How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

13 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Unfortunately I body slammed in a street... sprained wrist....maybe a bruised rib. Two blocks from a Commuter rail stop and an Uber ride. Kinda tired. A woman's intuition may have predicted the event in that a block from the street site, on the day before, while riding a curve in the road past her she started shouting 'oh no..oh no..oh no..oh no' to whoever she was with.

Maybe she was a witch ;):w00t2:from Salem.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

Maybe

Maybe...

Certainly not from 'Tuck's Point' where I rode out to on the way. I got a smile or two riding the access road to the resident sticker only lot....and then a bad look as I went on sidewalk towards the Gazebo een on this link.

http://northshorekid.com/directory/tucks-point

Tuck's Point ride map

I've overheard two conversations in 'Manchester by the Sea'. In another ride in colder weather three people stood on the sidewalk where I paused as they blocked passage. The conversation went something like....hi ... You're looking good....haven't seen you in awhile...I like your coat.....

The coat wearer replied....I got it at the 'used clothes store' for $35.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

I had my first high speed unscheduled dismount today.  In the south construction sites use snow fence to block off construction areas.  I was going along at 20 MPH beside a snow fence when the wind blew the end on the fence in my path.  The pedal caught the fence and after a few feet of pulling the fence off the post, the fence spun me around.  I landed backwards on my right foot, I was Somehow was able to continue the spin and get my other foot to hit the ground long enough to redirect my fall to the grass. I landed in the grass on the side of my left leg.  After rolling in the grass the MSuper caught up to me and stopped just short of hitting me.  Although this was my most spectacular dismount to date it was one of my least painful.  I came out completely unscathed.  Not a single scratch.  At least on me, My MSuper and wrist guards have lots of new scratches.  I know I was very lucky but I have had lots of practice hitting the ground.  

When I was a kid and I heard the words “ Don’t try this at home.” I took it as a personal challenge.  The TV can’t tell me what not to do!!  

P.S. I think I do have one injury from my unscheduled dismount.  I ended up in a black berry bush and got a thorn in my finger. 

it sounds like a stunt crash truly amazing ? glad your ok ..i hate gusts of wind off balance you sometimes

• Like 1

@RockyTop sometimes you just can't explain how things happen or why you avoided major injury. 

I had a very close call when I were on my Sunday ride. How I managed to stay on the pedals is byound me. I do know one thing. On my return trip I didn't ride 30-35ish kmh over same hilltop/speed bump like crossing. Now I went like 5-10 kmh over same bump.

This time I got lucky and rude out the wobbles after almost airlifting over the hilltop and then hitting a path shifting bump (there is a bridge or crossing path, I don't really recall due to focus was elsewhere, trying to regain balance). Come to think of it, I have this on video. Need to review this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

@RockyTop sometimes you just can't explain how things happen or why you avoided major injury. 

Very true!  So far my worst injuries have been when I was just standing in place with one foot on a pedal while talking to someone when my foot slips and the EUC dicides to spin and attack my shin like some kind of psychotic pitbull.  

My shin modeling days are over for good.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RockyTop said:

P.S. I think I do have one injury from my unscheduled dismount.  I ended up in a black berry bush and got a thorn in my finger. 

Falling in a blackberry bush would be plenty enough to rip someone up!  Just thinking about it gives me the willies.  

• Like 1

not having been hurt yet riding a wheel, i still have a hard time wrapping my head around all the armor being worn by euc riders when i’m watching these drag racing motorcycles with riders reaching close to 200 mph wearing full leathers and a helmet.

it seems euc riders wear more protection than any of these daredevils on tv.

• Like 1

I expired a cut off in the process of drag racing my son on his Ninebot one e. My INMOTION v8 accelerated fast and then suddenly it wobbled like crazy and then cut off.. flying forward and made some kind of rolling on the ground. Broken little finger and some bruises  on right hand. Fortunately I wore all my protective gear and full face helmet ?

I am a little shock up by the cut off, but I guess I’m not the only one expiring this..

7A071436-5BD3-4252-9DED-1ACD927066F2.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wense said:

I expired a cut off in the process of drag racing my son on his Ninebot one e. My INMOTION v8 accelerated fast and then suddenly it wobbled like crazy and then cut off.. flying forward and made some kind of rolling on the ground. Broken little finger and some bruises  on right hand. Fortunately I wore all my protective gear and full face helmet ?

I am a little shock up by the cut off, but I guess I’m not the only one expiring this..

Sorry to hear about your injury.  I hope you heal quickly. 

All Electric unicycles have a limited amount of power and the units mentioned above are in the weaker range.  I think you created an over lean. The unicycle did not have enough power to balance you given the circumstances.  

3 hours ago, Wense said:

7A071436-5BD3-4252-9DED-1ACD927066F2.jpeg

Reminds me of the phrase "wheels that actively try to kill you" that @esaj quoted in his wonderful story on the beginnings of EUCs.

I guess we have to be aware of still being in the 2nd phase of this beginning and shut offs are not yet a thing of the past. The wheels might even get closer to their goal of actively killing us with all the new high powered motors and addictive high speeds. Every rider should have this phrase in mind once you oat the oats. Get well soon. ?

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Sorry to hear about your injury.  I hope you heal quickly. 

All Electric unicycles have a limited amount of power and the units mentioned above are in the weaker range.  I think you created an over lean. The unicycle did not have enough power to balance you given the circumstances.  

I’m sure you’re right. I remember the feeling of falling forward.. like it didn’t hold me upright any more. But is 800W considered weak? 

6 hours ago, Mono said:

Was the wheel off when you picked it up?

I’m not sure.. it was my son who picked it up but I think it was off.. 

2 hours ago, Wense said:

I’m sure you’re right. I remember the feeling of falling forward.. like it didn’t hold me upright any more. But is 800W considered weak?  

I had a very similar experience with my KS16B (which also has a 800W motor), where I experienced a sudden lack of balancing. I wouldn't call these wheels weak (but newer high-end wheels come with a lot more power), but it's definitely possible to push them over their limits, particularly if your battery is low, etc. In my case I didn't get any warnings or tiltback, and I guess that applies to you to? That made me shop for a more powerful wheel, in order to get more spare capacity and avoid this particular pitfall. So a more powerful wheel will give you extra capacity and safety, provided you actually keep below its maximum and don't push that one to its limits in which case you're even worse off.. :wacko:

The previous post about my experience:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

Third day I'm about 15 minutes into it doing even tighter turns (one lane dead end road) and turning on a 10 degree incline when I wobble a bit and jerk the tether--which hits the cutoff switch and down I go on my back. Slight sprain to one wrist and some road rash on the elbow. Plus the joy of having the back of my head bounce off the pavement. Hard. Twice. I was slightly stunned and lay there for more than a few seconds to gather my wits before getting up.

Well, you're not alone in forgetting about the disconnect switch, though you seemed  to have realized your error faster than I did :P

3 hours ago, Wense said:

But is 800W considered weak? 

At one time 800w was pretty strong buy yes it is considered weak.today.  I would think that the battery pack is the weak point. You can't use power that you don't have. 

I can over learn a 2000w motor with a 1600ah battery. 

• Like 1

I fell five times worse. It's was in the morning to work, riding my KS16 to work, very inexperienced then without any gear protection, hit a small pot hole and dove forward about 10 feet, landed sideways on my right side. Luckily my head was protected by my right arm. What happened next is I got up and continued my ride to work. Ended up scraping on my right knee and right elbow and some minor scratches on my right hand fingers.Lesson learned, life and fun riding goes on...!

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

9 months after my slow speed fall on cheap knee pads (resulting in deep cuts on my knees), I still have 2 dime sizes scars from the fall. I need to take a wire brush to them to get the skin to heal. 

I don't understand.  Why would you do that?

• Upvote 1

@Dingfelder Do what? Wire brush? It may help the skin heal. When I was a child, I stepped on a fire coal (from a firework), and it left a dead spot on my foot. I walked on that thing for like 20 years until I decided to cut into it. Within a few days of cutting out the dead skin (about a 1/2 cm ball), my foot healed back to normal!

Just by flaking my finger nail across my knees, I see dead skin falling off. They were deep cuts on my knee....so hoping it will heal if I pull off the dead skin.

I had a large scar on my outer for arm from a motorcycle accident. It was caused by bad  road rash that left a big hole and no skin. A year later the scar settled at 5cm by 2cm with a 1cm bump.  It was very ugly.

I cut an American football shape around the scar cutting through all of the skin and removed it. Then I roughed up the lower inside edges so it would grow back better. Then I informed my Aunt who is a nurse that she had sew me back up.  Turned out great!  I know that it sounds bad but it wasn’t. The skin around my arm was a little tight for a while.  It took an hour with hobby razor knife. ( exacto knife?)

People with type O blood tends bleed little and heal fast. That said I don’t really want to do it again!  The patient was a fool and the Doctor kept getting lite headed and wanted to pass out on me.

No drugs or alcohol involved. Not even Tylenol. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26 August 2018 at 6:17 PM, Stan Onymous said:

Just because a Nation has free healthcare, doesnt mean they will use it. The UK has free Dental, but just take a look at Tony Blair’s grille and you would think he was a Civil war re enacter from West Virginia.

The UK DOES NOT have free dental care.  If you need serious dental work it will cost you serious coin.  I believe basic stuff, fillings, extractions,etc are subsidised, but crowns, veneers, implant, etc cost big time.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As to Blair, he can afford to do whatever he wants, so there's clearly something cultural involved.  I see Brits saying Americans are bizarre about their teeth -- too shiny white, too vain ... and why bother? -- the same way Americans take digs at the British for theirs.  Both or course being first-world countries whose citizens in general have options.