Demon Flexmeter - Sizing and Proper Fit

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

you can buy the <pebble> watches from Amazon.

Absolutely, my daughter bought one only a few weeks ago, she has found it brilliant at work when she cannot use her iPhone.

I still think it is the best smart watch around, I got really fed up with the battery life and unreadable display in sunlight on any others I tried. Just a huge shame I use an iPhone and my EUC only talks to Android so I cannot use the pebble app with my wheel ???. 

Having got rid of our landline, my habit of leaving the phone on silent or putting down in another room meant I was forever missing calls and messages - not since I got a pebble though ?

Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Keith said:

Absolutely, my daughter bought one only a few weeks ago, she has found it brilliant at work when she cannot use her iPhone.

I still think it is the best smart watch around, I got really fed up with the battery life and unreadable display in sunlight on any others I tried. Just a huge shame I use an iPhone and my EUC only talks to Android so I cannot use the pebble app with my wheel ???. 

Having got rid of our landline, my habit of leaving the phone on silent or putting down in another room meant I was forever missing calls and messages - not since I got a pebble though ?

I recommend that iPhone users purchase a cheap (~$30) Android phone that is dedicated for EUC usage. Multiple people have given me feedback that this works quite well. Then you can also use the Pebble watch (in conjunction with the WheelLog app).

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I recommend that iPhone users purchase a cheap (~$30) Android phone that is dedicated for EUC usage. Multiple people have given me feedback that this works quite well. Then you can also use the Pebble watch (in conjunction with the WheelLog app).

What $30 Android phone would that be?

23 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

One example that is known to work: LG K3  for ~$30 in the United States.

medium01.jpg

23 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

He is talking about phones we can get in the US at Walmart.  Tracfone has some cheap android phones, but I don't know if they are in Belgium.  Can you get a prepaid phone at one of those small stores that sell inexpensive goods, here they are called dollar stores.

I'm not thrilled with the Demon wrist guards.  They are super comfortable and I'm pretty sure the design concept is correct.  But mine are disintegrating.  The nylon mesh they use around the palm guards isn't strong enough.  It's yet another example of the triumph of poor execution over good design.  Buyer beware.

Edited by radial
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, radial said:

I'm not thrilled with the Demon wrist guards.  They are super comfortable and I'm pretty sure the design concept is correct.  But mine are disintegrating.  The nylon mesh they use around the palm guards isn't strong enough.  It's yet another example of the triumph of poor execution over good design.  Buyer beware.

Interesting, and not good to read.

I use mine for hours every week and they are still like new. Very comfy and no signs of wear. If they do fall apart I'll be sure to post something.

43 minutes ago, radial said:

Perhaps you could pursue a warranty claim?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Perhaps you could pursue a warranty claim?

I might.  It's very disappointing.  I want the Demon wrist guards to work, but they are to the point where the mesh cover is so shredded I suspect I'll start losing padding soon.  I wore my triple8 wrist guards today.  They might not be biomechanically optimal, but they aren't falling apart either.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, radial said:

I might.  It's very disappointing.  I want the Demon wrist guards to work, but they are to the point where the mesh cover is so shredded I suspect I'll start losing padding soon.  I wore my triple8 wrist guards today.  They might not be biomechanically optimal, but they aren't falling apart either.  

Based on @electricpen's experience, looks like they have good customer experience. I would talk to them and see what they say. Worse case they ignore you, best case you get a new pair. Yours sure seem to be wearing differently than mine. Bad batch???

• Upvote 1

Just sent this to the Fleximeter folks.  I'll report back on the outcome...

"Hi there.  I purchased a pair of your Flexmeter Wrist Guard Double Sided D3O wrist guards in July.  They are the most comfortable guards I've ever used, and I've used several other brands.  Unfortunately, this pair isn't holding up very well.  The fabric sleeve holding the splint in place is coming undone.  I don't know whether the fabric isn't strong enough for daily use, or if this pair is part of a bad batch or what, but I'm concerned that the splints are not going to work as designed if they are no longer held securely in place.  I really want these to work and I've been touting them to my friends in the electric unicycling community.  Any chance you could send me a replacement pair in size L or offer a discount if I have to buy another set?"

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I'm trying to work out why these seem to be so much cheaper over here in the UK.

Normally by the time you add 20%VAT and import duties most things cost at least the same amount in UK £s as US $s yet I can get them for £40.99 from:

http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/10-flexmeter-wrist-guards-plus.html

It is possible those are the slightly older model without the D30. It's also possible its just a good deal, you can definitely get them cheaper than from the main demon website even in the states.

40 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

I'm trying to work out why these seem to be so much cheaper over here in the UK.

Normally by the time you add 20%VAT and import duties most things cost at least the same amount in UK £s as US $s yet I can get them for £40.99 from:

In the states I found a store that was selling them for ~$60. Amazon normally sells them for ~$85.  So I think your £40.99 cost is reasonable.

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In the states I found a store that was selling them for ~$60. Amazon normally sells them for ~$85.  So I think your £40.99 cost is reasonable.

Yes it works out at just under $53 at todays exchange rate, but as I said normally you have to add 20%VAT at the very least to everything that finds it's way to the UK.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Those look pretty solid.

I have skateboarding wrist protectors, but they don't have the plastic on top to limit the overstretching of the wrist (at least I think that's what it does), only plastic on the inside.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Those look pretty solid.

I have skateboarding wrist protectors, but they don't have the plastic on top to limit the overstretching of the wrist (at least I think that's what it does), only plastic on the inside.

Watch this video segment if you want to see them being worn:

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

@Marty Backe what type of pads are you wearing on you elbows? ... do you find these necessary (e.g., have you fallen on your elbows?)

That's funny - the video that I just posted above listed all my gear. They are the Pro-tec knee and elbow pads. They are scratched up, so I suspect that they have saved my elbows some level of damage. I certainly feel good about wearing them, but YMMV.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's funny - the video that I just posted above listed all my gear. They are the Pro-tec knee and elbow pads. They are scratched up, so I suspect that they have saved my elbows some level of damage. I certainly feel good about wearing them, but YMMV.

36291702610_bfe30058fa_b.jpg

:laughbounce2:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sorry I somehow missed that watching the video; anyway that's good to know.  I'm a bit conflicted about knee protectors and elbow protectors because I really haven't used them (Of course the stock response is "you will").   After watching your videos I did buy a pair of the Flexmeters from REI (~$60)... I bought the large based on the sizing table but if I need to maybe send it back and go for the medium; I seem to be about your size at least judging from the videos.   Wrist protectors and helmets are easy to put on, but the knee pads and elbow pads tend to be a bit more cumbersome.  Fortunately Chicago has colder weather most of the year and it easy for me to put on my motorcycle jacket.  The wrist projectors for me are essential because I spent so much time typing. These past two weeks I have been forced to use the dictation feature on my Apple Computer which definitely drops my efficiency.

• Upvote 2