How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

36 minutes ago, Jens Muysoms said:

i would not hurt an animal for 4 euros (around 5 bucks)

No, But I would hurt an animal before its aggressive attempt to hurt me succeeds. 4E is not much, but, there's the pain, the blood, the ruined clothes, the fall and potentially permanent injury, the stitches, the scars, the infection, the damage to the wheel, the time off work, etc, etc, etc. 

As Dr. Phil once said  (paraphrased) "If you're in a room and someone comes at you swinging his fists, guess what? You're in a fight, whether you know why or not, better start hitting back"

37 minutes ago, Jens Muysoms said:

Lucky for me I don't live in Trump nation so a quick check-up at the doctor doesn't cost a months wage. And i would not hurt an animal for 4 euros (around 5 bucks). I still can't believe that you guys want to get rid of the affordable care act

Well, people who voted for Hillary are far more likely to commit violent crimes, own guns illegally, and blatantly specify which race our laws should favor. And be prescribed anti-depressants.

For example, the city (St Louis) I lived in which voted 80% democratic is the second most violent city in the USA.

Today it might be a small dog. What if tomorrow it is some huge dog that doesn't let go? Millions of Americans get bit by dogs each year, with hundred disfigured or killed.

Don't be that guy!

Now me, I'd kill the damned dog for biting me, I'm malicious and do not like it when a dog bites me.

42 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Today it might be a small dog. What if tomorrow it is some huge dog that doesn't let go? Millions of Americans get bit by dogs each year, with hundred disfigured or killed.

Don't be that guy!

Now me, I'd kill the damned dog for biting me, I'm malicious and do not like it when a dog bites me.

EDIT, I edited your quote to make it clear what this post is referring to.

May I suggest this or something like it for your image::D

depositphotos_24231815-stock-photo-an-an

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

May I suggest this or something like it for your image::D

depositphotos_24231815-stock-photo-an-an

You don't understand how violent St Louis is. This is a few blocks away from where I live and work. Note that these are two separate accidents; in the first accident the armed pizza delivery man who counter-ambushed and killed the would be robber continued to deliver the pizzas. Oh, and today a police officer was ambushed; he probably won't live since it's head and neck shots.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/victim-identified-in-third-fatal-shooting-within-a-week-in/article_3b5a462f-3ed7-5f74-b0a8-dfac9aa6a804.html

8 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You don't understand how violent St Louis is. This is a few blocks away from where I live and work. Note that these are two separate accidents; in the first accident the armed pizza delivery man who counter-ambushed and killed the would be robber continued to deliver the pizzas. Oh, and today a police officer was ambushed; he probably won't live since it's head and neck shots.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/victim-identified-in-third-fatal-shooting-within-a-week-in/article_3b5a462f-3ed7-5f74-b0a8-dfac9aa6a804.html

I was referring to the dog quote.  You don't have to tell me about US city violence, I lived in Texas (Houston mostly) for 28 years. Never had to shoot anyone, fortunately.  And my girlfriend Lives in Laredo.  Laredo makes Houston and St. Louis look like kindergartens, what with all the cross-border drug violence. You would not believe the horrific stories that come out of that border region.

But I'm not US bashing.  Here in London, Knife crime is reaching epidemic levels, Guns are prevalent amongst criminals, and one-punch drunken attacks have killed more than one person recently (head injuries from hitting the ground unconscious).  I actually felt safer in the US, because I had the right to carry, and I did (well my car did) and my house did. Carrying around a concealed high capacity .45 semi auto, makes one very aware of the bulge it makes in ones clothing.  And if you were going to a bar, you couldn't take it in any way.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, litewave said:

Great stories! I always slow down and ask the dog owner if it is safe to pass. 95% of the time the owners go well beyond normal courtesy and clear the path entirely. A little bit of politeness goes a long way. :)

And they'll say yes, then apologize profusely after the dog bites that which neither they nor the dog has ever encountered before, an EUC.  If the dog's on a leash, it's usually not a problem.   Often, dog owners pull their dogs aside, but not so I can have a clear path, but because they are afraid little fluffy will be run over, by the lunatic on the wheel.  As if I want dog guts on my wheel, followed by a full-on face plant! Seriously!.  

No one said anything about not being polite, or not slowing down. I do slow down, actually, they can't chase something that isn't "running" and its easier to step/fall off at low speed. I also keep my eyes on them so they know I'm watching them.  Dogs love a sneak attack from behind.

Besides how would that work when a tiny little shit shoots out of a front yard you just wheeled by, hell-bent on biting you.  No owner around, and no warning.  Happened to me.

• Like 1

I was driving at slow speed, the dog was not on a leash, and absolutly no apologies from the dog owner after I confronted him with the fact that that aggresive little bugger bit me in my leg. 

@Marty Backe, you must not be afraid of dogs, I would have fell off just from anxiety(I'm not a dog person, or cat person for that matter) but why didn't you use your camera pole to fend of the dog? (also funny fact, after the video youtube showed a bunch of thumbnails of what they think is about similar to the video you just wachted and one of the thumbnails carries the title "Great white shark cage breach accident" with corresponding picture, youtube agrees that you were a attacked by a ferocious killer)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jens Muysoms said:

I was driving at slow speed, the dog was not on a leash, and absolutly no apologies from the dog owner after I confronted him with the fact that that aggresive little bugger bit me in my leg. 

@Marty Backe, you must not be afraid of dogs, I would have fell off just from anxiety(I'm not a dog person, or cat person for that matter) but why didn't you use your camera pole to fend of the dog? (also funny fact, after the video youtube showed a bunch of thumbnails of what they think is about similar to the video you just wachted and one of the thumbnails carries the title "Great white shark cage breach accident" with corresponding picture, youtube agrees that you were a attacked by a ferocious killer)

Very funny (great white shark ...).

At the time I wouldn't say that I was afraid, but I was nervous and just decided to focus like a laser beam (ignoring the ferocious sounding dog behind me) and keep riding, hoping the dog would lose interest. Fortunately it did. Made for good story telling by the EUCers that were following me (you can see them in the distance) :D

• Upvote 1

my dog barks from the backyard when i'm two houses away! gotta be the whine o' the wheel.. there's another dog in a house i ride by that's a ways from the street and it always barks when i go by

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Keith said:

I wonder whether some wheels have a high pitched whine that is out of our hearing but not a dogs hearing and so upsets them?

I agree with this. The V8 is one of the quietest wheels out there and I have yet to be chased by a dog or even be given a second glance by one and I pass dozens daily as I ride the waterfront park. A few Chihuahuas have got excited... But that is just Chihuahua attitude. The little bastards are like that with everything and everyone. 

• Like 1

My worst was hip bruising on my right side after experiencing oscillation after hitting a bump on the V8. 

I've been fortunate not to take any bad spills yet learning seated riding on the KS18S.  Had a couple of close calls.  I haven't been as careful riding seated as I should be.  I think it's overconfidence from being comfortable with riding standing. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 6:04 AM, WARPed1701D said:

I agree with this. The V8 is one of the quietest wheels out there and I have yet to be chased by a dog or even be given a second glance by one and I pass dozens daily as I ride the waterfront park.

My V8 has been chased by quite a few dogs already. I lean to a different reason than noise, but what do we know.

EDIT: this weekend it was overall three dogs chasing my V8, one of them definitely in playing (not hunting) mode. One of the dog owners told me that she had trained her dog already successfully to not chase  bicycles and scooters anymore. It seems she was considering me as more training material. At least her dog didn't bite.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

Only 1 accident past year. Light sprain on right wrist when my China X3-clone cutout with about 10% battery left when I braked hard. Landed on my butt and natural reaction was to cushion fall with wrist. Painful for 2 weeks. As for protection, mainly wear standard protection (helmet + hand, wrist, knee guards) when learning during first month on X3-clone. After that, no protection with V8. Wore standard protection twice for Tesla at full speed. Now, only helmet for > 35 kph trips. No protection for < 35 kph trips. Waiting for 2nd fall before wearing protections again. Lazy.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

No significant injuries to report here.  Twice I jumped off right in time to avoid falling, and the EUC hit my ankle causing nothing more than a nasty bruise.

I do have the same experience with small dogs: even on a leash, they bark at me and try to pursue me.  At first I was very startled, now I just try to ignore them or lift a very expressive eyebrow to the owner eyeballing my EUC.  One of the benefits of city roaming is that dogs are most of the time on a leash.

I bought four of these that I keep on my bicycle and in the handle of my euc (not while riding, or else I forget to put in my pocket).

Sabre 3-IN-1 Pepper Spray - Police Strength - Compact Size with Clip (Max Protection - 35 shots, up to 5x's more) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VM8UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_0DIrBb5TW2E49

So the research in the USA varies, but basically using pepper spray is much less force than hitting someone or a dog.

I did test this pepper spray on myself, a very minor squirt. I would think this takes the fight out of any dog or human.

Research in Belgium about pepper spray will reveal that it is an illegal weapon here. And allthough I have been bitten by a dog while riding my wheel it wouldn't have made a difference, both me and the dog were so startled from each other that the little bastard decided that he would investigate how my leg tasted. It was all over before I even realised what was happening, no way that I could have sprayed him with pepperspray to prevent it from happening.

Besides, have you considered that while driving you will most likely have an apparent wind forward of the beam(as sailors would call it) so that you have a pretty decent chance of hitting yourself with the irritating vapour, possibly hindering yourself driving the EUC in a safe manner. You said it yourself, a very minor squirt would take the fight out of any dog or human, would it also incapacitate you in such a way that you can not ensure safe driving for yourself or any bystanders?

I will even go as far as to say that I am happy that pepper spray is illegal here(come on you second amendment nutjobs, bring it on). I don't want to get sprayed in the face by someone who doesn't like me driving on the same bicycle path as he is(happened to me and a few other guys here on the forum). Just because he doesn't like me, or just because I get scared of a dog doesn't give anyone the right to use a weapon on another person or animal. I am glad that I live in a country where I don't have to worry about who is wearing a weapon(lethal or not), even in a society where some individuals mean to harm others, because chances are, they don't have weapons either as most of the crimes are opportunistic.

2 hours ago, Jens Muysoms said:

Research in Belgium about pepper spray will reveal that it is an illegal weapon here. And allthough I have been bitten by a dog while riding my wheel it wouldn't have made a difference, both me and the dog were so startled from each other that the little bastard decided that he would investigate how my leg tasted.

You said it yourself, a very minor squirt would take the fight out of any dog or human, would it also incapacitate you in such a way that you can not ensure safe driving for yourself or any bystanders?

I will even go as far as to say that I am happy that pepper spray is illegal here(come on you second amendment nutjobs, bring it on). 

If a dog bit me like that I would probably pepper spray the owner then skin the dog alive with a knife.

Maybe.

The sight and feel of a screaming wiggling bloody animal suffering while its life-force drains out in a bloody pool sounds kinda hot. The dog, not the owner. Well, maybe the owner a tiny bit. Take them both to my cabin in the woods and have a bit o' sport with them.

I wear goggles because I get dry eyes; more like a warm-weather ski mask, this would still hurt but it would not incapacitate me.

Belgium is discovering first-hand that being civil to one another is a highly unnatural state, and that importing vast number of 3rd world savages who have no such constraints will result in everyone arming themselves.

Why would you do this to your own country? I used to live in Belgium; it was beautiful.

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Belgium is discovering first-hand that being civil to one another is a highly unnatural state, and that importing vast number of 3rd world savages who have no such constraints will result in everyone arming themselves.

I do not condemn the actions of a few individuals with criminal intend that ruin the preception for those that are fleeing a war strucken region. Therefor I will not call them 3rd world savages (except of course those aformentioned individuals). On the other hand I would call your qoute about your actions against a dog that acted on instinct without the knowledge of moral constraints very savage and I sincerly hope that you were just trolling.

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The sight and feel of a screaming wiggling bloody animal suffering while its life-force drains out in a bloody pool sounds kinda hot. The dog, not the owner. Well, maybe the owner a tiny bit. Take them both to my cabin in the woods and have a bit o' sport with them.

Maybe we should just rename this topic to "how far am I willing to go to take repercussions against humans or animals threathening me of driving my wheel".

But to stick to the topic, my faith in humanity has been hurt after reading this.

• Upvote 1