Lutalo said:

My apologies for the short notice,  but Peeping Spring snuck up on me. Sunday is forecasted to have May-like temperatures; 69F. In accordance with the law of great weather We will be meeting up at the Glenmont Metro Station at noon RSVP on Meetup. Join DC Glydiators on the Peeping Spring ride. 

http://meetu.ps/e/Gv4Rr/DMZ1W/d

Get more info on the DCG FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1423932484415915/?ref=share

Awesome!

• Like 1

Those were some beautiful nature trails! (with lots of curves and elevation changes)

Edited by edwin_rm
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Those were some beautiful nature trails! (with lots of curves and elevation changes)

Thanks man. So glad that you enjoyed the ride. It was amazing. The range of your monster is a sight to behold. We just took a 50 mile ride around Washington; from Glenmont to Anacostia on almost 100% paved trail. That's just friggin awesome. Can hardly wait to do it again :D👍

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys spring is here. I am thinking that we should kick off our riding season on Sunday April 7th. Because April can be tricky in Washington, I was originally thinking of starting later; early May. But, the weather outlook for April this year is pleasant. 

I propose the following Glydiator event schedule for April:

1. Sun 4/7, 1pm, 4hrs
2. Sat 4/13, 1pm, 4hrs
3. Sun 4/14, 1pm GOG Penn/Mass ride. 
4. Sun 4/21, 1pm, 4hrs
5. Sun 4/28, 1pm, 4hrs

Please let me know your thoughts. 

THE TROUBLE MAN CAMPAIGN

4/7/2019, 1PM, Anacostia Subway Station. 

"https://www.komoot.com/invite-tour/59087443?code=28ome3-wDUQWdoivXpK47gO6ZfT4sWclHvAhxAXH6VH8RCa_5U"

Get ready to explore the real DC. This is the DC you must visit if you want to see it, because it will not appear on the face of any post card.

Trouble will take us through 24 neighborhoods covering 25 miles through the SE and NE quadrants of the city that includes Deanwood, the neighborhood where the legendary soul singer Marvin Gaye grew up and nurtured his incredible artistic talents.

The SE neighborhoods we will conquer include: Anacostia, Barry Farm, Skyland, Garfield Heights, Buena Vista, Naylor Gardens, Hillcrest, Lower Fairfax Village, Fairfax Village, Fort Davis Park, Benning Ridge, Benning, and Marshall Heights.

The NE neighborhoods include: Capitol View, Grant Park, Northeast Boundary, Lincoln Heights, Deanwood, Burrville, Upper Central Northeast, Lower Central Northeast, Kenilworth, Eastland Gardens, and Mayfair.

The expedition will commence and terminate at the Anacostia Metro Station. Although parking is challenging, those driving to Anacostia should be able to find a spot I would think on a Sunday. However, I do recommend the Subway to simplify travel.

GLYDIATORS. COME OUT TO PLAAYAY.

RSVP on Meetup

R-4258829-1359947066-7506.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1