First ride

Catlord17

2 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Looks familiar.

i got about 2200 ft of driveway. in the 4x4  one ton dooley, i just try to drive over as much as i can. went out monday at noon because i ran out of coffee. couldn't find any. came home switched to green tea. better for me anyway. i see some of my fb friends in tampa still don't have power and mine never went off, so i'm not bitching.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing a distance test.  Charged from 100%, and with 167 miles on the wheel, I'm now down to 68% at 188 miles.  That means I am using a little more than 1.52% per mile during this test right now.  That comes out to a projected 65.78 miles.  I am not sure the tire is pumped up to full, but that's not quite what I was looking for...

Now at 198 miles and 57% battery left, meaning I have done 31 miles on 43% battery.  This extrapolates to just over 72 miles per charge so far, but it may be even better than that because every time I turn it off and let it rest a little while, the charge jumps 3 to 5% when I turn it back on again.

I can now accelerate uphill and do minor carving at will at speed to avoid obstacles.  Just rode it from my house to my girlfriend's house, about 2.97 miles South, and then 6.3 miles North to IHOP, and then 2.59 miles from IHOP home.  Walked into IHOP during bar rush wearing full gear and only got one comment... nobody else cared.

I also think I am starting to get a minor fan club of sorts, as I have people coming up to me slightly in awe saying things like, "I think I saw you out on ______, was that you?"  Very amusing.

I am also discovering secret back ways and shortcuts that let me avoid sidewalks, crosswalks and traffic while maintaining speeds of 18 mph+.  Sweet.  More and more this thing is becoming my favored form of transport.

You didn't go through the drive through on your wheel then?

Some years ago (way before the invention of EUC's) I went from my then girlfriends house in New Jersy to McD's on in line skates. They were such a pain in the butt to get on and off so I just got in the drive through que with the cars. They guy at the drive thro window laughed, guy behind me in the que didn't see the funny side tho. 

3 hours ago, nute said:

You didn't go through the drive through on your wheel then?

Some years ago (way before the invention of EUC's) I went from my then girlfriends house in New Jersy to McD's on in line skates. They were such a pain in the butt to get on and off so I just got in the drive through que with the cars. They guy at the drive thro window laughed, guy behind me in the que didn't see the funny side tho. 

I personally hate drive-throughs, and I don't know why... but I will never go through one willingly.  It would also not be something I would trust anyone around here driving a car with my safety for.  Especially since the hurricane.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

@Catlord17 are you using the standard charger that came with your wheel and not charging to 80% or whatever it is, to gain more charge cycles or battery pack longevity, ie charge doctor thing?

I'm using the fast 5 amp charger that came with the wheel when I purchased it.  Most of the time I charge it to 80% and recharge at 20%.  But for a max range test, 100% it is.  The fast charger can be set to charge at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 amps, and to a maximum of 80, 90 or 100%.

Well so far on my distributed run distance test, I have gone 49 miles and have 35% battery left.  This extrapolates to a potential distance of a little over 75 miles from 100% to 0%, 60 miles from 100% to 20%, and 45 miles per charge if I charge it to 80% and discharge to 20%.

You can extrapolate, but only to 20% (when the beeping starts to appear). After that, the battery goes down very quickly.

In good weather, I get almost 1 km per % battery, but the last 20% aren't good for close to 20 km, but 5 km max.

Though maybe, you with your magic wheel, you'll get 75 miles;)

On 9/22/2017 at 6:55 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

You can extrapolate, but only to 20% (when the beeping starts to appear). After that, the battery goes down very quickly.

In good weather, I get almost 1 km per % battery, but the last 20% aren't good for close to 20 km, but 5 km max.

Though maybe, you with your magic wheel, you'll get 75 miles;)

Probably not, lol.  Based on what you say being what I was noticing, and the fact that that beeping?  "Ain't nobody got time fadat!"  Plus, that extrapolation was to 0% battery, which we all know isn't going to happen.  So I'll estimate a maximum rage of about 67 to 70 miles, if I was forced to ride through all that beeping.

But, you also have to factor in that during that test:

• I rode at high speed for about half the time,
  • I rode over some big bridges a few times (effortlessly accelerating uphill is a strangely thrilling activity!),
  • The recent hurricanes mean I was getting some pretty heavy wind resistance at times, low speed or not,
  • I was at times practicing riding in the grass, and
  • I ride mostly at night, with the light on all the time.

Given that, I would say that under more nominal conditions that I would typically encounter during just riding around my city, 70 miles per charge is probably reasonable to expect from 100% to 20%.

Archived