Couple of KS-16S Questions

Maximus

Not wishing to harp on about this whole directional tire thing but this is a capture from a video @KingSong69 just posted in the video thread (cool video by the way). The guy rides his 18S in this direction (USB port forward). Based on the tire tread would you say he is riding the tire in the wrong direction? I would expect the drainage channels in the tread to make an arrow shape pointing toward the ground, not upwards so water is squeezed out form the center as it rolls not into it. I'm asking this to help me work out my V8 tire direction.

tire.png

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Not wishing to harp on about this whole directional tire thing but this is a capture from a video @KingSong69 just posted in the video thread (cool video by the way). The guy rides his 18S in this direction (USB port forward). Based on the tire tread would you say he is riding the tire in the wrong direction? I would expect the drainage channels in the tread to make an arrow shape pointing toward the ground, not upwards so water is squeezed out form the center as it rolls not into it. I'm asking this to help me work out my V8 tire direction.

tire.png

Yeah, i have the 18S with this Kenda tire also, and from the arrow on the tire...its the wrong direction!

22 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yeah, i have the 18S with this Kenda tire also, and from the arrow on the tire...its the wrong direction!

So much for KingSong quality control ;)

Went 15 miles today in NYC!  Most I've ridden in one time. Half sitting and half standing.  At one point I had the serious wobbles.  Almost threw me off!  Leg fatigue!

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yah...take that Big Bully King Song!!  Also your phillips head screws are facing the wrong direction?  :o Na Na Nana Na Na!

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Based on the tire tread would you say he is riding the tire in the wrong direction? I

Wait a minute.....tires can be mounted in the wrong direction:confused1: That's why my truck ended up at the bottom of the lake!!:facepalm:

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Yah...take that Big Bully King Song!!  Also your phillips head screws are facing the wrong direction?  :o Na Na Nana Na Na!

Wait a minute.....tires can be mounted in the wrong direction:confused1: That's why my truck ended up at the bottom of the lake!!:facepalm:

Hey, everyone is always picking on Gotway for QC issues (with good reason) I'm not going to give KingSong a free pass :)

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey, everyone is always picking on Gotay for QC issues (with good reason) I'm not going to give KingSong a free pass :)

What's a Gotay?:confused1:

Really thought you would hit back hard with truck joke. :)

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

tire.png

All I know is that the direction of the arrow is the direction that my tire is spinning. I think that is the most important thing. I'm not about to try and overthinking beyond that point. I can't imagine that there is a huge difference, but in the interest of that is "right" and "wrong" I think that setting your machine up to allow the tire to turn in the direction the arrow points is pretty logical to me and in the case of the 16S it puts the power button in front of me and the foot pedal logos reading correctly. I'm satisfied. Quality control, passed @Marty Backe!

46 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

What's a Gotay?:confused1:

Really thought you would hit back hard with truck joke. :)

I believe in not hitting a guy when he's down :rolleyes:

You can start worrying about hydroplaning when the wheels go 150-200km/h, or something along those lines... I read that for bicycles, the speed was something like 200+km/h before the tread pattern starts to matter and the tire can hydroplane. For cars and other vehicles with wide tires and large contact patch, it's a different matter.

EDIT: Still had to check... on both my KS16B & KS16S, the rotation direction is correct with the buttons in front ;)

22 minutes ago, esaj said:

You can start worrying about hydroplaning when the wheels go 150-200km/h, or something along those lines... I read that for bicycles, the speed was something like 200+km/h before the tread pattern starts to matter and the tire can hydroplane. For cars and other vehicles with wide tires and large contact patch, it's a different matter.

EDIT: Still had to check... on both my KS16B & KS16S, the rotation direction is correct with the buttons in front ;)

I've been riding with the battery indicator in the front.  haven't checked if the tire rotation is correct. LOL

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

I've been riding with the battery indicator in the front.  haven't checked if the tire rotation is correct. LOL

With the speeds and pressures used in the wheels, it probably won't matter, at least for hydroplaning. For general grip & tire wear, I have no idea whether the tread pattern direction is meaningful... There's a myriad of reasons that can cause you to fall or lose traction, but I doubt hydroplaning is very high up in the list ;)  In about 3000km, I've never had the tire skid on pavement (wet or dry), but loose gravel and soft mud can cause "nice" skidding (usually sideways :P).

I hit some loose gravel taking a left turn from a pathway onto a dirt road.  The lateral skid was unsettling, but I summoned my inner "Mini-EUC Extreme" and rode through it.  :efee96588e:   It's just bad when you're not expecting it.  Also the lurch that happens when you hit deep enough loose rocks is a bit alarming.

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

???

The Front on the KS18A/AY/S is where the batterie LED indicator is...so that you can see it while driving.....so the tire is correct, its just Philippe giving a ^%${ about what is front or back :)

You know, on Kingsong wheels you can do that, without being afraid that some solder points or cable get loose or melt :P

On 7/21/2017 at 8:35 AM, Maximus said:

On the KS-14C, there was a way to turn blue tooth off; by pressing the blue tooth icon on the top of the unit.  On the 16S there are only two buttons; the power on/off button and the smaller headlight on/off button.  Is there some hidden button or button combination that turns the blue tooth on/off?  I ask because, once I am done riding my (blue tooth) music continues to play, so I wanted to be able to turn that off from the wheel itself, as opposed to turning it off from my phone.

I may have been incorrect saying that the music keeps playing after I turn my wheel off.  At this point, it seems that, when I turn off my wheel, the audio/music blue tooth connection turns off, so no need for an extra button, I guess.  

On 7/21/2017 at 8:35 AM, Maximus said:

In addition, is there a way to turn off the voice prompt every time that I start the unit that says "blue tooth connected"?

This is still an issue though...I turn my wheel on and off a fair amount and that prompt is annoying. 

On 7/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, LanghamP said:

Do the fans on the KS16S actually work? I mean, they spin around and all but do they actually reduce the temperature inside the wheel?

Are there even fans?  Did you open the shell?  I haven't heard fans running on mine, but maybe you are seeing something on the board?  If you have a pic maybe that would help elicit a response from someone?

On 23.7.2017 at 5:25 PM, esaj said:

Pheewww, thanks God, I already thought I rolled backwards the last 3000 km or so without knowing it ... :D

But I never checked that until now, will do (though I don't care about which direction is "correct" or not, because I think at EUC speeds this doesn't matter).

16 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Are there even fans?  Did you open the shell?  I haven't heard fans running on mine, but maybe you are seeing something on the board?  If you have a pic maybe that would help elicit a respo

Haha! Yes there is a fan...It starts working at about 53degree celsius(don't nail me on a exact number)!

you should hear it, but you can also see it in the app as it says "refrigeration on" in the left down corner! The fan then works until 40degrees are reached...

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Haha! Yes there is a fan...It starts working at about 53degree celsius(don't nail me on a exact number)!

you should hear it, but you can also see it in the app as it says "refrigeration on" in the left down corner! The fan then works until 40degrees are reached...

Holy crap that's cool.

Just now, Maximus said:

Holy crap that's cool.

The fan sits under the 2 big capacitors and blows directly onto the Mosfets/heatsink :-)

yip...nice design!

Just now, KingSong69 said:

The fan sits under the 2 big capacitors and blows directly onto the Mosfets/heatsink :-)

yip...nice design!

That seems like it would be the solution to the problem that @Marty Backe has had with his KS-14C...nice to see the evolution :)

Archived