Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware

Acturbo

50 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

I've been mainly riding around neighborhoods at night just getting some time under my belt.  I live outside of the borough.  I only weigh 140, so should be able to max out the mileage.. I've yet to charge it to 100% and ride until it's dead.  I work near the PA/DE border, so could do an after work ride - I'd be up for checking out the Northern DE greenway trail.  Also up for Schuylkill River Trail or any of the others.

After work is tough for me unless you want to venture down to the Newark area and ride on University of Delaware campus.  I will be riding this weekend at some point.  If you want we can meet up.  I was thinking of doing the Philly thing(Schuylkill trail and a bit around the art museum and such). 

22 hours ago, Acturbo said:

After work is tough for me unless you want to venture down to the Newark area and ride on University of Delaware campus.  I will be riding this weekend at some point.  If you want we can meet up.  I was thinking of doing the Philly thing(Schuylkill trail and a bit around the art museum and such). 

Cool. What time do you normally go and from what point on the trail would you ride?  I'm new to this, so open to ideas.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HarpMudd said:

Cool. What time do you normally go and from what point on the trail would you ride?  I'm new to this, so open to ideas.

I'm pretty flexible Harp. I'd say if we start at the top of the trail and ride back that would be best if you are newer to it. This way you'd get a little of the trail and we can veer off and see the sights like the art center and such. I dispize paying for parking and find where ever I can that is free I have no problem riding any distance to meet up though if you'd rather park elsewhere. Why don't you PM me your number and I'll shoot you a text and we can figure it all out. I'm wide open this weekend so dates and times don't really matter, only preference is that it be during the day and not at night.

I am away on holiday but when I return (8-13-18) I ride every weekend (and most week days during the summer) around the river drives from the falls bridge. I so far have seen one euc (young lady on a KS14S), two "OneWheels" and three ESK8 boards. 

2 hours ago, Jerome said:

I am away on holiday but when I return (8-13-18) I ride every weekend (and most week days during the summer) around the river drives from the falls bridge. I so far have seen one euc (young lady on a KS14S), two "OneWheels" and three ESK8 boards. 

Hit me up Jerome.  I always down to ride.....................................

Never seen a random EUC.  I'm in Delaware though so my chances are slim to none to begin with...........................

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 6:28 AM, HarpMudd said:

Hey Jerome, def up for meeting some time. The only way to get more EUC awareness in Philly is to ride around, stop and answer people's questions.

Building up awareness in your area is the way to go. I'm from DC, and I know from riding around my city that passive rides are a great marketing tool. People enjoy stopping and inquiring about the wheels when they see them.

For example, I Talked with a guy recently who bought his wheel after merely seeing another person riding one. The device peaked his curiosity. He did some independent research and ended up buying one.

Sometimes you might even bump into a random EUC rider during a ride. In fact, this very thing happened to me yesterday when I was out riding on Rock Creek Trail. We stopped and chatted for a while and continued on our way; that is always fun.

As a suggestion, if you are not already doing so, you guys can also join group rides in DC. There was a group ride in DC last Saturday. I didn't personally participate in that one, but it seemed nicely-attended (they usually are) judging from the videos and photos they posted. DC is a bit of a trip for you guys, but not that far at all. You can also invite riders from DC to ride with you guys in the Philly area; that would be fun.

If they are invited, riders in The DMV (DC Area) may also like to swing up to Philly for a group ride sometime. Might be best to arrange larger visiting rides around the festival type events that happen in Philly; like the Jazz Festival or Odunde. 

Just making suggestions to offer some support for your efforts in Philly. Good people in Philly, I enjoyed my brief time living there many years ago as a student at Temple University.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, binks00 said:

Lehigh Valley here. Anyone else nearby?

I travel up to Easton to visit from time to time. If you would like to meet up we certainly can.........

16 hours ago, Acturbo said:

I travel up to Easton to visit from time to time. If you would like to meet up we certainly can.........

Let me know next time you go. I want to ride Green Lane Park sometime but don't know if it's euc friendly. It's between Allentown and Philly, sort of. Ever been there?

I am back from vacation, but alas, I am also back at work. I can still ride on Saturdays or Sundays depending on family activities. I am a dedicated two/one wheels rider and don't own a car. My range including to the ride and the return can't be more than 30 miles and has to be accessible mainly by bike trails or lanes. I therefore tend to ride the Schuylkill and Wissahickon trails. The Philly Art Museum stairs (Think Rocky) would be an ideal place to meet.or  the Falls Bridge at the entrance to Manyunk. I will try and monitor this tread more closely.

7 hours ago, Jerome said:

I am back from vacation, but alas, I am also back at work. I can still ride on Saturdays or Sundays depending on family activities. I am a dedicated two/one wheels rider and don't own a car. My range including to the ride and the return can't be more than 30 miles and has to be accessible mainly by bike trails or lanes. I therefore tend to ride the Schuylkill and Wissahickon trails. The Philly Art Museum stairs (Think Rocky) would be an ideal place to meet.or  the Falls Bridge at the entrance to Manyunk. I will try and monitor this tread more closely.

Acturbo and I rode SRT a few weeks ago and did the "Philly Tour" - Art Museum, Liberty Bell, Love Mark, Penns Landing, and China Town. I got about 25 miles out of my V8 and still had about 35% battery left!  Def up for another ride some day.

Edited by HarpMudd

On 8/31/2018 at 12:27 PM, binks00 said:

Let me know next time you go. I want to ride Green Lane Park sometime but don't know if it's euc friendly. It's between Allentown and Philly, sort of. Ever been there?

I have not heard of it nor been to it. Willing to give it a shot though. I'll let you know next time I'll be in the area

On 8/31/2018 at 1:09 PM, Jerome said:

Either meeting spot would work for me. Scenery wise the art museum would be more ideal. Let me know the next Saturday you ride. I do work some Saturdays so not all work for me.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:09 PM, Jerome said:

Brand new rider here in Ardmore.  KS16S arrived Thursday night.  I can already mount and ride straight indefinitely, but I am still working on turns.  I would love to hit the Wissahickon and Schuykill trails in a couple weeks with you @Jerome

Today was day 4, and I did 32.5 miles from the Cynwyd Historic Trail trailhead in Bala to Manyunk, then down to the end of the SRT, then up to Conshy, then back to Manyunk and finally Bala.  4 hours.  GREAT ride.  Next weekend, I will try out the Wissahickon.  If anybody wants to join, let me know!

Wow,

I must be just missing you guys. I am almost always do the SRT from either Falls Bridge or Midvale avenue to Christian St (end) then back to Falls bridge via MLK Drive. I will post more detail about possible meetup after work tonight - around 9:30 pm local.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jerome said:

Wow,

I must be just missing you guys. I am almost always do the SRT from either Falls Bridge or Midvale avenue to Christian St (end) then back to Falls bridge via MLK Drive. I will post more detail about possible meetup after work tonight - around 9:30 pm local.

Great, @Jerome.  Really looking forward to riding with you!

@Roman Brenerbronfen and I are going to try to meet up on Sunday morning the 16th.  As the newbie, I'm happy to ride anywhere you two want to go and can be pretty flexible with time outside of work hours.

I banged out 18 miles last night from the Cynwyd trailhead to the SRT in Manyunk to the Wissahickon Trail to the Forbidden Trail all the way up past Bells Mill up to Northwestern Ave, then back again.  There are a few spots that are rather bumpy and poorly maintained, but it was still a very nice ride.

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

Great, @Jerome.  Really looking forward to riding with you!

@Roman Brenerbronfen and I are going to try to meet up on Sunday morning the 16th.  As the newbie, I'm happy to ride anywhere you two want to go and can be pretty flexible with time outside of work hours.

I banged out 18 miles last night from the Cynwyd trailhead to the SRT in Manyunk to the Wissahickon Trail to the Forbidden Trail all the way up past Bells Mill up to Northwestern Ave, then back again.  There are a few spots that are rather bumpy and poorly maintained, but it was still a very nice ride.

Hehe, you really got the fever. Sunday the 16th looks good right now. Have you had anyone complain about you riding a EUC on the SRT from Manyunk north? If not I think I will start riding it up to at least Norristown. I can meet at Art Museum, Falls Bridge, Manyunk ..?  I don't enjoy riding on gravel-dirt and prefer paved trails or bicycle lanes.

• Upvote 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:35 AM, Roman Brenerbronfen said:

ID be interested too. I live in queen village and would be game for a ride! I have a new z10 (had a one e+ before) 

B) I would love to see a Z10 in the flesh. I ride a KS18L. I hope to ride with you on the 16th.

• Upvote 1

@Jerome @Roman Brenerbronfen

If you gentlemen don't mind meeting in Conshohocken, it is 9.0 miles upriver and then across the new-ish Sullivan's Bridge to the VF visitor's center.   Maybe we grab a bite or a beer in Conshy when done?  If 18 miles is not enough, we can also loop the VF paved trail before heading downriver.  Also there is a little tap room right on the SRT here:  http://www.conshohockenbrewing.com/   if you want to grab a pint (or a Gatorade) at the end of the ride.

Nobody has complained at all about my EUC on the SRT, but I ride respectfully and carefully.  Pedestrians seem to love it.  Cyclists generally pass me (except on the uphills) and make positive comments, if any at all.  

Jerome, if you don't like gravel, dirt, stay off the Forbidden Trail in the Wissahickon... it is definitely challenging in parts.  I had 2 unscheduled dismounts (neither resulting in a fall) last night, thanks to a deep rut hidden under leaves + a giant branch that I couldn't stop in time for.  I am a cautious rider, so neither presented any risk of injury, plus I had wrist guards, helmet, plus kneepads... none of which I needed.

If Conshy is too far from town for either of you, LMK, and I'm happy to meet anywhere.

5 hours ago, jas3 said:

Jerome, if you don't like gravel, dirt, stay off the Forbidden Trail in the Wissahickon... it is definitely challenging in parts.  I had 2 unscheduled dismounts (neither resulting in a fall) last night, thanks to a deep rut hidden under leaves + a giant branch that I couldn't stop in time for.  I am a cautious rider, so neither presented any risk of injury, plus I had wrist guards, helmet, plus kneepads... none of which I needed.

That's precisely why I don't like dirt-gravel trails, especially with all the rain and wind have had. Conshohocken is okay for me. The 18 mile ride is fine as it is another 10 miles home for me after the ride. 

• Upvote 1