How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

22 minutes ago, Jens Muysoms said:

But to stick to the topic, my faith in humanity has been hurt after reading this.

The choices pertaining to this topic:

• Completely unscathed
  • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
  • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
  • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention.  Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
  • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  • **NEW CHOICE** Faith in humanity has been damaged.  Soul has suffered booboo requiring numerous views of cute cat videos and/or consumption of ice cream
Edited by RichieV
formatting
  • Like 3

My injuries on a full speed, 17mph on a KS14B with no safety gear was substantial enough to keep me from driving a stick shift car for a couple of weeks. But I injure my body with cuts and scrapes doing yardwork, I bump and gouge my hands and arms and legs while wrenching on vehicles, and even while sleeping bash my elbow into the headboard when my cats take up too much leg room at the bottom of the bed.

But I have never suffered a lesser quality of life from any of these injuries. I just switch tactics or chores till I heal and plod on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:popcorn:  Fun's fun until you hit someone else's wake at super high speed at a bad angle and don't correct in the right direction?   Or did that guy just pass out?  Wow that was better at 0.25 speed.  On the plus side, at least they didn't lose that pair of sunglasses.  :efee6b18f3:

Hey @steve454 (my new Alexa), analysis of the boat crash!

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I laugh at this driver in this video, as I see a lot of myself in every crash I've done.

Motorboat crash with bikini chicks.

The nonchalant showing off of a skill that I don't quite have resulting in a major crash is 100% me.

hah, that’s what i have but mine is a 38’ fountain sportfish cruiser with twin 350 cummings diesel. same hull but slower. 

speed is no bueno. just wasting fuel.

Edited by novazeus

15 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

I took some pretty significant damage that has made me decide to sell my 14d... 

So you gave up the EUC because riding one very drunk caused you a lot of injuries. 

I also suspect that because you were "showing" someone, that an element of "showing off" may have been present.  Rule #1 (or 2 or 3) for EUC's is never show off; it almost always leads to a crash, I know, I've seen me do it.

May I suggest you keep the wheel and reduce/eliminate the drinking if you're going to ride it. I hope you recover complexly from your injuries.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

So you gave up the EUC because riding one very drunk caused you a lot of injuries. 

I also suspect that because you were "showing" someone, that an element of "showing off" may have been present.  Rule #1 (or 2 or 3) for EUC's is never show off; it almost always leads to a crash, I know, I've seen me do it.

One reason I like this forum and the people in it above all others is that the collision (hehe) between perception and reality is razor-thin.

EUCs do not suffer fools. Everybody mostly agrees because falseness breaks on your first hit with the pavement.

Also, EUCs have a tendency of kicking the shit out of any pride you might have had, because you when you show off you usually crash in the most embarrassing way.

Intersections; I love crashing in the middle of an intersection, with all the stopped drivers looking at you (so you must show off the awesome power of the wheel).

Just embrace the pain, man. It's happened to you (us) in the past, and it's going to happen again no matter how much you tell yourself, "don't show off."

Just eat road, and tell yourself that you're a better man after having done that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phatmike said:

My right shoulder was dislocated completely with a Hills Sachs fracture. I was operated and I needed full 3 months of inactivity. A lot of therapy (still doing it). Three months after the accident I bought a KS18L (coming from V8). Now I'm ok.

In the meantime you can get practice holding your beer with your left hand. I hope you are better soon!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Injury posts always get me.  I always appreciate it when someone does something dumb, but still has the guts to come on here and post about it to let others see the high cost of being careless.  

When I was considering buying an EUC for the first time, I got the distinct impression that a lot of folks were in denial about the danger of these machines.  

I'm guessing a lot of people who see me ride by laugh at me for wearing a full-faced helmet and feel I'm overly cautious.  I read the helmet threads and shake my head at the lack of interest in understanding helmet technology when deciding on what to buy.  

An underrated aspect of buying expensive safety gear is the psychological effect of making you want to wear it.  Buy the coolest looking, most expensive helmet you can afford.    

• Like 1

Another thing that scares the crap out of me about these injuries I read about is their potential to take me out of being able to exercise.  I rely heavily on being able to exercise to keep my sanity and the idea of being laid up for a few months trying to heal scares me almost as much as the injuries themselves.    

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, TrevoraNewell said:

All I can say is I suggest a helmet at the least.. If I would have had a helmet on I don't think I would be wanting to sell. I literally had on just shorts, no shoes or helmet or shirt lol. 

My first rule of thumb especially if its injured in a EUC accident is to not take pictures and dont look into the mirror any more than to check your daily progress or for weeping scrapes. You wont regret what you dont remember so well. Pictures and memories have too many details. 

Good advice is good to follow at anytime and sometimes sooner than later. We all know helmets are good for bikes but resisted them when we were kids. Why would we change because it was down to one wheel? I mean we know now dont we? I sprained my wrist so bad I couldn’t drive a stick shift for 2 weeks. I would show you pictures, but well... you know.

Edited by Stan Onymous

This video, gruesome in its length and breadth, is instructive on the situations that eventually result in your death or injury. I suggest watching it entirely, and after a while you'll instinctively pick up what is about to happen.

It takes bravery to ride or walk around motorized traffic; vehicles are extremely dangerous (#1 killer of people worldwide and in the USA).

I look at vehicles (and their drivers) as extremely dangerous sharks that ideally should be corraled into their separate places, but instead we let them roam around everywhere, with just the trust of drivers following traffic laws.

Even more ludicrous is how we design the roads and the vehicles. The Ford F series is the number 1 selling vehicle in the USA (one is bought every 35 seconds). Has anyone seen the front of an F truck? It's a wall and people then go out and put these sharp grills in front of it. I can only assume such a grill is designed to make sure the person you hit is dead.

Really, we can classify accidents into two categories.

1. Where you fall off your EUC/bike.

2. Where you get hit by a driver.

Looking at the video above, it seems very clear to me that helmets don't help much when you get hit by a vehicle, and also from that video when you get hit by an SUV/truck it just punches through you, destroying your head and torso instantly when it goes over you. The car hitting you seems somewhat survivable as you hit the hood but the truck...you're pretty much dead (four times higher death rate than being hit by a car).

• Like 3

scary AF however these things really do happen a lot in Russia (something about the russians and their need to come crashing into things a lot).

I'm new but took to EUCing super fast (I'm 47 in two months) on my gotway mSuper3. Just a few moments I was "flying" head up high at 45 MPH on a large avenue. I'm being hyper vigilant and all, but I thought, if something goes wrong, whether it's another vehicle coming at me or my wheel malfunctioning, I'm F-U-C-K-E-D. That helmet I ordered couldn't come too sooner, and I might start wearing leather gloves, too.

Edited by RinconadaCliff

@TrevoraNewell From those pictures it looks like you were mugged by the sidewalk for your wheel and the sidewalk won. Don't let the concrete defeat you. You just need some time to recuperate and some safety gear. Seriously, get some safety gear. Then take your wheel to an indoor skate park, and learn how to land a crash with all your safety gear.

OK that last part is not necessary. But you really should get at least a full face helmet.
Set up a gofundme, I'd donate a few bucks towards a helmet for you.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  I I think I’m never going to cross another road again.  Yep best to stay indoors where it’s safe like at the KFC.

D’oh!  :crying: 

https://globalnews.ca/video/4341270/surveillance-video-of-edmonton-kfc-crash

Is Canada trying to challenge Russia for the title of worst drivers?

• Upvote 1

On 20 luglio 2018 at 2:13 AM, dmethvin said:

In the meantime you can get practice holding your beer with your left hand. I hope you are better soon!

Thanks! I don't drink alchool! But I use weed for relaxing and with only one hand was very hard to roll a joint!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1