Speedyfeet reviews the Inmotion V8

Rehab1

Ian from Speedyfeet just posted a great video reviewing the Inmotion V8. His company is really diversifying.

Thanks for sharing. A good thorough review raising the pro's and cons and giving a realistic range. Some serious terrain covered in his range test With my weight, paved only riding, and the pancake flat FL coastline I'm expecting to break 20 miles per charge and that will be just fine for me.

This has reaffirmed that I made the right choice for my wheel. Very happy. :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Thanks for sharing. A good thorough review raising the pro's and cons and giving a realistic range. Some serious terrain covered in his range test With my weight, paved only riding, and the pancake flat FL coastline I'm expecting to break 20 miles per charge and that will be just fine for me.

This has reaffirmed that I made the right choice for my wheel. Very happy. :thumbup:

Just how much do you weigh ?

I weigh 190 lbs and I'd be lucky if I could get 20 miles on my V8. 

25 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Just how much do you weigh ?

I weigh 190 lbs and I'd be lucky if I could get 20 miles on my V8. 

6'1" and 155lb (clothed and booted). If I turn sideways I'm almost invisible. I barely exist in the 3rd dimension. :unsure: Highest elevation in my normal riding area...12 feet. No dirt, gravel, or mud. Temperatures in the upper 20's / low 30s (celsius) Just concrete and asphalt. Pretty boring really but it is what it is and the combination of environment and weight should provide close the the best possible range out the wheel.

If I recall in @Jason McNeils first 100km impressions post he got 21 miles out of his prototype when riding down in Miami and he admitted to lots of max speed running, fast acceleration and braking so that was the basis for my assumption.

I might be very wrong and only pull 16 or 17 but that is why I also brought the fast charger for the odd coffee shop top up if needed on longer runs.

9 minutes ago, Pagsy said:

i didn't watch the video but do we learn something new about the V8 ?

New? No not really. Not if you have done your research. He goes through all the features of the wheel. Takes it on some very varied terrain. Lot's of road and trail riding. Hills. Gives you a real life range in those conditions and discusses where the wheel fits among all the others out there and why you/who would want it. He also discusses and shows you the known problem such as small clearance between body and tire. I've only seen a few photos showing this so a video where he spends 30 seconds discussing it was great.

If you hadn't done your research it is, as intended, a great one stop resource for learning about the wheel. If you have it will just reaffirm or flesh out some stuff. What I did appreciate from it is getting his personal opinion on the build and ride quality. He has a load of experience and his seemingly balanced opinion mattered to me. He liked it.

I get at least 25 miles from my V5F+ and I'm 133 lbs, 5'6, (V5F+ has 480 wh battery @ 550 W motor from what I remember). I should get similar distance with the V8 which is 480 wh battery at 800 w motor. But I'm not 100% sure because I would assume that having an 800W motor would require more energy?

4 minutes ago, fearedbliss said:

I get at least 25 miles from my V5F+ and I'm 133 lbs, 5'6, (V5F+ has 480 wh battery @ 550 W motor from what I remember). I should get similar distance with the V8 which is 480 wh battery at 800 w motor. But I'm not 100% sure because I would assume that having an 800W motor would require more energy?

As I understand it a motor will only consume what is necessary for the given situation. A 550W motor and a 800W will consume almost the same amount for the same situation. However, with an 800W motor you can accelerate harder than a 550W motor would allow.  You can also go faster (increased wind resistance) and you can decelerate harder. Doing these things will push consumption up just because you are using the extra power available. That is what will reduce range. If you rode a V8 the same way as you ride your V5F+ I doubt you would see much decrease in range.

What kind of terrain and temperature are you riding in to get that result?

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

As I understand it a motor will only consume what is necessary for the given situation. A 550W motor and a 800W will consume almost the same amount for the same situation. However, with an 800W motor you can accelerate harder than a 550W motor would allow.  You can also go faster (increased wind resistance) and you can decelerate harder. Doing these things will push consumption up just because you are using the extra power available. That is what will reduce range. If you rode a V8 the same way as you ride your V5F+ I doubt you would see much decrease in range.

What kind of terrain and temperature are you riding in to get that result?

Ah ok, i'm glad to hear that's how it works then. I'm just riding in NYC, so pretty much regular city streets, pot holes, mostly dry (unless it rains), people, and traffic. Basically highly urban area.

7 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:
7 hours ago, Pagsy said:

i didn't watch the video but do we learn something new about the V8 ?

New? No not really. Not if you have done your research.

I learned something new, the V8 is the new Ninebot P model, with improvements.  Ian says you can unlock it to about 18 mph, but two other videos say it can go 19.5, or about 30kmh.  One thing Inmotion did that apparently Ninebot did not, is to say in the app that you should have a year of experience before riding that fast. (but they let you unlock it anyway)

Also, the range seems rather small, the battery is about 50% bigger than the Ninebot one E+, but the range is shorter.  I suppose the more powerful motor and faster riding style of the tester makes a big difference.  But I have never done a range test, so I can't say the V8 has shorter range than the Ninebot, but in the video, the V8 seems much more powerful.  Very impressive hill climbing demonstrations in the video, the Ninebot can not do that.  The V8 seems like a very good wheel, and the built in trolley handle looks very nice, also the headlight is standard.  Better than Ninebot, hands down!

5 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

@WARPed1701D is right, your motor uses whatever wattage you require from it. 300W needed is 300W needed, regardless of the motor.

Small addition: in theory, one motor could be more efficient than the other at a certain wattage. E.g. a 2000W nominal motor might be less efficient at 300W power usage than a 1000W nominal motor. The difference won't be too big though.
I guess (don't know) there's no real (notable) difference between the V8 and V5F. If you really get less mileage out of the V8, it's probably simply because you tend to go faster (because you can:D).

215 pounds, hills abound, I get around 19-21 miles on my V5F+ (same battery as the V8) but the initial mileage was awful, like under 10 miles for the first two months. I'd guess the wheel balancing me at an average of 4.5 mph consumed double the power of me going 10 mph as I got more experienced.

The rubbing tire might be a desired feature as the edged plastic sweeps away debris, and stops most of it from getting inside the wheel. In contrast the KS16 guy kept stopping and clearing out his wheel.

It is a beautiful looking wheel. It looks like it's from the future.

Digging up an old thread but there was some discussion above about how attainable the manufacturers specified range really was and I have read people saying in other threads that wheel ranges/speeds etc must be measured using trained baby monkeys going downhill in a stiff breeze. :lol:

Well I finally read the manual today, especially the specifications. :smartass:

Inmotion lists the range as 45-50km, max speed as 30kph and climb angle as 25 degrees. These were tested in the following conditions:
Terrain: Level road (except climb angle)
Rider Weight: 70kg
Ambient temperature: 25C

I'm lighter than the rider weight. I live in a near flat area and environmental temps are consistently between 25C and 35C so it will interesting to see if I get close to their their specs.

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Digging up an old thread but there was some discussion above about how attainable the manufacturers specified range really was and I have read people saying in other threads that wheel ranges/speeds etc must be measured using trained baby monkeys going downhill in a stiff breeze. :lol:

Well I finally read the manual today, especially the specifications. :smartass:

Inmotion lists the range as 45-50km, max speed as 30kph and climb angle as 25 degrees. These were tested in the following conditions:
Terrain: Level road (except climb angle)
Rider Weight: 70kg
Ambient temperature: 25C

I'm lighter than the rider weight. I live in a near flat area and environmental temps are consistently between 25C and 35C so it will interesting to see if I get close to their their specs.

You might when your more experienced, you need to be riding at below 20kmp and very consistently no rocking back and forth.

I get less then 20km range cause I ride at near close max speed.

Archived