Missing grub screws from factory KS14C

Smoother

I while back I took my KS14C apart to check on the guide spring that protects the wires going into the motor (someone had come off at speed as a result of a short in this area, attributed to an out of position spring)

My spring was fine but I discovered that two of the four grub screws*, that hold the pedals on, were missing.  Examination of the rust marks on the pedal pins, showed that one of the pins, had been out of position since new.  Conclusion, two grub screws were never installed at the factory.  If the pins had moved, its possible that one of the pedals might have collapsed during a ride.  However, there was no evidence of movement, only that one had settled in a position that was not all the way in, but in, safely enough.

If it was easy to get grub screws* I would have simply replaced them, as they are not expensive; but old style hardware stores are a dying breed, and I don't know the size to order them off t'internet.

After a few emails and a photograph to the supplier (Electro-sport.de) Ferenc sent me a new set of four, all the way from Germany.  I installed them with a dab of copper grease as they are prone to rust as they are mild steel, and get wet when riding through puddles, etc

CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE ALL YOUR GRUB SCREWS, AND REINSTALL THEM WITH SOME GREASE TO PREVENT THEM RUSTING IN PLACE. 

Incidentally, the parts were shipped from 1RadWerkstatt (official KingSong importer for Germany.)

So thanks to those two companies for sorting this out for me.

* (for non native English speakers) a "grub screw" is the English name for a threaded bolt without a head, which resembles the larvae stage of some winged insects, collectively called grubs.  (why its not called  a "grub bolt" I have no idea) 

If you're talking about the side hex / allen grub screws that prevent the pedal rods from wiggling out, they're a pretty common size used by multiple EUC makers, 3/8" x 3/8".

I bought this kit off Amazon grub screw set which has that size and an assortment of other sizes:

Neiko 50484A Internal Hex/Allen Socket-Head Set Screw Assortment, 200 Piece | 5/32"x 3/16" - 1/4"x 3/8"

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

If you're talking about the side hex / allen grub screws that prevent the pedal rods from wiggling out, they're a pretty common size used by multiple EUC makers, 3/8" x 3/8".

I bought this kit off Amazon grub screw set which has that size and an assortment of other sizes:

Neiko 50484A Internal Hex/Allen Socket-Head Set Screw Assortment, 200 Piece | 5/32"x 3/16" - 1/4"x 3/8"

Do NOT bet on that.  The ones on my KS16 are metric, the thread is M10-1.50.  I noticed they were loose when I found one in the car -- another was already lost.  I re-did all mine (3 wheels) with red locktight and have not lost one since.

9 hours ago, duaner said:

Do NOT bet on that.  The ones on my KS16 are metric, the thread is M10-1.50.  I noticed they were loose when I found one in the car -- another was already lost.  I re-did all mine (3 wheels) with red locktight and have not lost one since.

KS16 have KingSong v3 style pedals, whereas the older KS14C model originally referenced does not AFAIK sport v3 pedals, more like v1/v2.

But good to have the metric version of the grub screw kit too, need to get that myself.

Archived