Strange oscillation in GT16

Scatcat

On 10/6/2018 at 9:12 PM, MANNA GT16 RM said:

Hi guys,
at 1800km I also find myself with this problem of the wheel that goes crazy as soon as you jump a sidewalk or you take a series of important holes. I do not like it and it's dangerous ... already I'm cracked a rib falling to 30kmh so I would not find myself face down on the ground because of this flicker.
What's the fault of what is imputed? to the broken motherboard or washer that goes its rotor?
Thank you

Same problem for me today, after near 2000 km on my GT16 with no problem before :(

What has been your solution, some monthes later?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I think there is no solution and it's firmware related. The "solution" is to adapt your riding style to the wheel.

Well, this suppose that I can put my feet on a shaking wheel, and ride it this way, and with not too much fear.

That is not the case, now ! And the adaptability of a 71 years old man is not the same than long time ago...

17 hours ago, sbouju said:

... after near 2000 km on my GT16 with no problem before... 

I'm not sure - but I Do not think this is only firmware-related. If so, this problem had to be present from the beginning - and not after 2000km.

If it is the v1 motor, it could be that washer thing. Otherwise I would check if the motherboard sits tight in it's compartment and if the pedal-holders are really, really tight - when the upper part with the two screws is bent, it's possible that the pedalarm is weak on impact even if it does not seem to be loose.

Of course it's possible, too that the motherboard is kind of "worn off" after 2000km's (heated components, many amperes, weak solderpoints).

A new one is around €90 on Aliexpress - I just bought one (only for the case) to be equipped ...

2 hours ago, Inductores said:

Can you please share the link? Thanks!

trade.aliexpress.com_2019-02-27_18-56-23.png.a1a6f455a0e2ee829241f1312fa630eb.png

I ordered 2pcs from rockwheel-store. It seems they removed the item (after I ordered) as they had the same controller on the spareparts section for $250,- ... sorry.

The next cheaper one I found is for $160,- www.aliexpress.com/item/ROCKWHEEL-GT16-All-parts-accessories... from 'green and fashion travaling shop'

On 2/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, sbouju said:

Well, this suppose that I can put my feet on a shaking wheel, and ride it this way, and with not too much fear.

That is not the case, now ! And the adaptability of a 71 years old man is not the same than long time ago...

I had it happen again a few days later. Just rode of a curb at low speed and it started shaking back and forward, while beeping, for about 10 seconds. I just stayed on an rode it out. I didn't do anything  special or violent, just rode of a not too high curb.

If there are any real "design faults" in the GT16, the first is probably is the controller board compartment. It is too hard to disassemble, it has a funnel for air that can let water in, and it only uses two rather flimsy screws to secure the actual controller board to the base. The controller in turn uses far too diminutive wiring to connect to batteries and motor.

The second is the connection between pedal arms and shaft. With a locking bar above and the main arm below the shaft, you depend on a quarter to less than half an inch of aluminium for each of the two screws to carry your weight. Cracks in the top of the screw holes on the locking arm is not uncommon, and while they don't necessarily mean catastrophic failure, they are still a weak point. And even small deformation or crack can make the arm wiggle loose just a bit, which is plenty for creating oscillations.

A loose controller board OTOH can also be responsible for oscillations, and wear and tear will of course be much worse if the electronics are not secure in the base.

As I've probably said elsewhere, the problable points of failure if you have oscillations are (in the order I would check):

• Loose pedal arms
  • Loose controller screws
  • Faulty hall sensor wiring
  • Bad gyro
  • Faulty hall sensors

The last two require replacement parts, and if there are cracks in the pedal arms I would recommend a replacement if it is even close to likely they affect the strength of the arm.

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

As I've probably said elsewhere, the problable points of failure if you have oscillations are (in the order I would check):

• Loose pedal arms
  • Loose controller screws
  • Faulty hall sensor wiring
  • Bad gyro
  • Faulty hall sensors

The last two require replacement parts, and if there are cracks in the pedal arms I would recommend a replacement if it is even close to likely they affect the strength of the arm.

Thank you, as it seems come from real life !

But finally, you swapped from the GT16 to the MSX, reading your signature...? I admit I have not read all the messages of this thread, due to my poor english !

I don't really know what to do. I like the form factor. I like the way it rides. I like the weight, but if I can't ride of a curb or over a sharp bump without the wheel going in rodeo mode and beeping I kind of get annoyed with it. I have a Z10 and I love it, but it is WAAAY too heavy to carry with me in the car (loading and unloading), and I don't need that beast when I use a wheel for last mile transportation. So either I use my 10" Mten3 for that, or I look for another 14 or 16" wheel. But it needs quite a bit of power. More than an Inmotion V8. And the weight should be as low as possible.

17 hours ago, sbouju said:

Thank you, as it seems come from real life !

But finally, you swapped from the GT16 to the MSX, reading your signature...? I admit I have not read all the messages of this thread, due to my poor english !

So I did, because my poor GT16 developed a battery/BMS fault, that made it unsafe to ride.

It can turn off at any moment, when you start, when you've ridden 2km or when you've ridden 20km, and you get no warning at all. It works as it should, then it just doesn't.

And given the price of new battery packs, I decided it was time to let go and upgrade. Still, I do miss it, it was a fun, fast and very agile little wheel.

27 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

And given the price of new battery packs, I decided it was time to let go and upgrade. Still, I do miss it, it was a fun, fast and very agile little wheel.

Very sorry for you...

Note I may be have soon 2x2 battery packs to pick, if I cannot  re-use mine in a safe mind (1036 Wh, 1900 km) ! ;)

Archived