Washington, DC

RichieV

I ride a KS18. Anyone planning any DC rides late June early July? Or do you guys even plan that far in advance? The weather is right. Would definitely like to do something post 18L (end of June) if the current projections hold up on first batch preorder shipments. 

By the way,  saw a guy on a Gotway a couple of months ago in Adams Morgan/Columbia Heights. He was headed south on 16th Street crossing Columbia Road. Looked like he was riding an MSuper or maybe ACM. I was in my car and traffic was the usual bitch so no room to chat.

Anyway, it was refreshing to see another rider in DC. I know that there must be plenty (relatively speaking since there aren't yet very many EUC riders in the world), but in our "gotta get it done now" city it is hard to catch DC strivers out leisure riding during the week. That is why I found seeing the Gotway guy unusual. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, edwin_rm said:

We know Washington D.C. is the capital of USA, but, they say... that Nueva York is the capital of the WORLD! ?

Who the hell is "they" and what particular exotics does Mr. "they" smoke? 

Edited by Lutalo

On 5/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, Lutalo said:

Who the hell is "they" and what particular exotics does Mr. "they" smoke? 

The worldwide media industry. ?

12 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

The worldwide media industry. ?

Sounds more like another laughably clownish, typically unqualified, utterly meaningless, pathetically grandiose, and, not to mention, entirely false claim that laudanum dipping editors from a rag called "The Worldwide Media Industry of New York" would invent.

Hey, let's up ante on bogus claims. I hereby Claim that DC is the Capitol of the Fkng Universe; better yet, the Multi-verse. ?

Edited by Lutalo

Based on feedback, the next ride has been posted here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/250888917/ . @RichieV, I somehow managed to do a dry run of the route beforehand, and per your comment, Ohio Drive (about 2/3rd's of the full route) is very ESK8-friendly.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:48 PM, J.T. said:

I'm starting to plan for the next ride and I'm targeting July.  As usual, per my schedule, I need to plan far in advance.  What dates do or don't work for others?

• Sat. July 7th
  • Sun. July 22nd
  • Sat. July 28th

Thank you in advance!

Also, in case some of you haven't already seen it, here's video from our last ride courtesy of Chris... 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Based on feedback, the next ride has been posted here... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/250888917/ . @RichieV, I somehow managed to do a dry run of the route beforehand, and per your comment, Ohio Drive (about 2/3rd's of the full route) is very ESK8-friendly.

Also, in case some of you haven't already seen it, here's video from our last ride courtesy of Chris... 

Nice. Just RSVP'd +2, but most likely it will be just the +2 (my 2 sons) Since ride day is on my birthday, I may have to catch the next one. 

Edited by Lutalo

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever did the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail (ART)? It's miles of trail that is part of the Anacostia Tributary Trail system. Since it seems that your last group ride traversed mostly urban terrain, a trail ride would be slightly off the beaten urban paths. 

A few years back I cycled the portion of the ART that travels southwest along southeast blvd and the west side of the Anacostia River from Stadium-Armory, to Navy Yard, and to Nats Stadium. The Frederick Douglass/South Capitol Street Bridge connects the ART west of the river to the ART east of the river.

I cycled that portion northeast along the Anacostia River to the Whitney Young/East Capitol Street Bridge crossed the bridge and jumped back on the subway at Stadium-Armory. I recall that being a nice ride.

However, ART east is part of the tributary trail system. As such it runs all the way to Bladensburg where it connects with the Northwest Branch Trail (NBT).

In West Hyattsville, the NBT connects with the  Sligo Creek Trail (SCT). The SCT then runs northwest along Sligo Creek all the way to Wheaton Regional Park in Silver Spring/Wheaton, MD. The park is a stone's throw from the Wheaton Metro subway station where a group ride could commence and/or disburse.

Also, the NBT continues on its own path, and I think, fizzles out in further north and east in Wheaton as well. 

I am planning a recon ride of the ART that retraces my cycle route from Stadium-Armory back to East Capitol east of the river. I think the riding ban/mandatory dismount near Nats Stadium is lifted. Now that there is no walking portion it will be more fun.

This time I will continue up to West Hyattsville and connect with the SCT up to Wheaton. Unfortunately, I do not have a camera so I cannot record the salient portions of the ride route. I will however, report and share thoughts about the trails in case someone else wants to try it individually or in a group. I know that a few years back there were portions of the ART (behind Mayfair Mansions) that were still unpaved. Hope they have since been paved (personal preference).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Anyone ever did the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail (ART)? It's miles of trail that is part of the Anacostia Tributary Trail system. Since it seems that your last group ride traversed mostly urban terrain, a trail ride would be slightly off the beaten urban paths. 

I've only ridden a very small part of it when riding by the Navy Yard.  I'm down for a group ride to check it out one of these weekends, though.  Anybody else?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichieV said:

I've only ridden a very small part of it when riding by the Navy Yard.  I'm down for a group ride to check it out one of these weekends, though.  Anybody else?

Me for sure. I bicycled the ART route I described a couple of years ago, but I have never had my KS18 on it. Yesterday I took on the Rock Creek Trail from Bethesda up to the trailhead of the Matthew Henson Trail (MHT), which I believed ended in the Aspen Hill area. Along the MHT I saw several seemingly unafraid fully horned Bucks staring me down as if they were daring me to make a false move.

I am down to do it. Especially since I won't be able to join the group ride scheduled for July 22 (celebrating my birthday).

Yesterday I did a ride from White Flint area to the campus of University of Maryland.

The ride was a mixture of trail and street. Overall, it was about 13 miles each direction. Took connecting back streets to the trailhead of the Sligo Creek Trail. Followed it to University Blvd (UB) and from there followed UB entirely to the campus.

I don't know much about VA side conditions, but the MD suburbs are tough because of high traffic volume and limited bike lanes. I was forced to ride on the sidewalk for the entirety of the UB portion. The sidewalk is also challenging in some places with lots of overgrown brush that forces pedestrians toward the road, and deep cracks and other disrupting/dangerous imperfections on the sidewalk surface.

Ironically, I enjoy riding in the city more than the suburbs due to the abundance of bike lanes within DC compared to the relative lack of them outside. I think that every route should be a bike route.

On 6/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, RichieV said:

I'm down for a group ride to check it out one of these weekends, though.  Anybody else?

I might or might not be able to. Sorta booked most of my summer with a bunch of stuff. I guess depends on the day/time.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, RichieV said:

yeah I'd be down- this and next weekend I cant make tho

17 minutes ago, kour said:

yeah I'd be down- this and next weekend I cant make tho

Cool. I am thinking late July or early August. I was thinking of doing a recon ride of the Mayfair portion to determine if it is still under construction.

Just rode the Anacostia Tributary Trail System (ATTS). I parked at Wheaton Mall and took the Subway to Stadium Armory. I connected with the West Bank ART (Navy Yard, Nats Stadium Side) to Douglass Bridge where I crossed over to the East Bank ART. Followed the ART to Bladensburg where I connected with the Northwest Branch Trail. Followed the NBT to Sligo Creek Trail. Followed SCT back to Wheaton. 

Since the stupid KS app wouldn't connect I couldn't get exact mileage, but a rough calculation is 25 miles. A small portion of the trail behind Mayfair is unpaved surface, but mild. The rest of the trail is awesome. The ATTS trip on my 1200 Watt motor KS 18 drained my 630wh battery down to two bars.

So, those of you who might have smaller packages might not be able to make the whole trip without a charging stop. Those with larger battery packs will have no trouble completing my ATTS route.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, lebowitz said:

Met RichieV on the mall and we rode together for a bit.  Big thanks to him for letting me try out his inmotion wheel.  I commute from capitol hill to midtown on an MSuper v2.  See you around town!

Cool. Commuting on an MSuper must be fun. Are you planning on getting the new MSX when it comes out? I am thinking about ordering one just for the range it provides. Not sure that I need all the range an MSX supplies.

I placed an order for the new KS 18L. It will be my son's wheel, but I am sure that I will get plenty of riding time on it. I will take some trips on the 18L when it arrives to see of it meets my very abstract desired range conceptualization. Hoping that it will get here before the end of the month. Tracking calculations have it shipped from the dealer; EWheels, on July 18th. From there, my calculations have it at my door by the 23rd.

Just a friendly reminder for our ride next Sun. July 22nd (see link below)...

On 6/6/2018 at 3:07 PM, J.T. said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lebowitz said:

Met RichieV on the mall and we rode together for a bit.  Big thanks to him for letting me try out his inmotion wheel.  I commute from capitol hill to midtown on an MSuper v2.  See you around town!

Yeah talk about random!  I was just pulling my wheel out of my car after parking on National Mall and when I turned my head I was pleasantly shocked to see another ewheeler rolling right toward me.  Ended up riding and chatting for a bit and a short wheel swap.  Thank you for letting me try out the MSuper v2.  I never had a chance to ride one before; I was surprised at how comfortable it was.  Anyway, it's always fun meeting other EUC riders in the wild.  If you're into the group ride thing, @J.T. has one scheduled on July 22 (see the post above), where we cruise around terrorizing the city, stealing candy from children and making lewd gestures at passers-by :D

• Like 3

On 7/10/2018 at 10:31 AM, Lutalo said:

Are you planning on getting the new MSX when it comes out?

The temptation is there to get a new wheel, especially after feeling how stable Richie’s was in turns.  But I have grown to trust my current wheel and it goes plenty fast, so no plans.  

• Like 1

Just a friendly reminder for the ride this Sunday (see link below).  Don't forget to RSVP as I usually post updates and email them out to the yes RSVPs.  I look forward to seeing you there!

In case you missed it, rescheduled to Sat. Aug. 11th (the only date I have available in the next month and a half) due to thunderstorms... https://www.meetup.com/ewheelgroup/events/250888917/ .  I look forward to seeing you there!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to see you'll miss it, I look forward to seeing you at the next one!

On 7/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, edwin_rm said:

I can’t make the next ride (or any other rides in the area for the rest of summer)

Edited by J.T.