EUC Gimbal with GoPro Hero

Rehab1

I have never been very adroit with a selfie stick like @Marty Backe so I decided to install the new 3 Axis EVO wearable gimbal on my ACM today complete with a GoPro Hero 5 Black Edition and GoPro articulating selfie stick. This camera/gimbal modification will work on any EUC if you are willing to drill a hole or two.

The GoPro plastic female connector (used on most sport cameras) is permanently attached to the left side shell with rivets (either side would work.)  The detachable male portion of the plastic connector is riveted to the articulating camera/ gimbal arm. The camera/gimbal and articulating arm can easily be removed from the wheel in seconds.

There is an unlimited number of positions the articulating arm and gimbal can be positioned.  I will be reporting back on some camera angles that I find ideal for shooting optimal video with this setup.

The EVO wearable gimbal is lightweight and compact and it keeps the camera stable when moving from one camera angle  to another. The GoPro Hero also has an anti-vibration stabilization processor that should smooth out any rough video bumps in the road.

The EVO Gimbal is remote controlled from either my IPhone or a handheld controller. The GoPro Hero can also be controlled by the Iphone, remote control or by voice prompts.

It was a fun little project that should free up my hands while riding. I don't think it will ever replace the selfie stick as the old adage 'the simpler the better' still applies. :)

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have never been very adroit with a selfie stick like @Marty Backe so I decided to install the new 3 Axis EVO wearable gimbal on my ACM today complete with a GoPro Hero 5 Black Edition and GoPro articulating selfie stick. This camera/gimbal modification will work on any EUC if you are willing to drill a hole or two.

The GoPro plastic female connector (used on most sport cameras) is permanently attached to the left side shell with rivets (either side would work.)  The detachable male portion of the plastic connector is riveted to the articulating camera/ gimbal arm. The camera/gimbal and articulating arm can easily be removed from the wheel in seconds.

There is an unlimited number of positions the articulating arm and gimbal can be positioned.  I will be reporting back on some camera angles that I find ideal for shooting optimal video with this setup.

The EVO wearable gimbal is lightweight and compact and it keeps the camera stable when moving from one camera angle  to another. The GoPro Hero also has an anti-vibration stabilization processor that should smooth out any rough video bumps in the road.

The EVO Gimbal is remote controlled from either my IPhone or a handheld controller. The GoPro Hero can also be controlled by the Iphone, remote control or by voice prompts.

It was a fun little project that should free up my hands while riding. I don't think it will ever replace the selfie stick as the old adage 'the simpler the better' still applies. :)

I love it :thumbup: I'm really intrigued, but you didn't provide any footage!!!

I've toyed with mounting my GoPro on a boom that's attached to the wheel so that I can get the wheel in the footage just like my selfie-stick based videos. But I don't have any stabilized cameras or mounts yet.

I love  your solution though. I'll be very interested to see the range of shots that you'll get with this. Video please :popcorn:

If you remember, maybe you can shoot some video with just the built-in GoPro stabilization. I'm curious if it would be good enough to eliminate the vibration from being attached directly to the wheel. I don't think I would use a fancy gimbal myself, but I love the articulating arm.

Can't wait to see some footage - can you tell that I want to see some video :D

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I love it :thumbup: I'm really intrigued, but you didn't provide any footage!!

I seem to screw around with the ACM more than I ride it.:) I had a family affair tonight so I did not get the opportunity to shoot any video yet. Boy did I hate leaving before I could test it but family comes first! I can get some footage using just the GoPro. I have a GoPro mount on the front of V5F+. That should work. I'll find some bumpy regions to test it out. 

How about video and  :popcorn: ?

1st Test Footage

It finally stopped raining so I went out in the parking lot and tried out the new EVO Gimbal /GoPro setup. I now have both fore and aft quick release mounts for the articulated arm that should allow for greater versatility of camera angles. I chose the front mount for this 1st test.

Nothing special as far a scenery for the first test run but the parking lot was a good spot as it is a bit bumpy. You can see the gimbal bouncing around in the video as my ACM hits the bumps but also check out the stability of the footage in the background. Very steady! It is nice to be able to control the 3 axis gimbal by remote. If there are any particular camera angles you would like tested please let me know.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

1st Test Footage

It finally stopped raining so I went out in the parking lot and tried out the new EVO Gimbal /GoPro setup. I now have both fore and aft quick release mounts for the articulated arm that should allow for greater versatility of camera angles. I chose the front mount for this 1st test.

Nothing special as far a scenery for the first test run but the parking lot was a good spot as it is a bit bumpy. You can see the gimbal bouncing around in the video as my ACM hits the bumps but also check out the stability of the footage in the background. Very steady! It is nice to be able to control the 3 axis gimbal by remote. If there are any particular camera angles you would like tested please let me know.

That gimbal works great!  You changed the angles and got very steady video.  The music sounds familiar.  Can you do the angle facing forward at eye level? 

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That gimbal works great!  You changed the angles and got very steady video.  The music sounds familiar.  Can you do the angle facing forward at eye level? 

Thanks! Definitely a work in progress. The EVO gimbal rotates , pans and tilts so yes it can point forward . I was just having fun playing around with the joystick.:) Perfect eye level would require mounting the EVO on my helmet as the articulating arm does not extend up that high. It can be mounted on the helmet which might be fun. 

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

Nicely done.  That footage is (surprisingly) not too bouncy.  I'm impressed with the whole setup, well done!

Thanks! I have a lot to learn. Once I find all of the ideal camera positions I hopefully will be able to capture some interesting footage.

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

1st Test Footage

Nice! Interesting how the wheel is bouncing in the frame but the background is steady.

Is there a way to mount/position the camera so that you don't see the gimbal mechanism (or rarely do)?

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just be careful not to crash the wheel if it's mounted on there.  With a 30 lb wheel, that can put a lot of pressure on those delicate servo motors... :blink:  I wonder whether handheld or some sort of shoulder mount would be better...

Is @Rehab1 known to crash his wheels :confused1:

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is @Rehab1 known to crash his wheels :confused1:

Is @Rehab1 known to ride his wheels :confused1:

;)  Well there was that one injured foot photo he posted up way back when he had an accident on his Ninebot One E+ so he is known to have a spill now and then.  That's one image I try to forget.  :barf:  Well, it wasn't that bad I guess :P  Some kids cut him off in a quad or something if I recall correctly.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just be careful not to crash the wheel if it's mounted on there.  With a 30 lb wheel, that can put a lot of pressure on those delicate servo motors... :blink:  I wonder whether handheld or some sort of shoulder mount would be better...

I agree. If I crash the whole apparatus is toast! There will be no fancy maneuvers on this wheel while using the gimbal arm. For instance  if I want to record video while testing the temperature data logger  (hopefully today), riding backwards or just pushing the limits I can easily disconnect the entire arm from the ACM and move the gimba/camera to my shoulder or use the helmet mount.

What is nice about the EVO is that it can be set up to hold a specific camera angle so if I do use the helmet or shoulder mount and turn my body while filming the camera will remain constantly fixed on the target.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice! Interesting how the wheel is bouncing in the frame but the background is steady. 

Is there a way to mount/position the camera so that you don't see the gimbal mechanism (or rarely do)?

That's what I wanted to see for comparison in this first test. I have further strengthened the arm attachment point that has cut the bouncing in half as I was concerned of fracturing the arm at some point. The gimbal arm bounces less when it postioned vertical but when I extended it horizontally it bounced more. 

The gimbal rotates, pans and tilts in so many directions that the gimbal body does come into view at times. This inept operator just needs to learn to control it better or I can just edit out those shots. :)

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Is @Rehab1 known to ride his wheels :confused1:

Ouch...That hurts!  ---->>>> I'm off work today so I plan to ride alot. :) Actually I ride almost everyday in my parking lot and up at the lake. The truck incident did set me back.

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Well there was that one injured foot photo he posted up way back when he had an accident on his Ninebot One E+ so he is known to have a spill now and then.  That's one image I try to forget.  :barf:  Well, it wasn't that bad I guess :P  Some kids cut him off in a quad or something if I recall correctly.

Nothing wrong with your memory! :cheers: Yes that's exactly what happened. Knock on wood I have been accident free for quite awhile. Now that you have jinxed me again I may end up with a twisted pretzel gimbal arm caught on video. :crying:

I hate to say it but my articulated long arm gimbal mount failed. The articulated joints were constantly slipping froml of the bouncing that would cause the gimbal and GoPro to shift out of position. Big bummer but at least I was able to catch the gimbal and camera before they hit the ground. Here you can see the long arm and gimbal sticking out shortly before it began sliding downward.12PmrXN.jpg

So now I am playing around with a more compact mount on my V5F+ before I decide to drill anymore holes in the ACM. Thankfully I  bought a new pair of side panels from Jason. The new mount appears to be working  great so hopefully I can take some video tomorrow.

After almost a week of playing around with the GoPro Hero 5 attached to the EVO Gimbal I have finally found a sound platform....my hand.:facepalm:  I have tried various mounts attached to the ACM but there was always some degree of vibration that produced suboptimal video.  The gimbal works great as long as the base of support it is attached to is not shaky. The human body is designed to absorb vibration as it travels up the legs through the torso and into the arms and hands .Now the gimbal responds like it should....a smooth video even over rough terrain. At around 2:20 into the video you will see the ACM and my legs  bouncing over a patch of land that is filled with mole hills but the video remained very smooth. I'm thrilled! :clap3:I still need to work on the camera settings. Not sure why some shots appears to fade in and out.

15 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

After almost a week of playing around with the GoPro Hero 5 attached to the EVO Gimbal I have finally found a sound platform....my hand.:facepalm:  I have tried various mounts attached to the ACM but there was always some degree of vibration that produced suboptimal video.  The gimbal works great as long as the base of support it is attached to is not shaky. The human body is designed to absorb vibration as it travels up the legs through the torso and into the arms and hands .Now the gimbal responds like it should....a smooth video even over rough terrain. At around 2:20 into the video you will see the ACM and my legs  bouncing over a patch of land that is filled with mole hills but the video remained very smooth. I'm thrilled! :clap3:

I have tried to use a wearable gimbal mounted to a chest plate, but it's just too much work, and the results are not worth it. Even with optical image stabilisation and the gimbal tightly strapped to the sternum, the seesaw effect and road bumps noticeably degrade the image quality. Consumer-grade motorised gimbals are too heavy and bulky to attach to the body or helmet, and for most use cases, not worth the expense and effort to carry by hand for amateur video. if you are just going to hold the camera anyway, why carry the gimbal which weighs more than the GoPro?

11 minutes ago, litewave said:

I have tried to use a wearable gimbal mounted to a chest plate, but it's just too much work, and the results are not worth it. Even with optical image stabilisation and the gimbal tightly strapped to the sternum, the seesaw effect and road bumps noticeably degrade the image quality. Consumer-grade motorised gimbals are too heavy and bulky to attach to the body or helmet, and for most use cases, not worth the expense and effort to carry by hand for amateur video. if you are just going to hold the camera anyway, why carry the gimbal which weighs more than the GoPro?

You might be right. @Marty Backe wants me to shot video with just the Gopro. I need to try that.

37 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

<snip> I have finally found a sound platform....my hand.:facepalm: <snip>

Hi @Rehab1, perfectly agree! Never had any luck with mounts to the wheel or fixtures to my body either. The results were barely watchable on a phone and made everybody dizzy when presented on the big screen.

Finally ended up with a handheld gimbal which stabilizes my phone (DJI osmo mobile and xiaomi mi5). Now I am happy with the results. Here's a raw little snipped from my tour with @RenaissanceMan down the Danube last weekend:

Now I just gotta figure a way to attach an external mike.

BTW: while the osmo mobile works fine with most phones, it's known to have issues with the iPhones optical stabilizer. Apparently the two like to fight each other :huh:

1 hour ago, Tilmann said:

Hi @Rehab1, perfectly agree! Never had any luck with mounts to the wheel or fixtures to my body either. The results were barely watchable on a phone and made everybody dizzy when presented on the big screen.

Finally ended up with a handheld gimbal which stabilizes my phone (DJI osmo mobile and xiaomi mi5). Now I am happy with the results. Here's a raw little snipped from my tour with @RenaissanceMan down the Danube last weekend:

Now I just gotta figure a way to attach an external mike.

BTW: while the osmo mobile works fine with most phones, it's known to have issues with the iPhones optical stabilizer. Apparently the two like to fight each other :huh:

Thanks! Beautiful snippet!  Dang....I was just relaxing watching the awesome scenery on your video and it was instantly over! You should definitely post some more of your videos! :)

3 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Super clear video, sharp with no jello, the colors are very bright.  Even the far away buildings across the water were sharp and clear.

Thanks @steve454! To carry on bragging, I'd like to add, that those far away buildings are actually in another country :efee612b4b:. We were riding relaxed on the Austrian side of the Danube looking at a village in Bavaria (Germany) across the river - where the EUC hostile cops live :crying:

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

You might be right. @Marty Backe wants me to shot video with just the Gopro. I need to try that.

Just the GoPro but with the built-in stabilization enabled. My Session 4 doesn't have stabilization so I'm curious how good it is in removing the vibrations from a wheel mount. Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

After almost a week of playing around with the GoPro Hero 5 attached to the EVO Gimbal I have finally found a sound platform....my hand.:facepalm:  I have tried various mounts attached to the ACM but there was always some degree of vibration that produced suboptimal video.  The gimbal works great as long as the base of support it is attached to is not shaky. The human body is designed to absorb vibration as it travels up the legs through the torso and into the arms and hands .Now the gimbal responds like it should....a smooth video even over rough terrain. At around 2:20 into the video you will see the ACM and my legs  bouncing over a patch of land that is filled with mole hills but the video remained very smooth. I'm thrilled! :clap3:I still need to work on the camera settings. Not sure why some shots appears to fade in and out.

The gimbal video sure is impressive.

What camera are you using? I may be wrong (or it's been a loooooooong time) but I don't think I've seen a video from you yet where it doesn't look like it was shot from a vga camcorder from the 80's :facepalm: Maybe you have a crappy Internet connection and have to always down-convert to vga??? Where's the 4k video, or at least 1080? I have standards you know ;)

Archived