Demon Flexmeter - Sizing and Proper Fit

5 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

@Marty Backe have you tried velcro-ing one of your inexpensive android phones to your Flexmeters?

No. But I have my Pebble watch Velcroed to the Flexmeter and it works great that was. The Pebble gives me all the info that I need (included text messaging).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Sorry I somehow missed that watching the video; anyway that's good to know.  I'm a bit conflicted about knee protectors and elbow protectors because I really haven't used them (Of course the stock response is "you will").   After watching your videos I did buy a pair of the Flexmeters from REI (~$60)... I bought the large based on the sizing table but if I need to maybe send it back and go for the medium; I seem to be about your size at least judging from the videos.   Wrist protectors and helmets are easy to put on, but the knee pads and elbow pads tend to be a bit more cumbersome.  Fortunately Chicago has colder weather most of the year and it easy for me to put on my motorcycle jacket.  The wrist projectors for me are essential because I spent so much time typing. These past two weeks I have been forced to use the dictation feature on my Apple Computer which definitely drops my efficiency.

I know what you mean about the knee and elbow pads. But it's psychological. If you actually measure how long it takes (I did, to get over the mental block), it's a couple of minutes. In the grand scheme, compared to your ride, that's nothing. Yet there's peace of mind when wearing them and the knee pads for sure have saved me lots of flesh.

1 hour ago, Gytis Navickas said:

I fond great discount for  US market of Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guards only for $40. Pity, that delivery is $35 to Europe 

https://www.rei.com/product/875616/demon-flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards

Yeah, that's a pitty...

For a Price of 40$ including Transport i would grab them, also!

5 hours ago, Gytis Navickas said:

I fond great discount for  US market of Demon Flexmeter Double-Sided Wrist Guards only for $40. Pity, that delivery is $35 to Europe 

https://www.rei.com/product/875616/demon-flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guards

That's where I bought mine. And that discount has been going on for a couple of months now.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:23 PM, WARPed1701D said:

So the large size Flexmeters arrived today and I think that is the size I am going to go with. There is significant difference between the length of medium vs large. More than I was expecting anyway. Width is also significantly wider with large but that doesn't seem to affect the comfort or fit considering my wrists are stick thin (the upper plate curves around the wrist when tightened so the width is largely irrelivant.

The official size guide only has you measure your middle finger to wrist pivot. Nothing to do with wrist circumference or anything like that. However, it does have footnotes that suggest medium size for adults with thin wrists and large for those with a beefier build. To me however you just need to go with the length measurement.

I was 19cm fingertip to wrist which is right at the cusp of the medium/large size. Initially I ordered medium based on those footnotes about thin wrists but my recommendation is that if you find yourself in the same size boundary predicament then just size up. Doing this puts the "flex zone" in the right place. I also noted that the mediums were uncomfortably pushing on the knobbly bone that pokes out the wrist at the pivot point on the upper outside part of your wrist. The larges do not do that for me. I suspect due to the different forward strap placement. The final observation was that the mediums seem to sit lopsided on the top of my hand with more coverage over towards my thumb and leaving much of the outside of my hand with nothing over it. Again the large size seemed/felt like it was more centrally placed over the top of the hand.

This is all just me feelings but I hope it helps someone looking to buy these.

In summary go by the fingertip to wrist measurement. Ignore the footnotes on wrist width. If you find yourself at the boundary of two sizes then go with the larger of the two.

On a side note the two sets of protectors I received had some minor design/packaging differences. I think the mediums are older while the larges are newer. For packaging the cardboard design is different. On the older medium guards the D3O blurb is a sticker that has been added. On the large it is part of the printed design making me think it is newer. The newer larges have a little D3O booklet while the older mediums just have a little info disc talking about D3O lite. The newer larges have the D30 symbol printed on the upper flex plate below the Flexmeter logo but more importantly though the skid plate on the newer large size has 3 circular bumps on it. Not sure what that is about but I'm guessing an improvement. I think the mediums were produced just after D3O was introduced into the design and the packaging hadn't caught up. 

Images below:

Medium guards are obviously the smaller ones in the comparison pictures. In top down images large's can be identified by the D3O logo printed on the upper flex plate. For the side images while fitted to my hand the large guards are the ones with the larger gap between the Velcro straps (thumb curved inward more). In the image with the skid plate shown the larges have the 3 bumps on the skid plate. 

WP_20170721_20_26_34_Pro.jpg

+

@WARPed1701D thank you for the sizing experience and instructions.  This is exactly what I needed to make a decision, as I think my hands are the same size as yours (19cm long).  I went with the large, which I think fit very well.

df1.JPG

df2.JPG

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

@WARPed1701D thank you for the sizing experience and instructions.  This is exactly what I needed to make a decision, as I think my hands are the same size as yours (19cm long).  I went with the large, which I think fit very well.

df1.JPG

df2.JPG

I'm glad it helped. Sizing is a real pain for me as I'm skinny and tall. I end up ordering multiple sizes and going through all kinds of grief. That's why I try to share stuff like this. Next up is the G Form body armor.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm glad it helped. Sizing is a real pain for me as I'm skinny and tall. I end up ordering multiple sizes and going through all kinds of grief. That's why I try to share stuff like this. Next up is the G Form body armor.

I'm very interested in your impressions of the G Form body armor.... I'll look for it.   Are you planning on reviewing the Pro X elbow and knee pads?

Edited by Chris Westland
  • Upvote 2

On 08/26/2017 at 10:18 PM, Chris Westland said:

I'm very interested in your impressions of the G Form body armor.... I'll look for it.   Are you planning on reviewing the Pro X elbow and knee pads?

I'm looking forward to reviewing them as soon as I get chance.

I ordered both pro x and elite elbow pads (again due to sizing complications, x small only available in pro x version). The pro x were thinner and a little more comfortable than the Elite version but the Elite offered much better coverage for the sides of the elbows, particularly the bony inner and outer parts. Plus the Elite pads are thicker so offered significantly better certified protection (European motorcycle rated) vs the pro x pads that are indoor sports rated (whatever that means). Final observation is the Elite pads have rubberized grip tape to and bottom of the tubes while the pro x version only had the tape at the top to prevent gravity from helping the pads slip down. I like that the Elite pads resist movement up and down the limb. These observations apply to the knee pads too.

The Elite knee pads are so comfortable I forget I have them on and despite their increased thickness they fit easily under my work trousers for my commute. The elbow pads also fit under my dress shirt but aren't quite as comfortable relatively speaking (compared to the pro x pads). For completeness I also ordered the hard plastic Protec pads like what Marty has but I sent them back in a matter of minutes. The G Form gear is a million times more comfortable and discrete for my commute.

If I had a complaint about the elbow pads it would be that when you are clammy they can be harder to remove. Being one handed and having them gripping the skin makes it more of a challenge but then I know they should remain in place if I fall. Fitting them with dry skin is not an issue.

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2017 at 9:15 PM, radial said:

I'm not thrilled with the Demon wrist guards.  They are super comfortable and I'm pretty sure the design concept is correct.  But mine are disintegrating.  The nylon mesh they use around the palm guards isn't strong enough.  It's yet another example of the triumph of poor execution over good design.  Buyer beware.

Same issue with mine.

8 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

That sounds ominous, I have no such problem on mine yet.

I purchased them from REI and they warranty them for a full year no questions asked. I will get a replacement pair.

If they fail again, I will just get a refund and use the hillbilly full finger wrist protectors.  I really like those and they are standing up to tough use.  I was concerned about the negative reviews about the hillbilly gloves bleeding black dye if you sweat in them, but so far no issue at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-Wrist-Guard-Gloves-Finger/dp/B0046F2EYU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1504107782&sr=8-15&keywords=skateboard+gloves

Edited by Pard
  • Upvote 2

I wear mine 7 days a week for at least an hour. I have had no problems other than the damage inflicted by myself from hard falls. The new replacement ones I got from warranty replacement have slightly better-designed skid plates that have the velcro surface integrated into the plate rather than on an adhesive sticky pad. This should prevent the problems of having the plate separate from the adhesive when you try (or fall) removing the plate. The nylon material seems identical but mine haven't given me problems so I haven't inspected it carefully.

• Upvote 3

As this thread was originally about confusing size guide I wonder if those with disintegration issues have a size too small for them and stressing the material? I very nearly kept the mediums but the large were a better fit. I had to order both to determine this though and even then it was a tough decision.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

As this thread was originally about confusing size guide I wonder if those with disintegration issues have a size too small for them and stressing the material?

I noticed that the material joining the two halves was very stretchy and weak looking, and the possibility of it it tearing would be due to the thumbnail cutting it.  So, even though I keep the thumbnail short, I take extra care putting them on.  Had them for about 2 months and no problems.  I like them, they seem very well made.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WARPed1701D said:

As this thread was originally about confusing size guide I wonder if those with disintegration issues have a size too small for them and stressing the material? I very nearly kept the mediums but the large were a better fit. I had to order both to determine this though and even then it was a tough decision.

Not in my case.  I'm wearing size L and they fit perfectly.  But the material they used to hold the splint sandwich together doesn't seem up to the task.  REI is replacing the pair I bought.  I'll keep on ordering replacements as they prematurely wear because I think the design of these wrist guards is excellent, but it would be nice if the manufacturer explored the possibility of using more durable materials.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, radial said:

Not in my case.  I'm wearing size L and they fit perfectly.  But the material they used to hold the splint sandwich together doesn't seem up to the task.  REI is replacing the pair I bought.  I'll keep on ordering replacements as they prematurely wear because I think the design of these wrist guards is excellent, but it would be nice if the manufacturer explored the possibility of using more durable materials.  

Fair enough. It was just a thought.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Debating these wrist guards or the 8 ball ones that are much cheaper.  At least I know to go with a large if I do decide on the Flexmeters.  Not psyched to hear about the premature deterioration on some pairs considering the price. 

Just another data point here - I continue to use mine on all of my rides and they show zero signs of premature wear. I love them and feel very secure with them on. I have not yet had a fall to test their effectiveness :cry2:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Debating these wrist guards or the 8 ball ones that are much cheaper.  At least I know to go with a large if I do decide on the Flexmeters.  Not psyched to hear about the premature deterioration on some pairs considering the price. 

No signs of problems with mine yet. 300km of use. Worn and removed twice a day on weekdays.

• Like 2