RichieV

How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

Well? I survived the spring, summer and ........cough.! ........ FALL.   I have wrecked a large number of times. Too many to count. I tend to keep pushing my limits. I have hit pot holes, curbs, and slippery spots. I got my pedal caught in a SNOW fence in GEORGIA!  I have wrecked countless times on mountain bike trails. The worst was a wet algae spot on a wooden bridge at 30 mph. Every time I was able to reduce my speed and/or choose my landing.  (bumps, bruises and very mild road rash) 

P.S. One time I poked my eye with my sunglasses while riding and switching from my regular glasses.  I cried.:crying:

• Like 2

My injury unfortunately finished 6-9 months of great fun and experience on a pinwheel T1F(cheap and cheerful). Had started using it for the 4 mile cycle track commute to work. Protection was knee pad, wrist protectors and cycle helmet. I was normally a very careful middle age rider, but that morning I decided to try for top speed going down a small hill(big mistake). I would guess I was going about 10 miles/hour. My memory of the crash is not totally clear but it felt like the wheel just switched off think maybe I  overloaded the batteries. So I did the classic face plant with hands out as soon as I got up, had a lot of pain moving shoulder. So off to doctor's then hospital. End result was 2 months off work 3 months of once a week physio and a rather impressive x-ray. That was 2 years ago shoulder fine, but no more riding as I'm one of the carers for my dad who is in a wheelchair and a one arm carer is pretty useless (well I was anyway). Not been on the forum for quite a while good to see it's still going strong.

IMG_20160802_142302.jpg

Edited by rimpey
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That's a pretty impressive amount of hardware in there.  

Sorry that had to happen to you.

Unfortunately, you can't really take the danger out of this hobby, which I think will limit it forever to a sort of fringe activity.

My last fall from euc. The sandy trail didn´t allow enougth traction on the wheel and they can´t catch me up. Result in a emergency jump at 30kmh witout consecuences. I grab my v10f and keep routing in less than 3 seconds

• Like 1