Aspects of Riding to Practice

5 hours ago, Goodman said:

I can do this already, I am currently practising holding one on each side :)

I speak for all the forum members. "Please share a photo!!!" :)

8 hours ago, Goodman said:

I can do this already, I am currently practising holding one on each side :)

@Rehab1 can speak for the forum...I'll speak for myself.....It's polite to share. I'll take the surplus shoulder ornament. Will PM my address. Thanks in advance. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2017 at 9:48 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

12.  Riding on one leg.  Can people do this riding straight, or is it always in a circle?

A straight line is possible and also circling in the opposite than "natural" direction. I don't find one leg riding particularly enjoyable and it's not on my list of important safety skills, therefore I don't train it regularly, but one can catch these on youtube, e.g.

(which also shows how to not brake). And I just looked at those:

I would add emergency braking on a downward slope as another quite useful skill to acquire.

Talking about practicing small turns, these are traces mainly from idling +/-180º turns:

circles-1.thumb.jpg.e521b99fe0be725220a8c79a050e7c99.jpg

These are traces from todays slalom practice, mainly from the forward paths:

circles-2.thumb.jpg.c67a0651a6f9bd5593935d58b55d66bf.jpg

Backwards slalom isn't yet dynamic enough to produce traces, but I am getting there :P

I noticed one other thing I need to practice and that is stopping while on a slight downhill slope.  I wonder how people who ride in San Francisco do it.  Say you're going downhill and you need to dismount, how do you control the wheel with one foot?  I know you need to maintain level pressure on it so it doesn't want to move, but I've always found that tricky for some reason.  Gravity will want to naturally guide it downhill.  Maybe applying more backwards pressure on the one pedal after dismounting is the key...

If it is a steeper climb ending up sideways with the wheel on the downhill side (like in skiing) is probably the method of choice. The only problem is that this often half-folds the uphill pedal, which makes driving on kind-of tricky. It's true, mounting on a downhill path isn't that simple at all. That goes on my practicing list right away.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I noticed one other thing I need to practice and that is stopping while on a slight downhill slope.  I wonder how people who ride in San Francisco do it.  Say you're going downhill and you need to dismount, how do you control the wheel with one foot?  I know you need to maintain level pressure on it so it doesn't want to move, but I've always found that tricky for some reason.  Gravity will want to naturally guide it downhill.  Maybe applying more backwards pressure on the one pedal after dismounting is the key...

Exactly right, said this person from San Francisco. A bit of pressure on the back of the heel will keep the wheel from rolling forward while you're stopped on a down slope. I will say this, it's a lot easier to stop on a downhill than it is to get going on an uphill, one of my least favorite things to have to do on a wheel. 

4 minutes ago, who_the said:

Exactly right, said this person from San Francisco. A bit of pressure on the back of the heel will keep the wheel from rolling forward while you're stopped. I will say this, it's a lot easier to stop on a downhill than it is to get going on an uphill, one of my least favorite things to have to do on a wheel. 

Is running a few quick circles a good way to either decrease momentum going downhill or build it up for going up hills?

Riding circles on a slope is also something to practice as the contact point on the wheel shifts to the sides, front and back as @Stan Onymous can likely attest to.  It's a  weird feeling as you're technically doing the same thing as on level ground,  but your movements need to change with the angle of the slope as you move plus the contact point is changing quite a bit.  After practicing some parabola sweeps up and down a slight incline you can a better feeling for it.

13 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Riding circles on a slope is also something to practice as the contact point on the wheel shifts

I am already thinking it through in my mind ....        Now.

wonder if itll turn out more square-ish. I will ty to film it.

It took me months to be able to make tiny turns, and I used to have too much weight and pressure on the inside leg and knee. It took months. Interestingly, once I figured out how to put most of my weight on the outside leg while doing tiny turns I was able to ride one-footed doing <near> spins.

Really, doing turns and going forward only is all I can do. Maybe some backwards for very short distances. But really just forward. That's it.

It makes you realize just how talented, and how much work @Hirsute put in.

Tuesday I put my two 14 inch wheels together and stepped on them both...and stepped right off. I didn't even attempt moving on them though that was my intent. Only when I got on them did I realize I didn't have a clue how this would work. It was beyond my comprehension. 

17 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Riding circles on a slope is also something to practice as the contact point on the wheel shifts to the sides, front and back as @Stan Onymous can likely attest to.  It's a  weird feeling as you're technically doing the same thing as on level ground,  but your movements need to change with the angle of the slope as you move plus the contact point is changing quite a bit.  After practicing some parabola sweeps up and down a slight incline you can a better feeling for it.

That's something I never thought of but am going to do tomorrow.  I bet it really trains the muscle memory in new ways, especially if you vary the size of the circles and the slope and the speed.  There is a wide bike trail that goes down to an ampitheater at the park I can use.  I need to find a really wide slope though.

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

That's something I never thought of but am going to do tomorrow.  I bet it really trains the muscle memory in new ways, especially if you vary the size of the circles and the slope and the speed.  There is a wide bike trail that goes down to an ampitheater at the park I can use.  I need to find a really wide slope though.

Sounds like a job for a parking lot!  At least, I recall seeing so many sloped ones ...

3 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Sounds like a job for a parking lot!  At least, I recall seeing so many sloped ones ...

I've been practicing circles on a slope for a while now.  I live on a street called Chrisman Hill Drive, so the opportunity is basically right there at my doorstep.  If all you've been doing is turning on flat surfaces, you are in for a treat when you move to a sloped surface. It's not really all that hard, but the dynamics are definitely different, so it's wise to take things slow in the beginning.  I was happy to do a simple circle at first.  Then I graduated to figure 8s.  Now I'm doing figure 8s with an extra loop tacked on at the end.  I'm much more comfortable now on slopes, and that's a good thing in my immediate neighborhood where it's all up and down.  

On 7/17/2017 at 1:10 PM, Rehab1 said:

This trick is high on my priority list!

stz0rpD.jpg

Fun untiil you faceplant doing this. I'd like to carry my children on EUC, I think I pretty much can do this, but in case of fall - we're screwed. Also, that is likely to be overweight for the wheel.

4 hours ago, radial said:

I've been practicing circles on a slope for a while now.  I live on a street called Chrisman Hill Drive, so the opportunity is basically right there at my doorstep.  If all you've been doing is turning on flat surfaces, you are in for a treat when you move to a sloped surface. It's not really all that hard, but the dynamics are definitely different, so it's wise to take things slow in the beginning.  I was happy to do a simple circle at first.  Then I graduated to figure 8s.  Now I'm doing figure 8s with an extra loop tacked on at the end.  I'm much more comfortable now on slopes, and that's a good thing in my immediate neighborhood where it's all up and down.  

I'm going to have to do something like this too since it's all hills where I live.  It does sound like a way of practicing that will teach you a lot, and fairly quickly.

2 hours ago, ubertoad said:

Fun untiil you faceplant doing this. I'd like to carry my children on EUC, I think I pretty much can do this, but in case of fall - we're screwed. Also, that is likely to be overweight for the wheel.

Unfortunately @Sidestreet Reny encountered that very scenario last year carrying is girlfriend on his shoulders! 

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately @Sidestreet Reny encountered that very scenario last year carrying is girlfriend on his shoulders! 

I overpowered an EUC on a steep hill, late at night and I think the battery was low too! I was definitely stupid! I'm 145lb and my girl is 100lb so that might be allot for an EUC named "Invisible gaseous substance surrounding the earth - Circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle - X#" Lol. ^_^ Also she was on my back, not on 1 shoulder (safer) and I was on concrete...not grass.

If you do it, PLEASE be careful folks!  

Archived