How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A half week later my arm is still sore, but it’s slowly returning to normal.  Leg is still tender too.  

Your actually bouncing back  to full recovery pretty fast. Good clean living I suppose.

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I would caution fellow Tesla riders to beware of “speed blindness” after getting used to higher speeds.  It’s quite easy to hit a bump too quickly kicking you off.

I second that caution and would further reflect your advice to include riders of most any wheel. 

• Like 1

4 months from my accident I still feel a strange pain on my shoulder when a put my foot on my wheel for the first time in the day. It Is mental of course. It is like my brain is telling me: please don't go!

About protection I have a warning: there is no protection available to avoid what happened to me (Shoulder dislocated with Hill Sachs fracture). So use your brain and be always focused on the road and never feel invincible or indestructible (When you become very good on rolling and used to high speed is very easy to feel this way)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, phatmike said:

4 months from my accident I still feel a strange pain on my shoulder when a put my foot on my wheel for the first time in the day. It Is mental of course. It is like my brain is telling me: please don't go!

About protection I have a warning: there is no protection available to avoid what happened to me (Shoulder dislocated with Hill Sachs fracture). So use your brain and be always focused on the road and never feel invincible or indestructible (When you become very good on rolling and used to high speed is very easy to feel this way)

I can’t overemphasize this enough: Guys! Learn and practice sorrowly how to fall! It does make a big difference!

Watch this 95 year old man and listen what he has to say ... and then follow his example and learn the right techniques that matches our hobby and start practicing! DO IT TODAY!

43 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I can’t overemphasize this enough: Guys! Learn and practice sorrowly how to fall! It does make a big difference!

Watch this 95 year old man and listen what he has to say ... and then follow his example and learn the right techniques that matches our hobby and start practicing! DO IT TODAY!

I fell from skateboard (hundreds of time), bicycle, motorcycle. I alway had time to think about how to fall. On wheel, when you fall, it is just to fast and you are to close to the ground to even think about a reaction (or maybe at 53 years old I'm not fast enough like before)

Edited by phatmike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phatmike said:

I alway had time to think about how to fall.

In this case it’s doing not thinking ? and that needs practice. Here a different part of your brain ? or better nerve system is needed and it will NOT kick in WITHOUT practice! That’s what you have experienced. I understand that. Now, I also had my share of falls on boards and co. and unicycles (including a sudden cut-off with face plant!) so nobody needs to tell me how this feels. I got some scratches here and there, but was never seriously injured due to a fall I took. And that’s why I advocate to learn how to fall. Is it time consuming? Yes! Very! Does it have a fear factor! Yes! And it needs to be overcome. Is it worth the time and effort? YES! 100%! Why? because it trains your body not to let the wrong instincts take over but the newly learned reflexes without the involvement of your brains! In short: DO before you even THINK. It takes off the edge of a sudden fall, I promise! And for all those who are still in denial: if it doesn’t help it does not harm either!

Edited by Toshio Uemura

7 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

That old guy's secret is he only falls on air mattresses and trampolines :D

Why don’t you send him one of your old EUCs after getting your Z10. He might develope some techniques for us here on the forum! ? 

• Like 2

I think part of the problem is that our feet are pretty much side by side, and we’re already at a slight lean.  My leg muscles probably were a little sluggish after riding 18 km.  There also is slight delay in recognizng that there is an irrecoverable problem and reacting to it.  By the time you realize you are going to fall the wheel is already lagging behind you, and you’re at a more extreme lean.  All I had time for was to extend my arms out and try to use my wrist guards and palm skid pads to land on.  My elbow followed next thankfully on the left side (I’m a righty).

Within that short time span, I think unless you have some Ninja :ph34r: reflexes there’s not a lot of falling options.  My arm luckily is returning to normal, but I’m not sure I’ll be riding any more.  If it was my right arm and a worse injury I’d be out of work for way too long.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2018 at 7:33 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It was such a strange sensation that it’s really difficult to describe how the wheel stopped working.  It wasn’t a side to side wobble I’m pretty certain as usually I can recover from those.  This seemed more a forward and back fast tipping that eventually dropped me off.  I think.  It was very weird.

I can easily provoke this with my Rockwheel GT16. Take some hard bumps (such as hopping on a sidewalk) at the right speed and jump enough yourself so the wheel becomes very light at contact point, and it will start wildly oscillating back and forth (really BIG vibrations), which will calm down after a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think part of the problem is that our feet are pretty much side by side, and we’re already at a slight lean.  My leg muscles probably were a little sluggish after riding 18 km.  There also is slight delay in recognizng that there is an irrecoverable problem and reacting to it.  By the time you realize you are going to fall the wheel is already lagging behind you, and you’re at a more extreme lean.  All I had time for was to extend my arms out and try to use my wrist guards and palm skid pads to land on.  My elbow followed next thankfully on the left side (I’m a righty).

Within that short time span, I think unless you have some Ninja :ph34r: reflexes there’s not a lot of falling options.  My arm luckily is returning to normal, but I’m not sure I’ll be riding any more.  If it was my right arm and a worse injury I’d be out of work for way too long.

I didn't realize you've stopped riding EUC's, how long ago was this?

Just since my accident about six days ago.  :crying: I've still got the itch to ride, but now the brain is telling me better not.  I think I might just take a break for a while from riding until my arm and leg heal up.  It didn't seem that much of a fall at the moment, but I think the forward momentum caused a lot more impact on my arm than I realized.  Even with additional elbow pads, I don't think one can avoid the pressure transmitted to the shoulder when falling onto the hands/arms.

I can't imagine falling while off-roading up in some mountains somewhere and needing to walk the wheel back for miles.  I had this big welt on my leg that settled down, but the bruise is still tender.  It was hard putting on T-Shirts and even getting up off the floor.  Fun's fun until you get injured!  :cry2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My arm luckily is returning to normal, but I’m not sure I’ll be riding any more.  If it was my right arm and a worse injury I’d be out of work for way too long.

definitely feel ya with my gig.

nothing wrong with being cautious. i think it automatically comes with age. i look back at my life, especially 19-24 when i was puttng in vault doors, safes, safety deposits boxes etc for diebold. too young and stupid to actually realize the shit i was doing was so dangerous.

like i’ve said before, riding these things on public roads, sidewalks, multiuse paths, around pedestrians, dogs etc etc is a whole other skill level i do not possess. everything seems easy until some little thing goes wrong. even with protection, going too fast i could imagine u could break ur neck or hit a tree or in marty’s case, tumble down a mountain.

speed on these devices, is not ur friend. fast enough to keep up with Bob in a trot, that’s all i want, and Bob not jerk me off the wheel.

• Like 1

I think a big problem is once you are given an upper speed range, you want to use it and tap into that rush.  I was happy with my Ninebot, and its 22 kph maximum for the longest time.  When you're going at 45 kph on the Tesla, it's so stable and fun that you start thinking hey, this is pretty safe.  That leads to taking certain obstacles that you've taken a million times before at slightly faster speeds, and soon enough something rattles the gyro or wheel itself enough to create an instability.  I think even with a full body protective suit on, if you land on your hands/arms those forces end up travelling somewhere.  I can still barely lift my arm up since there's a twinge of pain at a certain point.  It's getting better though.  :efefc8626c:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2