Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware

Acturbo

Last minute I know but I'll be at SRT tomorrow(Saturday). Probably start at boat race parking right off Kelly drive. If anyone is interested let me know. 9am ish

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Acturbo said:

jas, you live in Ardmore?  I thought I saw someone one day riding around suburban square.  I work right down the street.  I am always riding on lancaster or around suburban square for lunch and such.  I also ride from suburban to the SRT some nights to get in a quick ride before dark and blow off some steam.  

I live two blocks from Suburban Square in Ardmore.  That was definitely I whom you saw.

Ardmore and Lower Merion are my home euc turf... back to Delaware with you, Chris!!!  Haha.

I missed the above post about a group ride until just now, so I rode the whole Perkiomen this morning:

11E5584C-E935-442E-9312-0EA9590F5BF5.thumb.jpeg.024e92d2c65d305b3065f3bdd8c17e44.jpeg

Edited by jas3
typo

7 hours ago, jas3 said:

I live two blocks from Suburban Square in Ardmore.  That was definitely I whom you saw.

Ardmore and Lower Merion are my home euc turf... back to Delaware with you, Chris!!!  Haha.

I missed the above post about a group ride until just now, so I rode the whole Perkiomen this morning:

Sorry bud, Ardmore belongs to me now!!!!!!  

Strangely a short time ago I ran into a younger gentleman riding a Z10 on Lianfair just over the bridge.  I too was riding a Z10 and we looked at each other in disbelief.  Rode with him for a short time and went on my way.  So.................there is a possibility you are 3rd in Ardmore :P

We did the SRT to downtown and over to the Ben Franklin, crossed the Ben and rode around in Camden for a short time.  Then went back and had a bite at the Reading Terminal market, and went back.  The Ben is a great ride, plenty of views................

Me and HarpMudd that is

Edited by Acturbo

I crossed the BF into Camden a few months back, rode the whole Camden waterfront (which is quite nice) and though that I would ride south to the Walt Whitman to cross back over the river and then zip back up Delaware Ave. to Spring Garden.

I got all the way down to the Walt Whitman before I found out that the WW does not have a pedestrian crossing.  D’oh!  I rode back through Camden down Broadway, which is not so nice.

I will keep a sharp eye out for the other Z10 in Ardmore.  The official EUC count in Lower Merion is up to THREE!

jas3

p.s. 20 miles today in Lower Merion (Yes I know part of that is Haverford Township too...):

B62C4581-562A-49FB-923F-950B127906B7.thumb.jpeg.3fb21510f3b0fae9bc94594063d3bde3.jpeg

Im in university city rite off the srt so im on it almost every day, being tgat its the best way to get around the city for me

I keep and unofficial tally of the various Pevs I have seen "randomly" (meetups not counted) on the SRT: 6 x Boosted Boards, 1 x Boosted Mini X,  3 x ONEWheel,  4 x E-bikes, 2 x Velomobiles and 3 x EUCs.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:41 PM, jas3 said:

11E5584C-E935-442E-9312-0EA9590F5BF5.thumb.jpeg.024e92d2c65d305b3065f3bdd8c17e44.jpeg

Hey John,

With that kind of range do you now have a KS18XL or ?? I don't see how you could ride the Perkiomen trail end to end. I started the beginning of the gravel section for about 100 feet then turn around as it was "loose gravel" at the start. I don't mind packed dirt/gravel (Forbidden Drive), but loose gravel is not enjoyable at all. Is it loose gravel for most of the route or does it vary and are there any paved portions after Oaks? My brother lives up near the end. I have an E-bike with fat tires that I will ride the trail on and then see if I want to try it on the EUC. I expect to do a 55+ miles ride on Wed, or Perhaps Thur or Fri. The upper and lower portions of the SRT are too crowded on the weekends.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, Nimbus2000 said:

Im in university city rite off the srt so im on it almost every day, being tgat its the best way to get around the city for me

I was on an E-Bike when I saw you on the Wissahickon Bike Trail, hopefully I will be on my KS18L next time.

I saw another unicycle rider in Allentown yesterday. We only talked for a block or so before going separate ways. I mentioned the forum and hope he checks it out. I saw what looked like a father son team riding thru the parkway last summer. Those guys are the reason I have one. 😃

Anyone else from the Lehigh valley area? Philly is to far to drive to ride unless there is some kind of event or something.

Jerome, I saw your ride up to Green Lane park. That's middle ground between Allentown and Philly and would be doable if you ever started a ride from there.

4 hours ago, binks00 said:

I saw another unicycle rider in Allentown yesterday. We only talked for a block or so before going separate ways. I mentioned the forum and hope he checks it out. I saw what looked like a father son team riding thru the parkway last summer. Those guys are the reason I have one. 😃

Anyone else from the Lehigh valley area? Philly is to far to drive to ride unless there is some kind of event or something.

Jerome, I saw your ride up to Green Lane park. That's middle ground between Allentown and Philly and would be doable if you ever started a ride from there.

I will drive to ABE to ride with you and to learn the best places to ride up there!

jas3

On 6/26/2019 at 12:49 AM, Jerome said:

Hey John,

With that kind of range do you now have a KS18XL or ?? I don't see how you could ride the Perkiomen trail end to end. I started the beginning of the gravel section for about 100 feet then turn around as it was "loose gravel" at the start. I don't mind packed dirt/gravel (Forbidden Drive), but loose gravel is not enjoyable at all. Is it loose gravel for most of the route or does it vary and are there any paved portions after Oaks? My brother lives up near the end. I have an E-bike with fat tires that I will ride the trail on and then see if I want to try it on the EUC. I expect to do a 55+ miles ride on Wed, or Perhaps Thur or Fri. The upper and lower portions of the SRT are too crowded on the weekends.

It varies, and yes, there are some paved areas, as you found out on your e-bike ride this week.

Nope, I still have only the 16S and am up to 1,600 miles after 10 months.  And YUP, I did *almost* the whole Perkiomen on it.

I started at the Egypt Road park rather than at the intersection of the SRT, which saved me a mile.  And I did ride rather slowly with none of my regular S turns and kept a very constant speed to minimize battery drain.  And I rode it down to zero % battery and then another 0.5 miles after that back to my car.  I BARELY made it back because of the long big uphills at the end of my ride.  Slow and constant speed is the way to milk these things for every last mile.

But I really did make it to Green Lane and back on a single charge.

Probably I will buy a 16X from Jason once I read feedback from the first batch here on these forums.  Maybe I will get the 18XL for longer rides.  Maybe I will get both!!!

When are we going riding again?

jas3 

27 minutes ago, jas3 said:

It varies, and yes, there are some paved areas, as you found out on your e-bike ride this week.

Nope, I still have only the 16S and am up to 1,600 miles after 10 months.  And YUP, I did *almost* the whole Perkiomen on it.

I started at the Egypt Road park rather than at the intersection of the SRT, which saved me a mile.  And I did ride rather slowly with none of my regular S turns and kept a very constant speed to minimize battery drain.  And I rode it down to zero % battery and then another 0.5 miles after that back to my car.  I BARELY made it back because of the long big uphills at the end of my ride.  Slow and constant speed is the way to milk these things for every last mile.

But I really did make it to Green Lane and back on a single charge.

Probably I will buy a 16X from Jason once I read feedback from the first batch here on these forums.  Maybe I will get the 18XL for longer rides.  Maybe I will get both!!!

When are we going riding again?

jas3 

Hi John,

Well I was suppose to do a 50+ mile ride, but I knew I needed to charge somewhere on upper SRT. I saw that I could charge in the restroom near the Valley Forge Visiting Center and there was an outlet exposed in the Norristown Transport Center. The first option (VFVC) would be straight forward, the Norristown option I thought might take a little stealth. I was home the other night trying to fit a laundry bag over my KS18L that I would use for stealth purposes when I accidentally hit the power button. The excess material clog the wheel from turning and blew the control board .. all in under 5 seconds. :(  No EUC riding until a new board comes and is installed. Binks00, it was John JAS3 who rode to Greenlane on his KS16s, not me. John, when I am riding again you are welcome to ride the 50+ mile ride or any part with me. I am working up to a 100 mile ride. 

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

I will drive to ABE to ride with you and to learn the best places to ride up there!

jas3

If you ever get up this way we could ride. My son rides the v8 and I just got an 18xl. A good friend of mine got a v10 recently but we have only ridden once so far. Maybe we could do a ride from Green Lane to ? Not sure where to ride from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

t varies, and yes, there are some paved areas, as you found out on your e-bike ride this week.

My brother had a major catastrophe during the high winds a few weeks back. A tree fell on his house and thankfully no one was hurt. That took away my charging station so I didn't ride the Perkiomen. It's a 76 mile ride up and back for me.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, HarpMudd said:

It’s been a bit harder to pull together larger group rides in Philly, hoping most see this and we can represent.  It will be great to meet some of the DC crew! Thanks for putting this together.

We are also in contact with the NYC group some of them will come down to Philly to ride with us . So if everything goes as plan it will be an awesome group rides North meets South in Philly. Dont know Philly rides already in telegram but i invite you all to join on out telegram chat page link is below.

t.me/DMVGlydiators

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, HarpMudd said:

I'm hoping the Philly based folks see this and can all meet for the ride. @jas3 @Acturbo @Jerome @binks00 @Nimbus2000 @WenInPhilly @Roman Brenerbronfen @trya @Salvatore Patrone 

Anyone who's attending, please let us know by RSVP'ing on our MeetUp group.  We've confirmed our starting spot on the SRT at  the public parking area adjacent to the Gillen Boathouse (St. Joe's).  Any further details, as we have them, will also be posted to MeetUp.

• Upvote 1

Hello all. I am very excited to see that, despite the heat, we’ve got a pretty nice ride shaping up for Saturday.  We’ve got 12 RSVPs, and at least one or two more that I know of. Should be a great day, and likely the biggest EUC ride in Philly?  John, aka@jas3 Is working on a route that we’ll post on Meetup, but we’ll play it by ear based on the weather.  

After the “official” ride is done, a good number of us plan to hang out, grab dinner, and get an early evening ride in. Everyone is welcome.  Route to be determined depending on what we feel like. Looking forward to seeing everyone!  I live in Baltimore but I’m a Delco guy originally, so really pumped for this. Thanks everyone for getting on board!

Edited by JBinBalt

14 hours ago, JBinBalt said:

Hello all. I am very excited to see that, despite the heat, we’ve got a pretty nice ride shaping up for Saturday.  We’ve got 12 RSVPs, and at least one or two more that I know of. Should be a great day, and likely the biggest EUC ride in Philly?  John, aka@jas3 Is working on a route that we’ll post on Meetup, but we’ll play it by ear based on the weather.  

After the “official” ride is done, a good number of us plan to hang out, grab dinner, and get an early evening ride in. Everyone is welcome.  Route to be determined depending on what we feel like. Looking forward to seeing everyone!  I live in Baltimore but I’m a Delco guy originally, so really pumped for this. Thanks everyone for getting on board!

Hello all... Saturday looks to be a scorcher, but I've mapped out a nice 40 mile route that should expose the non-Philly folks to the best place to ride.

We are going to meet near the Temple/St. Joe's boathouses, which has free parking... then head upriver to the head of the Wisahickon trail and ride just a few miles on that (also because it is shaded... and to give folks an idea of how to get to the Forbidden Drive trail, which one can take all the way up to Flourtown and then back through Germantown)... then when back on the SRT, upriver again to the mysterious Pencoyd Bridge and into the West Laurel Hill Cemetery to the Bala Cynwyd Heritage Trail head... then back down the BCHT (exploring a spur of that) to Manayunk onto the SRT again and upriver to the Conshy Brewing Company for battery recharge/bladder discharge/beer/rehydration/food/etc.  That should be at about the 20 mile mark.

Then when core body temperatures have dropped back below 145F we can head downriver on the SRT (where we will all remember to ride *very courteously* so the pedestrians and bicyclists don't have us EUCers thrown off the SRT) all the way past our initial parking spot, and boathouse row, and the Art Museum and all the way to the end across the river from Penn's Campus... then back across the river to UPenn... zip west and then u-turn to come down the famous Locust Walk on Penn's campus.  Maybe a quick loop through their park/athletic area near Franklin Field... then across the river and over to South Street east to maybe 5th street so we can do a run by Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the Constitution Center... and keep heading north to Spring Garden where we'll hang a louey to head West again back down to the Art Museum.. maybe jump over past the Rodin Museum... past the (very popular but highly inappropriate) Rocky statue at the Art Museum... then back to the SRT and then to our vehicles.

This is the Komoot Map.

Alas my wife has made dinner plans, so I can't join y'all for dinner and a night ride.

The map is "aspirational" in that this is my first effort with Komoot.  We should run pretty close to the route I have mapped, but maybe we will deviate a bit for game day decisions.  If anybody has any question/problems, please hit me up here or on my cell 610.570.8652.

I would like to comment again that strictly speaking, while there are TONS of great trails in the Philadelphia area (Chester Valley, Valley Forge Park, Perkiomen, Wisahickon, SRT, etc.) many of them have "no motorized vehicles" rules.  In friendly chats with the folks who police the trails, most of them encourage responsible electric vehicle riders. The Chester Valley trail guys are trying to get traffic off 202 and took Federal dollars to do so, thus they are VERY happy to see EUC on their trail because it is one less car on the road, even though the trail is well marked for no motorized vehicles.  Way up the SRT, I had some official ask if my EUC was electric, I said "YES", he smiled and was on his way.  The Perkiomen Trail rules say you need a medical note to ride an electric vehicle.  But none of these "no motors" rules are enforced against EUCs in the Philadelphia area at present.  That is because we EUC-ers here all SMILE and WAVE and are NICE to people.  No doubt this is the legacy of William Penn permeating the area (except at professional sporting events, during which we are the meanest people on the planet).

In NYC the bicycle-nazis seem to dislike all EUCers and complain about them and try to get them banned from "their" bicycle paths.  Here in Philadelphia, only one bicyclist has ever made a negative comment to me "NO MOTORS!"... he was probably from NYC :-). 

PLEASE help us keep Philadelphia an EUC friendly region on our ride on Saturday and elsewhere by keeping speeds reasonable, always yielding to pedestrians and bicyclists, and in general being the friendly good folks that you already are.  William Penn would expect no less... and maybe for the evening ride y'all can swing by Penn Treaty Park on the Delaware.  :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jas3 said:

the Conshy Brewing Company for battery recharge/bladder discharge/beer/rehydration/food/etc. 

Good to know John! I was wondering where the group could charge and I will keep it in mind personally, thanks! By-the-way the route you chose is fantastic. Riders will spend and lot of time in the shade or at least near the water. My wheel is in pieces, I hope to have it together by Saturday. If not I will probably follow on my e-bike and take some pictures/video.