3 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I'm kicking my own butt for not having coughed up the cash for the Flexmeters yet.  :facepalm:

kick-your-ass.jpg

Between @duaner s and @Scatcat s and @Marty Backe s explanations of why Flexmeters work, I'm happier with the decision to spring for them; so I TOO can stop kicking my own butt

b596014004.jpg

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

kick-your-ass.jpg

Between @duaner s and @Scatcat s and @Marty Backe s explanations of why Flexmeters work, I'm happier with the decision to spring for them; so I TOO can stop kicking my own butt

b596014004.jpg

I'd love to see the idea of the flexmeters developed further, they're good, but given the price they should be perfect.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, novazeus said:

Yeah, A total numbskull.  Gloves! gimme a break!   And what the hell is "a fall-down"  or a "bumper" English is obviously not his native language; or if it is, he played a lot of hookie.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, A total numbskull.  Gloves! gimme a break!   And what the hell is "a fall-down"  or a "bumper" English is obviously not his native language; or if it is, he played a lot of hookie.

It looks like the article was computer-generated content. I doubt a foreign language speaker could write something that makes so little sense yet be so "grammatically correct." Perhaps it was translated by Google Translate. Either way, it shows just how far computers are from emulating real human language capabilities.

39 minutes ago, Smoother said:

i thought somebody would enjoy that. check out inmotions tips.

Edited by novazeus

i do think gloves are very important on pavement. lots of nerve endings there and road rash on hands is pretty bad. i try to avoid road rash every where on my body, but especially hands.

• 8 months later...

I wear Demon Flexmeter D30s and have taken several pretty hard spills, with no injury at all. My wife was hit by a car doing 20-25mph yesterday. She was wearing Flexmeters and her wrists are fine (other parts are pretty banged up though). Hooray for her Flexmeters and her POC helmet.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, no wrist protectors guarantee that there will be no injury in the event of a fall. They are supposed to reduce the risk of injuries or limit their effects. The same applies to the helmet - my colleague despite the helmet damaged his eyebrow because he fell so unhappily that he hit a protruding part of the curb. If you're unlucky, even best armor will not help.

• Upvote 1

Yeah and the flexmeters have no protection for your fingers, so if you curl them up when you fall, you'll look like you had a fist fight with a chain-saw.

I would love the brand that comes up with something like the flexmeters that could be more freely adjusted, had a fast attachment system and could be combined with matching gloves that fit the protection and gave you road rash and knuckle protection.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:33 AM, mezzanine said:

The full-faced helmet I'm still negotiating with myself on, but the Flexmeters are non-negotiable, despite the price. 

After seeing maxkan's post about Bell Super 3Rs at half price and seriously considering it, I ended up buying a Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro V2. Go figure. :huh:

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Yeah and the flexmeters have no protection for your fingers, so if you curl them up when you fall, you'll look like you had a fist fight with a chain-saw.

I would love the brand that comes up with something like the flexmeters that could be more freely adjusted, had a fast attachment system and could be combined with matching gloves that fit the protection and gave you road rash and knuckle protection.

Just for the record you have option to use demon Flexmeter with are glove or buy it as a fully system that the glove is intergrated/fixed that you cannot detach from wristguard. 

Now it is designed to be a skiglove so how much added protection it gives to you fingers I can't say. I only spotted this on their webpage when researching before I bought my set of Flexmeter dublesided d30. 

They have saved my wrist and palms in my 2 crashes I have had. Yes I got a tear of skin on a finger but it could have been much much worse. The puck in the palm did the job both times. 

It not making you protected like Iron man, but it does make you resist a impact better than a bag of tomato soap. 

Edit: Note, I came in late not reading the many good post in the tread before I answered this one. 

This is why I bought mine and I am very sure @Hunka Hunka Burning Love would agree with me. I am not young and invincible (anymore) as I am fast approaching 50 years of age. I do however enjoy riding my KS18L, at speeds so might consider slow, but my body tells me otherwise when things go wrong (I have limited to 40-42kmh on last ten setting in app). I buy protection gear to cushion the impact WHEN things go wrong, not IF. It is a calculated risk every time I ride. I try to minimize the risk but it is still there. Saving 20 or 100 euro is in my book not optional as my body and a major injury or permanent injury really do not compare to that little price tag. Someone asked my how much I spend so far, I answered with a list. It adds up. Worth it 120% absolutely. So what if i don't crash or some run/drive into me, has it been worthwhile? 200% absolutely, as it made me possible to ride and feel safer, making that calculate risk each time I step up on my wheel. Ok do I use all gear all the time? nope but 90% of the time I do. It is about calculated risk, distance, speed and ride conditions, every time. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

After seeing maxkan's post about Bell Super 3Rs at half price and seriously considering it, I ended up buying a Leatt DBX 3.0 Enduro V2. Go figure. :huh:

I just love that picture you use for you profile. 

• 2 years later...

I tried out a bunch of wrist guards and realized that they can be CE certified similar to motorcycle armor, following the EN 14120 standards for "protectors for users of roller sports". Wrist guards can be certified as level 1 or level 2. Here's a summary from SATRA. So far I haven't been able to figure out if any wrist guards are certified as level 2, which is supposed to be for "acrobatic roller sports" (level 1 is for "normal roller sports").

I saw a CE logo at the bottom of the Flexmeters. Can someone with Flexmeters tell us if they're CE level 1 or level 2? I think there should be a tag on them with that info.

12 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

Demon says the Flexmeters are CE level 1. I guess that's something to keep in mind if you're an acrobat.

my tag simply says 'made in taiwan'.  Theres a CE marking on it, but no indication of what level.

Kudos on the 2 yr thread resurrection also!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

@Skeptikos @ShanesPlanet

The CE marking on the flexmeters is not about protection. It is simply the manufacturer's declaration that the product meets EU standards for health, safety, and environmental protection. I did not find any indication of CE level 1 protection: neither on my flexmeters, nor on their packaging which I still keep, nor on Demon websites. 

• Like 1

That would be "safety" as in "protection".

I was told this by Demon United's customer service.

If they're using the CE marking without getting their product certified, I think that would be illegal. Obviously the Flexmeter is good enough to be certified, so I see no reason to believe Demon is defrauding us with fake CE labels. Not sure why the info isn't in the packaging.

Edit: Here's a relevant quote from your link:

When a manufacturer puts the CE marking on a product it implies that it complies with all the Essential Health and safety requirements from all the directives that applies to its product.

So obviously on a wrist guard the directive that applies is EN 14120 (the wrist guard standards).

Edited by Skeptikos
quote wikipedia

10 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

If they're using the CE marking without getting their product certified, I think that would be illegal

Apparently there are different instances of "CE". I think on the flexmeters it just means it conforms to very broad european standards. It is certified in this regard, which allows Demon to sell them in Europe. However, it is not held up to motorcycle protection levels. When products are certified to particular european motorcycle protection standards, it should be explicitly stated and the corresponding standards mentioned. Here is an example, from Leatts body protector: CE tested and certified as impact protection: Chest prEN1621-3 Level 2
Back EN1621-2 Level 2 | Elbow and Shoulder EN1621-1. 

The keywords for the Leatt is "EN1621-2 Level 2" and suchNote that impact absorption requirements are different for different body parts. I am not sure there is a standard for wrist protectors laid out. There is one for gloves though (because that's what motorcyclists typically use). 

This is confusing indeed. The general CE marking regulation for PPE (see Annex II) just broadly states "3.1.1. Impact caused by falling or ejected objects and collisions of parts of the body with an obstacle PPE intended to protect against this type of risk must be sufficiently shock-absorbent to prevent injury resulting, in particular, from the crushing or penetration of the protected part, at least up to an impact-energy level above which the excessive dimensions or mass of the means of shock-absorption would preclude effective use of the PPE for the foreseeable period of wear."

Perhaps general CE marking does require adherence to motorcycle standards (as you imply), but only for products that are marketed and certified as motorcycle protection equipment. The flexmeters are not, I believe. Obviously you would not require snowboarding gear to satisfy motorcycle standards.

43 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

So obviously on a wrist guard the directive that applies is EN 14120 (the wrist guard standards).

You are probably right, but is still gets confusing. Here the EN 14120 is about wrist guards for roller sports and includes abrasion resistance. Are the flexmeters certified as roller sports wrist guards? Or snowboarding wrist guards? Is there a different standard for those? 

Anyway you've convinced me they are probably certified as at least "wrist protection for some kind of activity requiring such protection" which is not bad. I am not sure there is subdivision between "level 1" and "level 2" for wrist protection though.