Took the new 2400wh Monster out for the Saturday morning "garage sale" ride.Did a total of 23 miles on all paved surfaces.Near the end of my ride,I went to the top of a local street that goes up to the base of the foothills above where I live.It was about 3 miles to the top of the road and goes from a 5% grade up to about 20% at the top.When I got about 500ft short of the very top,the Monster hit the 79C temp and went into the "Gotway" overheat mode where it beeps and slowly rocks back and forth until it gets down to 78C.I guess even 2 internal cooling fans have their limits.:crying:

2 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Took the new 2400wh Monster out for the Saturday morning "garage sale" ride.Did a total of 23 miles on all paved surfaces.Near the end of my ride,I went to the top of a local street that goes up to the base of the foothills above where I live.It was about 3 miles to the top of the road and goes from a 5% grade up to about 20% at the top.When I got about 500ft short of the very top,the Monster hit the 79C temp and went into the "Gotway" overheat mode where it beeps and slowly rocks back and forth until it gets down to 78C.I guess even 2 internal cooling fans have their limits.:crying:

I personall think this tiny 2x40mm fans do nothing at all for cooling! As they are working in a close environment and just shifting some hot air around! to generate some blast by pushing air they are just to small! If the monster is heating to fast, i would try to optimize it by giving the shell a hole to get some fresh air!

When i modified my old KS18A, and put some fans on top of the closed board box, the fans itself are not even needed any more :-) Just that i gave the hot air an ability to escape, that holes alone pushed down the temperature about 10-15degree Celsius. the fans just top that up another 5-10degree!

3 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I personall think this tiny 2x40mm fans do nothing at all for cooling! As they are working in a close environment and just shifting some hot air around! to generate some blast by pushing air they are just to small! If the monster is heating to fast, i would try to optimize it by giving the shell a hole to get some fresh air!

When i modified my old KS18A, and put some fans on top of the closed board box, the fans itself are not even needed any more :-) Just that i gave the hot air an ability to escape, that holes alone pushed down the temperature about 10-15degree Celsius. the fans just top that up another 5-10degree!

where did you put the holes?

11 minutes ago, kour said:

where did you put the holes?

On the Ks18a? on top! KS has copied that method in there newer versions :-)

or you mean the monster? i would try to find a way to give it better air circulation, perhaps some mesh protected holes in front and back side!

Like @Rehab1 did on his ACM!

Congratulations on the nice new wheel!

I'm pretty sure the overheating warning saved you from melting motor wire insulation. Just like when @Marty Backe's ACM died at the same time @Sven's Monster going along with him simply overheated and tiltbacked.

3 miles ending with 20% is a loooooot of incline (Are you sure? There should be signage on such steep roads...) and also you're a heavier rider.

57 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I agree! The closed compartment is sealed to prevent moisture infiltration so just the opposite applies---> heat cannot escape!  Hopefully my ACM with the external fan and air intakes will diminish the trapped heat. It is still in the testing stage but I should have some results soon.kQca9tl.jpg

3 hours ago, jrkline said:

Yep, it's already been established that the Monster overheats. So much for "Gotway wheels never overheat". Since it runs about 10 degrees C hotter than the ACM and MSuper it makes perfect sense that it does.

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I'm hesitant to say this, knowing Gotway, but I would assume they determined that the fans did help after some experimentation.

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm hesitant to say this, knowing Gotway, but I would assume they determined that the fans did help after some experimentation.

I was thinking about upgrading fans in my monster to a top of the line pc fans but after reading this, maybe i should make a... precisely thoughtout air vent to let fresh air in but to block the moisture lol

Since we don't have to worry about rain where we ride. adding venting in the case might not be a bad idea.

I would NOT change anything about the fans. The (lacking in effectiveness) fans created overheating instead of possibly fried electronics and saved the wheel (my guess). If you add better fans or better venting, aren't you removing the one warning method there is on inclines? Wheel stays cool longer and has time to melt some cables. And you wish you'd just had an overheat warning instead of needing a new motor and board.

--

Also, I have to say I'm a huge fan (no pun intended) of Gotway's fanless design (except Monster). Nothing worse than fan noise when there is an alternative (aka passive cooling). Wheels should be silent, not have a whizzing fan inside like an old dusty computer (where I acquired my hate of fans).

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wheels should be silent, not have a whizzing fan inside like an old dusty computer (where I acquired my hate of fans).

This is one of the issues I'm having with my monster. Noise from stock fan is quite loud. I doubt that the gotway would proactively put powerful and quiet fans for its customers. And that's why I've been wanting to change them myself lol

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Since we don't have to worry about rain where we ride. adding venting in the case might not be a bad idea.

I'm going to discuss this with @Jason McNeil and see if he know the best spot to make holes. Rain is not our concern but the small puddles can be or that river crossing we did last time :)

53 minutes ago, Sven said:

This is one of the issues I'm having with my monster. Noise from stock fan is quite loud.

Isn't the fan temperature controlled?

I installed a fan together with a temperature switch which will turn on the fan at 50C and turn off at about 35C.
IMG_20170313_switch.jpg.368a0f1afa397a0ed8df2ae22821ae2e.jpg

Just now, zlymex said:

Isn't the fan temperature controlled?

I installed a fan together with a temperature switch which will turn on the fan at 50C and turn off at about 35C.
IMG_20170313_switch.jpg.368a0f1afa397a0ed8df2ae22821ae2e.jpg

Yes, but on the Monster Gotway turns on the fans at 43 degrees. So they are basically running all the time :(

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Congratulations on the nice new wheel!

I'm pretty sure the overheating warning saved you from melting motor wire insulation. Just like when @Marty Backe's ACM died at the same time @Sven's Monster going along with him simply overheated and tiltbacked.

3 miles ending with 20% is a loooooot of incline (Are you sure? There should be signage on such steep roads...) and also you're a heavier rider.

I checked the angle with the phone app (21.2) degree incline.Before I ride the wheel again I'm going to do an inspection of the motor wiring.I may also ride up the same street without the side cover on,or only held in place with a couple of screws so I can easily remove it at the top of the street and get and infrared pic of the interior to see just how hot the motor wiring etc. is getting.

2 hours ago, jrkline said:

I checked the angle with the phone app (21.2) degree incline.Before I ride the wheel again I'm going to do an inspection of the motor wiring.I may also ride up the same street without the side cover on,or only held in place with a couple of screws so I can easily remove it at the top of the street and get and infrared pic of the interior to see just how hot the motor wiring etc. is getting.

That would be very cool - infrared imaging of the wiring harness to see where all the hot and cooler spots are.

So... after today's Chino hills ride with @Marty Backe one of the heavy parts were jerking inside when i move back and forth with my hands. It could be either the motor or.. i don't know, battery maybe? 

So when I got home, i tore down my monster completely. (Getting to the fan was a plus since i was going to replace them with top of the line pc fans!!) and... i could replicate the jerking motion from the motor.

@Marty Backe suspected it could be from the loosen axel nuts. Both sides seemed pretty tight when touched the nuts but I'm going to buy the right size wrench tomorrow and try tightening the axels. hopefully that fixes the problem. 

Sorry, No photos... my phone's out of battery lol

to be continued 

1 minute ago, Sven said:

So... after today's Chino hills ride with @Marty Backe one of the heavy parts were jerking inside when i move back and forth with my hands. It could be either the motor or.. i don't know, battery maybe? 

So when I got home, i tore down my monster completely. (Getting to the fan was a plus since i was going to replace them with top of the line pc fans!!) and... i could replicate the jerking motion from the motor.

@Marty Backe suspected it could be from the loosen axel nuts. Both sides seemed pretty tight when touched the nuts but I'm going to buy the right size wrench tomorrow and try tightening the axels. hopefully that fixes the problem. 

Sorry, No photos... my phone's out of battery lol

to be continued 

Wow, you dove right in! I guess this means that switching to Hard Mode hard no effect. Bummer :(

Archived