Jump to content
Maximus

Couple of KS-16S Questions

Recommended Posts

Two quick questions that I was hoping for some help with:

1) Which end of the wheel is the front and which is the back?  When the wheel goes back and forth the headlight and brake light switch, so does it matter?

2) When you calibrate the pedals, how do others do it?  Are you simply tilting it back and basing it on feel or are you using some kind of numbers like -1, -2, etc?  Do you use your phone with a leveler app?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Maximus said:

Two quick questions that I was hoping for some help with:

1) Which end of the wheel is the front and which is the back?  When the wheel goes back and forth the headlight and brake light switch, so does it matter?

2) When you calibrate the pedals, how do others do it?  Are you simply tilting it back and basing it on feel or are you using some kind of numbers like -1, -2, etc?  Do you use your phone with a leveler app?

Thank you!

So my guess/conclusion was that the front of the device was where the charge port and on/off button is located.  I'm pretty sure this is accurate as the inside of the pedals, which have a molded "Kingsong" on them, also reads right-side-up (as opposed to up-side-down) :).

I also just used my best guess for pedal leveling/calibration and gave a very slight backward tilt.  On my KS-14C I have a bit more of a backward tilt because it seems that the pedals adjust with an exaggerated forward lean when I make wide/long corners, so having them start with a bigger backward lean (on the 14C) helps me avoid feeling like I'm going to fall off on those larger corners (again, not necessary on the 16S as the device doesn't seem to lean forward as much on long corners).

Anyway, can't say enough good things about this KS-16S.  Only put 3.5 miles on but the ride was smooth, smooth, smooth :thumbup:!  Light show on the side is way cooler than I expected (I liked mode 2 the best).  Bigger pedals than the 14C is really nice on my feet too.  Feels like a huge upgrade!  Makes me wish I could try all of the models to get a feel for how they all ride :laughbounce2:

Edited by Maximus
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

So my guess/conclusion was that the front of the device was where the charge port and on/off button is located.  I'm pretty sure this is accurate as the inside of the pedals, which have a molded "Kingsong" on them, also reads right-side-up (as opposed to up-side-down) :).

 

The wheel may have an arrow on it suggesting the direction of travel (unless it was put on wrong).

My KS18AY has the charge port and on/off button in the back; with the battery level indicator in the front. 

Edited by abinder3
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Maximus said:

So my guess/conclusion was that the front of the device was where the charge port and on/off button is located.  I'm pretty sure this is accurate as the inside of the pedals, which have a molded "Kingsong" on them, also reads right-side-up (as opposed to up-side-down) :).

while i see the chargeport on the 16s as the front....i don't understand that with the Kingsong moldings...

whatever you have in front...they read the same? :-)

Edited by KingSong69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the calibration process I switch to a level app on my phone to put the wheel to a tilt I want, then finish the calibration. That way I know what I want and how to get it. I've now been at 3 degrees backwards the most.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Maximus said:

So my guess/conclusion was that the front of the device was where the charge port and on/off button is located.  I'm pretty sure this is accurate as the inside of the pedals, which have a molded "Kingsong" on them, also reads right-side-up (as opposed to up-side-down) :).

I also just used my best guess for pedal leveling/calibration and gave a very slight backward tilt.  On my KS-14C I have a bit more of a backward tilt because it seems that the pedals adjust with an exaggerated forward lean when I make wide/long corners, so having them start with a bigger backward lean (on the 14C) helps me avoid feeling like I'm going to fall off on those larger corners (again, not necessary on the 16S as the device doesn't seem to lean forward as much on long corners).

Anyway, can't say enough good things about this KS-16S.  Only put 3.5 miles on but the ride was smooth, smooth, smooth :thumbup:!  Light show on the side is way cooler than I expected (I liked mode 2 the best).  Bigger pedals than the 14C is really nice on my feet too.  Feels like a huge upgrade!  Makes me wish I could try all of the models to get a feel for how they all ride :laughbounce2:

Well done. :)

I agree with everything. My backward tilt on my KS16 is 3 degrees (I used a level app on the smartphone, and leant the wheel as upright as possible against a wall, so that it just not fell over to the other side).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

while i see the chargeport on the 16s as the front....i don't understand that with the Kingsong moldings...

whatever you have in front...they read the same? :-)

I'm talking about the moldings on the inside of the pedals, not the outside. Here is a pic of those moldings showing that they read correctly when I have the charge port in the front:

 

RenderedContent-1AA49443-CB4A-4658-9B43-52B4362F50E3.JPG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

During the calibration process I switch to a level app on my phone to put the wheel to a tilt I want, then finish the calibration. That way I know what I want and how to get it. I've now been at 3 degrees backwards the most.

Awesome, thank you!  I'll have to check and see what I'm set to currently so I have a baseline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I'm talking about the moldings on the inside of the pedals, not the outside. Here is a pic of those moldings showing that they read correctly when I have the charge port in the front:

 

RenderedContent-1AA49443-CB4A-4658-9B43-52B4362F50E3.JPG

Aaaah, Ok, got it :-)

Have to look on my Ks18s directly..But there it is not corresponding with the arrow on the tire :-( From the arrow on the tire my LED for batterie should be in front, while the chargeport is at the back.

And thats how i'm driving it...

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

The wheel may have an arrow on it suggesting the direction of travel (unless it was put on wrong).

 

That's a great observation, @abinder3!  Based upon the arrow on my tire I've got it backwards currently and the charge port should be in the back...  here's a pic of the arrow on the tire and after looking at the tread pattern it makes sense. The only question now is, was the tire put on incorrectly?  I'd say at this point though, I've got to accommodate the existing direction that the tire tread is suggesting because my other visual cues don't mean much (i.e. Who cares whether the charge port is front or back and who cares if moldings on pedals read up side down, all that stuff has no impact on riding, but tread sure can). Thanks again @abinder3

 

RenderedContent-6643A086-920E-4814-8A9D-72823DA8572D.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

Aaaah, Ok, got it :-)

Have to look on my Ks18s directly...

But there it is not corresponding with the arrow on the tire :-(

Yes, agreed!  I'm going to switch up my pedal tilt to match the direction the tire is suggesting I travel in. Great feedback, yet again, from an awesome group of fellow riders!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Maximus said:

That's a great observation, @abinder3!  Based upon the arrow on my tire I've got it backwards currently and the charge port should be in the back...  here's a pic of the arrow on the tire and after looking at the tread pattern it makes sense. The only question now is, was the tire put on incorrectly?  I'd say at this point though, I've got to accommodate the existing direction that the tire tread is suggesting because my other visual cues don't mean much (i.e. Who cares whether the charge port is front or back and who cares if moldings on pedals read up side down, all that stuff has no impact on riding, but tread sure can). Thanks again @abinder3

 

RenderedContent-6643A086-920E-4814-8A9D-72823DA8572D.JPG

Not wishing to add further confusion to this but I was convinced my tire was fitted in the wrong direction on my V8 when it arrived on Monday. I came to this conclusion based on the direction arrow, but, the tread suggests (to my layman mind) it is actually mounted correctly and I'm wondering if on these obscure chinese tires if "Direction", when read the correct way up, indicates the intended primary direction of travel of the vehicle...not the direction of rotation.

I searched online about directional bike tires for help and found a huge forum argument suggesting that for bike tires operating on a surface that does not deform to the shape of the tire (asphalt, concrete, etc) there is no advantage to a having a tread pattern at all and so direction is utterly irrelevant. You'd have to be going unfeasibly fast (even for a GotWay) to risk hydroplaning a narrow bike tire.

Take from this what you will. I remain confused but comfortable that the tread pattern on my V8 is running to my best advantage despite the direction arrow.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Not wishing to add further confusion to this but I was convinced my tire was fitted in the wrong direction on my V8 when it arrived on Monday. I came to this conclusion based on the direction arrow, but, the tread suggests (to my layman mind) it is actually mounted correctly and I'm wondering if on these obscure chinese tires if "Direction", when read the correct way up, indicates the intended primary direction of travel of the vehicle...not the direction of rotation.

I searched online about directional bike tires for help and found a huge forum argument suggesting that for bike tires operating on a surface that does not deform to the shape of the tire (asphalt, concrete, etc) there is no advantage to a having a tread pattern at all and so direction is utterly irrelevant. You'd have to be going unfeasibly fast (even for a GotWay) to risk hydroplaning a narrow bike tire.

Take from this what you will. I remain confused but comfortable that the tread pattern on my V8 is running to my best advantage despite the direction arrow.

My wheel rode incredibly well and so smooth that I am convinced that I could ride it the way it is now (i.e the opposite direction of the arrow) and be 100% comfortable.  However, I may as well humor the directional indicator and at least try going in that direction.  I know it would always be on my mind if I didn't at least try it the other way.  My guess is that it will feel comfortable the new way too and I'll leave it in that direction because I assume I'd be adhering to the direction the tire manufacturer had intended :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maximus said:

That's a great observation, @abinder3!  Based upon the arrow on my tire I've got it backwards currently and the charge port should be in the back...  here's a pic of the arrow on the tire and after looking at the tread pattern it makes sense. The only question now is, was the tire put on incorrectly?  I'd say at this point though, I've got to accommodate the existing direction that the tire tread is suggesting because my other visual cues don't mean much (i.e. Who cares whether the charge port is front or back and who cares if moldings on pedals read up side down, all that stuff has no impact on riding, but tread sure can). Thanks again @abinder3

 

RenderedContent-6643A086-920E-4814-8A9D-72823DA8572D.JPG

To me, it kinda makes sense to have the charge port and on/off button in the back.  Seems like there would be less chance of accidently  hitting the on/off button that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maximus said:

My wheel rode incredibly well and so smooth that I am convinced that I could ride it the way it is now (i.e the opposite direction of the arrow) and be 100% comfortable.  However, I may as well humor the directional indicator and at least try going in that direction.  I know it would always be on my mind if I didn't at least try it the other way.  My guess is that it will feel comfortable the new way too and I'll leave it in that direction because I assume I'd be adhering to the direction the tire manufacturer had intended :)

How I did it I'll never know, but one time when I was riding my wheel, I didn't realize that I was riding it 'backwards' from the way that I usually ride it.  It seemed to feel the same to me.
(Only realized it when I looked down to see the battery level indicator and instead saw the charge port and on/off button.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maximus said:

I'm talking about the moldings on the inside of the pedals, not the outside. Here is a pic of those moldings showing that they read correctly when I have the charge port in the front:

 

RenderedContent-1AA49443-CB4A-4658-9B43-52B4362F50E3.JPG

I see you haven't removed the rubber protection on the pedals.  That was the first thing I did, rip them off and throw them away.  LOL

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maximus said:

Awesome, thank you!  I'll have to check and see what I'm set to currently so I have a baseline.

You should measure twice though: The phone will probably not measure accurately, so turn your phone pointing the other way and calculate the average.

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

To me, it kinda makes sense to have the charge port and on/off button in the back.  Seems like there would be less chance of accidently  hitting the on/off button that way.

But it also serves as the FRONT light button! ;o)

Taking one leg off, powering off and extending the trolley will be quite different if the power button is at the back. I'm not sure if anyone could convince me to flip my S facing the other way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the arrow on the tire points in the direction of rotation.   So, since you are looking at the arrow when it is at the bottom of the device, you should ride the device in the opposite direction of the arrow.

I checked my KS16S and indeed the arrow (at bottom of device) is pointing towards the rear. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dpong said:

I think the arrow on the tire points in the direction of rotation.   So, since you are looking at the arrow when it is at the bottom of the device, you should ride the device in the opposite direction of the arrow.

I checked my KS16S and indeed the arrow (at bottom of device) is pointing towards the rear. 

Hmmm, welp, I've just changed my wheel to go in the other direction so I'm traveling in the same direction that the arrow points putting the power button in the rear. Based upon the tire tread this seems a little more logical.  Can anyone clear this up @Jason McNeil or @Diana@szkingsong.com?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I see you haven't removed the rubber protection on the pedals.  That was the first thing I did, rip them off and throw them away.  LOL

I moved the rubber piece from the pedal to the inside of the wheel so that the pedal now hits the rubber when they are folded up but are no longer on the foot. Thanks for the suggestion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually for tires I think the convention is that the arrow points in the direction that the tire rotates, but maybe these wheels are unconventional and follow their own standard?  In any case, I remember reading online that even with bicycles it likely doesn't matter too much with these directional tires which way they roll as the contact patch is pretty small.  I doubt that hill climbing or riding through water would be affected as there's just one wheel and one small contact patch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

You should measure twice though: The phone will probably not measure accurately, so turn your phone pointing the other way and calculate the average.

But it also serves as the FRONT light button! ;o)

Taking one leg off, powering off and extending the trolley will be quite different if the power button is at the back. I'm not sure if anyone could convince me to flip my S facing the other way!

I agree having the power button in the front seems useful for quick access, but my first priority is to make sure the wheel rides correctly on the tire, so I've switched it up and will see how it rides tomorrow. Road another 3 miles before switching and it road excellent, so we'll see if changing has a negative effect on the ride quality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is pretty common.

The advice for checking the tyre direction is the right one. If not the tyre, you could ride it both sides (well, you actually can do that :-) ).

The KingSong logo on the pedals can be assembled in the opposite direction in some units, but it doesn't have any influence on the ride, as they are symmetrical. 

If you have any other questions related to the KS-16S, I will be happy to help. Great purchase, by the way! Congratulations.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Justina said:

The question is pretty common.

The advice for checking the tyre direction is the right one. If not the tyre, you could ride it both sides (well, you actually can do that :-) ).

The KingSong logo on the pedals can be assembled in the opposite direction in some units, but it doesn't have any influence on the ride, as they are symmetrical. 

If you have any other questions related to the KS-16S, I will be happy to help. Great purchase, by the way! Congratulations.

Thanks @Justina!  So now I'm back to the original setup where the tire is spinning in the direction of the arrow, the power button is in the front of the unit, and the logos on the foot pedals are reading right side up (correctly) :).  On the plus side, I'm getting pretty good at re-calibrating the foot pedals :roflmao:

OK, so new question...

On the KS-14C, there was a way to turn blue tooth off; by pressing the blue tooth icon on the top of the unit.  On the 16S there are only two buttons; the power on/off button and the smaller headlight on/off button.  Is there some hidden button or button combination that turns the blue tooth on/off?  I ask because, once I am done riding my (blue tooth) music continues to play, so I wanted to be able to turn that off from the wheel itself, as opposed to turning it off from my phone.

In addition, is there a way to turn off the voice prompt every time that I start the unit that says "blue tooth connected"?  Maybe it's in the KS app and I just haven't played around with it enough?

As always, thank you everyone for your responses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the fans on the KS16S actually work? I mean, they spin around and all but do they actually reduce the temperature inside the wheel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×