No riding on the strand in Hermosa Beach

abinder3

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I was there. He didn't know what our wheels were or that we had been there before. You give them too much much credit.

If you lived in Germany I gather that you wouldn't ride at all because they are illegal there. Yet that doesn't stop a bunch of law breakers from still enjoying their wheels.

I clearly don't get it. Yes, I'm special and can do anything I want.

Relax Allen. Don't over-analyze the situation. Apply common sense for riding around people and enjoy the ride.

Here's the balancing act. All it takes is one incident of someone upsetting a policeman or even a pedestrian to the point where they complain to the law and then we're screwed in that area. Several times we've heard of people riding in areas where the law is ambiguous about EUCs and attracting attention from the law. What do you do then? If you meet the same officer the next time they are unlikely to be sympathetic. 

For Hermosa Beach in particular the law I quoted above seems pretty clear to me. You're not even allowed to walk or carry a motorized bicycle or EUC on the Strand. Ride it there if you want but there isn't much you could argue about it being okay.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Just the act of 'pushing it' is being obnoxious when you know that they don't want us to ride them there.  This act could very well make them over react and put a law in the books banning us from riding EUCs on the bike path all together.

I don't want to make things worse or go against your basic intent, but feel it's fair to comment that police and security are not legislators.  Except in that "on the fly" fashion that Marty talks about, which bespeaks laziness or overreaching on their part at least some of the time, I think it's fair to say.

If we are worried about laws being put in place, we should be talking to legislators, not cops.  And ride safely and be courteous with pedestrian and other vehicle riders.

Is a miffed cop or 50 of them really going to have an effect on legislation?  I find it easy to believe that one could have an effect on my head by leaving a dent in it, and influence other riders through a concerted campaign of harassment and intimidation.  Right there on the ground, they're a big deal because they have so much potential to do harm and be petty or unscrupulous.  That I can see ... which is a sort of de facto legislation of its own.  But I don't think cops opinions and attitudes are going to have any effect on legislation of this type otherwise.

Guys...slow down....

Thats that easy: everyone is responsible for his own actions!

If i would listen to what 90% of Germans think of how to interpret the law...i would not be allowed to drive at all!!!

But: Unless it is clearly said by law, that it is forbidden to drive my EUC...i will do it! Today- there are even some Professors report, that an EUC is not coverd by law until now...so i am in a "grey zone"!

And: Who am i ---- to tell somone else, what to do???

I take the risk to get an "criminal charge"....and if someone dont want to...he is not driving...easy!

If someone wants to take the risk....totally Ok at all!

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

I've never seen one on the Strand.

I see at least 2-3 booster boards every time i visit Hermosa, round trip to and from santa monica. Maybe more, but i really can't tell unless i'm right behind them and they are going below 5-10mph. Take a closer look when you are out there next time. ;) 

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Here's the balancing act.

If you can do a balancing act, you're golden, no cop will object.  They will just wave you on, and be a little bit happier that day.  Like everyone says, just look like you have skills and no one will object.  Except for the policeman that thinks that you think that you are better than him.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Sven said:

I see at least 2-3 booster boards every time i visit Hermosa, round trip to and from santa monica. Maybe more, but i really can't tell unless i'm right behind them and they are going below 5-10mph. Take a closer look when you are out there next time. ;) 

I have looked for them up until now and have never seen them.  Maybe they aren't there before 9am. 

3 hours ago, dmethvin said:

Here's the balancing act. All it takes is one incident of someone upsetting a policeman or even a pedestrian to the point where they complain to the law and then we're screwed in that area. Several times we've heard of people riding in areas where the law is ambiguous about EUCs and attracting attention from the law. What do you do then? If you meet the same officer the next time they are unlikely to be sympathetic. 

For Hermosa Beach in particular the law I quoted above seems pretty clear to me. You're not even allowed to walk or carry a motorized bicycle or EUC on the Strand. Ride it there if you want but there isn't much you could argue about it being okay.

Well said. 

Maybe that's the problem. The beach trails are comparatively empty so early in the morning that you are drawing too much attention to yourself. You need to ride later in the day so that you blend in with all the other California 'freaks' that the tourists watch for entertainment :laughbounce2:

I can't imagine a skateboard rider being out of bed before 9am let alone riding the beach ;)

4 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

I have looked for them up until now and have never seen them.  Maybe they aren't there before 9am. 

I saw one guy on a longboard flying down the bike path, kicking and going at least 8-10 mph.  I thought he was getting a good workout, now I wonder if that was a boosted board and he was hiding it.

9 hours ago, abinder3 said:

You just seem to like to 'push it' where you know they say we aren't suppose to ride. Why ?

Riding attitudes like that are going to start getting us banned from places that we can now rides. Is it really worth it ?

I have been fortunate so far to have no one, police or otherwise, complain about where I am riding or prohibit me from riding in a given location. However, there is a place I enjoyed riding that had several signs around the area saying "No bikes or skateboards." Admittedly a EUC is not a bike or skateboard, but it's in the same general category. Well, I had been riding around there as much as I wanted, and many people saw me and never said anything to me, but suddenly I realized, at best I am not being a good EUC ambassador by riding here, and at worst I could be confronted by police, security, or even a passerby. I decided it just showed a bad attitude to ride around where such signs were posted, so I stopped.

7 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Seriously??????

You tell me to apply common sense when you obviously refuse to "apply common sense" when it comes to riding on the Strand ?

I'm just telling you that your actions may very well hurt it for everyone else in the future.

(I sure hope that you don't ever get a 'drone'.  I'd hate to see what your "pushing it" will mean then as well.)

Dude,quit being a snowflake.:crying:There are way too many of them in this nanny state already.If @Marty Backe wants to "push it" a little,that's his business.There are not enough local EUC riders to really concern most cops.And if they do start to notice,they will issue the outlaw EUC riders such as myself or that troublemaker @Marty Backe a citation.Case closed.

7 hours ago, jrkline said:

Dude,quit being a snowflake.:crying:There are way too many of them in this nanny state already.If @Marty Backe wants to "push it" a little,that's his business.There are not enough local EUC riders to really concern most cops.And if they do start to notice,they will issue the outlaw EUC riders such as myself or that troublemaker @Marty Backe a citation.Case closed.

Dude, I'm not being a snowflake. 

I just takes one mess up as someone pointed out earlier to ruin it for everyone. 

Why push it and take a chance when it can easily be avoided ? It isn't as if it keeps someone from being able to continue on a bike path down to Torrance Beach. 

Now case is closed. 

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe that's the problem. The beach trails are comparatively empty so early in the morning that you are drawing too much attention to yourself. You need to ride later in the day so that you blend in with all the other California 'freaks' that the tourists watch for entertainment :laughbounce2:

I can't imagine a skateboard rider being out of bed before 9am let alone riding the beach ;)

All the more reason not to be on the Strand when there's even more people there.  

As was pointed out, it only takes one bad thing to happen.  Imagine if your EUC cut out on you like it did before when you were around a bunch of people walking there.  With it being said that we're not suppose to be riding there, it would really draw a negative reaction to the EUCs. 

(Yea, yea. I know. Marty never has an accident on his EUC. ?)

And yes, I see plenty of regular skateboarders before 9am. 

This thread is opening up an important discussion on best ways to and not to improve relationships with authorities and influence regulations but is taking a decidedly negative turn. Can the name calling and derogatory comments just stop and the discussion return to the matter at hand. I think it is an important one and we can all share views without regressing to our childhood.

Yeah let's just avoid being meanies. Y'all can do whatever you want on Hermosa Beach. Just try to be nice.

Just realize that you may be the first EUC rider people have ever seen. When I'm riding on the sidewalk, even a wide one, I try to slow down when passing pedestrians. Still, many of them get off the sidewalk completely when they see me because they have no idea what kind of "clearance" an EUC rider needs. In reality an experienced rider should be able to get by them in the same space as a walker, but they don't know that!

When a crowd has dogs or kids I generally try to get completely off the path just in case there are any sudden moves. 

25 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Yeah let's just avoid being meanies. Y'all can do whatever you want on Hermosa Beach. Just try to be nice.

Just realize that you may be the first EUC rider people have ever seen. When I'm riding on the sidewalk, even a wide one, I try to slow down when passing pedestrians. Still, many of them get off the sidewalk completely when they see me because they have no idea what kind of "clearance" an EUC rider needs. In reality an experienced rider should be able to get by them in the same space as a walker, but they don't know that!

When a crowd has dogs or kids I generally try to get completely off the path just in case there are any sudden moves. 

You probably wouldn't ride Venice Beach than

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You probably wouldn't ride Venice Beach than

That's a W I D E path though. All the paths I tend to ride are maybe 8 feet wide at most, and if there are 4 people or 2 people and a dog they will follow Dave's Law of Pedestrian Distribution and completely fill the walk from edge to edge.

IMG_20150711_140647.jpg

12 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

That's a W I D E path though. All the paths I tend to ride are maybe 8 feet wide at most, and if there are 4 people or 2 people and a dog they will follow Dave's Law of Pedestrian Distribution and completely fill the walk from edge to edge.

IMG_20150711_140647.jpg

Yeah, that's a perfect picture, and I like your law :thumbup:  Even one person can somehow manage to block the entire path sometimes.

I always try and remember that I was a pedestrian once and therefore don't get upset :)

14 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I would honestly just go around them in the grass. 

Yep, that's what I did in this case. The grass is low and you can see it's not bumpy. However, once I tried going into some long grass and I ran into a relative of the sinkhole that swallowed two houses in Florida.

Archived