Does the GW MSuper V3s+ regenerate when braking?

Catlord17

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, your hill climbing skills while seated on the Monster is disturbingly good :cheers:

Haha any plan for weekend? It now feels weird when i dont see new so cali group ride post

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, zlymex said:

The regenerative behavior can be viewed by recording the parameters by Wheellog(it is just an app, no need for instrument) as can be seen by one of my up/down riding record(of my V3s+) when the battery is nearly full.

The voltage was dropped to around 80V when uphill because it draws certain current from the battery. It stabled at around 82.5V at the top while I was having a break and the current is very low. When downhill, the voltage raised above 83V most of the time indicating a regenerative charging.
20170518.thumb.gif.f0ff1e7e5f7edc485408c3005e500c06.gif

As can be seen from a GPS track app(the elevation is based on the barometer in the phone though, so the relative height is accurate), the slope is very constant at about 11%(900 meters long, 100 meters in altitude difference)
20170518XZ.thumb.gif.2876b314e6d7364f287500d3489657d9.gif

However, the profile shown by Google Earth is not very accurate(the elevation jumps up down, and falls at the end) probably because the scale is small or map deviation.
20170518GE.thumb.jpg.5b7969cdb96f305b6e3d6c63efe33d6b.jpg

Edit: on one of my previous measurement of riding up/down the same slope, the up consumed 49.6Wh and down charged 15.9Wh, therefore the return is about 32%.

This was a fascinating post. Thanks for taking the time to construct it. :thumbup: You make me want to capture some of this data on my rides too.

Since you may have the app handy, would you be able to upload the 84v version of WheelLog that you are using in the Downloads section of the forum? I still use the older version for my 84v wheels, which works fine for battery %, speed, and temperatures, but it's no good for the voltage (and probably current. Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Sven said:

Haha any plan for weekend? It now feels weird when i dont see new so cali group ride post

I've been neglecting my wife for the last couple of weekends so I'm laying low for awhile :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This was a fascinating post. Thanks for taking the time to construct it. :thumbup: You make me want to capture some of this data on my rides too.

Since you may have the app handy, would you be able to upload the 84v version of WheelLog that you are using in the Downloads section of the forum? I still use the older version for my 84v wheels, which works fine for battery %, speed, and temperatures, but it's no good for the voltage (and probably current. Thanks!

Thank you. I've just looked at the download section where the latest is that Wheellog 1.8.0(2.81MB) uploaded by you on Thursday.
I got exactly the same version, and works fine on my V3s+(the board is dated Nov. 2016 or earlier)
WL20170708.thumb.jpg.a674bcae976186019b090a388de5a5e2.jpg

32 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been neglecting my wife for the last couple of weekends so I'm laying low for awhile :ph34r:

Lol good call. 

did i tell you i went to chino by myself? I took the other route and it was so fun! No insane hills but still extreme trail

I did a log tonight, and I paused at the top of the hill.  This was a different route than before, but the first part is the same.  I waited after the climb for about a minute, but it's hard to see on the chart.  At about 35 minutes I arrived at Bestbuy where I turned off the Ninebot while I shopped.  That little heartbeat is when I climbed up over a pedestrian/bike overpass and descended down the other side I think.  It seems to spike as I go down, but bounces back to the original level so I don't think I really gained much charge.

388638_img2944.png

I might have been wrong about that hill climb previously.  As you can see I stop at about 14 min after the climb.  I think maybe I'm just riding very gradually uphill  during that battery level drop in the original posting.  You can see the limp mode at the end.  :rolleyes:  It's slower than my generic and tilts back so soon.  There was 8 km range remaining on the Ninebot app, but I didn't care to ride the rest of the way home at 8-10 kph!  Ugh it's time for a new wheel...

342070_img2947.png

496975_img2948.png

56 minutes ago, Sven said:

Lol good call. 

did i tell you i went to chino by myself? I took the other route and it was so fun! No insane hills but still extreme trail

Was it one way or did it loop around? About how long was it? If my put-back-together ACM works tonight I'm tempted to take it back to China. Seems fitting that I should take it back the hill that destroyed it and try again.

1 hour ago, zlymex said:

Thank you. I've just looked at the download section where the latest is that Wheellog 1.8.0(2.81MB) uploaded by you on Thursday.
I got exactly the same version, and works fine on my V3s+(the board is dated Nov. 2016 or earlier)
WL20170708.thumb.jpg.a674bcae976186019b090a388de5a5e2.jpg

Hmmm. The voltage on mine does not go above 67 volts. I'm pretty sure that you have the "forked" version that was "unofficially" modified to support the 84 volt wheels. That's why I wanted to give it a try - and a version that I know works (your version).

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hmmm. The voltage on mine does not go above 67 volts. I'm pretty sure that you have the "forked" version that was "unofficially" modified to support the 84 volt wheels. That's why I wanted to give it a try - and a version that I know works (your version).

But where and how can I upload? I cannot find it anywhere in the download section or elsewhere.

Edit: just attached here.

wheellog_release_1_8_0.apk

9 minutes ago, zlymex said:

But where and how can I upload? I cannot find it anywhere in the download section or elsewhere.

Edit: just attached here.

wheellog_release_1_8_0.apk

Cool. Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and if it is indeed different than mine I'll post it to the Download section under "84 volt Version".

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've been improving my hill climbing speeds on the Monster. It still takes more effort and strategy to climb hills with the Monster, but if done probably it can actually scream up hills. The key is to not go slow but to accelerate up the hill. 

Higher speeds should be better managable for the wheel : 

BUT - one gets nearer to the max torque vs speed limit! And going up an incline fast means that one is pushing hard on the very front of the pedals - so no chance to regain balance once the wheel stops supporting! Even small "hickups" could be enough for a faceplant... and twice the speed is 4 times the energy of the impact!

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool. Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow and if it is indeed different than mine I'll post it to the Download section under "84 volt Version".

Are you interested in the app displaying the right voltage numbers?

For anything else (aka nice graphs from logged data), you can simply do voltage*20/16 (so voltage*1.25) to get from the 16s 67.2V to the 20s 84V numbers; and *16/20 (*0.8) for the reverse (which is what the Gotway firmware does, faking 67.2V numbers for a 84V wheel so they didn't have to modify their app to support 84V wheels).

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Was it one way or did it loop around? About how long was it? If my put-back-together ACM works tonight I'm tempted to take it back to China. Seems fitting that I should take it back the hill that destroyed it and try again.

It was towards 7pm and couldn't finished my journey but went good 20 minutes 

let me know when you are ready to conquer chin"a" lol

21 minutes ago, Sven said:

It was towards 7pm and couldn't finished my journey but went good 20 minutes 

let me know when you are ready to conquer chin"a" lol

It is called "upper aliso trail" 

what we did last time was "telegraph canyon"

IMG_5201.PNG

10 minutes ago, Sven said:

It is called "upper aliso trail" 

what we did last time was "telegraph canyon"

IMG_5201.PNG

Thanks. Maybe this weekend if you're up for it. Looks like we could make a 10 - 15 mile ride out of it. Or some day. My ACM is working (yeah). I just have to secure the wires, button it up, and give it a proper test ride to make sure everything is working.

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Are you interested in the app displaying the right voltage numbers?

For anything else (aka nice graphs from logged data), you can simply do voltage*20/16 (so voltage*1.25) to get from the 16s 67.2V to the 20s 84V numbers; and *16/20 (*0.8) for the reverse (which is what the Gotway firmware does, faking 67.2V numbers for a 84V wheel so they didn't have to modify their app to support 84V wheels).

Basically. I knew someone had modified WheelLog to support the 84 volts. I wasn't sure what else was different. For instance, is the current measurement broadcast from the wheel the same for each wheel?

But if the only difference is the voltage and all that they are doing is using a multiplication factor, then the old app will indeed work fine for gathering wheel statistics.

Thanks.

Just now, kour said:

coool - what did you do? sorry if you posted about it already in another thread!

First I replaced the control board (blown MOSFETs) and then discovered that a Hall Sensor in the motor was bad too. So this week I received a new motor and over the last couple of days I did a complete tear-down and rebuild. Last night I powered it on and it was self-balancing. So today I'll re-secure the wires and button it up for the last time.

On the bright side I now know the ACM like the back of my hand. Replacing a motor on any wheel will teach you everything you need to know about your wheel :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

First I replaced the control board (blown MOSFETs) and then discovered that a Hall Sensor in the motor was bad too. So this week I received a new motor and over the last couple of days I did a complete tear-down and rebuild. Last night I powered it on and it was self-balancing. So today I'll re-secure the wires and button it up for the last time.

On the bright side I now know the ACM like the back of my hand. Replacing a motor on any wheel will teach you everything you need to know about your wheel :thumbup:

sweet. i am daunted by the idea of taking apart my wheel... which i plan on doing sooomeday...:whistling:

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Maybe this weekend if you're up for it. Looks like we could make a 10 - 15 mile ride out of it. Or some day. My ACM is working (yeah). I just have to secure the wires, button it up, and give it a proper test ride to make sure everything is working.

You know whete to call :) I'll be around!

3 hours ago, kour said:

sweet. i am daunted by the idea of taking apart my wheel... which i plan on doing sooomeday...:whistling:

Anticipation is the worst part. But when it comes down to it, these wheels are simple devices. Just take your time and be methodical. The hardest part is removing and re-installing the pedal brackets on the motor. You'll need a good method of clamping the pedal as you remove the nut and a very robust 21mm wrench that will take both hands and every muscle you have to unloosen it :efee96588e:

On 7/14/2017 at 10:47 PM, Marty Backe said:

Just caught this. I am in the same boat! Does she happen to glare :angry: at you after a ride because she knows you are now going to sit down and edit video? 

Have you attempted to teach your wife how to ride?

On 7/15/2017 at 0:42 PM, kour said:

Watch the number of videos posted the forum. Feel free to ask questions along the way!  Members familar with the process will guide you it.  

Take lots of photos of each disassembly step so you have a reference for reassembly. Before you begin the disassembly grap some zip lock bags to store all of your screws, nuts and bolts.  Mark the bags based on the location where the parts were removed. Buy some various colored sharpie pens and then mark both the male and female wire connectors on the main board before disconnecting them.

Did I mention take lots of pictures?:)

Archived