Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware

Acturbo

On 9/7/2018 at 1:44 PM, jas3 said:

If you gentlemen don't mind meeting in Conshohocken, it is 9.0 miles upriver and then across the new-ish Sullivan's Bridge to the VF visitor's center.   Maybe we grab a bite or a beer in Conshy when done?  If 18 miles is not enough, we can also loop the VF paved trail before heading downriver.  Also there is a little tap room right on the SRT here:  http://www.conshohockenbrewing.com/   if you want to grab a pint (or a Gatorade) at the end of the ride.

It will probably be uncertain weather wise up to Saturday night, but "assuming" Sunday the 16th is a go, what time shall we meet? At what speed range will you two be comfortable?  I am comfortable riding slow or briskly.

Edited by Jerome

Hey guys.  Sorry I don't watch the forums as much as I used to but I'm always up for riding when weather permits.  I can go at pretty much any pace I prefer a medium to high pace but I understand not everyone has as much experience and safety obviously takes priority.  Little early for planning weather wise but I will probably be riding the SRT next weekend either the 29th or 30th.  There is a slim possibility for this Sunday as well.  If anyone has interest let me know.  Distance is not an issue as I have wheels with varying capacity, my rides tend to be on the longer side.  

2 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

Hey guys.  Sorry I don't watch the forums as much as I used to but I'm always up for riding when weather permits.  I can go at pretty much any pace I prefer a medium to high pace but I understand not everyone has as much experience and safety obviously takes priority.  Little early for planning weather wise but I will probably be riding the SRT next weekend either the 29th or 30th.  There is a slim possibility for this Sunday as well.  If anyone has interest let me know.  Distance is not an issue as I have wheels with varying capacity, my rides tend to be on the longer side.  

Jas3 and I had a very nice ride this passed Sunday. 25 miles for him and 32+ for me. All three dates mentioned are possible right now for me. What part of the SRT will you be riding? Have you tried to ride the Delaware equivalent near Newark? I bicyclist friend of mind implied EUC might not be allowed. Do you know? I ride an unlocked KS18L but I tend to stay in the 18-22 mph range with the occasional blast to hang with a fast cyclist or whatever.

8 hours ago, Jerome said:

Jas3 and I had a very nice ride this passed Sunday. 25 miles for him and 32+ for me. All three dates mentioned are possible right now for me. What part of the SRT will you be riding? Have you tried to ride the Delaware equivalent near Newark? I bicyclist friend of mind implied EUC might not be allowed. Do you know? I ride an unlocked KS18L but I tend to stay in the 18-22 mph range with the occasional blast to hang with a fast cyclist or whatever.

Hey Jerome,

I normally start somewhere around the boat houses and make a decision whether to go inner city or toward Manayunk once I get there.  Manayunk may be the way to go as we could stop for lunch/drink/charge at a pub there if necessary.  Really it doesn't matter to me I just like to ride.  

I have ridden the greenway from Trolley square to North Wilmington.  The new trail just opened a week ago that goes from downtown Wilmington to Newcastle so I have not had a chance to try that one yet but may this week.  If there is a trail around I've pretty much ridden it.  Never really have an issue riding any trails in the area probably mostly because no one even has a remote clue in DE what an EUC is.  Police yelled at me on the SRT Friday and told me to slow down but that's about it.  18-22 is perfect.  I had a crash on the SRT about 6 weeks ago at around 30 mph so I've been taking it easy as that was a pretty scary experience and hence has made me change my riding style a bit and also be more cautious..............

2 hours ago, binks00 said:

Are any of you local guys thinking about selling a wheel this fall or next spring? My son is really starting to get into and needs something bigger than a glide 2.

I recycle my wheels about once every 6 months to a year so I'll probably have one for sale.  I'll let you know if so.  It's a shame I just sold my ACM 1300.  If I would have known would have much rather sold it local..........................

Edited by Acturbo

8 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Hey Jerome,

I normally start somewhere around the boat houses and make a decision whether to go inner city or toward Manayunk once I get there.  Manayunk may be the way to go as we could stop for lunch/drink/charge at a pub there if necessary.  Really it doesn't matter to me I just like to ride.  

I have ridden the greenway from Trolley square to North Wilmington.  The new trail just opened a week ago that goes from downtown Wilmington to Newcastle so I have not had a chance to try that one yet but may this week.  If there is a trail around I've pretty much ridden it.  Never really have an issue riding any trails in the area probably mostly because no one even has a remote clue in DE what an EUC is.  Police yelled at me on the SRT Friday and told me to slow down but that's about it.  18-22 is perfect.  I had a crash on the SRT about 6 weeks ago at around 30 mph so I've been taking it easy as that was a pretty scary experience and hence has made me change my riding style a bit and also be more cautious..............

Wow, a crash at 30 mph! I "assume" it was a crash and not a cut-off? My minimum weekend ride is from my home to the SRT Christian street dead end using Kelly drive. I then ride the MLK/West River Drive to the Falls Bridge at the start of Manyunk. I can meet you any where along the route: parking lot, Art Museum stairs, Main Street .. ? I need to ride in the morning, at least early enough to ride MLK Drive while the no cars barriers are up (they sometimes take the barrier at the entrance near the Art Museum down around noon) What wheels do you have? Almost any should be able to circle the Drives twice if desired.

I see you are selling your Dualtron. The cops will definitely stop you in Philly, the bikers will complain and the park guards will chase you from the SRT with rare exceptions(then it's usually scooters that barely looks like they are motorized. .. certainly that doesn't include the Dualtrons lol) How do they treat scooters in DE?

@Jerome @Acturbo  I'm free any time on Saturday or Sunday.  Let me know where you two want to meet up and I'll join.

I was also thinking of hitting up one or more of these loops this weekend if that's of interest:

https://www.fodc.org/visit-the-canal/loop-trails-hikers-bikers/

That's a bit more of a drive for you Acturbo.  I can do pickup/dropoff for you Jerome, if that's helpful...  otherwise I'm happy to zip around the SRT and MLK Drive and etc.

51 minutes ago, jas3 said:

@Jerome @Acturbo  I'm free any time on Saturday or Sunday.  Let me know where you two want to meet up and I'll join.

I was also thinking of hitting up one or more of these loops this weekend if that's of interest:

That's a bit more of a drive for you Acturbo.  I can do pickup/dropoff for you Jerome, if that's helpful...  otherwise I'm happy to zip around the SRT and MLK Drive and etc.

The loops look interesting, but a bit too much gravel-dirt for me. If you do one or more, let me know what the ride is like terrain and pedestrians wise. Maybe I will try in the future. I will be doing the routine SRT/MLK loop a couple of times on Sunday, hopefully partly at least with Acturbo and you?

20 hours ago, Jerome said:

Wow, a crash at 30 mph! I "assume" it was a crash and not a cut-off? My minimum weekend ride is from my home to the SRT Christian street dead end using Kelly drive. I then ride the MLK/West River Drive to the Falls Bridge at the start of Manyunk. I can meet you any where along the route: parking lot, Art Museum stairs, Main Street .. ? I need to ride in the morning, at least early enough to ride MLK Drive while the no cars barriers are up (they sometimes take the barrier at the entrance near the Art Museum down around noon) What wheels do you have? Almost any should be able to circle the Drives twice if desired.

I see you are selling your Dualtron. The cops will definitely stop you in Philly, the bikers will complain and the park guards will chase you from the SRT with rare exceptions(then it's usually scooters that barely looks like they are motorized. .. certainly that doesn't include the Dualtrons lol) How do they treat scooters in DE?

Jerome,

It was a crash/cutout.  Basically hit an invisible bump that made me lean super far forward and caused me to overlean so to speak.  I have an injured tailbone but walked away mostly ok thankfully.  Had elbow and wrist guards and knee and shin guards.  No road rash at all knock on wood.  

Scooters don't exist in DE of that magnitude, so they wouldn't know what to think.  I'd be hard pressed to find someone on a trail that could catch me at 40 mph in either DE or PA.  

I'm up for wherever you'd like to meet.  I have a monster 2400 and an msuper X 1600 as my current wheels so distance is not an issue.  This weekend is looking like it's going to be out as my Sunday is filling up very quickly unless we do a late afternoon ride like 330-4 pm ish.  Next weekend should not be a problem any time.    

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

I'm interested in the trails.  I love the off road stuff, doesn't bother me at all.  I have even done some middle run mountain biking trails.  I'd be game one day but for the most current trip lets stick to SRT so Jerome can attend.  

http://www.kencox.net/pdf/wcc_middlerun_map.pdf

Edited by Acturbo

45 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

I'm interested in the trails.  I love the off road stuff, doesn't bother me at all.  I have even done some middle run mountain biking trails.  I'd be game one day but for the most current trip lets stick to SRT so Jerome can attend.  

http://www.kencox.net/pdf/wcc_middlerun_map.pdf

OK... I will hit the Delaware towpath on Saturday AM early.  Then on Sunday, I am good for the SRT any time.

8 hours ago, Acturbo said:

I'm up for wherever you'd like to meet.  I have a monster 2400 and an msuper X 1600 as my current wheels so distance is not an issue.  This weekend is looking like it's going to be out as my Sunday is filling up very quickly unless we do a late afternoon ride like 330-4 pm ish.  Next weekend should not be a problem any time.   

No worries,

You said from the very start that the 29th and 30th were free and that this Sunday was iffy. Maybe you and JAS3 could do a trail ride on the 29th and the STR on the 30th which is goof for me. I really would like to see the MSX!

7 hours ago, jas3 said:

OK... I will hit the Delaware towpath on Saturday AM early.  Then on Sunday, I am good for the SRT any time

JAS3, I will probably circle the Kelly/MLK a couple of times Sunday am then go home. If you are going to  be there Sunday am, then we can meet at any parking lot, Art Museum Stairs ...? If you rather ride somewhere else, no problems we can ride with Acturbo the following weekend.

@Jerome  Let’s meet at 9AM on Sunday at the little park area on the river next to (east of) the Art Museum just downriver from the Waterworks.  It’s shady, and there are benches there, in case one of us is early.

@Acturbo  Give me a shout if you want to join me on Saturday AM for a Delaware towpath ride.

4 hours ago, jas3 said:

Let’s meet at 9AM on Sunday at the little park area on the river next to (east of) the Art Museum just downriver from the Waterworks.  It’s shady, and there are benches there, in case one of us is early.

That's fine with me. I believe the area you are referring to is off to the right (riverside) as one would be riding below the Art Museum heading for the SRT to Christian Street dead end? I assume you would park in the parking lot that proceeds it. How about we ride to the Christian Street dead end, turn around and loop the river drives. We would go down MLK side and come back up the Kelly side. We could stop in the cafe by the bike rentals to refresh. That would be it for me as there would be another 8 miles home. 

If you want to try some street riding we could ride the SRT to Pine Street exit. Ride Pine down to Columbus Blvd. Ride that bike lane to Spring Garden. Ride Spring Garden (bike lane all the way) back to the Art Museum.

5 hours ago, Jerome said:

That's fine with me. I believe the area you are referring to is off to the right (riverside) as one would be riding below the Art Museum heading for the SRT to Christian Street dead end? I assume you would park in the parking lot that proceeds it. How about we ride to the Christian Street dead end, turn around and loop the river drives. We would go down MLK side and come back up the Kelly side. We could stop in the cafe by the bike rentals to refresh. That would be it for me as there would be another 8 miles home. 

If you want to try some street riding we could ride the SRT to Pine Street exit. Ride Pine down to Columbus Blvd. Ride that bike lane to Spring Garden. Ride Spring Garden (bike lane all the way) back to the Art Museum.

Yes... it is just on the river and is called the Water Works South Garden.  Very pleasant place to hang out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Water+Works+South+Garden/@39.9649991,-75.1835589,222m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c7b471b4ec51:0xf686b0ac50084b9!8m2!3d39.9650874!4d-75.1830992

My preference is to loop MLK+Kelly, but I will leave it up to your preference.  Game day decision! 

See you soon, Jerome.

On 9/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, Jerome said:

No worries,

You said from the very start that the 29th and 30th were free and that this Sunday was iffy. Maybe you and JAS3 could do a trail ride on the 29th and the STR on the 30th which is goof for me. I really would like to see the MSX!

Jerome,

I can bring the MSX no problem.  Also have a Z10 I forgot to mention that one.  Been riding the monster for 2-3 weeks and switched back to the MSX and I feel like I'm ridin an Mten.  Getting cold out there.  Rode to the store tonight and had long sleeves and jeans on and still cold.  MSX just got a makeover so I doubt you'll see one like it...............

MSX.jpg

20 hours ago, Acturbo said:

Jerome,

I can bring the MSX no problem.  Also have a Z10 I forgot to mention that one.  Been riding the monster for 2-3 weeks and switched back to the MSX and I feel like I'm ridin an Mten.  Getting cold out there.  Rode to the store tonight and had long sleeves and jeans on and still cold.  MSX just got a makeover so I doubt you'll see one like it...............

MSX.jpg

I just saw this post. I would like to see the Z10 more than the MSX. I like cooper and black. Both Saturday and Sunday are  looking good, weather wise, this far out. 

21 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I just saw this post. I would like to see the Z10 more than the MSX. I like cooper and black. Both Saturday and Sunday are  looking good, weather wise, this far out. 

I'll bring both.  I'll just leave one behind......................

King Song 16S ride report for the Delaware River Towpath on Saturday 22nd September.

I parked in the lot on Black Rock Road between Morrisville and Yardley and proceeded north on the west side of the Delaware River through Yardley, under 295, through Washington Crossing, up towards New Hope where the trail just sort of ends without a lot of warning.  One finds one’s self on River Road then S. Main Street, but not for very long.  I blended in with traffic doing 15 mph and headed north to E. Bridge Street and rode east across to Lambertville.  

The bridge was signed “no bicycles” and “motorized vehicles only.”. As there was no traffic behind me, I decided to see if I could euc my way across.  This is challenging because my wheel is a little narrow, and the steel bridge has vertical and horizontal grooves in it that were rather slippery.. the grooves try to grab the wheel which makes balancing very hard.. the temptation is to over correct.  I made it across without incident, but one of NJ’s traffic guys stopped me and said “YOU CAN’T RIDE THAT ON THERE”.  I said “OK.. I won’t do it again, but is there a sign about that?”. He said “The sign says no bicycles”.  I said “I am not a bicycle.”. He said “The sign says MOTORIZED VEHICLES ONLY.” I said “I have a motor.” He gave me a look.  I said “Officer, if you don’t want me on the bridge, I definitely won’t ride on the bridge again, but I did want to establish that there are no signs currently prohibiting a motorized single wheeled vehicle... but I will be courteous and respectful of your wishes.  Have a great day!” And I shook his hand and gave him a a smile.  He smiled back... and I hung a left onto the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail.  I proceed to ride under 202 and all the way up to Stockton, NJ on the east side of the river.  

At this point I noticed Darknessbot said I had 48% power left, which was not great, since I stil had to cross the river and get back to my vehicle.  I was about 16.7 miles into the trip at this point.  I crossed the river again at Bridge Street towards the Centre Bridge Inn on the PA side where I found a sign that the towpath trail was CLOSED for construction and to be careful because River Road (one’s only option) was dangerous, had fast moving traffic, and had no shoulders.  Great.

So I brought my euc out to the road and walked it for maybe 0.5 miles until a pod of bikers passed me.  I hopped on my euc, caught up with the pod, and drafted the pod south on River Road (32) until I got to Canal Park where I was able to take a bridge across the canal and get back onto the tow path, which I rode south under 202 and down to Bridge Street. Then a right put me on S. Main in New Hope, where going 5 to 10 mph, I was going the same speed as other traffic.  I missed the entrance back on to the towpath trail and went farther south on River Road, which was a little dangerous with traffic passing me.  I found the next bridge over the canal at Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve... jumped onto the trail there... and rode south back to my car.

Darknessbot told me I hit 0.0 miles remaining about 0.7 miles away from my car whereas the King Song app told me I had maybe 16% power left.  I nursed her in at lower than usual speed and skipped a planned rest stop to preserve battery life and to save time in case I needed to walk the last half mile or so.  A quick stretch of the legs, and I was in the car and headed home with 34.0 miles logged in a little over 4 hours.

Thoughts on the trail and route for others:  PROBABLY the trail has a “no motorized vehicles” sign, though I didn’t see any on the PA side.  The NJ side definitely did have such a sign... or at least one that I saw.  But almost every walker and bicyclist I passed or saw said “cool” or “neato” or gave me a smile.  I think eucs are too new to be disliked, and the bicyclists count us one of their own unlike a gasoline powered dirt bike.  I would say as long as you ride respectfully both the PA and NJ walkers and bikers will tolerate us.

That being said, the trail is packed gravel mostly, loose gravel in others, paved in a few.  There are low bridges that require you to bow deeply to get under them or to jump off and walk your euc across a road.  There is one 2” deep ford that I decided to try and was successfully able to cross without shorting out my euc or falling off.  Not sure I would do even a 3” deep ford.  The path is VERY narrow in places, so I kept my speed very low in such areas for safety.

If anybody has any questions or thoughts, please post them here, and I will try to reply.  Just please ride respectfully on these trails, and the bicyclists and walkers should be happy with us.   

8CFF3C6A-1489-432F-96F0-628F988E36C8.jpeg

Edited by jas3
typo

1 hour ago, jas3 said:

King Song 16S ride report for the Delaware River Towpath on Saturday 22nd September.

I parked in the lot on Black Rock Road between Morrisville and Yardley and proceeded north on the west side of the Delaware River through Yardley, under 295, through Washington Crossing, up towards New Hope where the trail just sort of ends without a lot of warning.  One finds one’s self on River Road then S. Main Street, but not for very long.  I blended in with traffic doing 15 mph and headed north to E. Bridge Street and rode east across to Lambertville.  

The bridge was signed “no bicycles” and “motorized vehicles only.”. As there was no traffic behind me, I decided to see if I could euc my way across.  This is challenging because my wheel is a little narrow, and the steel bridge has vertical and horizontal grooves in it that were rather slippery.. the grooves try to grab the wheel which makes balancing very hard.. the temptation is to over correct.  I made it across without incident, but one of NJ’s traffic guys stopped me and said “YOU CAN’T RIDE THAT ON THERE”.  I said “OK.. I won’t do it again, but is there a sign about that?”. He said “The sign says no bicycles”.  I said “I am not a bicycle.”. He said “The sign says MOTORIZED VEHICLES ONLY.” I said “I have a motor.” He gave me a look.  I said “Officer, if you don’t want me on the bridge, I definitely won’t ride on the bridge again, but I did want to establish that there are no signs currently prohibiting a motorized single wheeled vehicle... but I will be courteous and respectful of your wishes.  Have a great day!” And I shook his hand and gave him a a smile.  He smiled back... and I hung a left onto the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park Trail.  I proceed to ride under 202 and all the way up to Stockton, NJ on the east side of the river.  

At this point I noticed Darknessbot said I had 48% power left, which was not great, since I stil had to cross the river and get back to my vehicle.  I was about 16.7 miles into the trip at this point.  I crossed the river again at Bridge Street towards the Centre Bridge Inn on the PA side where I found a sign that the towpath trail was CLOSED for construction and to be careful because River Road (one’s only option) was dangerous, had fast moving traffic, and had no shoulders.  Great.

So I brought my euc out to the road and walked it for maybe 0.5 miles until a pod of bikers passed me.  I hopped on my euc, caught up with the pod, and drafted the pod south on River Road (32) until I got to Canal Park where I was able to take a bridge across the canal and get back onto the tow path, which I rode south under 202 and down to Bridge Street. Then a right put me on S. Main in New Hope, where going 5 to 10 mph, I was going the same speed as other traffic.  I missed the entrance back on to the towpath trail and went farther south on River Road, which was a little dangerous with traffic passing me.  I found the next bridge over the canal at Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve... jumped onto the trail there... and rode south back to my car.

Darknessbot told me I hit 0.0 miles remaining about 0.7 miles away from my car whereas the King Song app told me I had maybe 16% power left.  I nursed her in at lower than usual speed and skipped a planned rest stop to preserve battery life and to save time in case I needed to walk the last half mile or so.  A quick stretch of the legs, and I was in the car and headed home with 34.0 miles logged in a little over 4 hours.

Thoughts on the trail and route for others:  PROBABLY the trail has a “no motorized vehicles” sign, though I didn’t see any on the PA side.  The NJ side definitely did have such a sign... or at least one that I saw.  But almost every walker and bicyclist I passed or saw said “cool” or “neato” or gave me a smile.  I think eucs are too new to be disliked, and the bicyclists count us one of their own unlike a gasoline powered dirt bike.  I would say as long as you ride respectfully both the PA and NJ walkers and bikers will tolerate us.

That being said, the trail is packed gravel mostly, loose gravel in others, paved in a few.  There are low bridges that require you to bow deeply to get under them or to jump off and walk your euc across a road.  There is one 2” deep ford that I decided to try and was successfully able to cross without shorting out my euc or falling off.  Not sure I would do even a 3” deep ford.  The path is VERY narrow in places, so I kept my speed very low in such areas for safety.

If anybody has any questions or thoughts, please post them here, and I will try to reply.  Just please ride respectfully on these trails, and the bicyclists and walkers should be happy with us.   

8CFF3C6A-1489-432F-96F0-628F988E36C8.jpeg

Great report! You, however, confirmed my nightmares about trail riding .. unknown trail riding at that. I know the grated bridge in which you refer. My motorcycle/scooter buddies and I hated to cross it. You did it on your KS16S .. god bless you, better you than me. I suspect "max speed" happened when you picked up your wheel. :w00t2: Your riding skills level accomplished in such a short period of time is amazing!:cheers:

@Jerome @jas3

Ok guys, weekend approaching quickly.  Looks like both days will be decent.  Trying to plan out what we are doing ahead of time so I can plan my weekend.  

What time do we want to meet?  Where are we going to start/end?  Saturday or Sunday?  

13 hours ago, Acturbo said:

@Jerome @jas3

Ok guys, weekend approaching quickly.  Looks like both days will be decent.  Trying to plan out what we are doing ahead of time so I can plan my weekend.  

What time do we want to meet?  Where are we going to start/end?  Saturday or Sunday?  

I'm free both days and would prefer to meet at 8am or 9am and will happily ride up to 35 miles with you both.